Samsung Galaxy S4 'less refined' than Apple's iPhone 5, not seen as a game changer

Comments

• Reply 101 of 230
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Munster views the Galaxy S4 as comparable to Apple's own "S" models of the iPhone, such as the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4S. Both of those handsets were relatively minor hardware updates with the same design as their respective predecessors, the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4.

LOL at the "Galaxy S3S."

I wonder why Samsung didn't copy Apple's naming scheme too.

• Reply 102 of 230
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mausz View Post

"largely iterative", "evolutionary update"

while the s4 has the following changes

* body is smaller, despite a larger screen

* weight reduced

* screen is larger

* resolution is up to 1080p

* camera resolution up to 13mp

* memory increased to 2Gb

* faster cpu

* faster gpu

* newer wifi with ac support

* touchscreen has hover and glove support

* new sensors (temp/humidity)

* larger battery

How much needs to be changed to not call it 'largely iterative'

It's not revolutionary, and I do not except any revolutionary phones within the next year (flexible displays come to mind if any revolutionary new phones will be released)

Note : My next phone will be the HTC One

Why the HTC One (just curious...)

• Reply 103 of 230
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I would say when you're talking about a device that has to live in your hand and gets knocked around in pockets, bags, on tables, sat on, dropped, etc., I think it's completely reasonable (if not absolute) to conclude a plastic casing is less refined than a uni-body aluminum casing.
  • Reply 104 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I do a lot of traveling, and many times am away from any power source at all. For this reason I bought an extended battery case for my iPhone which doubles the battery life. I rarely get to the point of charging my phone at night where the extended battery hasn't taken over hours before. The only difference between that and carrying a spare battery is that I carry mine on the back of the phone itself. So even with an iPhone there are people who need longer battery life than the iPhone delivers. 

As far as memory cards, once you initially insert the card into the phone you rarely if ever remove it again. Why would you? You can transfer files via bluetooth, by email, by cloud services, or just by a USB cable to your computer. So I think that argument is pretty weak about carrying around a memory cards since you would likely only have one inside the phone and rarely if ever eject it again. How many iPhone owners, especially ones with just a 16GB version, wouldn't love the option of adding a 64GB card into their iPhone instead of trying to cull their photo, music, and video library. 

I have one of those battery cases as well (a mophie), but I really needed to get one, since my iPhone 5's battery life is starting to degrade quite noticeably (like that of its bigger brother -- a mid-2012 retina MBP). Since apple's batteries are not serviceable, this is a major pain in both cases.

• Reply 105 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I would say when you're talking about a device that has to live in your hand and gets knocked around in pockets, bags, on tables, sat on, dropped, etc., I think it's completely reasonable (if not absolute) to conclude a plastic casing is less refined than a uni-body aluminum casing.

Have you ever looked at the Lumia 920? It is polycarbonate (so plastic), but looks great, and you can throw it against the wall, with no noticeable effect. Samsung feels flimsier, but I don't know if it actually is (and it IS quite light for the size that it is).

• Reply 106 of 230

I don't like the protruding camera on the back of the Galaxy S4 and anticipate that it's going to be highly prone to scratches and more substantial damage.

But the real question is pricing. Neither AT&T nor Verizon have got it priced (or even available!) on their sites yet. Will the public be willing to pay $200 for a subsidized unit?  Or $650 for an unlocked handset?  Or even half that much?  We shall see.  :)

• Reply 107 of 230
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I have one of those battery cases as well (a mophie), but I really needed to get one, since my iPhone 5's battery life is starting to degrade quite noticeably (like that of its bigger brother -- a mid-2012 retina MBP). Since apple's batteries are not serviceable, this is a major pain in both cases.

Isn't the iPhone battery under one year warranty? 

• Reply 108 of 230
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy_mac_lover View Post

The slogan " life companion " - very stupid . Am I gonna use it 50 years later ? My wife ?

I expect more in the tone of "life coach" or somesuch. Especially given those lame one-act plays. 

• Reply 109 of 230
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I don't like the protruding camera on the back of the Galaxy S4 and anticipate that it's going to be highly prone to scratches and more substantial damage.

But the real question is pricing. Neither AT&T nor Verizon have got it priced (or even available!) on their sites yet. Will the public be willing to pay $200 for a subsidized unit?  Or $650 for an unlocked handset?  Or even half that much?  We shall see.  :)

Well know by June or July I guess...

• Reply 110 of 230
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Evidently, there was a huge crowd at Radio City for this event yesterday. However, does anyone expect that to have any correlation to sales when the device goes on sale? The market doesn't seen so excited about it relative to all the pre market into hype.

Joe
    Macs4newbies.com

What market? And how do you know?
  • Reply 111 of 230
    I bought my first iPhone in 2008 and I have been an avid proponent... I have read a great deal of comments on both sides of the fence. The reality for me though is simple, in 4 years there has been moderate to somewhat understated improvements in the iPhone. The ability to customize the experience is extremely limited. To this extent both Andriod and Windows phone allow the user to personalize their experience. While the Galaxy 3 to 4 may not be an evolutionary jump, to me, it is more exciting than the iPhone 4S to 5.

In addition, the iOS updates have inflicted a great deal of pain. Apple knowingly inflicted the pain and instead of allowing us to roll back to a working version, they forced us to wait for another update. Further contributing to the problem is that bugs in the software resulted in measurable company losses.

