Apple's settlement over in-app purchasing inches closer to approval, may include 23M refunds

Comments

• Reply 41 of 123
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Not until we have implants in our eyes that can tell the device what the perceived brightness is there is no way for it to know.

Why can't it learn that the user sets a certain screen brightness under certain light conditions, simply remember user settings and mimic it when on auto.
  • Reply 42 of 123
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    No it's Apple's fault that there's snakes in the walled garden. Aren't iOS devices so easy to use that a 2 day old kid or a senile old lady can use them? When you dumb things down for people guess what the end result is. They become lazy and stupid.

What a horribly myopic and elitist things to say. Computers are easier today then in years past but in no way does that mean that people are lazier and stupid for it. I know people of brilliant and hardworking people that don't know much about their CE because they simply put their efforts elsewhere; things they deem more important or worthy of their time. This doesn't mean they are lazy. This doesn't mean they are stupid. Do you know everything about your car's mechanics or how to fix every piece of machinery in your home? Of course not, but according to you that makes you lazy and stupid.

Why can't it learn that the user sets a certain screen brightness under certain light conditions, simply remember user settings and mimic it when on auto.

I guess you could teach it but how would it now exactly the varying light sources or the dilation of your pupils or sensitivity of your rods and cones? Also, how would you teach it if you spend that time just trying to access the device to adjust it so it's overly bright in a dark area or overly dim in a bright in a dim area.

For example, you were at the movies one afternoon and were using yuor phone on the dimmest setting before the previews or movie started. It was then in your pocket they entire duration of the film (which means it has no way of knowing what your eyes can perceive as the sensor is in your pocket). You then take it out as you're existing the theater in bright daylight to find that your eyes haven't adjusted and it's too dim to see anything on the display. How exactly can you teach it if you can't use it without altering your environment to use it?
  • Reply 43 of 123
    What a horribly myopic and elitist things to say. Computers are easier today then in years past but in no way does that mean that people are lazier and stupid for it. I know people of brilliant and hardworking people that don't know much about their CE because they simply put their efforts elsewhere; things they deem more important or worthy of their time. This doesn't mean they are lazy. This doesn't mean they are stupid. Do you know everything about your car's mechanics or how to fix every piece of machinery in your home? Of course not, but according to you that makes you lazy and stupid.

Most times a car mechanic doesn't have to troubleshoot. He plugs his computer into the cars computer and all the detective work is done for him. Error codes come up telling him what's wrong with the car. We used to memorize phone numbers, nobody does that, we used to know math, everyone uses the built in calculator, we all used to have lovely penmanship but now most people write like chicken scratch. I for one love technology but it's slowly making us dumber and more reliant on it to tell us the things we used to know by heart.
  • Reply 44 of 123
    Most times a car mechanic doesn't have to troubleshoot. He plugs his computer into the cars computer and all the detective work is done for him. Error codes come up telling him what's wrong with the car. We used to memorize phone numbers, nobody does that, we used to know math, everyone uses the built in calculator, we all used to have lovely penmanship but now most people write like chicken scratch. I for one love technology but it's slowly making us dumber and more reliant on it to tell us the things we used to know by heart.

1) So you think a mechanic is more stupid because cars are more complex with computerized systems that no only make it harder to tell where a problem resides but also can pin point a problem more precisely? FYI, those on-board system can't troubleshoot everything and often they indicate an issue without knowing about the root cause, and they are neither lazy as it not only means they have to know how to fix more vehicle types than in decades past but work the machines that can help them track down issues.

2) You think not remembering a phone number or using a pen as often to write to people makes you lazy and stupid? You sound like Luddite. Might as well just burn all your CE and buy a shake in the woods to live out your days.

3) It is impossible to see how you can love technology when you've done nothing for two posts but make sweeping claims that we are dumber and lazier for having it. I, personally, learn things that I would have had the chance to now if not for computers.

