Adobe CTO Kevin Lynch reportedly leaving company for Apple [ux2]

Comments

• Reply 20 of 50
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

and he is an advocate of Flash, one of the worst plug-ins ever made.  

I sort of agree with you on the plug-in issue. The fact that you need a plug-in at all is already an admission of failure. I really like Flash though. As a multimedia tool like Director and Authorware that came before it, you can construct really compelling content. It is sort of like FCP with some After Effects, along with a little interactivity thrown in and great support for scalable vectors. Very powerful environment, but perhaps too powerful and wild to unleash on the Internet. I'm working right now on some Flash trade show presentations that will run on vertically mounted monitors. In my opinion there is no other application that can even come close to matching Flash in terms of sophistication and flexibility of design and animation.

• Reply 22 of 50
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

The code base for Adobe's products is a many year's old nightmare using ancient technology.  A lot of their UI is written in Flash for cripes sake.  

If Apple wanted to buy something like that they would do better to buy Pixelmator than Photoshop.  Adobe's stuff would have to be re-written from the ground up.  Their employees are not worth anything either.  

That's such wrong-headed thinking that it's bewildering. Without knowing most (any?) of them, you can arrive at the conclusion that they aren't worth anything? Wow!

Probably, you might argue that because their products suck (in your opinion, which has a spotty record at best), the developers must suck too. Does that mean all engineers who have ever worked on Windows are worthless? What about iCloud? What about Mobile Me?

I realize you know shit about software development and technology. But you are not allowed to use that as an excuse here. In general, it is pretty stupid to paint an entire company of people with the brush that you use on the product itself.

• Reply 23 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I've seen this guy talk a few times. Never liked him. Strange hire for Apple.

I wish Apple bought more/any small iOS dev companies. They should have rehired Brichter ages ago and given him lead design of iOS under Ive. They should buy 53, rebrand Paper and let that team work alone on their next big app. They should have bought Instagram. Chump change for Apple and it would have given them the social footprint they need. They should have bought Twitter 2 years ago. The rumour is Twitter wouldn't sell, but my gut says they'd sell to Apple if Apple really wanted them. Twitter is an Apple-style social network, and it's falling apart because Twitter doesn't make money from hardware. Apple could clean Twitter up, improve the apps and the platform by 10 and stick an iAd every so often in the timeline of clients on all other platforms, but keep iOS and Mac Twitter timelines clean. They should have bought PushPopPress right when they launched their first app and built iBook Author far sooner and included a magazine and newspaper platform, so people would have a consistent, simple, intuitive and reliable way for reading textbooks, newspapers and magazines without the chrome, just like in real life. And make Newsstand exclusive to these things. So if you're in print and wish to have access to the huge iOS marketplace you'd have no choice to use Apple's free tools, which means the user wins.

THAT would be a good use for Apple's cash:

social networking ?

iOS design ?

Better platform apps ?

Best platform by far for reading textbooks, magazines and newspapers ?

Checkmate.

• Reply 24 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So if you're in print and wish to have access to the huge iOS marketplace you'd have no choice to use Apple's free tools, which means the user wins.

Right because proprietary formats have always been a better solution than cross platform compatibility. In some applications it is unavoidable but when propriety is baked in as a means of a lock in, users don't win and neither do publishers. Expanding eBook specifications much like they are doing with HTML5 and CSS3 seems like a much more reasonable approach to me. Besides iBooks Author, although powerful has a lot of issues from a content development and delivery standpoint. The files are just too big and it is difficult to collaborate as a team because the files are encapsulated instead of being sectioned or compartmentalized which would enable them to  be joined together at a later time.

• Reply 25 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Or you'd rather have like one security patch a decade?

Well, Tuesdays are already taken.
    gazoobee wrote: »
    If Apple wanted to buy something like that they would do better to buy Pixelmator than Photoshop.  Adobe's stuff would have to be re-written from the ground up.  Their employees are not worth anything either.  

Hmm, difficult to tell why you think their employees aren't worth anything. Many times Apple buys a company because of the talent their employees possess, not because the company they work for have a great and working product.
    [
    Yes, buy Adobe and merge Final Cut Pro 7 and Premiere Pro into one great pro editing app then Final Cut X can remain for the amateurs it was designed for.

Comes across as an amateurish remark.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Software does tend to stabilise and doesn't require the constant addition of features and that has mostly happened to the Adobe apps, Office apps etc but the major revisions on Apple software just let you know there's no chance of an EOL decision. Aperture is at least getting plenty of minor updates that people don't have to buy so that's probably safe but Apple taking over control of the CS Suite could be more damaging than beneficial.

