Apple's iOS 6.1 reportedly causing 3G and battery issues for some iPhone users

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wonder what's more likely: every single version of the software destroying people's battery life or people not knowing how to treat their batteries and what features use what power.

Or not their fault at all.

When you come up with these kind of statements, doesn't something in your head go off to say: "hey, wait, this is not the smartest thing to post"? Really? By now you really think that most people have no clue how to use their iPhones or is it more like Apple still has a battery vs hardware issue that is still prevalent in the iPhone 5? Maybe you're not thinking right...

• Reply 42 of 61

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Whenever I read your posts, I'm reminded of the statements of the Iraqi Information Minister during the Iraq War.

"There are no American troops in Baghdad!" [said with several advancing American tanks clearly visible in the background].

"There are no problems with the iPhone for which Apple is to blame! None! The detractors are all just using it wrong!"

This would be funny or, at the very least, in any way accurate, if it was the only thing I ever did. Shame it's not, huh?

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

When you come up with these kind of statements, doesn't something in your head go off to say: "hey, wait, this is not the smartest thing to post"? Really? 

You meant to reply to a low post count user claiming to have battery trouble.

By now you really think that most people have no clue how to use their iPhones…

ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY. People don't have a clue how to treat their batteries. They couldn't care less. It should just do whatever they want it to do.

or is it more like Apple still has a battery vs hardware issue that is still prevalent in the iPhone 5? Maybe you're not thinking right...

Let's ask another question: Is Apple stupid? Are users stupid? Does Apple know how to write software? Do users? What about the average man on the street makes you think, "He sure knows how to manage his battery effectively."?

So do you think Apple is so worthlessly stupid that they've had a broken mobile OS for roughly two years? Or maybe people run into battery trouble for other reasons than just Apple's shortcomings.

• Reply 43 of 61
    "as it has been found to cause 3G performance."

3G performance what? 3G performance problems? 3G performance improvements? Please finish the sentence.

Edit: Sorry this was repetitive. Hate that the first page gives a smattering of comments and you have to dig to find all the rest.
  • Reply 44 of 61

By no means is this a solution, but I have found if your put your iPhone into recovery mode and reinstall the OS, it seems to have resolved the problem.  I have an iPhone 5 which exhibited the battery drain and heating issues.  Once I reloaded the OS, the phone has been running fine.

• Reply 45 of 61
    Exactly how is "a number of iPhone users" quantified? Is it a hundred or millions? Not saying it is not an issue, but give the diversity of different apps and use cases, unless it is a high quantifiable number it is hard to tell if it is an actual issue.
  • Reply 46 of 61

I'm on Orange EE (Everything Everywhere, or more aptly Nothing Anywhere) so something that 'caused 3G performance' would be very welcome indeed...!

• Reply 47 of 61

Juice pack'ed iPhone. As the reflection shows, picture courtesy of my Mac ^^

• Reply 48 of 61
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Juice pack'ed iPhone. As the reflection shows, picture courtesy of my Mac ^^

Surely that picture is mirrored otherwise how do we explain that AAPL chart to flourish¿
  • Reply 49 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by manontheedge View Post

I downloaded iOS 6.1 and have been unable to update apps and the general speed of both wifi and 3G is greatly reduced. Can't even open pictures in Facebook without a few minutes waiting.

The whole iPhone experience, the reason were all so smug next to other phone users had been erased in one update. Not for the first time apple has p*ssed off its customers.

I've had every model iPhone and I'm due upgrade at the end of feb and was looking forward to the iPhone 5, however I'm not so sure any more.......

You're fooling no one.

1. If you had every model iPhone (I have), then you should know issues are nothing new in iOS updates. EVERY VERSION HAD BUGS. I've experienced battery drain bugs on and off across several releases of iOS since BEFORE it was called "iOS." It's also why I don't upgrade to the latest OS X or iOS release until at least a week or two have passed. A real Apple user would understand why that's wise.

2. Apple users don't call themselves "so smug." That's a description used by people who don't like Apple users. And smug to whom? It's the Android crowd that comes here to pick fights, not the other way around.

