Apple adds iOS Maps Flyover support, 3D buildings, turn-by-turn navigation in multiple cities

Comments

• Reply 41 of 101
    Wow flyover... Now you can get lost with a crappy map but at least it looks cool...
  • Reply 42 of 101
    I was just coming back from Shenzhen China.

Because of the bad press about Apple Maps I also downloaded Nokia "Here Maps" on my iPhone.

Nokia Here Maps location where wrong for almost 2 blocks in that city! That was very confusing.

Apple maps was fine! Seems all maps have their problems.
    But not all map have this "bad press mafia"

• Reply 43 of 101

there is a whole region of europe - balkan states - that is completely uncovered by either maps or data. looking at the map it would seem that there's just a couple of highways there and nothing else. google maps are pretty detailed in the same region, both by maps and points of interests data.

which is a problem not only for apple maps application, but also for 3rd party apps that use mapkit. reverse geocoding doesn't work (it worked before, and even now works in ios < 6), embedded maps doesn't work. so, outside of us, western europe, japan, australia and some other isolated points of the world, apple maps are plain unusable. 

• Reply 44 of 101
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Flyover is very pretty but I've yet to find a practical use for it. Perhaps that's because I live in a city that's not very driver friendly. 

• Reply 45 of 101
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcorby23 View Post

there is a whole region of europe - balkan states - that is completely uncovered by either maps or data. looking at the map it would seem that there's just a couple of highways there and nothing else. google maps are pretty detailed in the same region, both by maps and points of interests data.

which is a problem not only for apple maps application, but also for 3rd party apps that use mapkit. reverse geocoding doesn't work (it worked before, and even now works in ios < 6), embedded maps doesn't work. so, outside of us, western europe, japan, australia and some other isolated points of the world, apple maps are plain unusable. 

It's useable in Asia. On par with Google map. About showing a couple of highways, do you know how to zoom? Could you show us the places?

• Reply 46 of 101

I just checked out the Hover Dam on my mac using Google maps. Well...  You can see for yourself. What's up with that bridge!

• Reply 47 of 101
    Buffalo doesn't seem to be enabled for me. Cleveland and Albany are.. I wonder if the changes take awhile to propagate?
  • Reply 48 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Flyover is very pretty but I've yet to find a practical use for it. Perhaps that's because I live in a city that's not very driver friendly. 

There are some neat and useful possibilities...

Here's an app that uses the Apple MapKit API to display the Stations on the Victoria Line of the London Underground:

Here it is with a route planned

And in 3D Map view

And in 3D Flyover view

So, you could be planning or riding the Underground and follow along in 3D Flyover of the Surface...  might decide to get off and explore a bit...

• Reply 49 of 101
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Sure, That's why Google is trying to copy it but can't. :)
    In the mean time, you sir are in denial.
    I prefer to zoom in with FlyOver in Apple Maps than to use StreetView.  I don't use Google Maps anymore on iOS.
    Once Apple Maps is available on OS X I will use it there as well instead of Google Maps.
    With so many Maps available nowadays, I think Apple Maps is very rich and yet has amazing potential.

In denial? Are you feeling ok today? I live in Hong Kong, Apple maps is useless here. In addition, street view is a must in finding locations in this densely packed city. Addresses are commonly building names, Apple Maps has no building names so address are impossible to find. I spend a lot of time in Australia, GM is far better there. I travel in the course of my work worldwide (aviation), i can barely ever use Apple maps unless I'm in the US or Canada.
    You just don't have the experience to comment with any authority.
  • Reply 50 of 101
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

One more thing - seriously, flyover in Modesto and Stockton? Really?

What's next? Flyover in Gary, Indiana? Compton, CA? Queens, NY? a garbage dump? LOL

Queens is probably not a good example for your sarcasm. With 2.25 Million people living there, its population is greater than most entire cities (in the US, only Los Angeles (3.8M), Chicago (2.7M) and Brooklyn (2.5M) have greater populations), and it's much easier to get lost in than Manhattan (1.7M).

• Reply 51 of 101
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    Aghrrrr. I would expect more from this site. Apple had no choice in the matter of dumping Google for its own turn-by-turn navigation system. Google held Apple hostage with an antiquated app for iOS, while they delivered state-of-the-art app on Android. If Apple had not broken away and delivered their own, arch rival Google would not have then capitulated and delivered what they should have 2 years ago.

As an Apple fan, the iOS app is just fine, thank you. And Google is out the search $$$.
  • Reply 52 of 101
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Seeing Modesto and Stockton on the list makes me wonder how they are assigning priority to Maps improvements.

I'm sure they start with where their users live based on AppleID info and/or iOS device usage.

• Reply 53 of 101
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

So, you could be planning or riding the Underground and follow along in 3D Flyover of the Surface...  might decide to get off and explore a bit...

That's very, very cool but still limited practical use. It's also not very helpful when travelling on the Victoria Line. The tunnels don't have wifi and the entire line is deep underground (so no mobile or GPS signal either).

• Reply 54 of 101
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wubbus View Post

Perhaps he/she means that the maps are blank not in terms of streets but business/POI data. That's largely been my experience. Apple Maps is decent for roads but for my purposes has been fairly useless in terms of finding businesses I look up. Others seem fine with it so clearly very dependent on user location and search habits.

I found that here in Germany even in small villages a lot of POIs popped up recently.

• Reply 55 of 101
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member

Big deal. It's neat, but not overly useful for most of us.

• Reply 56 of 101
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Strange that Minneapolis has Satellite flyover, but no 3D on the Standard View. Hmm, that also applies to Modesto, Stockton, hmm, many more. Probably goes online one after the other...
  • Reply 57 of 101
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Excellent explanation of why it is useful. The detractors that say there is no use for Flyover seem to forget there are occasions when you are not in your own neck of the woods. One thing I have noticed in US cities I go to on business or vacations is the number of places not yet listing themselves on the map. For example a great restaurant I happen to know is on a particular street has no food icon yet. Not sure how that works regarding getting more data onto the maps.

I also want this on OS X! Anyone listening there in Apple HQ?
  • Reply 58 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That's very, very cool but still limited practical use. It's also not very helpful when travelling on the Victoria Line. The tunnels don't have wifi and the entire line is deep underground (so no mobile or GPS signal either).

Build it and they will come...

I wouldn't be surprised if, before long, you will be able to download Apple Maps to your iDevice -- vector based maps are quite efficient.

I suspect that if there is a need/demand for WiFi in the undergrounds of the world -- that too will happen.  They could use the lat/lon of the stations & compute the location between stations.

• Reply 59 of 101
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    Flyover has no practical use at all and by the time it covers enough areas, the competition will be away ahead. Apple need to focus on the navigation accuracy. It has been ages since maps was launched and Marlborough, Wiltshire, England still appears as 'Ogbourne Saint Andrew', a village a few miles away. The navigation interface and voice clarity are great, but it's no good if the underlying data is useless! It's a bit like having a pretty but thick woman as your nagging passenger!
  • Reply 60 of 101
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Excellent explanation of why it is useful. The detractors that say there is no use for Flyover seem to forget there are occasions when you are not in your own neck of the woods.

The really funny thing is that many of the people who say that there's no need for flyover view insist that street view is absolutely critical and no one could possibly use a mapping program that doesn't offer street view.