Shocking: Apple's 2.5GHz 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display now just $1,349.00

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47

Man everything is super cheaper in the US. So not fair -.-

• Reply 42 of 47
    tailstoo wrote: »
    Sorry, no ability to upgrade the RAM, and I wouldn't touch the laptop.

I wish Apple would rethink making things so thin. I don't know of anyone who said that their old 13" MacBook Pro was too heavy. If the cost of thiner is no longer being able to better your computer, then it's not worth doing.

Also acceptable:
    "no built in DVD drive..."
    "no removable battery..."
    "no built in floppy drive..."
    "no built in FireWire..."
  • Reply 43 of 47
    I'm already of the belief that they should just drop the second half of each name and simply have a true "MacBook" family.

That would also absolve them of any requirement, real or drummed up, for the MacBook Pro models to be arbitrarily "professional" machines.

Well they could also drop the "I" in iMac and just call it Mac. But they haven't.
    I think the "Air" part of the name reminds people of how incredibly thin and light it is. If anything should be called just "MacBook," it's the classic DVD-drive non-Retina Pro models. Those should become MacBook, so the Pro name is reserved for the more expensive Retina display models. Of course, the non-Retina Pros are every bit a Pro machine, even more so since the drives are upgradeable, so I'm kind of torn on that one.
  • Reply 44 of 47

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well they could also drop the "I" in iMac and just call it Mac. But they haven't.

I think the "Air" part of the name reminds people of how incredibly thin and light it is. If anything should be called just "MacBook," it's the classic DVD-drive non-Retina Pro models. Those should become MacBook, so the Pro name is reserved for the more expensive Retina display models. Of course, the non-Retina Pros are every bit a Pro machine, even more so since the drives are upgradeable, so I'm kind of torn on that one.

MacBook 11"

MacBook 13" (right now the Air)

MacBook 13" with retina display

MacBook 15"

MacBook 15" with retina display

Eventually the 15" would be discontinued, too.

• Reply 45 of 47
    tailstoo wrote: »

I wish Apple would rethink making things so thin. I don't know of anyone who said that their old 13" MacBook Pro was too heavy. If the cost of thiner is no longer being able to better your computer, then it's not worth doing.

And some are making notebooks held together with glue, 90 screws and a floppy keyboard, a new category, the laptop you can't use on your lap. Who knows what will surface next?

I agree with some of the complaints though Apple isn't the worst.
  • Reply 46 of 47

I'll keep the 17in Dell Studio as a standby... but for the crazy prices, I'll give the MAC a whirl. 

• Reply 47 of 47
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post

Regarding ram you should look at the total cost. These will never go past 16GB anyway. I don't care how many uninformed people told you Ivy supports 32. 16GB sodimms haven't been tested on this, so you can't assume they will work or even be available here. 32GB does work in notebooks that will take 4 sodimms. 16GB sodimms aren't as likely to appear in a form that is compliant with current chipsets, so the question with the current model is whether the price is acceptable with 16. These things typically bottom out around $25/stick so $50 to upgrade later in its life compared to $200 now. Some of the cheap ones can be $60-70 today, but they're usually brands that carry a lot of complaints, presumably due to poor QA.  (Edit: I'm aware of what companies actually manufacture chips, in case anyone intended to respond with that. The issue of poor testing standards still exists in a lot of the rebranded stuff.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Also acceptable:

"no built in DVD drive..."

"no removable battery..."

"no built in floppy drive..."

"no built in FireWire..."

Firewire has been dying a slow death for years, but the no removable battery thing annoys me to a degree. Batteries often last several years now, so that isn't my issue with it. My issue is that they should have solved the swelling battery problem that occurs on some of them prior to sealing them in. I've experienced it, and the reviews on the Apple Store suggest it still happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipm View Post

And some are making notebooks held together with glue, 90 screws and a floppy keyboard, a new category, the laptop you can't use on your lap. Who knows what will surface next?

I agree with some of the complaints though Apple isn't the worst.

The imac employs adhesive as well. In both cases I find if abhorrent.