Apple's iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S are world's two most popular smartphone models

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Money talks and bullshit walks. They can release all the studies they want, it still wont change the fact Apple didnt had any YoY EPS growth between Q4 2011 and Q4 2012. This is despite the fact the iphone had 25% YoY growth and the ipad had 47% YoY growth in unit sales.

Margins are compressing, market is getting mainstream and unless Apple get more competive in price or really innovate they are going straigth to a niche market share. Trends are shifting and Apple need to adapt or it will turn into another RIM.

Q4 was Apple 3rd bad quarter (in terms of growth slowing down to a crawl) and I dont still dont see how they going to turn this. They are getting close to turn into negative EPS growth, which will send the stock way below $400. I am still hoping they can do something, so I am holding to my LEAPS.

Perhaps because the iMac supply was constrained and the previous year's fourth qtr had an extra week. Record iDevices sold.
  • Reply 22 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Money talks and bullshit walks. They can release all the studies they want, it still wont change the fact Apple didnt had any YoY EPS growth between Q4 2011 and Q4 2012. This is despite the fact the iphone had 25% YoY growth and the ipad had 47% YoY growth in unit sales.

Margins are compressing, market is getting mainstream and unless Apple get more competive in price or really innovate they are going straigth to a niche market share. Trends are shifting and Apple need to adapt or it will turn into another RIM.

Q4 was Apple 3rd bad quarter (in terms of growth slowing down to a crawl) and I dont still dont see how they going to turn this. They are getting close to turn into negative EPS growth, which will send the stock way below $400. I am still hoping they can do something, so I am holding to my LEAPS.

I have a problem with that. you do realize they just had the best quarter ever with one less week, right? of course they won't grow so quickly again... They can't.

you and others like you talk like if apple is on a crysis.

• Reply 23 of 81
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I have nothing against a big screen, in fact I want one. But S3 is bellow pretty much every single top model from other vendors, especially HTC.

I totally agree, but HTC doesn't have the budget to out advertise Samsung. Just about every cell phone store I drive by has a big ass SGS 3 poster in the front window. It's not affecting Apple but it's killing HTC, Motorola, LG, etc..
  • Reply 24 of 81
    It's quite significant that a combination of a new handset model and strategic pricing of the previous models achieves the double effect (or could it be trifecta?) of closing out the top end of the Market Share statistic in favour of FruitsRUs :-)

This suggests that the scenario that is actually playing out in the smartphone market, slowly but surely, is that of the iPod story in the PMP world, and not that of the desktop PC as many "analysts" seem to prefer (or is it fervently wish?)...
  • Reply 25 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

What exactly are fanbois?  And why th name calling?  Doesn't make your argument more compelling.

• Reply 26 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And yet the media is still pimping low iPhone demand stories.  Today we get one from the Financial Times that claims Focxonn has a hiring freeze due to low iPhone demand. image

Well obviously that must be the reason for the hiring freeze, what with Apple seemingly being the only customer Foxconn if you believe what you read in the media. 

Oh, wait... hang on a moment... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn#Major_customers

• Reply 27 of 81
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

So...

+47.8 million total sold

-27.4 million iPhone 5

-17.4 million iPhone 4S

=================

= 3 million iPhone 4

Interesting.  The lowest priced one is selling the lowest amount, by far.  

Of course, it's also the oldest and is missing Siri.

Proof there's no low end iPhone market?  Or just not low priced enough?  Or ... ?

• Reply 28 of 81
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

That's embarassing.

And the trolls over at C|net are apoplectic, claiming it's a lie and rigged and every other epithet they can come up with.

Embarrassing...and sad.

• Reply 29 of 81
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Exactly, especially because there's no way 15 millions S3 were sold this quarter (and 18 the last one).

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Why not? Do you have proof that they didn't?

On the Internet no proof is required. Merely stating opinion as fact makes it true. Hell, one of the resident trolls on C|net is claiming Samsung actually sold 60 million S3s in one quarter and that this whole story is a paid for lie by Apple. Apple has all the tech media on its payroll don't you know.

• Reply 30 of 81
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Perhaps

Q4 was Apple 3rd bad quarter in a row (in terms of growth slowing down to a crawl) and I dont still dont see how they are going to turn this. They are getting close to turn into negative EPS growth, which will send the stock way below $400. I am still hoping they can do something, so I am holding to my LEAPS.

