Apple's iCloud is most-used cloud service in the US, beating Dropbox & Amazon

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

I was pleasantly surprised when I replaced a failed device and all my contacts, bookmarks and calendars "magically" appeared on the new device. I was happy and impressed. I've never had a problem with that aspect of it.

I also really like going into the iTunes store and finding everything I've ever purchased sitting there available to download onto whatever device I happen to be using. Very cool.

I'm freaked out by the whole idea of iCloud file storage though. For an example of how Apple handles file management if left to its own devices, look at iMovie. I have never encountered a software product that made managing content more difficult and less intuitive. Even iTunes, a mature product in a mature category with lots of accepted standards for naming conventions and metadata management, if allowed to "manage" the library, insists on doing things in a way that makes it more difficult to find a particular file in, ironically, Finder.

Given those examples, I get squirrely when Apple says "Don't worry, WE know where your files are, even if YOU don't." Today I used Pages on my iPhone so I could type while on the subway. That's not the final document though, that's just the text for a web page. How do I get it off the cloud and import it into an authoring app? Or bring the Pages document with formatting into InDesign as part of a larger project? I'm sure there are workarounds, but why do we need them? Why can't we have a visible file system like we do on the Mac?

As long as the solution to storage and device distribution ties a file to an app and obscures its location/hierarchy, it reduces its usefulness for every aspect of file management except stupid-proofing.

Anyway, I'm not anti-iCloud -- I flat out LOVE certain aspects of it -- I just don't like the idea of letting someone else, maybe even particularly Apple, decide how my files should be organized.

• Reply 62 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Then switch, get stuff done with your tools, lead a more satisfying life as a mature person, and leave us alone.

May I respectfully request that you please not cast out the blasphemer who dares speak ill of the Holy Company? If you prefer not to read criticism or complaint, may I humbly ask that you skip over such posts but let them continue to exist for those who find benefit in them? In the case of this particular poster, he wasn't hating on Apple, he was describing what he doesn't like and where he's had trouble. I like to read comments like that to see how/when/if my experience is similar to others or unique to me.

• Reply 63 of 90
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Someone needs to perform a study rather than bloggers making random comments about the "failures" of iCloud. There are just far too many articles lambasting iCloud but all these articles are simply a retelling of the same story over and over and over again. In fact, I will provide a real evaluation of iCloud myself.

Launch
    October 12, 2011

Time in Service
    526 (not including today)
    75.14 weeks
    12,624 hours
    757,440 minutes

Users
    250 million (reported on January 23, 2013)
    300 billion messages (28,000 messages per second)
    70 million Photo Streams

Services Provided
    Account & Sign In
    Back to My Mac
    Backup
    Bookmarks & iCloud Tabs
    Calendars
    Contacts
    Documents in the Cloud
    Find My Friends
    Find My iPhone
    iCloud.com
    iPhoto Journals
    iTunes in the Cloud
    iTunes Match
    Mail
    Notes
    Photo Stream
    Reminders
    Storage Upgrades

Public System Status Information
    Yes
    http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Security
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4865
    All services encrypted at a minimum of 128-bit AES encryption during transit

Back to My Mac - Back to My Mac does not store data on iCloud
    Backup - Encrypted in Transit and Encrypted on the Server
    Bookmarks - Encrypted in Transit and Encrypted on the Server
    Calendars - Encrypted in Transit and Encrypted on the Server
    Contacts - Encrypted in Transit and Encrypted on the Server
    Documents in the Cloud - Encrypted in Transit and Encrypted on the Server
    Find My Friends - Encrypted in Transit and Encrypted on the Server
    Find My iPhone - Encrypted in Transit and Encrypted on the Server
    iCloud.com - All sessions at iCloud.com are encrypted with SSL.
    iTunes in the Cloud - No encryption as music files do not contain personal information
    Mail - Consistent with standard industry practice, iCloud does not encrypt data stored on IMAP mail servers. All Apple email clients support optional S/MIME encryption.
    Notes

Known Outages
    Outages information is sourced from multiple searches of AppleInsider, CNet and Google Search.

September 10, 2012 - September 12, 2012 (Mail)
    September 17, 2012 unknown downtime (iMessage)
    October 25, 2012 "a few hours" (iMessage)
    October 30, 2012 from 1415 PT to 1554 PT (iMessage, FaceTime)
    November 18, 2012 from 1145 PT to 1632 PT (iMessage, FaceTime ) - Note* this occurred during Hurricane Sandy
    November 18, 2012 from 1536 PT to 1631 PT iCloud Storage Upgrades
    November 19, 2012 from 0500 PT to 0800 PT (iTunes Match)

Average Uptime per Month by Month

October 2011 - 100% uptime
    November 2011 - 100% uptime
    December 2011 - 100% uptime
    January 2012 - 100% uptime
    February 2012 - 100% uptime
    March 2012 - 100% uptime
    April 2012 - 100% uptime
    May 2012 - 100% uptime
    June 2012 - 100% uptime
    July 2012 - 100% uptime
    August 2012 - 100% uptime
    September 2012 - 90% uptime (see note - downtime assumed as 72 hours for the month)
    October 2012 - 99.233% uptime
    November 2012 - 99.56% uptime
    December 2012 - 100% uptime
    January 2012 - 100% uptime
    February 2012 - 100% uptime
    March 2012 - ??

