Apple marketing chief uses rare Twitter post to take shot at Android security issues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Isn't Phil Schiller sounding like, he is actually welcoming hackers to iOS?

• Reply 22 of 71
    xuselppaxuselppa Posts: 19member
    I love this site for the sheer amount of bullshit you provide. (Thanks to Smallest Dill).

You do realize that iOS in itself would fall under the definition of a virus by the company that provided this report? (F-Secure has reported some of the exact same findings regarding iOS in the past, but never called them "viruses". GPS tracking and access via root commands by 3rd party apps sticks out!)
    Oh, and for those that jailbreak, what do you think that is? By definition, it is a hack and therefore can be used by malicious parties to introduce spyware, adware, etc... and is this sort of exploit or "fork" of iOS discussed in the report? Nope. Left out. I wonder why?

You guys are great at swallowing the load of pure crap spewed by this site. And isn't it funny, that on all the sites out there regarding Android, I have yet to hear of a single person getting a virus on their Android phone. And I doubt we'll hear much of iOS devices getting hacked, simply because they aren't smart devices. They are glorified feature phones, locked down to the point of uselessness. Designed for kids and geriatrics. People are stuck in the quagmire that Apple designed to keep the sheep fenced in. Now you believe you have no choice, but to keep buying the same iCrap. BTW, here's a shocker. iPhone 5s will look exactly like the iPhone 5 and 4s and 4. But it will still be hailed as innovative... by the iSheep.

And you gotta love that stretched turd shape of the iphone5, made with crap aluminum that can't be set down on a hard surface or it will get scratched. Can't be placed in your pocket or it will bend. Has had 3 software updates and the software is still fucked up. Apple will soon be selling their iDevices in Toys'R'Us, because that is really where they belong. Loving the stock dump too. What are we at now? 40% drop in just a few months? Google is at an all time high?

I love laughing at this site and smallest dill in particular. I'm gonna go enjoy some Jelly Beans on a real phone and tablet.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    chandra69 wrote: »

If so that would be a good strategy. Let them try. If there are vulnerabilities, use them to get in front of it.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stGenRex View Post

No device is 100% secure, as most times, the user tends to be the weak link. 

You're right that no device is 100% secure, and nobody should take security for granted, including people who use iOS.

However, what that chart clearly tells me is that Android is vastly less secure than everything else that is out there, and that is certainly something to consider for people who are choosing a mobile platform.

• Reply 25 of 71

Originally Posted by Apple ][

They do indeed.I don't know about Android users, but I value my info, and there is no way that I would put all of my personal info at risk just to save a buck or two. I'm talking about various bank account info, credit card info, trading firm info, email info, online retail info, various passwords etc............And somebody expects me to put all of that on an Android device, that is about as secure as a safe made out of cardboard? image

I just completed a bank transfer earlier today on my iPad. No way in hell would I have ever done that on any Android device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------

And yet, the only time my accounts have been hacked was thanks to Apple's lame approach to security via iTunes and customer service line. Those idiots would give anyone calling all the access to an account they wanted. Awesome Apple. /s

And I have completed thousands of transactions from various bank accounts via my Nexus 7 and S3. Guess what? Never an issue. Maybe because I use apps from the banks and not the web, like most Android users.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

What's dumb is the media doesn't latch on to this and crucify Android over this. If it was Apple, we wouldn't hear the end of it.  But Android?  They probably expect all of this malware, so it isn't newsworthy.

• Reply 27 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Bring it on.

In the old days, Windows fanboys would claim that there weren't that many Macs out there, so that's why there were hardly any viruses or malware for it, because the hackers couldn't be bothered they claimed. I'm glad that I don't have to run any virus apps on my Macs, working in the background and using up CPU power.

But now, with so many iOS devices out there, that same argument doesn't hold any water. If hackers and criminals wish to target iOS, they will, or at least they can try. How successful they'll be is another matter, as Apple has been pretty much on top of things lately, and security holes have been patched up very quickly.

Android just seems like a complete mess and a haven for criminals. 

• Reply 28 of 71
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

No, he's just putting the information link and telling people to be safe.  He wasn't slamming anyone, he's letting the information speak for itself.

• Reply 29 of 71

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Bring it on.

In the old days, Windows fanboys would claim that there weren't that many Macs out there, so that's why there were hardly any viruses or malware for it, because the hackers couldn't be bothered they claimed. I'm glad that I don't have to run any virus apps on my Macs, working in the background and using up CPU power.

But now, with so many iOS devices out there, that same argument doesn't hold any water. If hackers and criminals wish to target iOS, they will, or at least they can try. How successful they'll be is another matter, as Apple has been pretty much on top of things lately, and security holes have been patched up very quickly.

Android just seems like a complete mess and a haven for criminals. 

iOS has had viruses already. Every OS has. Difference between iOS and Android. When I download an app, I get to see the permissions it is requesting and I can deny them. You put all your faith in Apple and if they screwed up, "Oh well. Sucks for you." Apple treats you like your kids. You enjoy being dominated. You welcome it.

