BlackBerry could be building comeback off iPhone, Android converts

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61

Who the hell gives a crap about Dubai? 

You mean United Arab Emirates? You should be asking if they really give a crap about America! America is broke as are its consumers. UAE is by far one of the wealthiest countries on the planet and holds most of its gold. You can't be that ignorant.

Uh its the powerhouse and financial center of the entire middle east including Israel, Lebanon, Saudi, Kuwait, Egypt, Jordan, Iraq and Iran.

• Reply 22 of 61

Look, the facts speak for themselves. The younger generation is off Apple now and onto Android but uh oh, reports are coming in from Vietnam (80 million people most under 30) that there are lineups for the BB10 and Blackberry is maintaining its cult status. Does anyone know the population of Brazil where Apple lost its right to use the word iPhone? and Indonesia and India? The American hillbilly gingoists here better wake up and smell the coffee.

• Reply 23 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Look, the facts speak for themselves. The younger generation is off Apple now and onto Android but uh oh, reports are coming in from Vietnam (80 million people most under 30) that there are lineups for the BB10 and Blackberry is maintaining its cult status. Does anyone know the population of Brazil where Apple lost its right to use the word iPhone? and Indonesia and India? The American hillbilly gingoists here better wake up and smell the coffee.

Not correct. Apple asked for exclusive right to use the trademark - and was denied. Currently, both Apple and the other company have the right to use the name.

Now, if the other company sues to block Apple's use of the name, they might get it, but that's by no means certain.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

'Facts speak for themselves'? LOL.

Yours has to be the most fact-free post of this thread so far.

What's a 'gingoist'?
  • Reply 25 of 61

People leaving Apple and Android for BB tells me one thing: There are some malcontents out there that can't be pleased by the two richest ecosystems, so they run to BB. Let the FUN begin.

• Reply 26 of 61
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member

I think Apple should do what Aaron calls 'gesture' in the following Youtube.  

• Reply 27 of 61
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanson Lockyer View Post

Who the hell gives a crap about Dubai?

You mean United Arab Emirates? You should be asking if they really give a crap about America! America is broke as are its consumers. UAE is by far one of the wealthiest countries on the planet and holds most of its gold. You can't be that ignorant.

Uh its the powerhouse and financial center of the entire middle east including Israel, Lebanon, Saudi, Kuwait, Egypt, Jordan, Iraq and Iran.

The Blackberry articles that I read and that the crackheads were boasting about specifically mentioned Dubai, like this article:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-10-launch-video-dubai

Dubai is not even a country. It's just a city state and the population is only around 2 million. Dubai is hardly an important mobile phone market, that was my main point. 2 million people is a joke. I also remember a British guy who got arrested a while back because they found .003 grams of marijuana residue on his shoe. I read that he later on got pardoned, but needless to say, I'll be staying far away from that place, as there's probably enough marijuana residue in my Apple keyboard to put me away for life.image

• Reply 28 of 61

The reason most Americans have never heard the term gingoism is explained here

http://jacksson47.hubpages.com/hub/Is-America-Guilty-of-Jingoism

• Reply 29 of 61

Jingoism.    without jingoism you neighbors to the south wouldn't have the support to wage war everywhere on the planet to support your economy

http://jacksson47.hubpages.com/hub/Is-America-Guilty-of-Jingoism

• Reply 30 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Meaningless. Show me the numbers a year from now.

Remember all the analysts projections that had WinMo and then WinPh taking huge chunks of the market back from the iPhone. Every quarter they kept stating that in a few years MS would be running the smartphone market. It's been nearly 7 years and they've just kept dropping. It's hard to see how BB can make a come back simply because they were on top a decade ago.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I guess, but they committed the cardinal sin in business...complacency! :) They were content to give their customers a sh*t phone.

And then the iPhone came along and showed them how to do it right. They were ripping off their loyal customers by not innovating. I have no sympathy for them. I feel the same way about HP, Dell, MS, Nokia, Sony and Samsung.