When the outage can't be practically and reasonably defined we will use a "worst case scenario" (the entire day)

Average Uptime Since Release
    99.34% averaged across all months including "worst case scenarios"

Time from Last Downtime November 19, 2012
    121 days
    17.29 weeks
    2,904 hours
    174,240 minutes

[SIZE=5]Perhaps most notably, the major outages appear to be related to a few major events[/SIZE]
    [LIST]
    [SIZE=5]
    [*] Release of the Apple iPhone 5 (which likely resulted in the activation and use of many new accounts)
    [*] Hurricane Sandy (which caused major infrastructure outages for many companies)
    [*] The weekend immediately preceding Thanksgiving 2012 (which is a major shopping and travel weekend and following the release of the iPhone 5)
    [/LIST][/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Journalists please take note and be quiet until you have done the analysis yourself.[/SIZE]
  • Reply 64 of 90
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

Now if Apple and Google would allow iOS users to sync contacts, calendar and email without iCloud which is what it SHOULD be then I would not need iCloud at all.

Ever heard of iTunes.  It syncs contacts, calendars, and email all without even turning on iCloud.

If your computer is on when you plug in your iOS device it will sync wirelessly to your computer as well, all without iCloud even being on.

As SoipsismX said above STOP WITH THE FUD.  

• Reply 65 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

2006 iMac can't run iCloud but a 2006 Windows machine can.

My 2006 Mac Pro running lion runs iCloud just fine.  The only things lacking are full system Air Play, and Messaging. Which came with Mountain Lion. Which unfortunatly wont run on My Mac Pro. 

• Reply 66 of 90
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mechanic wrote: »
    My 2006 Mac Pro running lion runs iCloud just fine.  The only things lacking are full system Air Play, and Messaging. Which came with Mountain Lion. Which unfortunatly wont run on My Mac Pro. 

My 2010 MBP can't do AirPlay Mirroring. I don't think my 2009 MBP could do AirDrop. I understand there could be HW issues for AirDrop since it keeps your regular WiFi connected when it makes an ad-hoc connection, but I don't see why AirPlay mirroring wouldn't work to the Apple TV. I can do Back to My Mac and Screensharing just fine.
  • Reply 67 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Just works, does it?  Not according to this article I happened upon. www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/20/apple_fails_at_cloud_leaving_market_open_to_android/

I have used iCloud with almost no issues since the day it came out, and read articles like this which really have not one bit of substance and end up being the authors personal opinion which when all is said and done is JUST HIS OPINION.  

In fact my iCloud account and my wife's is wonderful for restoring lost info and when you delete something by mistake..  The back up is in the cloud and is how it should be.

Photo Stream is ubiquitous and just works.  I take a picture and when I get home its waiting for me on my other devices.

Technology should not be seen.  It should just work.  iCloud just works for me and always has with very few exceptions.

I would like to have an actual file storage area in iCloud like iDisk used to be.   That would be nice.

• Reply 68 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

If you prefer not to read criticism or complaint, may I humbly ask that you skip over such posts but let them continue to exist for those who find benefit in them? 

May I humbly request the same of you, via-a-vis my posts?

The latter part of your post confuses me: in what way do I not let it "continue to exist"? (Unless you forgot to add the word "unchallenged"?)

• Reply 69 of 90
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

I have used iCloud with almost no issues since the day it came out, and read articles like this which really have not one bit of substance and end up being the authors personal opinion which when all is said and done is JUST HIS OPINION.  

In fact my iCloud account and my wife's is wonderful for restoring lost info and when you delete something by mistake..  The back up is in the cloud and is how it should be.

Photo Stream is ubiquitous and just works.  I take a picture and when I get home its waiting for me on my other devices.

Technology should not be seen.  It should just work.  iCloud just works for me and always has with very few exceptions.

I would like to have an actual file storage area in iCloud like iDisk used to be.   That would be nice.

The Register.

Any link to them should be enough to know that Apple will be badmouthed.

• Reply 70 of 90

Quote:

I have no problem with journalists (and even pseudo-journalists) critiquing Apple's offerings. Sometimes a good lambasting brings about change for the better.

That said, the linked article wasn't particularly useful, was it? It just seemed like the author was claiming "iCloud doesn't work" with no meaningful description of what was wrong or didn't do what it should. Just lots of links to other people who don't like it either.

(FWIW, one of those linked "other people" actually had some useful criticism, but you'd have to dig past the linked page to find it.)

• Reply 71 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My 2010 MBP can't do AirPlay Mirroring. I don't think my 2009 MBP could do AirDrop. I understand there could be HW issues for AirDrop since it keeps your regular WiFi connected when it makes an ad-hoc connection, but I don't see why AirPlay mirroring wouldn't work to the Apple TV. I can do Back to My Mac and Screensharing just fine.

