Samsung design chief talks plastic and software, says future is in devices with 'souls'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 219
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

...the smooth edges and surface contours are obviously the result of extensive ergonomic research and development

Extensive ergonomic research and development for the LAST model...

• Reply 22 of 219
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"But now, we're thinking about: how do you create a soul for a device."

Samsung's very next iPhone clone could have more soul.  And all it would take is three easy steps in 1 year, 2 years,

and 3 years or so, to first cover up then totally replace the soulless, artificial Android monstrosity that Samsung

depends on at the moment.

Step 1: develop Sense so it completely covers up any soulless generic Android left visible.

This will complete the unique Samsung look-and-feel that will distance the brand from any other Android handset makers.

It will make whatever generic, lifeless Google "X Phone" or Motorola RAZR Google dumps on the market look bad.

(Realistically, Motoroogle is the only other non-whitebox-Chinese Android hardware manufacturer that will be around in 2 years.) 

Step 2: remove Google's soulless, ad-revenue-hoarding "profit layer," and create a "Samsung fork" of Android.

This fork will serve as a stable base for Samsung's continuing development of its look-and-feel (see Step 1.)

No need to chase oddball features and random API changes that Google throws in every year.  No need to copy-and-paste all that

proprietary Samsung code into the generic Android release every year and struggle to get it all to compile.  Much easier to

optimize the "Samsung fork" for Samsung's specific hardware.  Samsung will gain more control over its destiny, until...

Step 3: replace what's left of Android with Tizen - a more modern, open, and soulful mobile OS.

Samsung and Intel are on the Technical Steering Committee of Tizen.  Samsung will finally control its own post-PC destiny, since it

will be able to dictate OS features and long-term strategies.  Neither of which it can do while it still relies on an OS from Google,

with its own Motorola hardware division ($12.5 billion in the hole) and its orthogonal business model (96% of revenue from ads, of course.)

Switching from Android to Tizen would be transparent to Samsung's users.  Tizen can run Android apps via 

OpenMobile's Application Compatibility Layer.  They'd buy a new Samsung Galaxy 7, it would use a different app store,

but all their old apps would still work.

There.  Long, hard work, for sure.  But how much is a soul worth?

• Reply 23 of 219
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

That's not what he said. So your distinction is too a false separation.

Well that's my interpretation of what he said. If someone asks you about X and you reply "It's less about X and more about Y," I think one valid interpretation of that is you regard X and Y as somewhat separate. Otherwise you would say something like "X is part of it, but..."

• Reply 24 of 219
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Samsung Design America head Dennis Miloseski, speaking at Engadget's Expand conference, played down the importance of materials in handset design, saying that the future of mobile is in creating experiences.

I'm all for "experiences."  But what I don't understand is why he creates this false dichotomy.  He acts as though it's either the "experience" or the look & feel of the actual object, but that they cannot work on both.  Why not?

• Reply 25 of 219
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I see your video and raise you this…

Really? Short Circuit? I raise you the robot from Rocky IV sir.

• Reply 26 of 219
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

This response actually revealed Samsung failed with the S4.  S4 is packed with a lot of gimmick  softwares.  The media seemed stupid or being bought by Samsung that they all forgot to ask a very important quest.  Why these softwares can not be run on S3?  

• Reply 27 of 219
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Samsung's very next iPhone clone could have more soul.  And all it would take is three easy steps in 1 year, 2 years,
    and 3 years or so, to first cover up then totally replace the soulless, artificial Android monstrosity that Samsung

Step 1: develop Sense so it completely covers up any soulless generic Android left visible.
    This will complete the unique Samsung look-and-feel that will distance the brand from any other Android handset makers.
    It will make whatever generic, lifeless Google "X Phone" or Motorola RAZR Google dumps on the market look bad.
    (Realistically, Motoroogle is the only other non-whitebox-Chinese Android hardware manufacturer that will be around in 2 years.) 

Step 2: remove Google's soulless, ad-revenue-hoarding "profit layer," and create a "Samsung fork" of Android.
    This fork will serve as a stable base for Samsung's continuing development of its look-and-feel (see Step 1.)
    No need to chase oddball features and random API changes that Google throws in every year.  No need to copy-and-paste all that
    proprietary Samsung code into the generic Android release every year and struggle to get it all to compile.  Much easier to
    optimize the "Samsung fork" for Samsung's specific hardware.  Samsung will gain more control over its destiny, until...

Step 3: replace what's left of Android with Tizen - a more modern, open, and soulful mobile OS.
    Samsung and Intel are on the Technical Steering Committee of Tizen.  Samsung will finally control its own post-PC destiny, since it
    will be able to dictate OS features and long-term strategies.  Neither of which it can do while it still relies on an OS from Google,
    with its own Motorola hardware division ($12.5 billion in the hole) and its orthogonal business model (96% of revenue from ads, of course.)

