Shocking: Apple's 2.5GHz 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display now just $1,349.00

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

...like the same bad joke told by an elderly relative every thanksgiving, year after year.

Pull my finger.

• Reply 22 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

If Apple takes the MBA retina with the upcoming Haswell chip, that would be a very VERY nice laptop

Seems like the new MBP is almost the same form factor as an Air. I wouldn't be surprised if they merge the product lines eventually.

• Reply 23 of 47
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    isteelers wrote: »
    Have they come up with new ads for the Surface? The only ones I have seen were those goofy dance-and-click ones that remind me of those awful Kit-Kat commercials.

There is a new one - it emphasizes the use as a tablet rather than the irritating 'click' nonsense. I've only seen it once, though, so they're not playing it much.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    LOL. MacConnection "tipped" AppleInsider. As in, paid them a tip for advertising this as an article.
  • Reply 25 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

There are many different types of professionals. This may be a professional grade machine to many users. Not all professionals require a discrete GPU. Nor do they all require the ability to upgrade the memory and such after purchase. It all depends on the individual use case.

Well, as you said all pros not need GPU & upgrade RAM but it better to have GPU and able to upgrade RAM then you don't have or you can't upgrade.

I think price of RMBP, it should have. Or at least RAM should be max as 16GB.

By the way, 15" RMBP has $200 for 16GB RAM upgrade is outrageous. Are they kidding me? Pay $200 for 8GB RAM bump?

Is that RAM made from gold?

Since they soldered RAM on motherboard, they have 2 different motherboard in stock.(8GB & 16GB version for 15" RMBP) instead just swap RAM module.

Apple should stop at just removed ODD & FW port. And should give us 2 2.5" HDD(or SSD+HDD or 2 SSD) options.

Still old MBP has enough space to bump up battery size.

• Reply 26 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Seems like the new MBP is almost the same form factor as an Air. I wouldn't be surprised if they merge the product lines eventually.

I've got the rMBP 15" and the display and speed has ruined me for all other computers. It's very thin for what it is but a rMBA would be great for my kids to haul around when they soon go to college.

• Reply 27 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

Sorry, no ability to upgrade the RAM, and I wouldn't touch the laptop.

I wish Apple would rethink making things so thin. I don't know of anyone who said that their old 13" MacBook Pro was too heavy. If the cost of thiner is no longer being able to better your computer, then it's not worth doing.

Welcome to 2013: Noone gives a shit about upgrading their laptop anymore. The same shrieking was done with non-removable batteries. At the end of the day the overall benefits far outweigh the inability to upgrade for the extremely niche amount of people who would like to do so. It's not like RAM requirements are changing as fast as they once were. 4GB more than enough for most, and 8GB should be fine for a long time if you have heavier uses. I use my 2012 Air for ALL my work (4GB RAM) with CS6, and it handles everything I throw at it.. which is quite a bit.

Oh, and speak for yourself. I use a Macbok Air and the old 13" is a complete beast compare to this. So yes, I do think its too heavy, as would most people who get used to the Air or any ultrabook. 

• Reply 28 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

I've got the rMBP 15" and the display and speed has ruined me for all other computers. It's very thin for what it is but a rMBA would be great for my kids to haul around when they soon go to college.

Yeah, I have the same rMBP 15". I got the maximum configuration so I hope it lasts a long time. My old 2007 15" MBP was still perfect but it could not be upgraded to ML so I decided to buy the new one.

• Reply 29 of 47

I'm already of the belief that they should just drop the second half of each name and simply have a true "MacBook" family.

That would also absolve them of any requirement, real or drummed up, for the MacBook Pro models to be arbitrarily "professional" machines.

• Reply 30 of 47
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

I wish Apple would rethink making things so thin. I don't know of anyone who said that their old 13" MacBook Pro was too heavy. If the cost of thiner is no longer being able to better your computer, then it's not worth doing.

I'm guessing you've never used a MacBook Air. The 13" cMBP is too heavy and I wouldn't consider it. Even my non-Ultrabook HP Elitebook weighs in at 4lbs with the DVD drive. I didn't consider the MBP until it went Retina.

• Reply 31 of 47

Damn.  I was pushing off a MBA purchase until June or so, but this...this might push me over the edge a bit early.

• Reply 32 of 47
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I'd have bought one instead of the regular 13" MacBook Pro if they include a discrete GPU. My old 2008 MacBook Pro was getting a tad slow.

It's such a shame that Apple went Intel only graphics in a "Pro" machine, almost insulting really considering the price tag.

I hear this complaint over and over, but the 13" Pro has never had a discrete GPU and it is consistently Apple's best selling notebook. Evidently not many people are concerned about it. 

• Reply 33 of 47
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    You
    tailstoo wrote: »

You mean all those clicking tablets and people dancing on the tables turn you on.
    This goes to show there is always something for someone.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Because we've torn it from the hands of the trolls and spit on it. We tried to hand it back to them, but only a few of them accepted. But we're fine with our own spit, and it keeps the less creative ones away.

True but you're out-trolling the trolls. Jrag and yourself are more than capable of writing something constructive
  • Reply 35 of 47
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Welcome to 2013: Noone gives a shit about upgrading their laptop anymore.

Pretty much everyone I know who buys an iMac or standard MBP goes out and purchases 3rd party RAM straight away, saving themselves hundreds over Apple's RAM upgrade prices.
    4GB more than enough for most, and 8GB should be fine for a long time if you have heavier uses.

I take it that you've never run Xcode and the iPhone simulator at the same time? :) Xcode is only getting more resource hungry.
  • Reply 36 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I take it that you've never run Xcode and the iPhone simulator at the same time? image Xcode is only getting more resource hungry.

Absolutely.

• Reply 37 of 47

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand your comment. I thought all online retailers are now required to charge sales tax in California regardless of where the store is actually located. California sales tax is really complicated because every county and some cities have different rates and they cannot simply be determined by zip codes either.

Actually, I believe all California residents are required to claim their out of sales purchase on their tax forms so sales tax can be collected.  I'm guessing not many people do this, but it is the law.  Interestingly,  many of the same people who laugh at claiming their out of state purchases are the same folks who rail about big businesses not paying THEIR fair share of taxes, but I digress...  ;-)

• Reply 38 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarfungo View Post

Actually, I believe all California residents are required to claim their out of sales purchase on their tax forms so sales tax can be collected.  I'm guessing not many people do this, but it is the law.  Interestingly,  many of the same people who laugh at claiming their out of state purchases are the same folks who rail about big businesses not paying THEIR fair share of taxes, but I digress...  ;-)

You are correct about declaring purchases on tax return.

I found this article: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/state&id=8812364

Quote from article:

Internet shopping had always been tax free in California, but last year the state legislature passed a bill forcing approximately 200 e-retailers, including Amazon and Overstock, to tax customers. Sales tax rates in California reach 9.75 percent and are among the highest in the country.

State Officials estimate the tax will generate $200 million a year, which is sure to fill budget holes. Annually, the Golden State loses about $1 billion in state tax revenue because most Californians don't know they're suppose to pay the equivalent of a sales tax on their state income tax, filling under a use tax.

emphasis mine

• Reply 39 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Be prepared for the "Apple is Doomed" nonsense.

• Reply 40 of 47

Quote:

Hm almost everyone I know thinks the macbook pro was too heavy. And it's the trend now for manufacturers to make non upgradable laptops. Let's see how long you can hold off.