Events that can send the stock back up:
    • Multiple iphone models (multiple price points,screen size and a model design for emerging markets needs)
    • Impressive innovation on the high end iphone model.
    • New product (iwatch, itv, add gaming and apps to the current Apple TV, ...)
    • Increase the dividends. (limited effect, but should floor the stock at $500)
    • China Mobile deal with a special phone for it.

until then, incremental upgrades will continu to send the stock down.

Perhaps you are not aware that 1st 2012 had 14 weeks vs 13 weeks got 1st 2013 or you are simply ignorant.

Sorry didn't mean to lecture someone who was into stocks since llci or whatever.
  • Reply 31 of 81
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 32 of 81
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 33 of 81

Samsung has released figures for the GS3 - each milestone they hit (10,20,30 million) they announced. Checking the dates of the announcements you can see Samsung has been selling about 5 million per month. Pretty easy to figure out, actually.

Still interesting the iPhone 5 sold as many since it launchedin one quarter as Samsung has sold since it launched (worldwide end of May). And Samsung claimed they had pre-orders for 9 million when the GS3 launched (now we know that was orders from retailers, not customers as it took a couple months until they posted the 10 million milestone).

The really bad thing for Samsung is the drop in Q4 - the holiday shopping seasong and their sales go down? Obviously the iPhone 5 ruined Christmas for Samsung.

• Reply 34 of 81
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

So...

+47.8 million total sold

-27.4 million iPhone 5

-17.4 million iPhone 4S

=================

= 3 million iPhone 4

Interesting.  The lowest priced one is selling the lowest amount, by far.  

Of course, it's also the oldest and is missing Siri.

Proof there's no low end iPhone market?  Or just not low priced enough?  Or ... ?

It's not just missing Siri, it's missing 4G LTE. At least the 4S has faux 4G.

Most developing countries are setting up wireless networks and bypassing landlines altogether. A friend just got back from Columbia and in the middle of a rural jungle area got 5 bars of 4G LTE. 

If you have a choice of buying a 3G phone with limited coverage, or a 4G model which has better coverage and is faster, especially if it costs less, which would you buy? 

Even in the US, where the 4 is free, there are 4G LTE free phones too. So unless you just want Apple, or are already tied to its Eco-system, why would you buy the 4? Besides the US is a rich nation where $100 is nothing to get semi-current technology. This is not true in the rest of the world. 

Using these numbers to suggest Apple should not enter a lower-end market is not applicable. They have to offer a competitive phone outside the US, which offers at a minimum the same radio technology as the competition.

• Reply 35 of 81
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

The really bad thing for Samsung is the drop in Q4 - the holiday shopping seasong and their sales go down? Obviously the iPhone 5 ruined Christmas for Samsung.

Yeah, definitely the iPhone 5 debut stole a bunch of sales.

Wish they'd included more info.  Would like to see what the Note 2 sales were like, for example.  Did they also go down, or were some GS3 sales diverted to it?

• Reply 36 of 81

But Apple is still doomed, right?

• Reply 37 of 81
    I have nothing against a big screen, in fact I want one. But S3 is bellow pretty much every single top model from other vendors, especially HTC.

Don't settle. Demand a phone that won't fit in your pocket.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    But Apple is still doomed, right?

Forever and ever.
  • Reply 39 of 81

Q4 was Apple 3rd bad quarter in a row (in terms of growth slowing down to a crawl) and I dont still dont see how they are going to turn this. They are getting close to turn into negative EPS growth, which will send the stock way below $400. I am still hoping they can do something, so I am holding to my LEAPS.

Events that can send the stock back up:
    • Multiple iphone models (multiple price points,screen size and a model design for emerging markets needs)
    • Impressive innovation on the high end iphone model.
    • New product (iwatch, itv, add gaming and apps to the current Apple TV, ...)
    • Increase the dividends. (limited effect, but should floor the stock at $500)
    • China Mobile deal with a special phone for it.

until then, incremental upgrades will continu to send the stock down.

/s

I think you forgot something.
  • Reply 40 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Don't settle. Demand a phone that won't fit in your pocket.

Moto has 4.5inch phone with the same size as the iphone (i believe it's the one with the intel processor). The new HTC looks great and it would fit nicely.