Apple updates education only 21.5" iMac model, bumps price to $1,099

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In an update to its traditional special priced Mac offerings targeted at educational institutions, Apple is now offering the newly redesigned 21.5-inch iMac with a 3.3GHz dual-core Intel i3 processor, 4GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD for $1,099.

Education iMac


Compared to Apple's previous iMac for education, which featured a 3.1GHz dual-core i3 CPU, 2GB of RAM and a 250GB HDD, the new thin-and-light model is $100 more expensive but comes with more RAM and storage space. However, the new 21.5-inch iMac uses Intel's HD 4000 integrated graphics chipset, whereas the older version came with a discrete AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics card.

Like the consumer iMac, the made for education iteration brings Thunderbolt, USB 3.0 and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity while dropping FireWire support. Also of note is the lack of an optical drive, which is a necessity for many schools that regularly install and update software. Interestingly, the standalone drive cannot be added to the configuration upon checkout.

As noted by MacRumors, the education only iMac is available to ship in 5-7 days, which is a bit longer than the 3-5 days quoted for machines with regular specifications. Apple recently caught up with iMac demand after suffering supply constraints during the holiday quarter, with North American customers now seeing 24-hour ship-by times for preconfigured models.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 29
    rob53rob53 Posts: 2,007member
    "Also of note is the lack of an optical drive, which is a necessity for many schools that regularly install and update software." What software are you talking about? Old software or copies of software that's being distributed illegally? Most software for Macs is available through the App Store or from other on-line distribution methods. Schools need to regulate what software is installed and how the computers are used so removing the optical drive should maintain cleaner systems. If they want to install software, then use a master iMac with optical drive and do remote installations. Schools are able to join the 21st century and don't have to continue to operate like old-time PCs.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    unotherunother Posts: 40member
    Yeah, I think its inane when people point out "no media drive". Whatevs, this is 2013 %u2014 not 2002!
  • Reply 3 of 29


    Why would a school be installing software via CD?  There are very few titles out there that couldn't be easily deployed via network installs.  Apple Remote Desktop is a powerful tool for that purpose.


     


    On the off chance that you absolutely MUST have a CD drive with the machine, the school can buy a handful of drives that the techs can connect to USB ports for the installs.


     


    Removing the CD drive from the machines is going to save a ton in repair costs.  Kids tend to stick anything into the CD slot, destroying the drive in the process.  No slot, less chance of damage.

  • Reply 4 of 29
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,115member


    Any software that doesn't have a digital download method at this point doesn't even deserve to be used or purchased. I can't even think of the last software I used that came only on CDs. 

  • Reply 5 of 29
    The above comments come from three parents, no doubt.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The above comments come from three parents, no doubt.

    Why would parents not see the need for an ODD in 2013 but non-parents would? :???:
  • Reply 7 of 29
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post





    Why would parents not see the need for an ODD in 2013 but non-parents would? image


    Its a joke that parents don't really have a damn clue what teachers/education system do/need.  Speaking as the spouse of a teacher, I can pretty much confirm that stereotype.


     


    Also working at a university I can tell you that (some/many?) big organisations do in fact need optical drives for software, which might be stupid, lame, so last year, whatever, but its plain simple fact.

  • Reply 8 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    joelsalt wrote: »
    Also working at a university I can tell you that (some/many?) big organisations do in fact need optical drives for software, which might be stupid, lame, so last year, whatever, but its plain simple fact.

    In what way do they need an ODD? Because they sent on a CD/DVD and therefore can loaded onto the network and installed as needed, or they need to run from the image which means they can copied to as a DMG with Disk Utility?

    If an app absolutely needs to read from an ISO, for whatever reason, anyone who manages Macs should know how to use hdiutil to convert a DMG to an ISO.

    So what am I missing that some claim that every Mac will need to have a CD/DVD player for thereby deemed completely useless?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by unother View Post



    Yeah, I think its inane when people point out "no media drive". 


     


    Where's my floppy? I want to install Lemonade Stand on my iMac.

  • Reply 10 of 29
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    In what way do they need an ODD? Because they sent on a CD/DVD and therefore can loaded onto the network and installed as needed, or they need to run from the image which means they can copied to as a DMG with Disk Utility?

    If an app absolutely needs to read from an ISO, for whatever reason, anyone who manages Macs should know how to use hdiutil to convert a DMG to an ISO.

    So what am I missing that some claim that every Mac will need to have a CD/DVD player for thereby deemed completely useless?

