Brazilian lawsuit accuses Apple of 'planned obsolescence' with fourth-gen iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 106

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Apple should tell them the lawsuit is ridiculous and if they don't drop it they will completely pull out of Brazil. Computers, phones, tablets, everything. That is the only logical response to something so bizarre.

-kpluck 

Spending a few thousand to get some idiots embarrassed in court is less logical than continuing to earn tens of millions in profit, expand the ecosystem, and directly manufacture units?

• Reply 22 of 106
    Let me check my calendar...
    Nope, not April 1st.
  • Reply 23 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

You tell me, Dr Skil. Personally I think the lawsuit is bullshit. But judging by the reaction on here to news items involving China, or South Korea, I wouldn't be surprised to see fireworks aimed at Brazil over this also.

That it is Brazil has nothing to do with the replies. They could have said New York and folks would still be saying WTF over this stupidity.

• Reply 24 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

I mean, people get upset at something or someone when ridiculous things happen... It's the way of life my friend.

I know. Brazil brought the lawsuit, so I'm naturally blaming Lichtenstein. :D

• Reply 25 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That it is Brazil has nothing to do with the replies. They could have said New York and folks would still be saying WTF over this stupidity.

My point has already been proven by Apple ][ .

(Edit: Apple ]['s post subsequently deleted).  

• Reply 26 of 106
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I don't think they understand what planned obsolescence is. Your iPads still work just as well as the day you bought them. Apple will support it is iOS upgrades for years to come. Apple still sells 30 pin accessories even,

If you liked your iPad yesterday but don't like it today because an incrementally better one exists somewhere out there in the world, you're doing it wrong.
  • Reply 27 of 106
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Breaking: idiots sue because technology changes.

Unfortunately, this will probably go to court.

Tell us how this is intelligent using any definition.

I agree with you TS....this looks like flame bait....

• Reply 28 of 106
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

(Edit: Apple ]['s post subsequently deleted).  

I stand by whatever I wrote, deleted or not. image

• Reply 29 of 106
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

They'd be saying WTF for sure, but would anyone be suggesting (in jest or not) that Apple completely pull out of New York?

• Reply 30 of 106
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Doesn't Apple have assembly or manufacturing plants there?  Does the government think they have Apple over a barrel?  There are plenty of other countries who would love the opportunity for a huge corporation to come in and setup shop.

• Reply 31 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    netrox wrote: »
    WTH?!?! The new processor did NOT come out until months later AFTER the iPad 3. iPad4 was updated to have the new processor.

looks like they have no clue on how operations work in technology.

New processor and new connector. I doubt they can show the A6 was ready. I think it would have been fine with the old connector, but I agree they needed to get their flagship models on Lightning. iPad mini /w lightning next to a Retina iPad w/ 30 pin dock connector looks pretty silly.

kpluck wrote: »
    Apple should tell them the lawsuit is ridiculous and if they don't drop it they will completely pull out of Brazil. <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">Computers, phones, tablets, everything. That is the only logical response to something so bizarre.

You might find that your idea of logic is not widely accepted. Your suggestion is highly disproportionate reaction to a single lawsuit by an organization that doesn't necessarily represent Brazil or its people. Is losing billions of dollars in sales a logical reaction to a lawsuit that probably will fail?

jp55 wrote: »
    I don't even consider my 3-year-old 1st gen iPad "obsolete". It works great, and I can't even install iOS6 on it.

I could have sworn my dad's 1st gen installed iOS 6 fine. There might be something wrong with your device, you can probably restore the device and try again, or bring it to Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

They'd be saying WTF for sure, but would anyone be suggesting (in jest or not) that Apple completely pull out of New York?

Yeah, non-New Yorkers probably would.

• Reply 33 of 106
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Of course not. New York is where the most important Apple store in the world is located. It's also the store that generates the most sales out of any in the whole world. There are probably more Apple sales in New York than in many entire countries. 

And while we're on the subject of Brazil, I also think that it was a mistake to be building any factories there, and it would also be a mistake to be building any factories in Turkey. Apple and Foxconn shouldn't be giving in to any ridiculous government demands, just because certain countries are poorly run and have ridiculous taxes and high prices on Apple products. Isn't Brazil the country that has the highest Apple prices in the entire world? Well, that's Brazil's problem, not Apple's.

• Reply 34 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    [URL=http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/21/apple-hit-with-planned-obsolescence-lawsuit-in-brazil-over-fourth-generation-ipad/]At MacRumors:[/URL] Update 9:15 AM: TechLinhas reports that it has contacted IBDI about the matter, with the organization claiming that it is unaware of any such action in Brazil. The site is following up further with IBDI and the lawyer quoted in the news stories.

Also, IBDI sounds more like a watchdog organization rather than a governmental agency.
  • Reply 35 of 106

Why do people keep saying it was only 6 months between their launch? The iPad 3 came out March 16th and the iPad 4 was launched on November 2nd. By my ability to do simple addition that adds up to 7 1/2 months.

• Reply 36 of 106
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Breaking news: something better is just around the corner! Tech flies fast.
  • Reply 37 of 106

Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

looks like they have no clue on how operations work in technology.

This has nothing to do with technology. It is another corrupt group looking to make money with a lottery law suit. Everyone knows it's stupid and baseless, but it may still pay off.

• Reply 38 of 106
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Of course not. New York is where the most important Apple store in the world is located. It's also the store that generates the most sales out of any in the whole world. 

Got a link for that?

• Reply 39 of 106

This is what happens when colonies get their "independence."  image

• Reply 40 of 106
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Just curious what exactly you can do with the 4th gen that you can't do on the 3rd?  I'm not aware of anything.