Switching from Android to Tizen would be transparent to Samsung's users.  Tizen can run Android apps via 
    <span style="font-family:sans-serif;line-height:19px;">OpenMobile's Application Compatibility Layer.  They'd buy a new Samsung Galaxy 7, it would use a different app store,</span>

<span style="font-family:sans-serif;line-height:19px;">but all their old apps would still work.</span>

<span style="font-family:sans-serif;line-height:19px;">There.  Long, hard work, for sure.  But how much is a soul worth?</span>

<span style="font-family:sans-serif;line-height:19px;">.</span>

Yep, that seems to be their agenda.

Will this matter to Google that much? The majority of Google's mobile revenues come from iOS, no?
  • Reply 28 of 219
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Function should always dictate form and in the case (quite literally) of Samsung's Galaxy series of devices, the use of Polycarbonate allows for devices that are lightweight, impact resistant, durable and more efficient to manufacture.

As for the overall design/shape of the devices, the smooth edges and surface contours are obviously the result of extensive ergonomic research and development, as when compared to nearly all competing devices, they tend to be far more comfortable to hold/use for extended periods of time (such as when reading/watching videos).

Anyway... All the moaning/naysaying regarding the design of the Galaxy S4 is just more of the same rhetoric that greeted the Galaxy S3... a device that went on the sell in the 10's of millions, just as the Galaxy S4 will do.

But the S4 - and S3 for that matter - weigh more than the iPhone 5.  And since when is plastic more "durable" than aluminum?  Didn't you see all the drop tests when the 5 came out?  

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/21/iphone-5-vs-samsung-galaxy-s3-drop-test/

And all the "moaning/naysaying" about Samsung?  Are you living in the same world as I am?  Have you seen the complete BS about Apple trotted out by "reputable" sources like WSJ and Forbes lately? 

I'll give you "more efficient to manufacture," letting Samsung charge less for their cheap-o devices to the carriers and the idiots in the Verizon store to push the Samsung phone over the iPhone.  But it still must really irritate you that the iPhone consistently outsells the Galaxy quarter after quarter.  

• Reply 29 of 219
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    I keep hearing that iOS is the same ol boring GUI that Android users spout, but then I look at these Android products and can't help but notice they have the fugliest icons I've ever seen and it reminds me of some cheap electronic toy that's made by Milton Bradley seen at Toy's R Us.

• Reply 30 of 219
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    drblank wrote: »
    I keep hearing that iOS is the same ol boring GUI that Android users spout, but then I look at these Android products and can't help but notice they have the fugliest icons I've ever seen and it reminds me of some cheap electronic toy that's made by Milton Bradley seen at Toy's R Us.

it's simply not true. Just look at that iOS 1.0 could do compared to iOS 6.x. It's evolved tremendously YoY.

What these detractors are really trying to say is that iOS isn't radically different in the way it works YoY. It's not, nor should it be. There is a reason why the major vendors using Android are putting their unique skins on Android and trying to make them radical, they are trying to attract users and then keep them by making them the only UI they understand.

Apple simply doesn't have to play those games, and because they designed the UI and UX so well before they release version 1.0 they get the benefit of simply being able to build upon a solid foundation year-after-year. At some point they will likely conceive of a better way to interact with the device and make radical changes, not unlike how they switched to the mouse in the 80's or the trackpad on notebooks, but it wouldn't the "well lets try this and see if it works" methodology that we see with so many other vendors trying to catch up with Apple today.
  • Reply 32 of 219
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    daharder wrote: »
    Function should always dictate form and in the case (quite literally) of Samsung's Galaxy series of devices, the use of Polycarbonate allows for devices that are lightweight, impact resistant, durable and more efficient to manufacture.

As for the overall design/shape of the devices, the smooth edges and surface contours are obviously the result of extensive ergonomic research and development, as when compared to nearly all competing devices, they tend to be far more comfortable to hold/use for extended periods of time (such as when reading/watching videos).

Anyway... All the moaning/naysaying regarding the design of the Galaxy S4 is just more of the same rhetoric that greeted the Galaxy S3... a device that went on the sell in the 10's of millions, just as the Galaxy S4 will do.
    Tens of millions? Citations please. Samdung don't even release numbers, and u confuse sold for shipped.
    Polycarbonate is a plastic, we all told you that in a previous thread.
    So you now know all about plastic manufacturing? More efficient to manufacture, what do you mean by this?
    Plastics have been around for a long time, me thinks that their manufacturing process has been fine tuned to its max.
    It's pretty much of a yawn device, an almost identical copy of its predecessor, but has 8 cores to minimise the inherent lag that android devices are infamous for.
    So rounded corners are a new concept too.
  • Reply 33 of 219
    hmm wrote: »
    Is there a successor to Jelly Bean? I'm not aware of one, but I don't follow it closely. A quick Google search didn't bring anything up.
    Something called along the lines of green slime pie
    Doesn't matter as this plastic fantastic won't see an update.
  • Reply 34 of 219
    lkrupp wrote: »
    You think it's bad here and you want a new MacRumors type site? Have you been to MacRumors lately? It's absolutely infested with Samsung fans, iHaters, and Android sycophants. The editor-in-chief of MacWorld, Chris Breen, has been touting Andy Ihnatko's screed about how superior the GS3 is to the iPhone and why he switched to Android. In the discussion forums Breen is belittling users who complain about the pro-Samsung crap contaminating MacWorld. Even here on AppleInsider, suddenly, strong Apple supporters are muzzled while haters like DaHarder are allowed to post their bile without being challenged.

