Nokia rumored to join Apple in dumping Samsung as a supplier

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I seem to recall it was capable of a single touch element. No pinch and zoom functionality.

I kind of feel bad for those LG developers. I have to think they were under the impression that they were making history with their design just to get completely trounced by the iPhone before they could even have a proper demo of it. I wonder how many of the designers had wanted to work to add dual-touch or wanted to release it the previous year. Can you imagine them watching the 2007 MacWorld keynote of Jobs iPhone presentation. They had to be blown away.

In addition to having less sophisticated hardware (note that the LG Prada was also just an EDGE phone like the original iPhone, didn't even have bragging rights to 3G) and being more expensive, the phone also had a simple, basic feature phone user interface built using Adobe Flash Lite.

All the "Apple Copied!!" fans forget why this expensive, clunky LG Prada phone never caught on anywhere, despite having LG's far more established supply chain and other benefits of an incumbent phone vendor. It was a terrible product! 

Samsung's proven, well documented copying of the iPhone 3GS and 4 and iPad and iPod touch are all given a free pass as "can't patent round corners!!!" despite the fact that trivial physical similarities are all the iPhone and LG Prada had in common, while Samsung's Galaxy products attempted to clone every last detail of hardware and software down to the headphones, power adapter and the design and form of the packaging.  

• Reply 22 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Apple itself is a copycat of the first LG touchscreen phone. Apple does not even have the technology of making flash, ram and touch screens, and therefore had to patent rectangular shapes and outsource manufacturing.

Ah yes, the "Apple never invented anything, so let's all copy Apple" defense. Doesn't work.

• Reply 23 of 66

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Ah yes, the "Apple never invented anything, so let's all copy Apple" defense. Doesn't work.

Particularly since every single thing he said is a complete lie.

EDIT: So. Prove. Me. Wrong. gwmac. image

• Reply 24 of 66
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Samsung is obviously a shameless copycat. They have copied every company you can ever think of by taking advantage of the supplier contracts to copy the industrial designs of those companies.

This type of claim has never made any sense.   How can you copy something you haven't seen?   People act like Apple gives its suppliers a copy of its product ahead of time.

Samsung doesn't make the case, or the software, or the packaging, or the touchscreen, or any of the other details that have to be seen in person to copy a product's design or look and feel.

They only supplied CPUs, memory, sometimes displays, and some ancillary chips, most of which could've just as easily been for a new iPod (like the touch).

• Reply 25 of 66
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    peter236 wrote: »
    Apple itself is a copycat of the first LG touchscreen phone. Apple does not even have the technology of making flash, ram and touch screens, and therefore had to patent rectangular shapes and outsource manufacturing.

I love people that have never once used an LG Prada and make comments like a parrot.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Samsung exec calls Nokia rumor "a loss for innovation".
  • Reply 27 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

The LG KE850 or the prada was first announced on December 12, 2006.   The design of the phone was shown in september of 2006. Just announced not sold or shown. An image of the device was shown in a press release on January 18th 2007.  Again the device was not shown.  It did not go on sale to the public untill May 2007. LG threatened apple with a lawsuit and quickly dropped it when apple showed them a working prototype of the apple iphone called "Purple" dated august 2005, and another working iphone prototype called "Howarth" dated march 2006.  Those prototypes were also shown in the apple vs. samsung lawsuit.

Infact apple started development of the iphone in 2004 with Jonathan Ive leading a team of 1000 to start to work on project "Purple".  Which later turned out to be the iPhone.

Steve Jobs unveiled the actual finished iPhone on January 9th 2007.  It went on sale on June 29th 2007.  Apple could prove without a shadow of a doubt that the iPhone was in development long before the prada LG KE850.  Hense LG dropping the lawsuit.  As for making flash memory apple makes there own memory controls (why make memory when you can buy it from one of a dozen companies of which samsung is just one) and has several patents for capacitive touch screens and a lot of innovation in that area.  Apple also designs its own processors based on armv7 the current version of which is one of the fastest mobile processors on the market (A6X). The reason the iPhone 5 is so thin is because of one of those capacitive touch screen patents.

The apple copied lg is wrong and a tired old rant.

The lg prada was a very limited touch screen phone and no where near the sensitivity of the iPhones screen and had far less touch sensors than the iphone.

I really appreciate the depth and authority of this rebuttal.  I usually don't have the patience to do anything more than tell trolls to bite me, but this kind of post makes a far better contribution to the community.  Bravo.

• Reply 28 of 66

Quote:

Oh Peter, how little you know.

• Reply 29 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

That is an argument you will never win. Some people believe that Apple stole the iPad from Star Trek TNG too. There us no reasoning with that mentality.

And Apple just stole the Macintosh GUI from Xerox...

• Reply 30 of 66
    This is the best AppleInsider article ever! Shameless copycat Samsung...exposed again!

