Apple releases OS X 10.8.3 with Safari 6.0.3, new iTunes integration and bug fixes

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    haggar wrote: »
    Does this fix the Safari issue where if you search Google and then click on the links displayed in the results, the results show in the history as garbage?

That annoys me too. There are a couple of extensions that fix it, one is on the page you linked to here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?e6emvsl8acuo9jv

another one is:

http://pedrocc.com/safari

There are quite a few useful extensions. Duplicate tabs so you can open a copy of the page you are on, one to stop iTunes links loading iTunes, the User CSS one is great as you can hide entire ad sidebars, clickToFlash hides ads but also allows you to easily download Youtube videos.
  • Reply 82 of 98
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    haggar wrote: »
    Does this fix the Safari issue where if you search Google and then click on the links displayed in the results, the results show in the history as garbage?

http://ask.metafilter.com/201154/Google-results-arent-recorded-inSafari-history

And before people start blaming Google, note that other browsers don't have this issue.

I figured it was something I had setup in Safari that was causing that. Thanks.

There are also times when hyperlinks and buttons don't register on a page until the page ever so slightly then they will as they should. These quirks all began with 6.0 for me.
  • Reply 83 of 98
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Okay, I'm rather upset with 10.8.3 now. 10.8.4 needs to release YESTERDAY.

Safari recently stopped listing bookmarks in with your history. That was spectacular. It meant that I could mass-delete history entries without having to worry about protecting my bookmarks anymore (and, you know, having to do that is one of the stupider things imaginable when it comes to a browser). Safari 6.0.3 brought that back. I lost maybe a quarter of my bookmarks before I noticed. And thanks to iCloud syncing, I lost 'em everywhere! Yay!

And Boot Camp. FINALLY they released official Windows 8 drivers, so I thought, "All right; now I won't be forced to fully shut down my computer leaving Windows to keep the display resolution from reverting to 640x480." NOPE. Still has that problem. Though that might just be Windows. I'd hate to have to re-re-re-reinstall…

• Reply 84 of 98
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?e6emvsl8acuo9jv

another one is:

http://pedrocc.com/safari

one to stop iTunes links loading iTunes

Thanks for the link (MF link is broken though) I also don't like the loading of iTunes. Fine if it's already running, but just show me the webpage as I'm already in Safari, you know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Though that might just be Windows. I'd hate to have to re-re-re-reinstall…

that comes mandatory with Windows, no? You could image a perfect installation, but then have to re-re-redo it everytime you update the Windows install. Yeah, not funny

• Reply 85 of 98
    philboogie wrote: »
    Thanks for the link (MF link is broken though) I also don't like the loading of iTunes. Fine if it's already running, but just show me the webpage as I'm already in Safari, you know...

I couldn't get that link to work or find it with a quick Google search. I did find gDirectLinks which solved it without including a bunch of other features I don't want:

• Reply 86 of 98
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I wanted to thumb you up but got an error even though I'm on the mobile website right now
    {"status":"error","data":null,"message":"Reputation already added!"}
  • Reply 87 of 98

I see 10.83 broke Apache again.  With every successive Mountain Lion update I've had to edit and modify several files courtesy of this website:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/09/02/start-apache-web-server-mac-os-x/#comment-523655

However, it doesn't work under 10.83.

Every time I try to bring up my website it claims that permissions are denied so the only thing I can figure is that they somehow have changed the permissions of every file in my webserver directory.  That's something like 700 files.

• Reply 88 of 98
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Every time I try to bring up my website it claims that permissions are denied so the only thing I can figure is that they somehow have changed the permissions of every file in my webserver directory.  That's something like 700 files.

You can check what the permissions are but worst case it would have changed the root folder. It might have changed one of the Apache config files but it didn't for me. Where is your root directory and what have you configured in /etc/apache2/httpd.conf?
  • Reply 89 of 98
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

@ Mechanic,

You installed new processors but you are still at only 6GB RAM?

I never have really needed any more for video crunching which is what my machine does most of the time lol.  Now the error correcting ram for these machines is fairly expensive.  But I want to do a ram upgrade probably sometime in the near future if the price is right because im getting into a lot more photoshop work now with my son in college.

• Reply 90 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I hope you read the part where Anand burned out the CPU mobo the first time. Apple has used chips with no plastic outer shell for better heat transfer, and when the heatsinks are tightened all the way, the chips, and board, shorted out.

All Xeons have metal casings on the Woodcrest and Clovertowns.  The Clovertowns are an identical height and size match for the Woodcrests that were replaced and are built to socket LGA-771 height and size spec.  In other words on the outside they look identical down to the exact mm in size.  I just read through the story again though and they said that there upgrade worked without any trouble whatsoever.  They did warn people not to put LGA-775 xeons in  LGA-771 sockets because they will fit.  But will result in the wrong height for the heat sinks (as in processors not contacting the heat sinks when installed)  and because LGA-775 sockets have 4 more pins than LGA-771.

They also warn to make sure there correctly installed before pulling the clamp down to avoid bending pins.  

Needless to say there are literally hundreds if not thousands of people that have done this upgrade with no problems whatsoever.  My machine has been running this way crunching video for over a year 8 to 10 hours a day with not one issue at all.  