4) You keep saying technology but mastering fire is a technology, animal husbandry is a technology, agriculture is a technology, learning how to make earthen pots is a technology, medicine is a technology, language is a technology and on and on and on. We are living proof that technology has helped our species evolve and the fact that you have time between hunting, foraging and looking for shelter to contemplate the horrors of technology and then go on an internet forum to complain about it isn't proof that technology is bad but that you need a better hobby.
  • Reply 45 of 123
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Should they hold the device for 15 minutes before letting their child use it?

Perhaps there should be a checkbox during the app purchase to indicate that the end user is a child thus enabling the immediate password feature otherwise the 15 minute rule is in effect. That way the parents could hand over the iPad right away to the impatient child. If the iPad had multi-user capability the parental controls could be activated like on OS X.

• Reply 46 of 123
    mstone wrote: »
    Perhaps there should be a checkbox during the app purchase to indicate that the end user is a child thus enabling the immediate password feature otherwise the 15 minute rule is in effect. That way the parents could hand over the iPad right away to the impatient child. If the iPad had multi-user capability the parental controls could be activated like on OS X.

I like that idea, as well as having a way to kill the 15 minute wait time after a purchase from the purchase page, but I think that defaulting tall in-app purchases to need a password by default should also be implemented.
  • Reply 47 of 123
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Agree. Do these parents also ask their toddlers to hold their beer for them?

• Reply 48 of 123
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

I highly suspect that those slamming the parents, don't have any young kids of their own.

The IAP thing happened to us last year.  Wife downloaded a game, gave the iPad to our daughter, ended up with $250 of purchases within minutes.    Fully expecting to pay for this mistake, we wrote Apple to simply ask how to prevent it in the future.  Apple voluntarily responded that they would remove the charges and sent a form email with instructions on how to turn off the "feature". 

Mind you, our daughter had used Android tablets for years before this... without any problem.  (She had preferred them because of all the online kid's apps that were based on Flash.)   Such games almost always have fake money to buy game options, and kids get used to that.

So we thought we doing good when we let her use an iPad instead, after she had expressed an interest in Apple products as she got older.  We figured that Apple, of all companies, would not have a system that was less kid and parent friendly than Android. 

It's heavily ironic that people will promote Apple's products as "they just work", and the iPad as "usable by even babies", and then turn around and claim buyers should know about every setting menu, in order to turn off something that should've been off by default in the first place.

Then again, most Android apps are free and developers never expect to make money on them. They expect them to be stolen.

• Reply 49 of 123
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    The whole in-app purchases was not originally a feature of apps. Apple added the feature to allow the developers a legitimate way of creating add-on purchases. Of course, this opened th editor for unscrupulous developers to put colourful, fun 'money' into their free apps, that look like part of the game, but are, In fact, ridiculous amounts of in-app purchases. So, who is responsible? Are parents to blame, no I don't think so, unless devices defaulted to no purchases and the parent turned in one and agreed to a list of terms and conditions. Is Apple to blame? They need to share part of th blame, for not defaulting to off, and possible for not limiting the maximum amount of in-app purchases to a reasonable amount ie. $10. Are the developers to blame? Absolutely. They new exactly what they were doing, planting purchases in games for 3 year olds, discuising them as part of the game. So, my verdict would be that settlement shout see Apple pay back 30% of the final amount, while the developers involved pay back the remaining 70% - seems like a logical price model. After all, Apple provided the vehicle, without the necessary restrictions, however, the developers demonstrated the intent and deceit, by wilfully and knowingly adding the purchases in games that were aimed at children who were unable to comprehend what they were doing.
  • Reply 50 of 123
    1) So you think a mechanic is more stupid because cars are more complex with computerized systems that no only make it harder to tell where a problem resides but also can pin point a problem more precisely? FYI, those on-board system can't troubleshoot everything and often they indicate an issue without knowing about the root cause, and they are neither lazy as it not only means they have to know how to fix more vehicle types than in decades past but work the machines that can help them track down issues.

2) You think not remembering a phone number or using a pen as often to write to people makes you lazy and stupid? You sound like Luddite. Might as well just burn all your CE and buy a shake in the woods to live out your days.

3) It is impossible to see how you can love technology when you've done nothing for two posts but make sweeping claims that we are dumber and lazier for having it. I, personally, learn things that I would have had the chance to now if not for computers.

