Apple's iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S are world's two most popular smartphone models

Comments

• Reply 41 of 81
    Don't settle. Demand a phone that won't fit in your pocket.

There is a rumor that Samsung will release a 60" (sixty) smartphone. The Samsung Syndicate was ecstatic about the octogint (80) core CPU which supposedly takes advantage of Project Oleo. Project Oleo is designed to (once again) optimize the Android code for improved efficiency. Several technology pundits have already stated that the Samsung S60 is the best Samsung smartphone ever with an amazing dynamic user interface. One reviewer was quoted as saying, "Finally, an Android device that is nearly half as responsive as the iPhone." One analysis of Samsung finances has concluded that Samsung spent just over $30 on "Research and Development" (at Kinko's) and nearly $30 billion on Advertising and Marketing.
  • Reply 42 of 81
    There is a rumor that Samsung will release a 60" (sixty) smartphone.

Only if it has the 1080p's. I gotta have the 1080p's.
  • Reply 43 of 81
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    The 4s IS a very nice phone.

Ouchy for Sammy.
  • Reply 44 of 81
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Perhaps because the iMac supply was constrained and the previous year's fourth qtr had an extra week. Record iDevices sold.

Yes, ^this^, with the weeks normalized they did experience growth. The math wasn't all that hard.

• Reply 45 of 81
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This is disgusting.

I would expect that Apple should have held the #3 spot also. Having the two most popular phones in the world is simply not good enough. Apple is becoming more and more like RIMM every day.

Excuse me, I have to run off and sign in to my trading account, I need to do a few shorts on AAPL.

• Reply 46 of 81
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Only if it has the 1080p's. I gotta have the 1080p's.

And a stylus! Waiting for Apple's response. AAPL down 100.
  • Reply 47 of 81
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    But Apple is still doomed, right?

Aren't we all from Day 1?
  • Reply 48 of 81

I had 4S and now the 5. Yeah it's nicer but I'm sorry with over 156Bn in their checking account, I'd expected a bit more from APPL. As much as I dislike samsung, everytime I see one of their phone, its a constant reminder of how bigger is somehow better. We're all used to that notion anyway... so making the phone a bit longer  with minor improvments is not what I'm looking for from APPL. Now they're talking about coming withe a new cheaper iPhone!!! No thanks, please charge us a bit more as you've been doing for the past 10 years SO WELL and announce a product that would have a wow effect before all are cash are traded in Korea rather than here. 

• Reply 49 of 81
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Exactly, especially because there's no way 15 millions S3 were sold this quarter (and 18 the last one).

Still, one can be assured that they (samsung) sold more than than 10 million, that means that 10 million people are absolutely stupid and retarded. For me watching someone with a galaxy s3 is like watching those guys and girls with pants bellow their asses. It's retarded and it quickly shows how stupid and ignorant they are. 
    I'm waiting for the Galaxy 4 to appear.
    It will have 8 cores and 32 GPUs. 16 GB of RAM. It will measure 12 inches in screen size to to be able to store the extra hardware and huge batteries to run the thing.
    It will have 12, not 1, slots for expanded memory.
    The UI will be margarine smooth.
  • Reply 50 of 81
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Why not? Do you have proof that they didn't?
    I agree with him and not you.
    Samsung does not reveal sold numbers nor do Apple reveal model breakdowns.
    So you calling him to prove a point that cannot be verified and dubious is rather silly. Can't you go to an android site and be happy there ?
  • Reply 51 of 81
    macrulez wrote: »
    URL?
    You are funny, every time you ask for citations, get of your behind and look for yourself.
  • Reply 52 of 81
    kdarling wrote: »
    So...

+47.8 million total sold
    -27.4 million iPhone 5
    -17.4 million iPhone 4S
    =================
    = 3 million iPhone 4

Interesting.  The lowest priced one is selling the lowest amount, by far.  

Of course, it's also the oldest and is missing Siri.

Proof there's no low end iPhone market?  Or just not low priced enough?  Or ... ?
    Thanks for the MATH lesson. I think most people could do it in their heads.
    So your conclusion is the correct one?
    Think before you post.
  • Reply 53 of 81
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

I'm waiting for the Galaxy 4 to appear.

It will have 8 cores and 32 GPUs. 16 GB of RAM . . . 

The rumor-mill says that Samsung won't be using their Exynos 5 Octa (8-core) processor for the next Galaxy phone, instead opting for the Exynos 5440 quad-core. Ram is still said to be 2GB, not 16. Launch is supposedly late March, but everything is only rumor of course. Nothing official.

