Apple adds iOS Maps Flyover support, 3D buildings, turn-by-turn navigation in multiple cities

Comments

• Reply 61 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Strange that Minneapolis has Satellite flyover, but no 3D on the Standard View. Hmm, that also applies to Modesto, Stockton, hmm, many more. Probably goes online one after the other...

St. Louis Park (pop 48,000), a suburb of Minneapolis, has 3D Flyover...

Minneapolis downtown has an interesting feature called "Skywalks".  The 3rd floors of many buildings are interconnected with enclosed walkways (wide hallways).  These bridge downtown streets and connect the public area of the buildings.  

It is great!  You can stay at a hotel, take your morning constitutional, shop and walk to a business meeting without ever going outside == nice in winter and summer.

Someone creative will create routing directions & POIs for the Skywalks.

• Reply 62 of 101
    wubbuswubbus Posts: 70member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Where? The question is still valid.

Speaking only for myself, the northern Greater Toronto Area has been a real failure in my experiences with Apple Maps.  I absolutely have to use Google Maps for business info to get results (navigation is generally just fine with Apple Maps, though).  I would much much rather use Apple Maps if the data was decent, though.  

I've also had a handful of issues in Florida and Washington DC but haven't used it there long enough to really draw a solid conclusion.  

• Reply 63 of 101
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Minneapolis downtown has an interesting feature called "Skywalks".  The 3rd floors of many buildings are interconnected with enclosed walkways (wide hallways).  These bridge downtown streets and connect the public area of the buildings.  

It is great!  You can stay at a hotel, take your morning constitutional, shop and walk to a business meeting without ever going outside == nice in winter and summer.

I know, I was there, in 1993. Great people over there! I also saw a homeless walking down 5th Ave, singing Prince's Darling Nikki.

That would be nice. There's already a map for that, dontcha know? http://www.skywaymyway.com
  • Reply 64 of 101
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Some pretty jazzy trees being rendered in London, with pavements and roads leading up the trunks.

• Reply 65 of 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I know, I was there, in 1993. Great people over there! I also saw a homeless walking down 5th Ave, singing Prince's Darling Nikki.

Quote:

That would be nice. There's already a map for that, dontcha know? http://www.skywaymyway.com

LOL!  You write funny... Oops, I dasn't say that (I shan't do it again)...  I didn'tcha know about the map... Thanks for the link.    I grew up there until age 10.   Last time I was there was 1986... still a great place then.

• Reply 66 of 101
    Alright Tulsa!
  • Reply 67 of 101
    sigma7sigma7 Posts: 7member
    And how about Brazil? Ok, I already knew... :-(
  • Reply 68 of 101

3D Flyover is useful even where Apple has yet to map an area for 3D...

For example, the movie below shows a hotel where my late wife and I liked to stay.   

The purple pin at the top is a little grassy area where we would start our morning walks...

• Reply 69 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Flyover has no practical use at all…

Abject nonsense.

and by the time it covers enough areas, the competition will be away ahead.

No one else is doing interactive 3D mapping, so good luck with that.

Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

The urban myth about Street View on iOS continues... Street View was NEVER available on iOS... It was not 'lost' when Apple went to its own mapping device...

OFFICIAL STUPIDEST COMMENT OF THE THREAD AWARD WINNER.

Gonna leave it up so that people can see, but in the future this sort of dreck needs to be reported by people…

• Reply 70 of 101
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

The urban myth about Street View on iOS continues... Street View was NEVER available on iOS... It was not 'lost' when Apple went to its own mapping device...

OFFICIAL STUPIDEST COMMENT OF THE THREAD AWARD WINNER.

Gonna leave it up so that people can see, but in the future this sort of dreck needs to be reported by people…

• Reply 71 of 101
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

What they need to do is to reality check all the Yelp-sourced POIs and location data.  Or replace the Yelp location data entirely.

The problem with this is that Apple has secured multiple data sources including Acxiom, Factual and Localeze. Yelp only provides business reviews. Acxiom, Factual and Localeze are data aggregators and are considered the authoritative sources for business listings even more so than Google.