Wow, what an excellent statement!
  • Reply 27 of 50
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I agree with the first sentence. But as for Adobe not being run by engineers, what about their CEO? If you are going to spout off about how a company is run, at least do some research into the background of the very top decision maker.

Oh man I missed that one. Thanks. I read previously that he was an MBA but missed the other parts of his education. It still does not make up for the hubris expressed by jerk comments like that first one and the one quoted below here. There's too much of a tendency to treat the company and its employees like one inseparable entity. In this case a few people don't like the direction of Adobe, so they assume everyone attached to be unintelligent, unimaginative, or whatever else.

Quote:

The code base for Adobe's products is a many year's old nightmare using ancient technology.  A lot of their UI is written in Flash for cripes sake.  

There are some implementations of various things that I dislike, but their engineers are sometimes vocal on their blog as to why things are or are not supported and the decisions made on what features could be included based on various schedules. Regarding the bolded portion, don't be a jerk. In case anyone doesn't recognize it, the incredibly dated term was intentional. The arrogant attitude that everyone at Apple is automatically superior to anyone at Adobe is annoying and myopic.

• Reply 28 of 50
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

The heading for this article would have been considerably more amusing if they had referred to Lynch as "the new Adobe Plug-in at Apple".

Does this mean all future Apple software boot-times will automatically be extended to at least twenty seconds now?

Loading fonts...

• Reply 29 of 50
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Before everyone pans the hire, i like to remind you that Jony Ive started working at Apple in 1992 and lived through the dark period. They say a change of scenery can be beneficial.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Before everyone pans the hire, i like to remind you that Jony Ive started working at Apple in 1992 and lived through the dark period. They say a change of scenery can be beneficial.

I get your point but not the analogy. Jony Ive didn't switch company. But, like I said, I get your point.

• Reply 31 of 50
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Oh man I missed that one. Thanks. I read previously that he was an MBA but missed the other parts of his education. It still does not make up for the hubris expressed by jerk comments like that first one and the one quoted below here. There's too much of a tendency to treat the company and its employees like one inseparable entity. In this case a few people don't like the direction of Adobe, so they assume everyone attached to be unintelligent, unimaginative, or whatever else.

Kudos to you for having the humility to admit your omission - a rarity here. And I apologize for the unnecessarily sarcastic way of making the point.

• Reply 32 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

The heading for this article would have been considerably more amusing if they had referred to Lynch as "the new Adobe Plug-in at Apple".

Now that's funny.

• Reply 33 of 50

Don't know why a software dude would report to Mansfield. But Lynch could fill a serious void - There is no man leading or championing apps at Apple. While Federighi is in charge of Mac OS and iOS, Apple could use someone to lead development of apps such as iPhoto, iMovie, Aperture, and perhaps even the iWork suite. In this role, Lynch should be reporting to Federighi. But he is not. So, perhaps I am wrong. Or perhaps this is a condition of Lynch's hiring - he doesn't want to be the obvious 2nd banana in software.

• Reply 34 of 50
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    It is unclear what position Lynch will take at Apple
    Looks like vice-CTO, if I am still able to read the article clearly.
  • Reply 35 of 50

Quote:

Don't know why a software dude would report to Mansfield. But Lynch could fill a serious void - There is no man leading or championing apps at Apple. While Federighi is in charge of Mac OS and iOS, Apple could use someone to lead development of apps such as iPhoto, iMovie, Aperture, and perhaps even the iWork suite. In this role, Lynch should be reporting to Federighi. But he is not. So, perhaps I am wrong. Or perhaps this is a condition of Lynch's hiring - he doesn't want to be the obvious 2nd banana in software.

I thought a natural fit would have been on iCloud as his latest project at Adobe was implementing Creative Cloud. Perhaps he needs to work in an unrelated department for a certain time frame as part of the contractual conditions that he would not serve in a conflicting role for a competitor or transfer any applicable technology to that competitor to comply with his NDAs with Adobe.

• Reply 36 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

OK, that's pretty funny stuff.

• Reply 37 of 50
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

I'm still curious to know exactly what Mansfield's team will be doing at Apple.  This guy doesn't seem like he's experienced with silicon or wireless which is what I thought Mansfield was working on.

• Reply 38 of 50
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Browett 2.0
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Adobe likes its CTOs the way it likes its eggs: poached.
  • Reply 40 of 50
    hmm wrote: »

Did we really need to start this off with condescension?

Excellent comment, Hmm!

I'm so tired of the snarky posts.

In the past, I've put it down to clumsy attempts at humor.

But I'm very close to giving up on AI and just reading my Macworld magazine when it comes in the mail, watching the Keynotes and listening to the Macworld podcasts!!

Best