4) You keep saying technology but mastering fire is a technology, animal husbandry is a technology, agriculture is a technology, learning how to make earthen pots is a technology, medicine is a technology, language is a technology and on and on and on. We are living proof that technology has helped our species evolve and the fact that you have time between hunting, foraging and looking for shelter to contemplate the horrors of technology and then go on an internet forum to complain about it isn't proof that technology is bad but that you need a better hobby.

You have a problem over exaggerating. Are you one of those that always has a better story? "you know I died once" "oh yeah? Well I died twice". Of course technology has helped us far more than it's hurt us. Look at the whole Manti T'eo situation, they surveyed kids and many found it normal to have a gf/bf that they've never seen in person and only correspond with over the internet. If that's not stupid then I don't know what is.
  • Reply 51 of 123
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No, but thanks for establishing your parenting background.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Then again, most Android apps are free and developers never expect to make money on them. They expect them to be stolen.

As I pointed out, my daughter used Android because of very large and popular Flash based child games (e.g. Moshi Monsters).

Those were not written for Android.  They were written for laptop and desktop usage.

Their revenue comes from getting a fair number of parents to sign up for a small monthly fee that covers everything.

• Reply 52 of 123
    You have a problem over exaggerating. Are you one of those that always has a better story? "you know I died once" "oh yeah? Well I died twice". Of course technology has helped us far more than it's hurt us. Look at the whole Manti T'eo situation, they surveyed kids and many found it normal to have a gf/bf that they've never seen in person and only correspond with over the internet. If that's not stupid then I don't know what is.

1) What story do I have? What anecdote did I use to say something I've done is better than something you've done? That isn't even in context of anything we've discussed about your accusation that technology has made us dumb. You made an ignorant claim without considering the words you chose to use and then backed them up with weak examples in an attempt to prove your point as true. Your case was so ill-conceived and feeble that I shot it down, which is further backed by when next rebuttal wasn't to counter my argument but to make a claim that I am trying to "one-up" you in a story that never existed.

2) And what makes a person "stupid" for connecting with others? I have only a cursory knowledge of T'eo's situation (you just "one-upped" me there :rolleyes:) but I see nothing wrong with individuals interacting without being proximal or knowing what the other looks like. Requiring the latter is quite superficial but it's natural in the animal kingdom.

I personally wouldn't call someone my girlfriend that I only know online, but I also wouldn't call someone my girlfriend that I'm only casually dating, either, not to mention that the label, at least to me, invokes a certain assumption of a physical relationship as dictated by our biological needs. But that's how I define the term but in no way expect everyone else to define their intimate relationships the same way. Can we assume that these people who have never met in person at least interact with other, right? Can we assume that most are being themselves and not dating someone that have egregiously falsified their corporeal self? If they are being honest with other why is wrong that found someone they can connect to that way in the world?

I can't see myself ever using an online dating site but I do think the concept is great. At a bar or club you have alcohol, music and lights to alter your perception of the environment and the people within. At clubs people also tend to dress up more. With an online profile you can read about them. You can get a feel for their personality, their hopes and dreams, activities you both like, and so on. Even putting the questionable matching algorithms aside this seems like a good way to weed out a potential mate quickly based on something other than looks. Again, I can't see myself using it as I'm "old school" but I commend those that do.
  • Reply 53 of 123
    1) What story do I have? What anecdote did I use to say something I've done is better than something you've done? That isn't even in context of anything we've discussed about your accusation that technology has made us dumb. You made an ignorant claim without considering the words you chose to use and then backed them up with weak examples in an attempt to prove your point as true. Your case was so ill-conceived and feeble that I shot it down, which is further backed by when next rebuttal wasn't to counter my argument but to make a claim that I am trying to "one-up" you in a story that never existed.

2) And what makes a person "stupid" for connecting with others? I have only a cursory knowledge of T'eo's situation (you just "one-upped" me there :rolleyes:) but I see nothing wrong with individuals interacting without being proximal or knowing what the other looks like. Requiring the latter is quite superficial but it's natural in the animal kingdom.

