New York Mag's BlackBerry 10 demo unit dies after only four days

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    ascii wrote: »
    Why is he being such a d*ck? All new tech is going to have bugs and you can't expect a brand new platform to have all the apps.

I agree. It is unfortunate that the unit was defective, but wouldn't it be more informative if he just contacted BB for another device and just mention the first one died in the final review? This seems abnormally cruel. Is he a reviewer or a blogger? I hate these stupid Dear John letters in tech reviews. They serve no purpose for any product.
  • Reply 62 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    isteelers wrote: »
    I agree. It is unfortunate that the unit was defective, but wouldn't it be more informative if he just contacted BB for another device and just mention the first one died in the final review? This seems abnormally cruel. Is he a reviewer or a blogger? I hate these stupid Dear John letters in tech reviews. They serve no purpose for any product.

I disagree with any implication that he should have kept it hush hush but I do agree that he was overly harsh and glib about it.
  • Reply 63 of 92
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I disagree with any implication that he should have kept it hush hush but I do agree that he was overly harsh and glib about it.

I'm not saying to be quiet about it, just see if he can get another one to thoroughly test it out before being a wise-ass. I will never get one, but I am curious about some of the features. That is done all the time where a reviewer has issues with one device bit gets another one and correctly says that the first device had issues, but the second one was ok and did performed like this or that. Now if the second one had issues as well then all bets are off, but at least give it a second chance.
  • Reply 64 of 92
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    solipsismx wrote:
    They have also done a bang up job on their website: http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/blackberry-z10.html

They have demo videos showing the UI:

http://dilbjkjns1wot.cloudfront.net/static/videos/global/desktop_literature.mp4
    http://dilbjkjns1wot.cloudfront.net/static/videos/global/desktop_entrepreneur.mp4
    http://dilbjkjns1wot.cloudfront.net/static/videos/global/desktop_fashion.mp4
    http://dilbjkjns1wot.cloudfront.net/static/videos/global/desktop_movie.mp4
    http://dilbjkjns1wot.cloudfront.net/static/videos/global/desktop_music.mp4

The website plays an audio track over them but they have a lot of similar parts in the videos. People will have to stretch to reach that cancel button on the 4.2" screen with one hand because the top and bottom bezels are quite large:

• Reply 65 of 92

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

I hate these stupid Dear John letters in tech reviews. They serve no purpose for any product.

They can occasionally get some companies off their hind quarters, but you're right; it probably wasn't the best way to handle the situation this time.

• Reply 66 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »

All those videos are mostly identical. They have one part at the beginning that appears to be focused on the feature like literature or music but they are still just showing how to take and send a picture of a typewriter and music keyboard, respectively. The rest is the same. Perhaps the sound you mention is unique to each video hence the lack of it in any of the videos. Never seen anything like this before as marketing.
  • Reply 67 of 92
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Young kids know how to take screen shots on a iDevice and sending it via email is also easy.
    Seriously what is wrong with people who refuse to take the effort to learn things.
    Anyway knowing how a person got to their error screen is more important than the screen itself.
  • Reply 68 of 92
    Young kids know how to take screen shots on a iDevice and sending it via email is also easy.
    Seriously what is wrong with people who refuse to take the effort to learn things.
    Anyway knowing how a person got to their error screen is more important than the screen itself.
  • Reply 69 of 92
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Too bad, the phone looks great and I love the gestures they added for closing apps. If only Apple could bring that touch-sensitive bezel with a few easy gestures!
  • Reply 70 of 92
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

They have demo videos showing the UI:

http://dilbjkjns1wot.cloudfront.net/static/videos/global/desktop_literature.mp4

http://dilbjkjns1wot.cloudfront.net/static/videos/global/desktop_entrepreneur.mp4

http://dilbjkjns1wot.cloudfront.net/static/videos/global/desktop_fashion.mp4

http://dilbjkjns1wot.cloudfront.net/static/videos/global/desktop_movie.mp4

http://dilbjkjns1wot.cloudfront.net/static/videos/global/desktop_music.mp4

The website plays an audio track over them but they have a lot of similar parts in the videos. People will have to stretch to reach that cancel button on the 4.2" screen with one hand because the top and bottom bezels are quite large:

I already need to stretch my hand right now on my iPhone 5, and I've got average hands. It looks worse on the blackberry yes, but I hope that J. Ive will do a great work and simply take that back button at the bottom, as it is in all android phones, it's a lot easier that way.

• Reply 71 of 92

This appears to be yet another poorly written unsubstantiated claim against the BlackBerry Z10. 

The New York Times has also written similar attacks on the Z10 claiming that sales are poor.  One example that comes to mind is walking into one or two stores to find the Z10 isn't selling.  This doesn't take into consideration that it is a Tuesday morning or that many sales have come from online pre-order sales.  The author then goes on to say that an Apple store is busy but with no research into why people are in the Apple Store (are they buying? Window Shopping? Or having their Iphone repaired?)  Poor jornalism to make conclustions on anecdotal research.  Feel free to Goolgle New York Times articles about the Z10.  Also check out EBay (Blackberry Z10).

With regards to this article I would like to know how hard he shook the Z10 to cause a failure and to repeat on an Android, an Iphone, and another Z10 before drawing conclusions.  More poor analysis.

Wall Street has about 140 million shares against blackberry shorted (make money when the share-price goes down) Blackberry was written off until the release of the Z10, the Q10 (keyboard version coming soon), and four new products coming based on new BB10 OS.   Many of these short positions were entered when BB was trading at $10 and now it's close to $17 and poised to go higher!  Big Losses!

We all trust wall street don't we?  Think mortgage backed securites, Think camp out protests, think analysts saying BlackBerry is uninvestable and share price going to go to zero, think, think, think.

