Google steps further into the hardware fray, announces touchscreen Chromebook Pixel

Comments

• Reply 41 of 228

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

What makes you so sure about that?

I'm looking at the same two OS' as everyone else, I think. I'm also looking at the same iMac design progression, too. 

Eventually that foot is gonna glide right on down there and you'll touch the screen. Slide it back up for viewing media.

Working out a way to make that as simple as possible is, well, Apple's forte.

And let's assume your theory is correct, are you implying that down the road there will be no market for traditional laptop / notebooks? just curious.

Oh, no, just that it's possible Apple won't make them and everyone else will, still clinging to the past. 

Okay, maybe I am. But it's far enough out still that I don't want to trim all of the fat off of the idea yet.

• Reply 42 of 228

have you ever seen a more shameful rip off of a apple commerical

• Reply 43 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

That thing looks weird.  It looks like a prototype of a laptop not the real thing.  Almost like a prop th-t you'd see in a furniture store. :lol:  And yeah a pretty shameless ripoff of the MacBook.  And I thought HP was bad with the Envy. image

That's it, I knew it reminded me of something.  I said children's toy but that's even better, furniture store prop is spot on!

• Reply 44 of 228
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Yeah but the problem with installing Windows on it is that you will have less than 15 GBs of storage after it's all said and done...then having to install Pro apps? That takes another 7+ GBs to install (all the Adobe apps.)

Ridiculous.

Oh, but you can have everything else in the cloud - then if you're somewhere with no Wi-Fi, you can just sit and look at it, wondering why you didn't buy a Mac.

• Reply 45 of 228

Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

have you ever seen a more shameful rip off of a apple commerical

Only in parody form. And even some of the parodies don't do it as well.

• Reply 46 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They just ripped this Chromebook to shreds on the live Vergecast (over at The Verge). I agree there is almost no audience for this thing beyond Google's own employees.

Well, then there's a huge difference in opinion over there because the article I just read on the Verge said the laptop was beautiful and well made.

• Reply 47 of 228
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Ignore the OS completely as you can install Windows on it and it is Linux so you do have other options. Just look at the HW and see if it's a better deal over a 13" RMBP.

OK. So it starts out as being comparable in price to an rMBP with a fraction of the storage capacity. Then, you add another $100-200 for a legal WIndows license for the computer. Then you realize that Windows filled up your 32 GB SSD. You also realize that there are no drivers for it, so it limps along on generic drivers.

What next?
  • Reply 48 of 228
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    feynman wrote: »
    Yeah but the problem with installing Windows on it is that you will have less than 15 GBs of storage after it's all said and done...then having to install Pro apps? That takes another 7+ GBs to install (all the Adobe apps.)

Ridiculous.

Excellent point. Hopefully it has a mini-PCIe card that will take much larger SSDs.
  • Reply 49 of 228
    Not the good ones.

Because they're moving it to tablets on the portable side and large-scale touchscreens on the desktop side.

I'm predicting that Apple's entire lineup of computers, including iMacs, will include touch screens. Furthermore I believe that whatever comes after OS X will be fully touch optimized. Touchscreens aren't going to replace your track pad, but they do add functionality. I've had to catch myself a number of times as I reached forward to click a link on the screen itself. It just makes sense to have a screen be touchable, even if you can use a computer without touching the screen.
  • Reply 50 of 228
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

32 gigs of storage on the device, and then a terabyte of cloud… but after three years you have to pay for it if you want to add more files. Hilarious.

And how does this compare to iCloud cost?

Apple website:

5GB of free storage is plenty for most people. But if you need extra space, you can always buy additional storage.

Additional Storage

Price

10GB

$20/year

15GB total iCloud storage

20GB

$40/year

25GB total iCloud storage

50GB

$100/year

55GB total iCloud storage

• Reply 51 of 228
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Oh, but you can have everything else in the cloud - then if you're somewhere with no Wi-Fi, you can just sit and look at it, wondering why you didn't buy a Mac.

I assume you're being sarcastic? I don't plan on ever owning a Windows PC, I was simply rebutting to his comment.

• Reply 52 of 228

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Touchscreens aren't going to replace your track pad

I disagree, but I'm more radical in that regard than most.

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

And how does this compare to iCloud cost?

I was speaking more from an actual storage standpoint. It compares poorly to the lifespan of a regular terabyte hard drive, certainly. And you don't have to have Wi-Fi or pay for LTE to use one of those!

• Reply 53 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Nexus 4, 7, 10 and now ChromeBook. Will these four products be enough to fill a Google store?

that is if they have more than a handful of the nexus 4 and 7 in stock. As for the nexus 10 and this one, they are/will be a flop.

• Reply 54 of 228

Look ! Apple's latest commercial.

• Reply 55 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

I'm predicting that Apple's entire lineup of computers, including iMacs, will include touch screens. Furthermore I believe that whatever comes after OS X will be fully touch optimized. Touchscreens aren't going to replace your track pad, but they do add functionality. I've had to catch myself a number of times as I reached forward to click a link on the screen itself. It just makes sense to have a screen be touchable, even if you can use a computer without touching the screen.

I bet you have not tried many of the current touch screen laptops. The touchscreens are laughable. IMO touchscreen is a feeble attempt by PC makers to make up for their pathetic trackpads, by using an equally pathetic touchscreen. 

• Reply 56 of 228
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Right now it's more comparable to the MBP but I think the next MBA is likely to get the Retina addition which means it's likely to be even closer in cost to the Chromebook Pixel, although I'd still say it'll cost more, but have at least 64GB. Will the next MBA double the from the 1440x900 to 2880x1800 (255 PPI) or stick with the 13" RMBP's resolution of 2560x1600 (227 PPI)? To me is seems better all around to go with the latter method.

I disagree, but I'm more radical in that regard than most.

So future generations will think Gorilla Glass got it's name because you get gorilla arms when using it?
  • Reply 57 of 228
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I was speaking more from an actual storage standpoint. It compares poorly to the lifespan of a regular terabyte hard drive, certainly. And you don't have to have Wi-Fi or pay for LTE to use one of those!

A notebook that is designed to be used exclusively with a web browser and online apps is expected to be connected to the Internet. If you do a lot of offline work then this is not the device to buy.

I would think that a photo editing app would be desirable but it appears that Picassa currently only supports Win and Mac. I'd expect to see an online app pretty soon. Also it needs more editing features like adding text to images, clone stamping, and compositing. Otherwise it is sort of crippled.

• Reply 58 of 228

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So future generations will think Gorilla Glass got it's name because you get gorilla arms when using it?

Ha! No, the screens will be then where your hands go now. Apple will make the technology come to you, unlike seemingly every other contemporary solution wherein you are being forced to go to the technology. 

• Reply 59 of 228

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Ignore the OS completely as you can install Windows on it and it is Linux so you do have other options. Just look at the HW and see if it's a better deal over a 13" RMBP.

So add a few more hundred bucks to make the thing work. 

And as others have pointed out, not much storage left.

• Reply 60 of 228
    Chrome OS sucks, Chrome books are stripped down, cheap competitors to the Mac, why do they not create a tablet for sakes instead of a laptop, the pixel density for this is the only market leading improvement, again why try to emerge a 3rd OS for computers, apple is finally destroying the market meaning google is creating a slaughter house.