I personally wouldn't call someone my girlfriend that I only know online, but I also wouldn't call someone my girlfriend that I'm only casually dating, either, not to mention that the label, at least to me, invokes a certain assumption of a physical relationship as dictated by our biological needs. But that's how I define the term but in no way expect everyone else to define their intimate relationships the same way. Can we assume that these people who have never met in person at least interact with other, right? Can we assume that most are being themselves and not dating someone that have egregiously falsified their corporeal self? If they are being honest with other why is wrong that found someone they can connect to that way in the world?

I can't see myself ever using an online dating site but I do think the concept is great. At a bar or club you have alcohol, music and lights to alter your perception of the environment and the people within. At clubs people also tend to dress up more. With an online profile you can read about them. You can get a feel for their personality, their hopes and dreams, activities you both like, and so on. Even putting the questionable matching algorithms aside this seems like a good way to weed out a potential mate quickly based on something other than looks. Again, I can't see myself using it as I'm "old school" but I commend those that do.

You more often than not take things that I say to the utmost extreme, so that's why I jokingly asked if you were a 'one upper'
  • Reply 54 of 123
    You more often than not take things that I say to the utmost extreme, so that's why I jokingly asked if you were a 'one upper'

Ah, I didn't catch the question mark nor the implied humour. Mea culpa.
  • Reply 55 of 123
    Ah, I didn't catch the question mark nor the implied humour. Mea culpa.

The "I died once" "oh yeah I died twice" didn't give it away?
  • Reply 56 of 123
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

No, but thanks for establishing your parenting background.

I've owned a few pets before. It's basically the same thing as having a little kid running around. I took better care of my pets than many people take care of their kids, from what I've observed.

And I'm pretty sure that if I ever were responsible for a few kids, then there is no way that they would be charging any in-app purchases to my credit card without my knowledge. I stand by what I stated earlier, it is the parent's responsibility to take care of their kids.

• Reply 57 of 123
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mstone wrote: »

Unnecessarily complex. Why create another action point and decision item for people who don't want or need it? Better to simply make the default 'immediate' and the problem is solved. If someone is knowledgeable, they can change it in just a matter of seconds.

Congratulations. You just won the "idiotic analogy of the month" award.
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/156262/apples-settlement-over-in-app-purchasing-inches-closer-to-approval-may-include-23m-refunds/40#post_2286823"]
    I've owned a few pets before. It's basically the same thing as having a little kid running around.

Too bad stupid people are allowed to post here.
  • Reply 58 of 123
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I've owned a few pets before. It's basically the same thing as having a little kid running around. I took better care of my pets than many people take care of their kids, from what I've observed.

And I'm pretty sure that if I ever were responsible for a few kids, then there is no way that they would be charging any in-app purchases to my credit card without my knowledge. I stand by what I stated earlier, it is the parent's responsibility to take care of their kids.

Were any of these pets capable of learning to make an in-app purchase on a tablet or phone? If they were, did you look over their shoulder for every single second they were using their device? Did these doggie app makers design their apps specifically to tempt them to buy bacon with "play" real money in the apps?

Seriously, you're just mindlessly belligerent on this issue. People have explained over and over to you that the 15-minute password retention feature was not documented anywhere, and parents had no way to know that their kids might be able to make additional purchases after they bought and installed an app for them. I have no doubt that the vast majority of parents who fell into this trap made the mistake for no more than one month (when their next iTunes bill arrived). 

I understand that you've staked out an extreme public position on this issue, and you feel like it will undercut your honor or something for you to give way. The "pets are basically the same as kids" thing suggests that you're probably just trolling at this point. So I don't know why I'm bothering to say anything. But people like you are the problem with the internet. 

• Reply 59 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

People have explained over and over to you that the 15-minute password retention feature was not documented anywhere, and parents had no way to know that their kids might be able to make additional purchases after they bought and installed an app for them. 

But that was pre iOS 4.3, was it not? My comments are all based on post iOS 4.3. iOS 4.3 was a long time ago.

• Reply 60 of 123

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Too bad stupid people are allowed to post here.

If you mean that there should be some sort of IQ test, before people are allowed to post, then I would certainly not have any objections to that.