    I don't work in IT, but when I want software it generally comes to my desk as a DVD. There are all sorts of non-tech reasons this could be, such as payment. Or it could be old software. Maybe it's just the specialized stuff I use. (Though it can't be because I use Ms Office and camtasia, among other things)

    And I'm not defending whatever reasons they give me, only suggesting that some organisations need their employees to have ODDs, even if if they technically shouldn't. But changing how 2000 people get software takes some work I'm sure.

    ps I don't see why they couldn't use air drives for installation. So I'm not really against the lack of disk drives
  • Reply 11 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jollypaul wrote: »
    Where's my floppy? I want to install Lemonade Stand on my iMac.


    joelsalt wrote: »
    I don't work in IT, but when I want software it generally comes to my desk as a DVD. There are all sorts of non-tech reasons this could be, such as payment. Or it could be old software. Maybe it's just the specialized stuff I use. (Though it can't be because I use Ms Office and camtasia, among other things)

    And I'm not defending whatever reasons they give me, only suggesting that some organisations need their employees to have ODDs, even if if they technically shouldn't. But changing how 2000 people get software takes some work I'm sure.

    If they need ODDs for some software then my previous comments stand. If there is some reason why every student needs to have an ODD and the content can't be loaded on a drive as a DMG or some other method that have existed for 2 decades, then that isn't likely something that will be an issue as I can't imagine any functioning school using old software, that can't be loaded on a machine, that would also need to buy all new Macs for students.

    WE're not just talking about the on-time installation of the SW when people say you have to have an ODD on a machine at all times, you're talking about the constant use of the ODD, otherwise an external to load and install the SW would be more than adequate, which also means someone in IT creating an image of the disc and then installing it remotely.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I know this is education only- but this is more than enough computer for the majority of desktop users.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    ktappektappe Posts: 759member
    It is odd that this article does not include a table that compares the specs of the education vs. consumer models.
  • Reply 14 of 29

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post


    Any software that doesn't have a digital download method at this point doesn't even deserve to be used or purchased. I can't even think of the last software I used that came only on CDs. 



     


    I hear the CD-ROM market is poised to take off. Every PC will have one by 1995. Once again, the Mac is being left behind. /s

  • Reply 15 of 29
    Dual core i3? 4 GB RAM? Still not under $1000?

    Pathetic.


  • Reply 16 of 29
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post



    Dual core i3? 4 GB RAM? Still not under $1000?



    Pathetic.



     


    I'm sorry, but are you blind? Those things you mentioned are more than enough for what's needed. But then you have that amazing beautiful screen, that amazing design and build quality... There's nothing out there that's a better deal.


     


    Unless you think plastic boxes for the sole purpose of playing COD are a better investment. This is for colleges... It needs to be reliable, look great, have a better OS, you know... And please, don't talk about "powerful". Just because you write "exit" on the command line to exit the program when you accidentally open it, instead of using the red button (windows), doesn't mean you are badass.


     


    There's not a better desktop for the same price, unless you are talking about toys. This is for work.

  • Reply 17 of 29
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    I must say, this is a missed and very good PR opportunity on Apple's part.

    They should be offering an i5/8gb RAM with a small(er) Fusion drive for $999.00 to education markets. This is and would be a more than capable computer for 5-6 years, and Apple would gain and retain the "eyeballs" of their future market.

    Think of the lost margins today, as an investment for the future. 8-)

    Disclaimer: I am thoroughly and with my whole being against "cheap" anything from Apple... especially a cheap iPhone! :devil:
  • Reply 18 of 29
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post



    I must say, this is a missed and very good PR opportunity on Apple's part.



    They should be offering an i5/8gb RAM with a small(er) Fusion drive for $999.00 to education markets. This is and would be a more than capable computer for 5-6 years, and Apple would gain and retain the "eyeballs" of their future market.



    Think of the lost margins today, as an investment for the future. image



    Disclaimer: I am thoroughly and with my whole being against "cheap" anything from Apple... especially a cheap iPhone! image


    Are you missing something like:


     


    -they can't make enough of them for their costumers;


    -they are crazy expensive/complicated to build, at least for now.


     


    the interior is unnecessary. for education, an i3 is plenty, 4gb ram is plenty (most likely it will run 1 or 2 programs at time, 500gb is plenty (they are all connected) and what sets them apart from crappy PCs is the OS, build quality, beauty, reliability, etc.


     


    I don't expect the average joe that just wants a COD machine to understand that... but c'mon.

  • Reply 19 of 29
    Funny to see everyone attacking the comment about schools needing an ODD. I'm with them. I work closely with Schools ICT Support and Service Development. Shame the author is out-of-touch... or the schools he/she knows are out-of-touch.
  • Reply 20 of 29

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post



    Disclaimer: I am thoroughly and with my whole being against "cheap" anything from Apple... especially a cheap iPhone! image


Sign In or Register to comment.