Google denies plans to build its own retail stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The head of Google's Android devision has shot down rumors that his company is planning to enter the retail space and directly sell the company's hardware to consumers.

Andy Rubin said in a roundtable at this week's Mobile World Congress that he feels there is no need for Google to create its own retail stores, according to All Things D. Rubin said customers no longer need to go into a store and "feel" products to make a decision, because most consumers talk to their friends and read reviews online.

Apple Store TM
Apple's trademarked Apple Store layout. | Source: USPTO

He also doesn't think Google's hardware division is mature enough at this point to warrant dedicated retail stores. The company sells a series of Nexus-branded phones and tablets, along with its own Chromebook laptops.

Rubin said at this week's show in Barcelona, Spain, that his company has nothing to announce, and even went as far as to say that Google as "no plans" to open its own stores.

Reports first cropped up last week claiming that Google is developing plans to build its own brick-and-mortar outlets to sell Google-branded products like the Nexus 7 tablet and Nexus 4 smartphone. However, that report said Google may not open its own stores until 2014, which could give the search giant more time to flesh out its hardware offerings.

Of course, Google's chief rival, Apple, has had tremendous success with its own retail stores ? outfits that now serve as the "face" of the company for many customers. And Microsoft got into the retail game in 2009, and has gradually expanded its own stores, which are frequently located in close proximity to existing Apple storefronts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Ah, ok, so no then.

What? Any Rubin says so? Right¡

Fair enough, he does say: "doesn't think Google's hardware division is mature enough at this point to warrant dedicated retail stores" so possibly more copying needs to be done before copying the stores then.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Interesting.

Google essentially continues to ignore the vast sea of issues with Android including lack of support.

Google Stores would have (possibly) effectively addressed the support issues.
  • Reply 3 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Interesting.

Google essentially continues to ignore the vast sea of issues with Android including lack of support.

I think you are kidding ! Contrary to an internet transaction, in a Store, you have the customer physically present  in front of you. So you have to do something to address his questions, criticisms, claims ..... very demanding ... what we heard is consistent with Google's policy , so far ...

• Reply 4 of 38
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Yea - I think they simply do not have enough products to justify the expense of going retail.

Staff, rents, insurance, training and all the rest - to sell what, a handful of products.

Better for them to stay Internet based - for now.

• Reply 5 of 38
    Interesting.

What support issues? When Nexus One launched, Google thought it could sell directly to customers over the Internet without sales support from carriers, and support the thing using just email and web searches. For the "root-it-yourself" crowd. Stores and Genius Bars are for people who can't memorize the specs of every elite Android phone on the market. Google doesn't need stores. It's not their way.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Andy Rubin said in a roundtable at this week's Mobile World Congress that he feels there is no need for Google to create its own retail stores, according to All Things D. Rubin said customers no longer need to go into a store and "feel" products to make a decision, because most consumers talk to their friends and read reviews online.

Is that why Apple Stores are always packed? I have never ever been into an Apple Store when there was just a handful of customers.

• Reply 7 of 38
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    I think they could sell product.

All they have to do is put those glowing reviews "the Verge" gives them of everything Google makes on a continuous video loop in the store.

The Verge even gave that POS "pixel" laptop 7.5 out of 10 and praised the "amazing" screen (despite admitting that it has huge problems scrolling, has bad touch sensors, is a non-standard size and adds little to the experience of using the laptop in the first place).

They should probably just have Josh run Google's marketing arm in fact.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    It is hard to even imagine a google store. At least MS makes revenue on licenses. It isn't inconceivable that Google could work out deals with hardware partners to make some revenue on sales, but with the limited success that MS had (even with license revenue,) and the difficulties of Best Buy et al in the consumer electronics space, why would anyone be led to believe Google is working on this? Far more likely would be an AndroidMarket.com or some other applestore.com equivalent.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Interesting.

The deal breaker is that they would actually have to get a phone number.

• Reply 10 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    robm wrote: »
    Yea - I think they simply do not have enough products to justify the expense of going retail.
    Staff, rents, insurance, training and all the rest - to sell what, a handful of products.
    Better for them to stay Internet based - for now.

It doesn't help that the margins appear to be pretty slim, I think they're undercutting their OEMs.