At the end it is a simple decision that will not be measured by specs alone. It will be influenced heavily by my confidence in Apple. That said, Apple has lost my confidence with the recent actions and the Galaxy IV will replace the iPhones in both my home and company.
  • Reply 112 of 230
    dvorosdvoros Posts: 1member
    Its a shame that Apple did not go from the 4s to the iPhone 5 with a 5 inch screen. This is the optimum size for smartphones and next fall, 2014, we will all have to watch Phil Schiller eat his shorts when he announces the iPhone 6 with a 5 inch screen. If Apple would only get off its high horse and jump ahead of the competition instead of continuing to fall behind and playing catch-up.
  • Reply 113 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dvoros wrote: »
    Its a shame that Apple did not go from the 4s to the iPhone 5 with a 5 inch screen. This is the optimum size for smartphones and next fall, 2014, we will all have to watch Phil Schiller eat his shorts when he announces the iPhone 6 with a 5 inch screen. If Apple would only get off its high horse and jump ahead of the competition instead of continuing to fall behind and playing catch-up.

It's optimal and yet very few smartphones selling today have a 5" display. Even the popular S III doesn't have a 5" display. So how is something so optimal so underutilized in the smartphone market?
  • Reply 114 of 230
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dvoros View Post

Its a shame that Apple did not go from the 4s to the iPhone 5 with a 5 inch screen.

Not really.

This is the optimum size for smartphones…

Not really.

If Apple would only get off its high horse and jump ahead of the competition instead of continuing to fall behind and playing catch-up.

Why do you people exist?

Originally Posted by tbruinsma View Post

The reality for me though is simple, in 4 years there has been moderate to somewhat understated improvements in the iPhone.

Your reality is what reality calls fantasy.

The ability to customize the experience is extremely limited.

That's the idea, I think. Apple knows a little better than each individual person how HCI works. Hideous themes, stupid reorganization, and blurring the lines between functionality are all welcome in the jailbreak world, if you're so inclined.

In addition, the iOS updates have inflicted a great deal of pain. Apple knowingly inflicted the pain and instead of allowing us to roll back to a working version, they forced us to wait for another update.

What update is "broken"? What "pain" could possibly have been Apple's fault, given that YOU have to do the update?

Further contributing to the problem is that bugs in the software resulted in measurable company losses.

What "bugs", what "losses"… is there even a point to question your FUD?

At the end it is a simple decision that will not be measured by specs alone.

Which is why the iPhone stays on top, despite Android spec-whoring.

That said, Apple has lost my confidence with the recent actions and the Galaxy IV will replace the iPhones in both my home and company.

Could you tell us what company so we know not to do business with it? I, at least, don't want my information stored on a platform that unsafe.

• Reply 115 of 230
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

So much animosity and hate. I own an iPhone 5, but I have no ill will towards Samsung or the Galaxy S IV. I'm sure it's a nice enough device and I'm sure millions will buy it. Not everyone wants an iPhone.  I applaud competition and variety in the marketplace. 

It just pains me to read grown people using words like stupid and dumb, and just in general bashing something that is simply "different" from what we use. Grow up!

• Reply 116 of 230
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    So much animosity and hate. I own an iPhone 5, but I have no ill will towards Samsung or the Galaxy S IV. I'm sure it's a nice enough device and I'm sure millions will buy it. Not everyone wants an iPhone.  I applaud competition and variety in the marketplace. 

It just pains me to read grown people using words like stupid and dumb, and just in general bashing something that is simply "different" from what we use. Grow up!

Hear hear
  • Reply 117 of 230
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mausz wrote: »
    "largely iterative", "evolutionary update"

while the s4 has the following changes

* body is smaller, despite a larger screen
    * weight reduced
    * screen is larger
    * resolution is up to 1080p
    * camera resolution up to 13mp
    * memory increased to 2Gb
    * faster cpu
    * faster gpu
    * newer wifi with ac support
    * touchscreen has hover and glove support
    * new sensors (temp/humidity)
    * larger battery

How much needs to be changed to not call it 'largely iterative'

I don't know, but when the iPhone 4S came out, virtually every single component in the device was new except for the case design - and all the whiners insisted that it was only a minor tweak.

BTW, what's the point of 441 pixels per inch? The iPhone at 326 is retina - which means that you can't distinguish individual pixels. With a larger screen, the Galaxy 4 is likely to be held even further from your face, so even 326 pixels per inch isn't necessary. So they have twice as many pixels as they need (which will affect battery life) and will add no value to the consumer. Just another example of 'specs over intelligent design'.
  • Reply 118 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Isn't the iPhone battery under one year warranty? 

Maybe, but replacing it means that I will be phoneless for a while, so not great :(

• Reply 119 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I agree with you, but unfortunately people like religion, and (more incomprehensibly yet) like worshipping disposable gadgets.

• Reply 120 of 230
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    igriv wrote: »
    Maybe, but replacing it means that I will be phoneless for a while, so not great :(

Where did you get that idea? You walk into an Apple Store and you get a new phone. It's pretty fucking simple, but consider the chances that you have a bad battery because doing 1000 full charges that keep the device from being 80% of the original mAh within 365 days is highly unlikely.