• Reply 54 of 81
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hfts wrote: »
    I agree with him and not you.
    Samsung does not reveal sold numbers nor do Apple reveal model breakdowns.
    So you calling him to prove a point that cannot be verified and dubious is rather silly. Can't you go to an android site and be happy there ?

Of course you believe him, it's what you want to hear and it's what mindless sheep do. Me, I question everything whether I want to hear it or not.
  • Reply 55 of 81
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 56 of 81
    Best selling phone.....is this a my dad can beat your dad moment.

Apple's stock price says otherwise!
  • Reply 57 of 81
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Money talks and bullshit walks. They can release all the studies they want, it still wont change the fact Apple didnt had any YoY EPS growth between Q4 2011 and Q4 2012. This is despite the fact the iphone had 25% YoY growth and the ipad had 47% YoY growth in unit sales.

If bullshit walks, you must be a world class walker.

First, Apple's EPS did grow by 7% on a weekly basis. Last year had one extra week. That's considerably more than the Wall Street average - and Apple's EPS is already greatly depressed. And it is also an increase over results that no other company seems to be able to match. If Billy Jo McGuffrey improves his time in a race by 5%, it's no big deal. If Michael Phelps improves his time by 5%, it's huge.

Second, Apple previously explained that they had enormous investments in product launches in Q4 - which would reduce margins at first.

Finally, Apple's results (7% increase YoY) were obtained even in spite of major product shortages due to the launch of new products.

There's absolutely nothing rational about the pummeling of AAPL. By any reasonable metric, the stock is grossly under-priced.
  • Reply 58 of 81
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    adamc wrote: »
    Perhaps
    Perhaps you are not aware that 1st 2012 had 14 weeks vs 13 weeks got 1st 2013 or you are simply ignorant.

Sorry didn't mean to lecture someone who was into stocks since llci or whatever.

I am very aware of this. If you take the 2011 xtra week into account we get 8% YoY EPS growth. To me this is still insignificant growth compare to what Apple did between 2007 and 2011. We are getting dangerously close to negative growth which will be even more horrible for the stock.
  • Reply 59 of 81
    jragosta wrote: »
    If bullshit walks, you must be a world class walker.

First, Apple's EPS did grow by 7% on a weekly basis. Last year had one extra week. That's considerably more than the Wall Street average - and Apple's EPS is already greatly depressed. And it is also an increase over results that no other company seems to be able to match. If Billy Jo McGuffrey improves his time in a race by 5%, it's no big deal. If Michael Phelps improves his time by 5%, it's huge.

Second, Apple previously explained that they had enormous investments in product launches in Q4 - which would reduce margins at first.

Finally, Apple's results (7% increase YoY) were obtained even in spite of major product shortages due to the launch of new products.

There's absolutely nothing rational about the pummeling of AAPL. By any reasonable metric, the stock is grossly under-priced.

This is one of the reasons i am still holding my leaps. But we are bottom feeding here, if Apple would have done the usual growth we had in the past 5 years, we wouldnt be arguing about all those details. The story has changed and the stock as reacted to it. Apple went to growth stock to a value stock that may or may not be a down stock. That is one hell of a change.
  • Reply 60 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

I have a problem with that. you do realize they just had the best quarter ever with one less week, right? of course they won't grow so quickly again... They can't.

you and others like you talk like if apple is on a crysis.

Apple, the company is not in a crisis, but they stock sure is.  Stock price is based on 2 things:

1. Valuation (Stock price divide by earning per share will give you the Price/earning indicator, which is one of many valuation stat)

2. Hopes of growth.

• The more "hopes of growth" there is, the more stock price will "expand" compare to its valuation, making the the P/E indicator bigger. The logic is if the company earns more in the future, the valuation will improve to the justify the price.

• If the "hopes of growth" are neutral, the company becomes a 'value' play.  The P/E will be set depending on interest rates and broad market performance. Value stock P/E average is around 14 at this time.

• If the"hopes of growth' are negative, then the stock will trade below its valuation, the P/E will be very small making the stock "to seem" attractive on valuation, but its all "fake" because if the company is earning less, it wont be able to keep the current valuation which will be worst and worst as time passed.

The current Apple P/E is around 10, which is below the average "value" stock of 14.  This indicates investors thinks Apple will have negative growth in the near future. The tricky part is people don't think Apple will sell less units, but they think the margins will compress to the point it will stall earnings or even reduce them. I personally  thinks Apple is getting oversold below $450, so I will be adding january 2015 calls on dips below $450.  But this will only work if Apple can reverse the trend and go back to some kind of EPS growth.