• Reply 30 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple  View Post

You're right that no device is 100% secure, and nobody should take security for granted, including people who use iOS.

However, what that chart clearly tells me is that Android is vastly less secure than everything else that is out there, and that is certainly something to consider for people who are choosing a mobile platform.

I can't say I disagree. I just can't help but laugh at the overall tone of some of the posts here, but it seems that at least some people here are open to conversation, without completely ignoring common sense.

• Reply 31 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Let's see the Fandroids try to spin this news.

I posted a link to the F-Secure study n the thresd about freezing Android and it was already spun: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156354/researchers-bypass-android-encryption-by-exposing-phones-to-freezing-temperatures#post_2289656
  • Reply 32 of 71
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Let's not forget this incident too quickly...

The iPads were not compromised. AT&T's server was the hacked and IMEIs and email address were stolen from AT&T. It had nothing to do with malware on the device.

• Reply 33 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by xuselppa View Post

You put all your faith in Apple and if they screwed up, "Oh well. Sucks for you." 

I certainly do. I've been putting my faith in Apple for decades now, and never once have they screwed me over. I've owned countless Apple hardware throughout the years.

Now why in the world would I choose something else, from somebody else that I certainly do not trust? Apple has earned my trust. And it's not just my trust that they have earned, as Apple has the most satisfied customers on the planet.

• Reply 34 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mstone wrote: »
    The iPads were not compromised. AT&T's server was the hacked and IMEIs and email address were stolen from AT&T. It had nothing to do with malware on the device.

How dare you bring facts into the argument¡
  • Reply 35 of 71

Quote:

I can't say I disagree. I just can't help but laugh at the overall tone of some of the posts here, but it seems that at least some people here are open to conversation, without completely ignoring common sense.

So you're saying that I'm open to conversation and that I don't completely ignore common sense? 

I see that you're new here, but I'm asking because some people regularly accuse me of the exact opposite around here. Just yesterday, as a matter of fact.image

• Reply 36 of 71

Quote:

I certainly do. I've been putting my faith in Apple for decades now, and never once have they screwed me over. I've owned countless Apple hardware throughout the years.

Now why in the world would I choose something else, from somebody else that I certainly do not trust? Apple has earned my trust. And it's not just my trust that they have earned, as Apple has the most satisfied customers on the planet.

I could say the same thing about Windows and Android, but his point about listed permissions should not be completely ignored, as it's rather valid.

Quote:

So you're saying that I'm open to conversation and that I don't completely ignore common sense? 

I see that you're new here, but I'm asking because some people regularly accuse me of the exact opposite around here. Just yesterday, as a matter of fact.image

Seems that way, at least the way you replied to my post. But let's give it some time :P
  • Reply 37 of 71

Quote:

I could say the same thing about Windows and Android, but his point about listed permissions should not be completely ignored, as it's rather valid.

I don't think that his point about listed permissions is completely valid, because it only applies to a tiny minority of users.

I see similar arguments being made from time to time, and they're always being made by people who are technically proficient or who claim to be technically proficient. The average user is not. The average user is dumb as crap, and doesn't even know what permissions are. Walk up on the street to some average person using an Android phone, and ask them what permissions are. Most wouldn't have a clue I bet.

A good OS needs to protect everybody, not just .7% of users.

• Reply 38 of 71

Quote:

I don't think that his point about listed permissions is completely valid, because it only applies to a tiny minority of users.

I see similar arguments being made from time to time, and they're always being made by people who are technically proficient or who claim to be technically proficient. The average user is not. The average user is dumb as crap, and doesn't even know what permissions are. Walk up on the street to some average person using an Android phone, and ask them what permissions are. Most wouldn't have a clue I bet.

A good OS needs to protect everybody, not just .7% of users.

Hence why I cringe when an average person asks me for Admin Rights on a work laptop, so they can install some mundane piece of software. Again, this goes back to my point of stating that users are the weakest link, and they should be educated. If they chose not to educate themselves, or ignore those who try, then I have a hard time feeling sorry for them.

• Reply 39 of 71

Quote:

Again, this goes back to my point of stating that users are the weakest link, and they should be educated. 

I guess this is where we disagree. Because the average person is looking to buy a phone, not a mainframe that requires a college degree in computer science.

The average user is not a pimpled faced 17 year old nerd living in their mom's basement and spending hours rooting their phone.

The average user is somebody like a mom or a grandmother, and they are not interested in being "educated" in order to properly and safely use their devices. They just want a phone that works.

• Reply 40 of 71
    slurpy wrote: »
    Same way they spin the "no viruses on a mac" as a negative. 

"Smart people know how to protect themselves from spyware/malicious software/etc, so Macs are for stupids" or some other such horse-shit. In their deranged world, people actually want to install antivirus protection, etc on their phones. 

In much the same way that the GUI wasn't real computing…you had to go to the DOS command line for that, apparently.