New York Mag's BlackBerry 10 demo unit dies after only four days

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Hahahaha...your post made me laugh. Apple makes a phone with the least number of openings and gets blasted because there's not a hole to change out the battery, or another to add more memory. and dam Apple for not having a USB port or two. 

They're counting every hole in the speaker grille agains the iPhone!

• Reply 82 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    clemynx wrote: »
    I already need to stretch my hand right now on my iPhone 5, and I've got average hands. It looks worse on the blackberry yes, but I hope that J. Ive will do a great work and simply take that back button at the bottom, as it is in all android phones, it's a lot easier that way.

I don't really get the intense focus on using a phone single-handed. The number of times I've been restricted to just one hand is minimal.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    long bb wrote: »
    BlackBerry (RIM) has always made very durable hardware, however, they did fall way behind but no more.  Guess some Iphone users have quickly forgotten antenae problems, scratching, and many cracked/ broken screens.

I've dropped my BlackBerry a few times and hardly a scratch,  still looks new. I'm happy to see them back in the game with the Z10 and Q10 (coming).

This article lacks credibility - see my other post.

I sense frustration.
    Apple fans are not your enemy. They never were.
    BB users abandoning BB is the problem.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    long bb wrote: »
    This appears to be yet another poorly written unsubstantiated claim against the BlackBerry Z10. 

With regards to this article I would like to know how hard he shook the Z10 to cause a failure and to repeat on an Android, an Iphone, and another Z10 before drawing conclusions.  More poor analysis.

Speaking of unsubstantiated, you're making a significant unsubstantiated accusation there, of deliberately trying to damage the review sample in the guise of playing game.

Wall Street has about 140 million shares against blackberry shorted (make money when the share-price goes down)

That tends to happen when a company is years late, with repeated delays, on updated products and is hemorrhaging customers.

Question everything your read about Blackberry and their motives.

But don't question you, someone who, by your own admission, doesn't have either of the new products being discussed.

For disclosure I'm long Blackberry as I believe they have an excellent new product which is good for all consumers given that we live in a competive marketplace.

But you haven't used the new product, despite strenuously defending it.

PS Interesting how all reviews seem to put Blackberry against Android and Apple the dominent players even though Blackberry all but fell off the map.

Android and Apple are the standard to compare against. Comparing BB against market failures helps no one.

Most reviews I've read from people using this new phone are excellent!  Try the carrier review sections such as Telus or Rogers in Canada.

Why should anyone trust the user reviews and ratings found on a carrier's web site? I would always suspect them as possibly curated, regardless of carrier.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    jeffdm wrote:
    I don't really get the intense focus on using a phone single-handed.

Texting and driving is trickier if you don't have at least one hand free for steering. There are other, safer, scenarios like walking a dog and texting or dialling. Holding a lover's hand during a romantic stroll in the park but checking out some RSS feeds to avoid the boring chit-chat. Dialling for a cab while carrying shopping. Taking a photo while breast-feeding a baby or hanging from a cliff-face. Browsing the web while vacuuming.

I wouldn't say one-handed use is essential at all times but there are a few times when it would be difficult to have two hands free and a certain size of screen would make those things very difficult. Obviously there are millions of people who manage just fine with larger screens and they are willing to work around any discomfort so it's clearly not a deal-breaker but there's really not a huge difference. In the following video, I don't really see many of the text elements on the S3 being easier to read:

The text sizes look roughly the same in most things. At the end 45:50 he says he likes the big screen, some of his female friends like the smaller screen and he likes the S3 for watching video while out walking the dog. He'd get a 20% bigger video. The good thing about Apple sticking to the one-handed philosophy is that it's comfortable for everyone and every scenario but it still has a large enough screen that text doesn't look much smaller anyway and with the 16:9 screen, it's not cropping video and you can hold it a little closer to get the same viewing size of bigger phones.

