BlackBerry could be building comeback off iPhone, Android converts

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Correct on RIM, their leader was spending his time trying to get an NHL hockey team, but his preferred location wasn't acceptable to Toronto and Buffalo.  In the meantime their BBs were being passed. They tried to keep customers by coming out with so many models of BB it was confusing to all.

Correct as well on HP, Dell, MS, Nokia and Sony. Nokia hiring their Flop leader from MS didn't help much.

Samung are a bit different, through their parts manufacture they had an inside track to Apple's future designs, which they copied. I'll give Samsung credit for having a variety of screen sizes. I'm happy with the screen size of my iPhone 4, but I know several with not so good close vision who prefer the 4.8 size Samsung screens. They know they put up with inferior  and Spyware software, but they have no choice.

Yep, Josh, you're right about Samsung. :)

• Reply 42 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

I just realised what I typed! Epic fail on my part. "Plugged into" and "Wireless" are a contradiction in terms is what I assume made you laugh.

Easy to do! And yep, that is what made me laugh. :) 

• Reply 43 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jmgregory1 wrote: »
    In Canada, from my own experience with friends and colleagues, the RIM devotee percentage is fairly high, so it wouldn't be surprising if some people who had to switch from an older BB to either iPhone or Android, would switch back.  It will be interesting to see what their return numbers look like.  RIM/BB has made just so many mistakes over the past 3-4 years, that they have a lot of fence mending to do just to get back those that left the fold over the years.  And given people do move on (at least many people do, some don't), they'll need to prove it's worth it to make the switch back.

but ... but ... wouldn't those folks would want a physical keyboard to 'thumb with' to make them want to switch back?
  • Reply 44 of 61
    chiachia Posts: 713member

Originally Posted by Hanson Lockyer View Post

Who the hell gives a crap about Dubai?

You mean United Arab Emirates? You should be asking if they really give a crap about America! America is broke as are its consumers. UAE is by far one of the wealthiest countries on the planet and holds most of its gold. You can't be that ignorant.

Uh its the powerhouse and financial center of the entire middle east

Oh please, get some perspective, there's no way the UAE and Dubai, which is little more than a huge shopping mall and theme park, can compare to the Intellectual, Economic, Financial, Industrial and yes Military powerhouse that is the United States of America.

consider:

Welcome to the World's Largest Gold Vault

This vault contains about 25 percent of the world's gold reserves. That's more gold that the entire annual economy of the United Arab Emirates -- home to Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

where is this vault?  It's the Federal Reserve in New York.

List of sovereign states by foreign-exchange reserves

in millions of US dollars:

United States

United Arab Emirates

• Reply 45 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    but ... but ... wouldn't those folks would want a physical keyboard to 'thumb with' to make them want to switch back?

FYI there is a model with a keyboard.

BlackBerry-Z10-and-X10.png
  • Reply 46 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Oh please, get some perspective, there's no way the UAE and Dubai, which is little more than a huge shopping mall and theme park, can compare to the Intellectual, Economic, Financial, Industrial and yes Military powerhouse that is the United States of America.

consider:

Welcome to the World's Largest Gold Vault

where is this vault?  It's the Federal Reserve in New York.

List of sovereign states by foreign-exchange reserves

in millions of US dollars:

United States

United Arab Emirates

Quote: "Very little of it belongs to the U.S. government.

There are roughly 540,000 gold bars belonging to 48 foreign central banks and 12 international organizations such as The International Monetary Fund or The Bank for International Settlement. The United States has about 5 percent of its gold stored there."

• Reply 47 of 61
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Samung are a bit different, through their parts manufacture they had an inside track to Apple's future designs, which they copied.

Non-engineers act as if Samsung made the iPhone's case and software, or that Apple showed chip suppliers what a future device looks like.  They would have no reason to.

Supplying memory chips and making the CPU, doesn't give details on what a device looks or works like.

At the most, supplying a display might give a hint as to size, but even that doesn't tell you if it will get a touchscreen overlaid on it... and Samsung didn't supply screens for size departures like the iPhone 5.

• Reply 48 of 61
    gatorguy wrote: »
    <p style="padding-left:150px;margin-bottom:22px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;font-size:15px;line-height:23px;">Quote: "Very little of it belongs to the U.S. government.</p>

<p style="padding-left:150px;margin-bottom:22px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;font-size:15px;line-height:23px;">There are roughly 540,000 gold bars belonging to 48 foreign central banks and 12 international organizations such as The International Monetary Fund or The Bank for International Settlement. The United States has about 5 percent of its gold stored there."</p>

Yep, it's all collateral.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is complete rubbish and cheap propaganda.

And you certainly can't trust what many Canadians say about it, because quite a few of them are totally blinded and brainwashed by some sort of pathetic nationalism, and many of them support Blackberry simply because it's Canadian. Don't believe me? Just head on over to a Blackberry forum like Crackberry and see for yourself. Many of those people are totally delusional. It is pathetic to support a company just because of it's nationality. I don't support Apple because it's American. I support Apple because they make the most kick ass products around, and they've been doing so for decades. 

Your comments remind me of the movie Argo.

• Reply 50 of 61
    tjwal wrote: »
    Your comments remind me of the movie Argo.

Argo f yourself :lol:
  • Reply 51 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    <p style="padding-left:150px;margin-bottom:22px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;font-size:15px;line-height:23px;">Quote: "Very little of it belongs to the U.S. government.</p>

<p style="padding-left:150px;margin-bottom:22px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif;font-size:15px;line-height:23px;">There are roughly 540,000 gold bars belonging to 48 foreign central banks and 12 international organizations such as The International Monetary Fund or The Bank for International Settlement. The United States has about 5 percent of its gold stored there."</p>

His point stands. The OP stated. "UAE is by far one of the wealthiest countries on the planet and holds most of its gold. You can't be that ignorant."