Question everything your read about Blackberry and their motives.

For disclosure I'm long Blackberry as I believe they have an excellent new product which is good for all consumers given that we live in a competive marketplace.

PS Interesting how all reviews seem to put Blackberry against Android and Apple the dominent players even though Blackberry all but fell off the map.

Most reviews I've read from people using this new phone are excellent!  Try the carrier review sections such as Telus or Rogers in Canada.

• Reply 72 of 92
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Up here in Canada, the new BlackBerries are already causing a bit of a stir.  It's already the best selling BB device at launch ever.  

While no doubt there will be some challenges and shortcomings, I think BlackBerry will be able to make it.  The Q10 is especially interesting, a decent sized 720 by 720 touchscreen plus a physical keyboard is very nice.  

Edit - Would also like to add the reviews on Telus' website from customers are stellar...

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/blackberry_z10/index.shtml?INTCMP=BlackBerrytradeinBB10

If you look around Telus' website you'll actually find despite the iPhone having it's own category, the reviews are not nearly as good as the Blackberry Z10...

• Reply 73 of 92

Originally Posted by Long BB View Post

PS Interesting how all reviews seem to put Blackberry against Android and Apple the dominent players even though Blackberry all but fell off the map.

Why would that be interesting in and of itself? Of course they're going to be rated against the ones in the industry that actually matter. Because rating them against the ones that don't matter is stupid.

• Reply 74 of 92
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

This appears to be yet another poorly written unsubstantiated claim against the BlackBerry Z10. 

The New York Times has also written similar attacks on the Z10 claiming that sales are poor.  One example that comes to mind is walking into one or two stores to find the Z10 isn't selling.  This doesn't take into consideration that it is a Tuesday morning or that many sales have come from online pre-order sales.  The author then goes on to say that an Apple store is busy but with no research into why people are in the Apple Store (are they buying? Window Shopping? Or having their Iphone repaired?)  Poor jornalism to make conclustions on anecdotal research.  Feel free to Goolgle New York Times articles about the Z10.  Also check out EBay (Blackberry Z10).

With regards to this article I would like to know how hard he shook the Z10 to cause a failure and to repeat on an Android, an Iphone, and another Z10 before drawing conclusions.  More poor analysis.

Wall Street has about 140 million shares against blackberry shorted (make money when the share-price goes down) Blackberry was written off until the release of the Z10, the Q10 (keyboard version coming soon), and four new products coming based on new BB10 OS.   Many of these short positions were entered when BB was trading at $10 and now it's close to $17 and poised to go higher!  Big Losses!

We all trust wall street don't we?  Think mortgage backed securites, Think camp out protests, think analysts saying BlackBerry is uninvestable and share price going to go to zero, think, think, think.

Question everything your read about Blackberry and their motives.

For disclosure I'm long Blackberry as I believe they have an excellent new product which is good for all consumers given that we live in a competive marketplace.

Most reviews I've read from people using this new phone are excellent!  Try the carrier review sections such as Telus or Rogers in Canada.

No viable ecosystem. Nothing revolutionary brought to the table. 

It's merely adequate, and barely, at that. And adequate just isn't enough in the dynamics of the current market. 

• Reply 75 of 92

BlackBerry (RIM) has always made very durable hardware, however, they did fall way behind but no more.  Guess some Iphone users have quickly forgotten antenae problems, scratching, and many cracked/ broken screens.

I've dropped my BlackBerry a few times and hardly a scratch,  still looks new. I'm happy to see them back in the game with the Z10 and Q10 (coming).

This article lacks credibility - see my other post.

• Reply 76 of 92

Guess some Iphone users have quickly forgotten antenae problems, scratching, and many cracked/ broken screens.

Is this a claim that BlackBerry devices will (and have) had immaculate reception, never scratch, and, when dropped, will not have a broken screen?

…hardly a scratch…

So hypocrisy, then.

This article lacks credibility…

So the device didn't fail after four days? Glad you know. Seems it did, and that he tried everything a user would reasonably try to fix it. It's possible that, because he didn't mention it here:

I removed and replaced your battery, tried to manually reset you, and even connected you to my laptop to see if I could revive you that way. But you stayed there, motionless and dark, the lifeblood drained from your mini-USB port.

…he did not attempt to charge the device and the battery was simply dead, but that would require the device to, by design, not charge when plugged into a computer, which seems silly.

• Reply 77 of 92

BlackBerry only needs to be in 3rd place as a niche player to be successful and profitable that's why.  Seems they've been elevated to 3rd already and challenging Apple and Android, that's why.

• Reply 78 of 92

If you'd like, we have a quote feature where you can reference the specific text to which you're replying. It's this button in the bottom right. 

Ignore "Reply"; that does nothing. "Multi" is for quoting multiple posts at once (which you finalize by hitting "Quote" on the last one you want).

BlackBerry only needs to be in 3rd place as a niche player to be successful and profitable that's why.  Seems they've been elevated to 3rd already and challenging Apple and Android, that's why.

Do they? And have they? There's no doubt that it has name presence, but that's all anyone ever has when they start from scratch.

I have my doubts that a meaningful operating profit can be made outside the Apple/Android complex, but we'll have to see. And everyone is challenging iOS and Android. Success, however, is a wholly different story. If anything, BlackBerry is 4th, behind Windows Phone 8.

• Reply 79 of 92
    It's interesting that Blackberry has jumped into bed with android with regards to apps.
    The question is, do/will have their own App Store ? Going forward how will they QA source from android developers ? As we all know android is a fragmented malware-infested space, I don't think Blackberry should have anything to do with android, but I do understand why they did it.
  • Reply 80 of 92
    AHAHAHH ALL BLACKBERRY MUST DIE - HITLER.