• Reply 50 of 61
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by manontheedge View Post

I downloaded iOS 6.1 and have been unable to update apps and the general speed of both wifi and 3G is greatly reduced. Can't even open pictures in Facebook without a few minutes waiting.

The whole iPhone experience, the reason were all so smug next to other phone users had been erased in one update. Not for the first time apple has p*ssed off its customers.

I've had every model iPhone and I'm due upgrade at the end of feb and was looking forward to the iPhone 5, however I'm not so sure any more.......

You're fooling no one.

1. If you had every model iPhone (I have), then you should know issues are nothing new in iOS updates. EVERY VERSION HAD BUGS. I've experienced battery drain bugs on and off across several releases of iOS since BEFORE it was called "iOS." It's also why I don't upgrade to the latest OS X or iOS release until at least a week or two have passed. A real Apple user would understand why that's wise.

2. Apple users don't call themselves "so smug." That's a description used by people who don't like Apple users. And smug to whom? It's the Android crowd that comes here to pick fights, not the other way around.

What you are pointing out is absolutely nothing new. Although my own experience has been mainly on enterprise unix systems, every sensible person knows to take a "wait and see" approach before an OS update, to  back-up user data and to make sure that the restore and recovery processes are tested and understood. Windows users have gotten used to that.

Fact is that Apple is just another computer manufacturer and subject to the same shortcomings as all the rest. It was a smart move of Apple to drop its pathetic attempts at maintaining its proprietory OS and switch to a tried and proven alternative. At least they had the brains to do that. But even the best enterprise OS implementation have glitches and bugs because its essentially impractical to test every conceivable combination of configuration and software combinations. It's unrealistic to expect anything else. But from my perspective it's a matter of how the manufacturer responds and how quick and effective the necessary patches are made available.

But anyone who thinks that Apple has some kind of magic supernatural ability to be perfect is simply living in a delusion. They may be better than MS with respect to the quality of their releases (although I doubt that really. Apple has the luxury of a relatively limited range of peripheral devices to test, and probably also a much smaller range of software products to cover, both of which make the job easier.)

• Reply 51 of 61

Quote:

This would be funny or, at the very least, in any way accurate, if it was the only thing I ever did. Shame it's not, huh?

You meant to reply to a low post count user claiming to have battery trouble.

ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY. People don't have a clue how to treat their batteries. They couldn't care less. It should just do whatever they want it to do.

Let's ask another question: Is Apple stupid? Are users stupid? Does Apple know how to write software? Do users? What about the average man on the street makes you think, "He sure knows how to manage his battery effectively."?

So do you think Apple is so worthlessly stupid that they've had a broken mobile OS for roughly two years? Or maybe people run into battery trouble for other reasons than just Apple's shortcomings.

Another snooze-worthy post from Tallest Skil... You never disappoint...

• Reply 52 of 61

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Another snooze-worthy post from Tallest Skil... You never disappoint...

This is code for: I have no rebuttal to any of the points presented and am alerting you to this fact using veiled insults.

• Reply 53 of 61

Quote:

People don't have a clue how to treat their batteries. They couldn't care less. It should just do whatever they want it to do.

What is the proper way to treat an iPhone battery, in your opinion, and how does that differ from what you believe the majority of iPhone users do?

• Reply 54 of 61

Originally Posted by Planet Blue View Post

What is the proper way to treat an iPhone battery, in your opinion…

Not mine, Apple's. Though since I agree with Apple in this regard (on the grounds that they designed it, so they'd probably know how best to treat it), I suppose it's my opinion. Just not originally.

…and how does that differ from what you believe the majority of iPhone users do?

I believe that, because Apple does not explicitly mention this anywhere in their physical documentation (to my memory), many users immediately (though unintentionally) mistreat their batteries by not fully charging them out of the box. Afterward, they'll also sleep it for long periods (instead of shutting it down). Finally, users generally don't run from 100 to 0% (even less often than once a month) like Apple recommends.

I think Apple should be a little more proactive in getting people to read that page I linked (and the device-specific pages on it).

• Reply 55 of 61
    Finally, users generally don't run from 100 to 0% (even less often than once a month) like Apple recommends.