Nothing in his statement appears to be true until you slide the goal posts to include UAE as "one one of the most wealthiest countries" and then only compare it to countries at the bottom to justify the "by far" comment, but that's not realistic.

The OP also stated that UAE holds most of the world's gold. As ChiA has shown it's the US that actually holds most of the world's gold. Holds and owns are very different things which is why I think the OP might have been smoking something, which i'm sure he was just holding for a friend (see what I did there?).

Now one could argue that the UAE owns most of the world's gold (which I don't think is true), that they under-report most of their precise metal holding (which may be true to some extent, but not to any feasible extreme that would give them the world's largest reserve), that their Emirs are largest private owners of gold in the world (which I can see being true), or that because Dubai often trades in — hence the name City of Gold — that it has the most gold passing through it (which I also think could be true), but what the OP stated is certainly false.

Even more egregious is how he concluded that paragraph which sets him up for being taken to task over his ignorant comments. Now his final paragraph about it being the financial center of the ME seems reasonable to me.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The OP also stated that UAE holds most of the world's gold. As ChiA has shown it's the US that actually holds most of the world's gold. Holds and owns are very different things which is why I think the OP might have been smoking something, which i'm sure he was just holding for a friend (see what I did there?).

That's the only thing I was pointing out.

• Reply 53 of 61
    That sounds like bullshit!
    BB is not get any better then selling Z10 then fixing the plm that crash 2 years ago!
    I have seen and hear that major company r turning to apple products for their business.
    So as former BB owner I was not happy with BB so I sady hand in my BB Tour for an iPhone 4S and wow! Big diff of what I got for a cell phone!
    BB can't match Apple!
  • Reply 54 of 61
    dsluckay wrote: »
    That sounds like bullshit!
    BB is not get any better then selling Z10 then fixing the plm that crash 2 years ago!
    I have seen and hear that major company r turning to apple products for their business.
    So as former BB owner I was not happy with BB so I sady hand in my BB Tour for an iPhone 4S and wow! Big diff of what I got for a cell phone!
    BB can't match Apple!

Again, there's no one that can match the security of a BB which is why many companies will choose to use them. It speaks volumes when a government has to threaten BB in order to get backdoor access to monitor it's employees/citizens. Do you think that people with iPhones were exempt from monitoring, or was the government able to monitor their emails easily?
  • Reply 55 of 61
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Here comes BlackBerry again to spoil the market.  

• Reply 56 of 61
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

This is complete rubbish and cheap propaganda.

There is no report. Some website happened to interview Blackberry's executive vice president of global sales, and that Blackberry executive is the one who is making the outlandish claims.  Remember how playtime was over? This is just more of the same BS.

Though he declined to provide exact sales figures, Rick Costanzo, Blackberry's executive vice president of global sales, said early sales of the BlackBerry Z10, the company's first BlackBerry 10 device, are exceeding expectations. 

So if sales are going so great and "exceeding expectations", why don't they provide any figures to back up their claims? What are their expectations, a thousand units shipped? Man up, grow some balls, and do like Apple does, release real figures if you have anything to announce, otherwise don't say anything at all. Don't waste everybody's time with useless garbage, non-information and insane speculation.

And also, this thing hasn't even launched in the US yet. Many of the markets where it has currently launched aren't really that important. Some crackheads (is that what crackberry forum members are called?) were boasting about how it was reportedly sold out in Dubai. Who the hell gives a crap about Dubai? image Watch out! Next, we'll hear that the new Blackberry is outselling the iPhone 5 in Somalia also!image

And you certainly can't trust what many Canadians say about it, because quite a few of them are totally blinded and brainwashed by some sort of pathetic nationalism, and many of them support Blackberry simply because it's Canadian. Don't believe me? Just head on over to a Blackberry forum like Crackberry and see for yourself. Many of those people are totally delusional. It is pathetic to support a company just because of it's nationality. I don't support Apple because it's American. I support Apple because they make the most kick ass products around, and they've been doing so for decades. 

Where is the hostility coming from?

• Reply 57 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post

I tried using Google Translate to help understand this but no luck.

• Reply 58 of 61
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    frood wrote: »
    Hope RIM can carve a foothold for themselves.  The more people competing the better for everyone regardless of which platform you like.  Should be interesting to see how the Tizen or Ubuntu platforms take off (or sink).

kdarling wrote: »
    Non-engineers act as if Samsung made the iPhone's case and software, or that Apple showed chip suppliers what a future device looks like.  They would have no reason to.

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Supplying memory chips and making the CPU, doesn't give details on what a device looks or works like.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">At the most, supplying a display might give a hint as to size, but even that doesn't tell you if it will get a touchscreen overlaid on it... and Samsung didn't supply screens for size departures like the iPhone 5.</span>
    True, but Samsung managers crying "look we are way behind the iPhone, we must copy it" sure does. Listing all iPhone features and then comparing against own phones and making recommendations to designers to make it look exact is stealing. Heard of the Wallet?
    Now why did they fragrantly copy Apple.
    It's to say we can insult you and there is nothing you can do about it.
    Now you know why I hate Samsung and all the other thieves, worse of all I hate their supporters, people like you for instance.
  • Reply 59 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Now why did they fragrantly copy Apple.

Samsung fragrantly copied Apple? That stinks.

• Reply 60 of 61
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Wow, so HALF of an unspecified number of people downed their iPhones and Android plastic pieces of crap and converted to the new Blackberry.

So using Algebra:

1/2 X 

Find X to see if Blackberry will still be here in 2014.