My 2008 MacBook (AL not a pro) can't do it either.

Maybe after five years it's time to update.

It's second battery no longer holds charge, the 250GB drive is always full, maybe it's time to head to an Apple store.

• Reply 72 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

[...] The latter part of your post confuses me: in what way do I not let it "continue to exist"? (Unless you forgot to add the word "unchallenged"?)

Sorry, I worded that poorly. All I meant was to ask that you please not shoo people away if your only objection is their criticism of Apple. Some people are thin-skinned and may be discouraged from sharing their own experiences if they see others being chastised for doing so.

People who buy and use Apple products but have issues with particular aspects of that product are not the same as those who hate everything and just complain as a form of virtual vandalism.

• Reply 73 of 90
    solipsismx wrote: »

Intel Quick Sync

I suspect you know that already though. I do agree somewhat though I will say that using AirParrot on my MacBook Pro Late 2008 does stress the CPU considerably.
  • Reply 74 of 90
    Intel Quick Sync

I suspect you know that already though. I do agree somewhat though I will say that using AirParrot on my MacBook Pro Late 2008 does stress the CPU considerably.

If I knew that I had forgotten. I tested AirDrop (exactly once) when it first came out and it was very slow. I typically carry a retractable ethernet cable in my laptop bag so if I was ever on some unsecure network that I needed to send another machine a file I was probably set. And unless it was a huge file it would really be easier to just share a folder with Dropbox. Love Dropbox!
  • Reply 75 of 90
    hill60 wrote: »
    My 2008 MacBook (AL not a pro) can't do it either.

Maybe after five years it's time to update.

It's second battery no longer holds charge, the 250GB drive is always full, maybe it's time to head to an Apple store.

I believe I have my 2010's original 500GB HDD that you can have. I use an 80GB SSD + 1TB HDD in mine so I'm not ever going to use it again. Shot me a PM if you're interested and I can have it in the mail tomorrow.
  • Reply 76 of 90
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

2006 iMac can't run iCloud but a 2006 Windows machine can.

Indeed but a 2006 iMac had a Core Duo not a Xeon. Small difference but enough that Apple will not allow an update to Lion with that CPU.

Note: Core Duo was before Core 2 Duo and it was completely 32 bit. The very first Intel Mac.

• Reply 77 of 90
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

...all too unintelligent to know when I'm on my Mac or iPad to auto-disable audible alerts on another devices. This is especially annoying with iMessages. After that is finally dealt with there is getting APIs so that 3rd-party apps can seamlessly talk to each other so that updates between your devices are seamless.

Apple is like my alarm clock. Actually I never use an alarm clock, ever, not even when I have an early flight... but almost daily, at around 6:30 AM I hear ding... ding... ding as my iPhone, iPad and iPad mini all receive the latest spam form Apple on my iCloud mail account. Time to wake up and buy some iStuff. Because iCloud is my only push email I don't receive my other emails until I go get them. My friends who send me email on that account are still asleep at that hour so it is always Apple.

I wish there was a setting so between 10 PM and 7:30 AM the email audio notification would be silent without having to manually turn it off every evening on every 'unintelligent' device.

• Reply 78 of 90
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If I knew that I had forgotten. I tested AirDrop (exactly once) when it first came out and it was very slow. I typically carry a retractable ethernet cable in my laptop bag so if I was ever on some unsecure network that I needed to send another machine a file I was probably set. And unless it was a huge file it would really be easier to just share a folder with Dropbox. Love Dropbox!

The comment that "I suspect you know that already though" wasn't meant as an indictment, by the way.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    mstone wrote: »
    I wish there was a setting so between 10 PM and 7:30 AM the email audio notification would be silent without having to manually turn it off every evening on every 'unintelligent' device.

Doesn't Do Not Disturb resolve that issue?

The comment that "I suspect you know that already though" wasn't meant as an indictment, by the way.

I didn't take it as one.

As for Infographs, I have no idea. I have absolutely no aptitude for such things. I can do the research and suggest ideas but implementing them are beyond the scope of my abilities.
  • Reply 80 of 90

Quote:

I believe I have my 2010's original 500GB HDD that you can have. I use an 80GB SSD + 1TB HDD in mine so I'm not ever going to use it again. Shot me a PM if you're interested and I can have it in the mail tomorrow.

It's all good now, moving my dropbox to a separate drive and undeleting the files on the server has freed up 20GB, besides I need an excuse with the Finance Minister (aka wife) to get a new one.

Then I can just leave this old one on the network for iTunes, printing and a couple of other things.

It's starting to show it's age and is getting a bit slow at processing things like 1080p video from my iPhone 5.

It's also the model with a mini display port, two USB 2 ports, ethernet, mic, headphones and that's all.

Apple store here I come for some thunderbolt, retina goodness.

Thank you for the offer.