I jokingly suggested they could operate a nationwide chain of kiosks. Then they could round out their products with accessories. Chargers, docks, cases and cables can be very profitable. By item count, I think half of an Apple Store's stocked items are third party accessories. Every device can mean maybe an average of three add-on items.

I think there's good value in trying it in person. Online reviews only do so much, and you have to know the reviewers to have an idea if they're willing to shade the truth with their biases. I generally don't buy completed electronics without trying it in person. Parts, yes, but finished products, no. Not only that, I don't recall reviews being available when their products

It's moot for me, I guess, because I'm not convinced that Google does enough to support their product. This response illustrates it, because you need to know someone that bought one blind, or be someone that's willing to buy it blind.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Interesting.

No thanks. My photo, height, weight, and eye color would be added to the information Google already stores about me. I'll pass.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    "The head of Google's Android [B]devision[/B]"

I think we have a new record: just one spelling mistake in an article.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    They'd probably know who you are before you'd step into their store. With all the data they have on you.
  • Reply 14 of 38

What a joke.

The whole culture of Google and their services is designed for zero direct interaction with customers. They will point you a link even if you get a chance to ever talk to a Google employee.

Plus, in this example having retail presence would make no financial sense. 

• Reply 15 of 38
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Just like when Schmidt said he doesn't think a phone should be a personal assistant like Siri. Google Voice is the same thing. Just like when they showed the Android phone to Apple showing it as a copy of the Blackberry, we have Droids of iPhones out today. Hmmm what else can we find where they lied?
  • Reply 16 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

No thanks. My photo, height, weight, and eye color would be added to the information Google already stores about me. I'll pass.

Bing already has it so no harm no foul.

• Reply 17 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Andy Rubin said in a roundtable at this week's Mobile World Congress that he feels there is no need for Google to create its own retail stores, according to All Things D. Rubin said customers no longer need to go into a store and "feel" products to make a decision, because most consumers talk to their friends and read reviews online.

One of the most idiotic and short-sighted things I've ever read. A massive part of Apple's success comes from it's retail stores- and the ability of people to "feel" the products, as Rubin states. To get their hands on them, use them, and fall in love with them, with a lax atmosphere and people around to answer questions. I'd never, ever buy a new portable device/gadget/phone/tablet/laptop before getting my hands on it first. 

• Reply 18 of 38
    slurpy wrote: »
    One of the most idiotic and short-sighted things I've ever read. A massive part of Apple's success comes from it's retail stores- and the ability of people to "feel" the products, as Rubin states. To get their hands on them, use them, and fall in love with them, with a lax atmosphere and people around to answer questions. I'd never, ever buy a new portable device/gadget/phone/tablet/laptop before getting my hands on it first. 
    This actually works for Apple. Their products always have a feeling of quality. Can't have people coming in, picking up a plastic tablet and hearing it creak when it flexes in your hands.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    slurpy wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.200000762939453px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);">Andy Rubin said in a roundtable at this week's Mobile World Congress that he feels there is no need for Google to create its own retail stores, </span>
    <a href="http://allthingsd.com/20130226/googles-rubin-no-need-for-retail-stores-to-sell-android-devices/" style="border:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.200000762939453px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);" target="_blank">according to</a>
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.200000762939453px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);"> </span>
    <em style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.200000762939453px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);">All Things D</em>
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.200000762939453px;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);">. Rubin said customers no longer need to go into a store and "feel" products to make a decision, because most consumers talk to their friends and read reviews online.</span>

He doesn't come across as a very intelligent person, does he?

OT: why is this awful HTML formatting still in threads? It's a mess, and a hassle to clean up when replying! I still can't stand using the mobile version as the reply box is limited to just 5 lines of text. Huddler, please!
  • Reply 20 of 38
    camcam Posts: 35member

Quote:

They should probably just have Josh run Google's marketing arm in fact.

Precisely, you can bet there has been a very strategic and quite apparent consolidation and manipulation of media by Apple's competitors since Steve's death.  Control perception and you control reality.  It is very much in these guys best interest to propagate the meme that Apple has run its course and will flounder without its charismatic leader.

This is going to be a very interesting summer, however, because Apple is not done by a long shot.  I do think they have been caught off guard by so many companies essentially using Apple as their R&D department.

The show is not over... in fact, it's about to get really interesting.