The big question in my mind is why the management of these now so-called Apple centric sites have allowed the Apple haters to become the majority and take over the site? We can't read a single positive article about Apple or its products without drenched in the vomit of the haters. 

I wonder what AI management will do when all the Apple users are gone? 
    I agree. It's truly pathetic when mods take the side of known trolls like GG and KD.
    I have accused these two of being paid shrills yet nothing is done, I am myself taken out to the firing range and TS points a loaded gun to my head to stop me making waves. Be a good boy and behave. Sigh.
    To TS I'm using a metaphor but I think you will agree with me on its context. I don't accuse you of threatening my life though.
  • Reply 35 of 219
    gtr wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">The heading for this story should be "Samsung does a 4S with the S4", and even that's insulting for the 4S.</span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">"The South Korean electronics conglomerate's Galaxy S4 debuted to </span>
    <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/15/samsung-galaxy-s4-less-refined-than-apples-iphone-5-not-seen-as-a-game-changer" id="user_yui_3_7_3_1_1363490082474_776" style="border:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;" target="_blank" name="user_yui_3_7_3_1_1363490082474_776">something of a yawn</a>
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;"> from tech commentators"</span>

Not everywhere.

Check out this absolute gushing review from a small-city journalist here in Australia:

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/mobiles/hands-on-samsung-galaxy-s4-20130315-2g539.html

Pay particular attention to the last sentence:

<span style="font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;line-height:17px;">"Jenneth Orantia attended Samsung Unpacked 2013 in New York as a guest of Samsung Australia."</span>

That's the difference between Samsung and Apple reviews. Samsung has to pay the bills to get you to theirs (which then leads to this kind of thing: http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/3028/samsung-power-corruption-and-lies/ ) whereas folks will pay through the nose to be at an Apple event.

I also love the focus on Samsung using polycarbonate plastic because that can't afford/source the metal materials used by Apple. <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">Miloseski says </span>
    "H<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">ow do you create a soul for a device?"</span>

<span style="line-height:18px;">Probably not with plastic, I'm thinking...</span>
    Touché. Plastic is just cheap, sure it has good properties in absorbing shock and its durable but its just so damn ugly to look at. It's like being stuck with an ugly wife when there are so many gorgeous girls out there.
    Sure the wife will cook and clean etc., but deep down you long for a babe.
    That's why I have an iPhone and a babe as my wife.
    Me thinks daharder has an ugly partner as he loves plastic.
  • Reply 36 of 219
    Talk about your Hitchcockian emotional overloads… *sniff*

Over the top vociferousness and equal parts vitriol and hatred aren't the answer to trolling. Unfortunately, we're seeing an increase in that as of late. 
    Because sir, you allow it
  • Reply 37 of 219
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's funny, when the iPhone 4 was just rumoured in the leaks from Gizmodo you were misogynistically wanting that design to be real as you pejoratively claimed that their beveled, polycarbonate iPhone 3G/3Gs designs were too effeminate. Now you not only long for those curves and soft feel of plastic but also that large protruding nipple of the camera lens on the S IV. One might think you've actually stopped being sexist but I think you've just tailored your argument to hate on Apple regardless of what they do.
    Well caught, let him try and slither out of this.
    One may use the nipple to suckle on perhaps, and added bonus in owning this plastic fantastic.
  • Reply 38 of 219
    sockrolid wrote: »

<span style="font-family:sans-serif;line-height:19px;">OpenMobile's Application Compatibility Layer.  They'd buy a new Samsung Galaxy 7, it would use a different app store,</span>

<span style="font-family:sans-serif;line-height:19px;">but all their old apps would still work.</span>

<span style="font-family:sans-serif;line-height:19px;">There.  Long, hard work, for sure.  But how much is a soul worth?</span>

<span style="font-family:sans-serif;line-height:19px;">.</span>
    Definitely on the cards.
    The house of android will collapse like a wooden shack sitting on top of a swamp.
    When that day comes I will be happy oh so happy.
    Because by then the PC business will be much smaller and the revenue to google will have dried up, and it will be in serious trouble.
  • Reply 39 of 219
    tzeshan wrote: »
    This response actually revealed Samsung failed with the S4.  S4 is packed with a lot of gimmick  softwares.  The media seemed stupid or being bought by Samsung that they all forgot to ask a very important quest.  Why these softwares can not be run on S3?  
    No that question can only be asked to Apple. The trolls infesting this site constantly tout this as an inherent flaw with Apple, and something done on purpose, without understanding shit about technology.
    Sometime I think these trolls are people like hair dressers, accountants and hole diggers, minimal at best knowledge of technology, engineering, design and programming and UI design to name just some.
    I mean no disrespect to them but they are simply overreaching and most times just spew what the idiotic pun dents spew out each and every day. The next person that has no background in the disciplines required to make such a device like an iPad and says its a toy will be kicked out of my house.
  • Reply 40 of 219
    drblank wrote: »
    Like the Fisher Price fonts that windows uses.