If you hold the S3 20cm away, holding the iPhone 5 at 17cm will give you the same experience.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Texting and driving is trickier if you don't have at least one hand free for steering. There are other, safer, scenarios like walking a dog and texting or dialling. Holding a lover's hand during a romantic stroll in the park but checking out some RSS feeds to avoid the boring chit-chat. Dialling for a cab while carrying shopping. Taking a photo while breast-feeding a baby or hanging from a cliff-face. Browsing the web while vacuuming.

Anyone stupidly texting while driving, should at least be using voice input, to cut down on the amount of time spent not looking at the road.

As for the other scenarios, texts, photos, calls, are still possible one-handed even on a big screen, especially if the device has a one-handed mode for the dialer and keyboard like the Galaxy Note 2:

• Reply 87 of 92
    kdarling wrote:
    As for the other scenarios, texts, photos, calls, are still possible one-handed even on a big screen, especially if the device has a one-handed mode for the dialer and keyboard like the Galaxy Note 2

A special mode helps but you can still see places like choosing the recipient for the text message would need a second hand or shuffling the phone. There will always be some app where you can't reach a part of it comfortably with one hand. That's obviously why Blackberry chose 4.2" and their demos show one handed operation.
  • Reply 88 of 92

Hey RIM, er, BlackBerry-R-Us.  Good luck finding a buyer.

Have you called up HP?  I hear they're suckers for mobile technology has-beens.

• Reply 89 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

A special mode helps but you can still see places like choosing the recipient for the text message would need a second hand or shuffling the phone. 

Good point.  If the intended recipient is at the top of the list, their entry will be impossible to scroll down to where the thumb is.  (Most everyone else can be scrolled to.)

OTOH, as we've all had to learn to do with capacitive touchsceens at times, especially in the cold with non-special gloves, this is where our nose comes in handy as an emergency stylus image

In any case, people don't buy devices like the Note for one-handed usage.  They buy it for the large screen and/or stylus, knowing those will often require two hands.  I agree that there are far better choices for one-handed lovers.

• Reply 90 of 92

Just ran across a post where it was pointed out that Jon Ive claimed the iPad mini was designed to be used with one hand.

"We felt strongly that 7.9" was exactly the right display size.  But it became clear that we had to reduce the width of the borders so you can still pick it up and use it easily with one hand."

If Ive feels that a 7+" tablet screen is still usable one-handed, then perhaps he plans on designing  larger screened iPhones as well.

Go to about 2:10 of the Apple intro video:

• Reply 91 of 92
    kdarling wrote:
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">Just ran across a post where it was pointed out that Jon Ive claimed the iPad mini was designed to be used with one hand.</span>

"We felt strongly that 7.9" was exactly the right display size.  But it became clear that we had to reduce the width of the borders so you can still pick it up and use it easily with one hand."

If Ive feels that a 7+" tablet screen is still usable one-handed, then perhaps he plans on designing  larger screened iPhones as well.

That's stretching what they are saying. You can obviously pick it up and read a book with it using one hand but it's not designed to be used with one hand. You'd barely be able to unlock it with one hand, you certainly can't type efficiently one-handed:

[VIDEO]

You can use the iPhone one-handed for everything, you can use an iPad Mini one-handed for some things. If they make a bigger phone, it means you can only efficiently use it one-handed for some things and that conflicts with the way they designed the iPhone so far. If they decided to do it, they'd have to market it differently and deal with the resolution change required to make it worthwhile.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    kdarling wrote: »
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">Just ran across a post where it was pointed out that Jon Ive claimed the iPad mini was designed to be used with one hand.</span>

Nice find but remember that we're talking about a completely different device category which means a different usage type. Note that at 0m:50s the narrator states that at 7.9" it's small enough to fit in one hand. Not use, fit. The border reduction was so most people can hold it in their palm. Also note what they showed you as an example of one-handed use. Not exactly a solid demo of being able to do anything but tap one side of the screen with your thumb.

Finally, let's be completely honest and acknowledge that 7.85" was used not because Apple felt that was an ideal usage size but because it allowed them to use the exact same PPI displays they mastered and have fully invested in 5 years go which allows them to reduce the cost of the device. Maybe it's coincidentally their exact ideal size but on the odds on that seem slim unless we're talking a size range.