Google's Brin says smartphones are antisocial, 'emasculating'

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 91
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Isn't there a saying about trying to remove a speck from someone's eye while you have a plank in your own eye? Brin is taking that saying to a literal level now.

It's funny how inept other CEO's at framing new technology in way that can connect to people? Steve jobs was a master at it. But Brin ends up just sounding like a condescending nerd. It's a fine line between criticizing the shortcomings of technology and criticizing people's choices of technology. Is he really criticizing that touching a flat surface isn't what we're 'meant to do with our bodies' while he's talking to someone with a chunk of plastic sticking out from his eye, like some kind of cyborg pirate?
  • Reply 82 of 91
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Some people purposely don't pull out their phone for every little thing.   I personally don't do text messaging.  I know some do, but I don't.  If I did, it would only be with a VERY limited number of people and it would be only for serious issues.

That's how I try to use my smartphone.  I limit with whom gets the number in the first place.

I also don't do Facebook and Twitter. Those are for kids with nothing better to do.

FB and Twitter for kids?  I don't use them either but I'm seeing too many adult/professional kids around me.

• Reply 83 of 91
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Duplicate.  Again.  Argh!

• Reply 84 of 91
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I also don't do Facebook and Twitter. Those are for kids with nothing better to do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Facebook and Twitter users

I also don't do forums.  Those are for people with nothing better to do.

• Reply 85 of 91
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    "Television is for the lazy and unsophisticated" ~People that read sci-fi, crime and romance novels.
  • Reply 86 of 91
    it's like the bluetooth headset wearing brigade all over again, it is entirely antisocial to be doing anything other than talking or relating to the people you are with.
    Own being antisocial, it's not like those people are more interesting than Farmville anyway!
  • Reply 87 of 91
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I don't know about emasculating but they are somewhat antisocial. Sometimes I see young ladies who look like they would have been charming and lovely had they been trained by a previous generation, but today they walk around like Aspergers sufferers with their head in their cellphone. 

But I don't think Google Glass will change that, people will be just as distracted by that. Their heads might be up but their eyes will still be focussed elsewhere and it won't fool anyone.

• Reply 88 of 91
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't know about emasculating but they are somewhat antisocial. Sometimes I see young ladies who look like they would have been charming and lovely had they been trained by a previous generation, but today they walk around like Aspergers sufferers with their head in their cellphone. 

Putting aside the offensive nature of the simile, I don't think you know what Asperger syndrome is about at all.

• Reply 89 of 91
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    Phones have always been emasculating. I remember visiting people in their office, maybe from miles away, when some guy from one floor up calls on the phone - "Oh, excuse me the important phone is ringing". Five minutes of drivel later, we get back to the point.

Certainly, people feel that getting a call on their mobile is important - "Oh, excuse me, I'm so important someone is calling me". Been the case since before smartphones.

However, strip away this emasculating part that many people indulge in and it's still a very useful device - mainly to Google things on the fly!
  • Reply 90 of 91
    How about this for an idea? Everybody stops relying on their mobile device - whether smartphone, freaky wearable Google glasses or the inevitable "smart" brain implant - and interact with people and the world around you *as it is*, without the need for constant data? Christ almighty, I can't walk for five minutes in any populous area without seeing people glued to their phones.

Just because these glasses sit on the head, doesn't mean they somehow encourage interaction with the environment or those around you. Okay, sure - you can take pictures on the fly and record things and ask for translations or directions or yadda, yadda, ya - but what happened to simply enjoying what's in front of you? Sure, we like to make memories by photographing or recording things, I'm all for that occasionally - but all I see are more people getting more sucked in to any kind of mobile devices they use and losing sight of the world around them - even if they can see it through their Google Glass.

I fear so many of us will forget how to use our own senses, memory, reasoning and personalities in this world if this reliance on data data data everywhere continues.

Rant over; obviously, you wouldn't catch me dead with this device on my head.
  • Reply 91 of 91

you want the truth about emasculation the media has a very drastic influence on these kids and with sports showing negroes kissing you gotta question which direction we are headed this video explains all this