While I cant guarantee someone else's skills at swapping processors, my experience has been great with no problems at all.   AS WITH ALL WORK ON MICROELECTRONICS..  CAUTION WITH STATIC ELECTRICITY AND GROUNDING ONES SELF PROPERLY CANT BE STRESSED ENOUGH.   Grounding straps are cheap and will save you a lot of headache as well as careful placement of cpu pins when reinstalling them.

I would highly reccommend this upgrade to anyone that can use more cores and the processors are so cheap now that it makes good sense to get more use out of your machine.

Just for reference here is one of the original Woodcrest 3.0Ghz Xeon Dual Cores from my Mac Pro.  You can see it has a metal top.  The Clovertowns look identical.

Just one other note  Apple Uses Clovertown X5365's in the Mac Pro 2,1 the Second Gen Mac Pro the machine right after mine.  They also used the SLAED sSPEC of which there is only one design.  The Xeons I used are the SLAED sSPEC. The Clovertowns are all compatible though but there are 3 different sSPEC's  You just have to get two of the same sSPEC.

If you want more info on the correct Xeons that will work here is the intel Ark page that lets gives you every bit of info you need to know including socket sizes package heights ect. ect.

http://ark.intel.com/products/30702/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5365-8M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

• Reply 91 of 98
    mechanic wrote: »
    I never have really needed any more for video crunching which is what my machine does most of the time lol.  Now the error correcting ram for these machines is fairly expensive.  But I want to do a ram upgrade probably sometime in the near future if the price is right because im getting into a lot more photoshop work now with my son in college.

Am I wrong in thinking that Mac Pro RAM slots are designed for both ECC and non-ECC RAM?
  • Reply 92 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Am I wrong in thinking that Mac Pro RAM slots are designed for both ECC and non-ECC RAM?

No all Mac Pros Require EEC (error correcting) SDRAM

Screen captures from apples spec pages for the 2006 Mac Pro (mine)

And one from the current (Mid 2012) Mac Pro                                  

You can see that both require ECC error correcting ram.

• Reply 93 of 98

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Apple is making a lot of under the hood improvements/new features that demand newer hardware. You need 2010 processors (or newer) for airplay, there's no way around it, you need full 64 bit compatibility for OSX

Actually my 2006 Mac Pro will air play to any apple tv or device in my house with iTunes just not at an os level but I think that is more apple just implemented it in ML rather than my machine cant do it.  And it does Air Drop with a 16 dollar upgrade to the to a newer broadcom wireless card.   I do agree with your post that Mac os is doing a heck of a lot more now with unix mini programs know as back ground processes for all kinds of things and the newer processors have the advantage there.   The biggest advantage the new Mac Pros have over my 1,1 is the fact that my Mac Pro uses a separate Northbridge memory controller on the motherboard.  The new sandy bridge xeons and Ivy bridge xeons all have the memory controller integrated right into the Xeon.  This alone sped the machine up by almost 3 times.  Hence the reason for the motherboard change in the newer mac pros.  Even the core i series have the memory controller integrated into the processor which gives them a big advantage too.

• Reply 94 of 98
    well dont update for the time being. I did it and lost complete sound on my MBA. other people are complaining as well. this is not good Apple.
  • Reply 95 of 98
    well dont update for the time being. I did it and lost complete sound on my MBA. other people are complaining as well. this is not good Apple.

One person (or a few) having an issue with an update is not reasonable grounds for saying no one should update.
  • Reply 96 of 98
    sergerserger Posts: 3member

Pity has nothing to do with this or maybee...

A MACPRO 1.1 with two 64bits Xeon x5365 processors (8 x 3GHZ physical cores) is a very valuable and stable

machine and it's a PITY that APPLE does not make any efforts to support it. Very easy i can tell you that i am

running it with the stock 7300 Nvidia + a PC Radeon 6870 since 10.8.1 , 256GB SSDs, USB 3.0, Mirrored RAID,

16GB RAM and time machine... No way an iMac could be more efficient for me.

I NEVER had any problems with it and it's still top range regarding performance AND MORE IMPORTANTLY

for me LOW noise.

Even using Win 7 i run some high end games at a good framerate and i dont see why i would nor benefit from the latest OSX security enhancements and bug fixes because my machine enters it's 7s year ;=)

The only thing is that i need to boot from chameleon and remove some nvidia extensions to make it work

as a full 64 bits hackintosh !!! This setup took me some time, for sure, but i am not in Apple's code. An Apple engineer could have solved this in seconds...

I can just tell you that my next machines even if using OSX will not use Apple hardware anymore until they provide some real breaktrough. Now, I discovered how efficient hackintoshs are, tanks to Apple's lack of support for my 4000$ MACPRO 1.1. Ridiculous ! 

• Reply 97 of 98

Mine is running really fine thanks to Chameleon. Updated to SSDs, x5365 Xeons, 16GB Ram, and "stock" 6870 Radeon video.

Only need a helper card (GT120 or original 7300 if you accept to tweak a lkittle bit more).

This 64 bits setup has really NO stability or performance issues.

Thanks to Apple to help me discover Hackintoshes efficiency on their own hardware ;=) lol !!!

• Reply 98 of 98

No way to have a "real life" times 3 perf improvement !!! by moving the northbridge to the proc... This is marketing dream. I Tested it, let's say 10% ...