Correct on RIM, their leader was spending his time trying to get an NHL hockey team, but his preferred location wasn't acceptable to Toronto and Buffalo.  In the meantime their BBs were being passed. They tried to keep customers by coming out with so many models of BB it was confusing to all.

Correct as well on HP, Dell, MS, Nokia and Sony. Nokia hiring their Flop leader from MS didn't help much.

Samung are a bit different, through their parts manufacture they had an inside track to Apple's future designs, which they copied. I'll give Samsung credit for having a variety of screen sizes. I'm happy with the screen size of my iPhone 4, but I know several with not so good close vision who prefer the 4.8 size Samsung screens. They know they put up with inferior  and Spyware software, but they have no choice.

• Reply 32 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Not sure how BB can get covnerts when at least one carrier won't even be carrying the Z10. I doubt the Q10 will popular with those that have moved to a modern smartphone platform.

[LIST]
    [*] http://pedantical.com/newest/2013/3/2/sprint-wont-be-offering-blackberrys-flagship-z10-model
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 33 of 61
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

In other news:

"Windows 8 adoption is almost at a standstill"

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/149762-four-months-in-windows-8-adoption-is-almost-at-a-standstill

Quote:

In the month of February, according to Net Applications, Windows 8 gained 0.4% of the desktop market, moving from 2.26 to 2.67%. In comparison, Windows 7 had a market share of over 9% after four months of public availability. A growth rate of 0.4% is absolutely horrendous, and — if we assume that PCs are replaced every five years — actually below the natural attrition/replacement rate. If growth of 0.4% wasn’t bad enough, it’s also worth pointing out that it’s down from 0.5% in January — yes, Windows 8 adoption is slowing down.

Quote:

At this point, it isn’t entirely clear how Microsoft intends to spur the adoption of Windows 8. It’s a bitter pill to swallow, but Windows Vista actually enjoyed faster growth than Windows 8 — and we know all too well how the Vista story played out. Despite selling Windows 8 at a massively discounted price of $40 for three months (it’s now $200), and sales boosts from Black Friday and Christmas, it’s clear that Windows 8 has failed to take off

I fully expect Apple stock to drop because of this news. Isn't that how things work these days?

• Reply 34 of 61
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Good for them. Their UI innovates and the design of the phone is certainly original.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Brilliant! Made me laugh! :)

I just realised what I typed! Epic fail on my part. "Plugged into" and "Wireless" are a contradiction in terms is what I assume made you laugh.

• Reply 36 of 61
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I think you're doing it wrong.

I just realised what I typed! Epic fail on my part. "Plugged into" and "Wireless" are a contradiction in terms is what I assume made you laugh.

• Reply 37 of 61
    dcolleydcolley Posts: 87member
    If I were Apple, I'd be ripping this phone apart for stolen IP
  • Reply 38 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I hope BB is able to maintain a niche for itself, but no, this is not even going to have even a negligible effect on iPhone/Android sales. There's absolutely nothing that most users will see as an advantage, and there's a ton of disadvantages. I've used one, and although not a bad device, it didn't spark an ounce of excitement out of me. I don't see this coming in ahead of even Windows phone, nor do I see how these mythical "converts" might be. What advantages outweigh jumping ship and foregoing Apple or Google's ecosystem?

They will still be purchased by corporations that need that level of security.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Dubai was on its death throes a few years ago, and was bailed out of ignominy by the emirate of something-or-the-other (a neighboring country). A lot of the 'wealth' is in the form of empty, absentee-landlord, real estate built by foreign architects and foreign labor. Yes, there are some fancy high-rises such as the Burj Khalifa, but there is no industry, no services (other than tourism and shoppers from Asia) to speak of. 

Blackberrys have always been popular all over the Middle East. The fact that they may do well there (or not) does not mean much at all.

They have oil just not much of it, and before running out and becoming broke they decided to make it a tourist destination.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    a new report says half of BlackBerry Z10 buyers are coming to the device having left Google's Android platform and Apple's iPhone.
    Half of a small number is an even smaller number. Without proper sales figures this report means precisely nothing.