I think Apple should be a little more proactive in getting people to read that page I linked (and the device-specific pages on it).

Good point. And yes, no one I know knows this once a months run down.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    [quote name="Suddenly Newton" url="/t/155881/apples-ios-6-1-reportedly-causing-3g-and-battery-issues-for-some-iphone-users/30#post_2274539"]
    You're fooling no one.

[LIST=1]
    [*] If you had every model iPhone (I have), then you should know issues are nothing new in iOS updates. EVERY VERSION HAD BUGS. I've experienced battery drain bugs on and off across several releases of iOS since BEFORE it was called "iOS." It's also why I don't upgrade to the latest OS X or iOS release until at least a week or two have passed. A real Apple user would understand why that's wise.
    [*] Apple users don't call themselves "so smug." That's a description used by people who don't like Apple users. And smug [I]to whom? [/I]It's the Android crowd that comes here to pick fights, not the other way around.
    [/LIST][/QUOTE]

What are you smoking? I just wanted a bit of advise not a character assassination and if im an iPhone user or not. Oh and smug, yeah that's how I feel when I see people pull out phones other than an iPhone. I believe they are by far the best on the market.
    This was my first post on here as I've never experienced any problems before.
    Thanks for reinforcing the stereotype of the geek. Bet you still live with mom don't you?
  • Reply 57 of 61

Quote:

Not mine, Apple's. Though since I agree with Apple in this regard (on the grounds that they designed it, so they'd probably know how best to treat it), I suppose it's my opinion. Just not originally.

I believe that, because Apple does not explicitly mention this anywhere in their physical documentation (to my memory), many users immediately (though unintentionally) mistreat their batteries by not fully charging them out of the box. Afterward, they'll also sleep it for long periods (instead of shutting it down). Finally, users generally don't run from 100 to 0% (even less often than once a month) like Apple recommends.

This is probably the  most cogent statement I have seen you deliver... Keep it up.... I'm almost proud of you...

• Reply 58 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,595member

A German blog is posting that Apple is in the process of finishing up carrier testing for an update fix  (6.1.1) for bugs introduced with Apple's most recent iOS update. Included too is a fix for the SMS spoof according to the article.

Link here. Just use Google translate if need be.

http://www.iphone-ticker.de/testing-complete-ios-6-1-1-kurz-vor-der-freigabe-43723/

• Reply 59 of 61

Quote:

Apple's battery page basically details why Li-On is the best choice for mobile devices. The only real instruction they give is to use it once a month - the rest of the page describes how Li-On is pretty maintenance-free (which is true). Same with the iPhone battery page.

Not charging it fully out of the box has a minimal impact on the battery over its lifetime.

Letting phones sleep for long periods isn't an issue - Apple designed their portable devices to sleep instead of shut down. This is normal behavior and does not cause issues (except perhaps leading to more cycle counts if the iPhone isn't plugged in).

Running a Li-On battery from 100 to 0% is actually harmful to the battery. Regularly running a battery that low creates unbalanced cells and leads to early performance issues. The only reason Apple (and every other manufacturer) advise this is to make sure users use the battery at least once a month (not an issue in this discussion) and recalibrate the battery percentage indicator. Not going from 100-0% has minimal negative impact on the battery performance, unless you never use the battery.

I believe you are wrong to say that most iPhone users maintain their batteries incorrectly or poorly. Li-On batteries are very maintenance-free. They do have finite charge cycle counts and become adversely affected by temperature changes, but otherwise a regular iPhone user should not encounter a user-caused battery performance issue on a new iPhone.

If you are arguing that users use the battery incorrectly by not turning down screen brightness, turning off features, etc., then we just have a difference of opinion. People should be able to use their phones at the default settings and not experience issues (which is normally the case for the iPhone, unlike Android). If an issue crops up - like with the 6.1 update - it is likely Apple's fault and not that of the user.

• Reply 60 of 61

Originally Posted by Planet Blue View Post

Not charging it fully out of the box has a minimal impact on the battery over its lifetime.

Letting phones sleep for long periods isn't an issue

Running a Li-On battery from 100 to 0% is actually harmful to the battery.

So why would Apple specifically tell users to do each of these things?!