Wherever the POI data originally came from, they need to verify all of the location data associated with it.  What makes Apple Maps the butt of jokes is that it tends to drop the red pins hundreds of yards away from actual business locations, which is all but obvious in hybrid map view.  Given an actual address, Apple Maps seem to do OK, but given a business name and city, it's literally all over the map (no pun intended).  Eddy Cue needs to make it his top priority have the maps team verify all their business listings, and then reconcile those to their actual physical locations.

• Reply 72 of 101

Fly over? Wow. Crappy maps that look great... Just what we need....

• Reply 73 of 101
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member

Just had a look at the Golden gate bridge in 3D view - and it's got a pretty bad droop. Strange that it would be so bad and in Apple's back yard. 

• Reply 74 of 101
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

Just had a look at the Golden gate bridge in 3D view - and it's got a pretty bad droop. Strange that it would be so bad and in Apple's back yard. 

I checked this just now and it looks perfectly fine in 3D view for me.  And in 2D satellite view as well.

• Reply 75 of 101
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

... One thing I have noticed in US cities I go to on business or vacations is the number of places not yet listing themselves on the map. For example a great restaurant I happen to know is on a particular street has no food icon yet. ...

It should, however, be pointed out that Google Maps also does not list every single "POI" in existence, not to mention that some number of the ones it does show no longer exist at that location.

So, this is not a criticism that is unique to Apple Maps. This is a problem that all mapping software faces, and they all have their own problems with it.

• Reply 76 of 101
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    john.b wrote: »
    Wherever the POI data originally came from, they need to verify all of the location data associated with it.  What makes Apple Maps the butt of jokes is that it tends to drop the red pins hundreds of yards away from actual business locations, which is all but obvious in hybrid map view.  Given an actual address, Apple Maps seem to do OK, but given a business name and city, it's literally all over the map (no pun intended).  Eddy Cue needs to make it his top priority have the maps team verify all their business listings, and then reconcile those to their actual physical locations.

The irony of that statement is that it is very likely that the majority of the data is originally from.... Google. Google is a major contributor to Acxiom, Factual and Localeze. Acxiom and Localeze allow users to register directly however.
  • Reply 77 of 101
    pembrokepembroke Posts: 230member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I checked this just now and it looks perfectly fine in 3D view for me.  And in 2D satellite view as well.

I just had another look - about an hour after I previously saw it and it renders fine now. Hmmm. Wonder how it all works? Could the server have had trouble sending the data to my iPad earlier for some reason? 

• Reply 78 of 101

Apple Maps still has a lot of issues.  The business location markers around my neighborhood are riddled with errors -- place markers in the wrong locations, closed businesses, incorrect addresses, etc.  I've sent problem reports to Apple repeatedly over the last two months, and NOT A SINGLE ONE HAS BEEN CORRECTED.  The Flyover feature is cool, and the maps themselves load up faster and scale better than before.  But, even with these improvements, the Apple Maps remain less accurate (for business locations) and less useful (i.e., less detailed traffic maps, no Street View, and no transit directions). 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

The maps still says I live directly next to Parkway golf course in Fremont, a golf course which is actually about 2 miles up the street from me.

I live fairly close to both and neither are major cities. They're both small towns compared to the rest of the Bay Area. So it is odd they would pick those towns instead of higher populated areas like San Jose or Palo Alto (which is also small but is a busy lil town) or even Oakland.

Modesto and Stockton are both the population and economic centers for their own Metropolitan Statistical Areas.  The Modesto MSA has a population of 500k, while the Stockton MSA has a population of 700k. 

FYI, nearly all of Oakland and San Jose are already covered (and have been for at least the last couple of months), and Palo Alto has the downtown area and most of the major employment centers covered.  So, I don't know why you would think that Apple is including Modesto and Stockton at the expense of those other areas. 

• Reply 79 of 101
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Google Maps still has a lot of issues.  The business location markers around my neighborhood are riddled with errors -- place markers in the wrong locations, closed businesses, incorrect addresses, etc.  ...

There, I fixed it for you.

• Reply 80 of 101
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There, I fixed it for you.

Yeah, nice bit of selective editing there.  In my neighborhood, the Google Maps are more accurate than the Apple Maps, and it's not even close.  I started reporting these errors in my neighborhood to Apple more than two months ago.  I thought that given all the negative attention that Apple Maps has drawn, they would be motivated to correct these kinds of obvious mistakes as quickly as possible.  To date, nothing that I submitted has been corrected.  And then there remain the other issues that I cited.