Apple's iPhone accounts for two thirds of smartphones watching Web videos, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A Web video provider reported on Monday that two thirds of mobile-based traffic seen on its network originate from Apple's iPhone, while Android devices accounted for roughly one third.

Ooyala
Source: Ooyala

According to statistics from Ooyala, as reported by AllThingsD, Apple's iPhone took a 67 percent share of the total time mobile users spent watching videos, more than double the 33 percent share of handsets running Google's Android.

As a way of quantifying the findings, Ooyala offered a graph of the latest iOS and Android shipment statistics from IDC. The research firm found Apple to hold a 19 percent share of worldwide shipments for the 2012 calendar year, while Android continued to dominate with a 68 percent slice of the market.

While the metrics are but a sampling of the massive number of smartphone owners worldwide ? the firm serves up content to some 200 million unique viewers globally ? the huge gap in viewership is consistent with other studies, the most recent of which found iOS users account for 84 percent of mobile devices accessing Wi-Fi networks on airplanes.

It is unclear what factors into the discrepancy, as products from Apple and those from Android device makers have similar access to web videos, but the findings underscore the difference in how users interact with the two platforms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    And, people say Apple is doomed! Oh boy!
  • Reply 2 of 28
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Also interesting in web usage is Android's tablet usage is actually falling and will, more than likely, be at pre-Christmas levels by the end of the month. The iPad usage data points to usage growth that is as strong in Feb and March as it was in December.

My thought is the poor supply performance is a collapse of the Android tablet market and has nothing to do with Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    Is this phone network, wifi or both? I would guess that a lot of android users have very basic data plans vs a lot of iPhone users having unlimited plans. Both my kids have Nexus 7 tablets and while they may not browse the web in traditional sense, via a browser, the 2 tablets get a lot of use.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    iPhones are [I]just[/I] toys after all¡
  • Reply 5 of 28
    Ooyala? Why don't they use a more popular video content distributor like YouTube or even vimeo. Sounds like this guy is cherry picking the ones that has Apple on top.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Ooyala? Why don't they use a more popular video content distributor like YouTube or even vimeo. Sounds like this guy is cherry picking the ones that has Apple on top.

I've never even heard of them before today.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    This is entirely in line with all the other web usage data comparing the two platforms. Apple iOS users simply find it easier to access web content and are more inclined to do so.
  • Reply 8 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

Quote:

We’re driven by a passion to help our customers succeed. Dell, ESPN, Yahoo! Japan, Telegraph, TV Guide, Wenner Media, The Hearst Corporation and Miramax: these are a few of the global companies that trust Ooyala to deliver engaging and personalized online video solutions every day. 

• Reply 9 of 28

Quote:

Standard response to something you don't like. How many more of these reports do we have to see before people finally admit Android users don't use their devices as much as iOS users do? IBM, Chitika, IDC, Flurry - all the studies done on iOS vs Android usage put iOS out front. On the tablet side it's just plain embarrassing.

My guess is YouTube isn't going to release such a report since it's owned by Google and they don't want to have a non-Android device dominating (or taking the top 3 spots). What's I find funny is Google Analytics. In their "sample screenshot" for mobile they have a Galaxy Nexus as the top device with the iPad second and iPhone third. What a joke. I doubt there's a website anywhere in the world that doesn't have the iPad or iPhone as the top device. I bet even Android websites get more iOS traffic than they do Android traffic (but there's no way they'd ever admit it).

• Reply 10 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This is entirely in line with all the other web usage data comparing the two platforms. Apple iOS users simply find it easier to access web content and are more inclined to do so.

That or those with Galaxy S III's and other higher-end Android-based devices should be very upset with any phone running Android OS being called a "smartphone."
  • Reply 11 of 28
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

You believe then having a duopoly? While I have not heard of them, they claim over 200,000,000 unique users/month and you also think every single business and individual is perfectly served by YouTube (I cringe every time I have to visit the site though their embedded player is OK) or Vimeo (I like that site lots)? The reality is there are several different needs when it comes to video distribution on the Internet and all the different needs are not served by simply two different companies (Flixter might have different needs than CNN for example). As a result, there are many players in the field.  This is one of them.

• Reply 12 of 28
    hftshfts Posts: 386member

This is news ?

Just woke one of my two cats to tell them this, they yarned, snarled and went back to sleep in the high 30s Celcius heat.

EVERYONE knows, or should know that android smart phones are used as feauture phones and are a waste.

Its like giving a NMR Spectroscopy machine to a poor African villager. (Note: No disrespect to the African).

• Reply 13 of 28
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    steven n. wrote: »
    You believe then having a duopoly? While I have not heard of them, they claim over 200,000,000 unique users/month and you also think every single business and individual is perfectly served by YouTube (I cringe every time I have to visit the site though their embedded player is OK) or Vimeo (I like that site lots)? The reality is there are several different needs when it comes to video distribution on the Internet and all the different needs are not served by simply two different companies (Flixter might have different needs than CNN for example). As a result, there are many players in the field.  This is one of them.

I think it's a fair question. I have no qualm with other sites, but if people are using a more "obscure" site for specific reasons, then it stands to reason that it's a niche that doesn't represent the overall user base as well as a more popular site would.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

This data settles it.  iPhone users are clearly superior mobile video watchers.

• Reply 15 of 28
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    The world has overwhelming number of people uninterested in utilizing smartphone features and unwilling in paying premium prices for a iPhone. In China smartphone users may just be paying whatever data they consume. If they don't access data they pay just as much as using a feature phone. In China many cheap smartphones cost the same as a smartphone. So a buyer will simply buy a cheap Android phone instead. This is the simple reason why Android phones have overtaken iPhones in market share by a mile. A cheap iphone is simply to chase this group of people. The question is whether this fits the iPhone strategy. This is a decision that Tim Cook needs to think very carefully.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    ngrlvrngrlvr Posts: 24member
    No doubt iOS is ahead by a lot of metrics, but by the same token, this is a poor report by a lot of metrics. Also, has anyone ever tried posting here from an iPad? The whole space is covered by the keyboard...you'd think this site of all sites would get it right...
  • Reply 17 of 28
    dancxgdancxg Posts: 36member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngrlvr View Post

No doubt iOS is ahead by a lot of metrics, but by the same token, this is a poor report by a lot of metrics. Also, has anyone ever tried posting here from an iPad? The whole space is covered by the keyboard...you'd think this site of all sites would get it right...

no problem here when posting a reply with mobile or desktop selected.  my wife had this problem with facebook though.  If you hold down the little keyboard icon on the keypad you should get a "dock" or "undock" prompt hit that and you should be fine.  When its undocked the keyboard floats in the middle of the screen.

• Reply 18 of 28
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

you'd think it would have dawned on the pundits by now that cheap Android phones are largely replacing "feature phones" for consumers world wide who don't do much more than text and check Facebook with them, plus take low quality snapshots to go with that. whereas consumers who buy iPhones mostly intend to actually use many more of their smartphone capabilities.

like, duh.

• Reply 19 of 28
    tsun zutsun zu Posts: 72member

How can they? They do not have Flash!

• Reply 20 of 28
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsun Zu View Post

How can they? They do not have Flash!

They don't even have a "big screen" phone. :) The one people said is far more superior.