Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

Comments

• Reply 161 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

There is no Apple store where I live (Princeton NJ), so while it might be fucking simple, it takes a couple of fucking hours out of my fucking day. As for 1000 full charges, I never said anything about that, but merely that my battery is not working well. Are you suggesting all the batteries are perfect?

Sorry, just joined today, but I live outside Philly and I know they just opened one in the Willow Grove Mall. Not sure if this helps at all, can't wait to continue posting! image

• Reply 162 of 230
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I'm mystified by the lack of restraint shown by Samsung in both their phone and the presentation. Does anyone know if there is any regard given to the concept of simplicity in Korean culture? Without trafficking in stereotypes, can it be said that Koreans have a higher tolerance for complexity and detail, and less of a tradition of cutting down on clutter in their design traditions?

Some examples: India favors an abundance of detail in clothing, jewelry and decor, and it carries into other areas like their cuisine or their filmmaking. Japan is diametrically opposite in favor of simplicity. America (except recently for Apple) has a high tolerance for messiness.

What Samsung is doing reminds me of what Hyundai is doing recently in their car body designs: adding features and elements with little regard for coherence. Is this a cultural thing? Seems like Samsung has definitely jumped the shark on this one.
  • Reply 163 of 230
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I'm mystified by the lack of restraint shown by Samsung in both their phone and the presentation. Does anyone know if there is any regard given to the concept of simplicity in Korean culture?

Japan is diametrically opposite in favor of simplicity.

Hmm. That should tell you about Korea, then. They've always been big on copying the Japanese. Though they don't seem to be practicing it as of late.

• Reply 164 of 230
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member

Quote:

Have you ever tried watching a video on a larger screen. It is a MUCH better experience...

Yes, that's why watching videos on phones, or even tablets, of any size, is stupid. 

• Reply 165 of 230
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's pretentious of you to say "walk into an Apple store" when a great many people do not live near one.

Yeah but, the guy complaining lives 20 miles from a couple Apple Stores, Bridgewater and Edison.

• Reply 166 of 230
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Funny how the trolls come out of the woodwork like roaches for certain articles. It's not just Samsung articles either, they'll often come to pooh-pooh new Apple products.

General rule of thumb, the more there are the more likely their opinions will turn out not to be accurate.

Don't you just love their John C. Dvorak impersonations though?

• Reply 167 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:

Have you ever tried watching a video on a larger screen. It is a MUCH better experience...

Yes, that's why watching videos on phones, or even tablets, of any size, is stupid. 

You wouldn't say that if you were a parent with 3 kids in the backseat on a long drive through boring countryside...  I'm so bored... Are we there yet?

• Reply 168 of 230

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You wouldn't say that if you were a parent with 3 kids in the backseat on a long drive through boring countryside...  I'm so bored... Are we there yet?

We used to have a 12" CRT TV+VCR combo that could run off of a cigarette lighter plug. On our family vacations, we popped that sucker in the back seat and went to town.

Kids these days. image

• Reply 169 of 230
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Hmm. That should tell you about Korea, then. They've always been big on copying the Japanese. Though they don't seem to be practicing it as of late.

Maybe it's a matter of rising to their own level of accomplishment. It is truly amazing what they've been able to do with TVs, cars, cameras and phones in two or three decades. So now they may have come into a period of irrational exuberance, with no doctrine of restraint or simplicity to hold their designers in check.

America went through this in the 1950s with tailfins and chrome. They lost the TV industry to Sony because the Americans thought they were making elaborate living room furniture while the Japanese approach was making better screens.

Jobs, Ive and company have a huge advantage with their doctrine of simplicity, but the droidheads and the tech press have yet to recognize it. Instead they've convinced themselves that predictability and simplicity are "stale" and "boring."

Samsung is trying to bring the nightmare that was the 50s in America back. It makes me sad. I lived through that. As M3dik mentions, the appearance of the VW Bug was a huge relief at the time. They took over 10% of the market as I recall, because Detroit was doing a Samsung/Hyundai at the time. But if it was only that, 10% wasn't enough.

This is the main reason I can't stand to see Samsung poisoning the mobile phone market, and the tech press and the "analysts" sucking it up. Not to mention some notable posters here . . .
  • Reply 170 of 230
    Sometimes more is less.
  • Reply 171 of 230
    hmm888hmm888 Posts: 23member
    Many people want a bigger much bigger screen but an iPad mini is still too big. People, especially women, girls, who were avid Blackberry users have experienced euphoria with their Samsung Note or Galaxy 3. I think for THAT reason people will be making switch. And if Apple introduces a LARGER iPhone 5S or 6 this year, I for one will be pissed. I have the iPhone 5 and I had to succumb to the small screen of the 5 bcuz I could no longer tolerate the crappy OS of Android in my Galaxy 1.
  • Reply 172 of 230

Originally Posted by Hmm888 View Post

Many people want a bigger much bigger screen…

Really?

People, especially women, girls, who were avid Blackberry users have experienced euphoria with their Samsung Note or Galaxy 3.

Not gonna touch this one.

And if Apple introduces a LARGER iPhone 5S or 6 this year, I for one will be pissed.

Enjoy that false entitlement. I don't buy that they would, but even if they did there's no reason to be upset.

I have the iPhone 5 and I had to succumb to the small screen of the 5 bcuz I could no longer tolerate the crappy OS of Android in my Galaxy 1.

"Succumb", huh. Well, at least you get that Android is trash. It's a start!

• Reply 173 of 230
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

I'm disappointed in Samsung's choice of building materials but besides that I don't see why it's getting such bad publicity. It's the first 8 core mobile, 1080p rez 440PPI, 2GB RAM, etc. if the S4 is priced competitive then Samsung will defiantly have another successful model on their hands.

• Reply 174 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well, how are they going to be able to make, "Are we there yet?" jokes with their spouses when they're older if you don't let them have that experience now? Or learn to appreciate the countryside, if they never see it. Not having anything to do can be a good thing: you can't fulfill your dreams, if you never had a spare moment to have any.

• Reply 175 of 230

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm disappointed in Samsung's choice of building materials but besides that I don't see why it's getting such bad publicity. It's the first 8 core mobile, 1080p rez 440PPI, 2GB RAM, etc. if the S4 is priced competitive then Samsung will defiantly have another successful model on their hands.

Hopefully that's indicative of a change in the broader mindset that specs don't mean a flying frick if you don't have the experience to back them. 

• Reply 176 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hmm888 View Post

... People, especially women, girls, who were avid Blackberry users have experienced euphoria with their Samsung Note or Galaxy 3. ...

Just euphoria, no actual ecstasy? 

• Reply 177 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    relic wrote: »

It's disingenuous to say it has a PPI of 440 without noting it's PenTIle. Aren't the specs good enough on their own without having to resort to shady tactics?
  • Reply 178 of 230

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Aren't the specs good enough on their own without having to resort to shady tactics?

It's a company whose recent financial success is based on the wholesale theft of the design of hardware from another company while using software made by a third company whose UI/X is wholesale stolen from the second. 

"Shady tactics" is the toy that comes with the meal.

• Reply 179 of 230
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Why the HTC One (just curious...)

It has the same specs as the US model, CPU wise.

You want LTE, you get the quad core snapdragon.

The octal core is the 3G International.

• Reply 180 of 230
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbruinsma View Post

...resulted in measurable company losses.

Measurable in the negative, given that Apple just had their most successful quarter, ever.