I love how Samsung keeps claiming in public that the Apple lawsuit is hampering innovation. How is copying innovation? I hope Nokia sues as well as I think multiple companies need to expose Samsung for what it is...a bully that copies other people's homework.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Translation error?

Anybody know if "innovation" and "imitation" sound similar in Korean?

;)
  • Reply 32 of 66
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I hope Samsung's replacement will be as competent as Samsung has been over the years. Love'em or hate'em they have been tops with their semiconductor products.

I've especially liked Samsung's price-fixing activities, and its bribing of government (Korean) oficials.

• Reply 33 of 66
    Oh lord... the LG Prada debate...

Yes... LG showed off the Prada before Steve Jobs revealed the iPhone. Good for them.

But I'm a little confused about the timeline when this supposed "copying" took place.

How did Apple (in Cupertino) find out about the LG Prada (in South Korea) ???

Apple claims to have been working on the iPhone since 2004... where exactly would Apple have seen what LG was working on?
  • Reply 34 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Maybe Sammy should start making smart toilets?

Apple already has one

• Reply 35 of 66

Quote:

A MasterChef hasn't 'invented' all his ingredients either, nor does he always grown them himself, yet his recipes are unique!   

• Reply 36 of 66

Quote:

Apple itself is a copycat of the first LG touchscreen phone. Apple does not even have the technology of making flash, ram and touch screens, and therefore had to patent rectangular shapes and outsource manufacturing

Not true, in this instance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

The LG KE850 or the prada was first announced on December 12, 2006.   The design of the phone was shown in september of 2006. Just announced not sold or shown. An image of the device was shown in a press release on January 18th 2007.  Again the device was not shown.  It did not go on sale to the public untill May 2007. LG threatened apple with a lawsuit and quickly dropped it when apple showed them a working prototype of the apple iphone called "Purple" dated august 2005, and another working iphone prototype called "Howarth" dated march 2006.  Those prototypes were also shown in the apple vs. samsung lawsuit.

Infact apple started development of the iphone in 2004 with Jonathan Ive leading a team of 1000 to start to work on project "Purple".  Which later turned out to be the iPhone.

Steve Jobs unveiled the actual finished iPhone on January 9th 2007.  It went on sale on June 29th 2007.  Apple could prove without a shadow of a doubt that the iPhone was in development long before the prada LG KE850.  Hense LG dropping the lawsuit.  As for making flash memory apple makes there own memory controls (why make memory when you can buy it from one of a dozen companies of which samsung is just one) and has several patents for capacitive touch screens and a lot of innovation in that area.  Apple also designs its own processors based on armv7 the current version of which is one of the fastest mobile processors on the market (A6X). The reason the iPhone 5 is so thin is because of one of those capacitive touch screen patents.

The apple copied lg is wrong and a tired old rant.

The lg prada was a very limited touch screen phone and no where near the sensitivity of the iPhones screen and had far less touch sensors than the iphone.

True - So:

Did Apple copy LG - NO.

Did LG copy Apple - NO.

Did anyone copy anyone - NO.

---

"Out of Quote"

Fact is that trend in the whole mobile industry round 2005-2007 (even before) was to increase the screen size and to add touch functionality. It's just one step in the evolution of mobile phones.  Some companies and products got there a bit sooner and some a bit later.

Motorola had ROKR E6 (2005)

LG had KE850 Prada (2007)

Apple had iPhone (2007)

Sony Ericsson had P1 (2007) -> Experia X1 (2008)

Samsung had F700 (2007)

HTC had P3600 (2006-2007) -> Touch HD (2008)

Blackberry had Storm 9530 (2008)

HP had iPAQ h6310 (2004-2005) ...

Asus had P535 (2006-2007)

Gigabyte had GSmart i128 (2005-2006)

- yes some of the first touchscreen devices still had more and some less buttons in physical form.

So:

- if you follow this evolution and stretch the display as far as possible (or reducing the bevel as much as possible),

- if you want to use as much of that screen space as possible,

at the end all high-end phones will lookalike and only a fool could claim that one company copied the design from someone else.

In general: claiming that they all look like iPhone is as megalomanic as claiming that our galaxy is the center of the universe. No pun intended.

• Reply 37 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

That is an argument you will never win. Some people believe that Apple stole the iPad from Star Trek TNG too. There us no reasoning with that mentality.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Apple stole the iPhone from Star Trek; they stole the iPad from 2001: A Space Odyssey. Get your fabrications straight.image

</sarcasm>

• Reply 38 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Maybe Sammy should start making smart toilets?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

Apple already has one

Well actually…Japan already has 'em:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Modern_japanese_toilet.jpg

• Reply 39 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Translation error?

Anybody know if "innovation" and "imitation" sound similar in Korean?

Hilarious!

• Reply 40 of 66
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I hope Samsung's replacement will be as competent as Samsung has been over the years. Love'em or hate'em they have been tops with their semiconductor products.

Yes and I am sure that has nothing to do with the 100 million investment Apple made in Samsung in the 90's when it was struggling. Dell invested 200 million.