Apple's iCloud is most-used cloud service in the US, beating Dropbox & Amazon

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

A lot of iOS users don't even realize they're using iCloud..

so in reality, the bar is even higher, seeing as this is the results of a survey asking people if they use iCloud.

• Reply 22 of 90
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iCloud accounts for 27 percent of cloud customers in America, according to new data published Thursday by Strategy Analytics.

Wow.  Doesn't Microsoft have some kind of cloud storage solution?

You know, like all their other "checkbox marketing" me-too-I'm-following-along products?

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Music is currently the key battleground in the war for cloud domination," said Ed Barton ...

Makes sense.  Audio files are small and the record labels have been humbled by all that MP3 piracy in the late 90s - early 00s.  On the other hand, Apple's extreme makeover of the television industry could take a long time, simply because movies are still big enough to be inconvenient to copy easily.  (Not to mention all those contracts that need to be negotiated...) 

• Reply 23 of 90
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It's truly heart warming to see how well Microsoft's cloud services rank on this chart.
  • Reply 24 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaptorOO7 View Post

Now if Apple and Google would allow iOS users to sync contacts, calendar and email without iCloud which is what it SHOULD be then I would not need iCloud at all.

Yeah, if only Apple would allow that... image

Here's a hint -- Apple and Google aren't the only companies that offer calendar, contact and email sync, and iCloud is not the only service that Apple allows to sync with iOS devices.  

What Apple does do is make iCloud the easiest way to sync calendar, contacts and emails for iOS and OS X devices.  Is that really what you are complaining about here? That somehow, they shouldn't make their products easy to use?

• Reply 25 of 90
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

I have said before that a 'problem' with iCloud is that because no interaction takes place (as in Dropbox) it flies under the radar. Its only a problem in terms of public perception, of course. I love and use Dropbox on a daily basis and I, too, would love iCloud to include Dropbox features. 

One of the bast iCloud features is the part of Photostream that replaced MM Gallery. There really is no easier way to share photos without going all public.

• Reply 26 of 90
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

My biggest beef with iCloud is only that half of the best apps you can get for iOS are made by douchebag hipsters who only code for DropBox because they think it's "better."   

Do you really blame them? With Dropbox you can 'see' your files move them, make folders, copies, share them, delete them, etc. It makes it much easier to develop an app when you can actually test your backup features and debug them. With iCloud you don't have very good visibility of what is actually going on while you are developing an app.

• Reply 27 of 90

I would love to know what the overlapping numbers are -- I've been a Dropbox user for quite a while now and an MobileMe/iCloud (and more recently, iTunes Match) user for about as long.  I see them as complementary services for my usage.  I haven't looked into something like Google Drive or Amazon Cloud Drive because those needs are already met.

I guess my point is, how relevant is it to compare usage numbers of these various services against each other? It's not like every Dropbox user can't be a user of iCloud -- this isn't a zero sum game.

• Reply 28 of 90
    stefstef Posts: 87member

Apple's iCloud still needs work but it's kinda magical, knitting together all my devices so I can move seamlessly from one to the next without manual updates. I would never let Amazon or Google have that kind of information cus' "free" is way too expensive. In fact, I wish Apple would take all the Google apps off of iOS. Google pays Apple about a $billion a year for the privilege; Apple doesn't need another billion. It needs to stop Google's looney machinations. Cf. maps and reader.

• Reply 29 of 90
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Apple Rules AGAIN, shadyup all you negativity losers!
  • Reply 30 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It doesn't count as a service that anyone that uses iCloud uses but it counts as falling under the iCloud umbrella. Think of it as a cloud-based in-app purchase.

The phrase of the day: cloud-based in-app purchase.

Nice! image

• Reply 31 of 90

I'm not sure how informative any of this survey is.. it's effectively asking which cloud services do you know you use.  One big issue I have with this is that they don't mention google music at all.  I've been using that lately, and it works great for my entire music collection (and it's free, so I don't have to pay to access my own music collection as I'd have to do with apple or amazon).  Considering google music is installed on most android devices, and is so easy to use, I'd bet there are a large number of users out there.  I could be wrong, but it's hard to say.  

More people realize they're using icloud because the name gets thrown around a lot.  I'm sure there are plenty of people who use it without realizing it, but using it to sync contacts or to find my iphone isn't really making much use of the cloud, and just performs simple tcp/ip queries between devices.  If you really want to get down to the nitty gritty, most EVERY android user is using google's cloud...   Their contacts have always been stored on the cloud, the service syncs between your devices etc.   It all depends on your definition of cloud.

Phil

• Reply 32 of 90

That's the beaury of Apple "It just works" unlike all those other services where I have to manage/backup/micro manage it all, but you know those clueless geek losers  just love a command prompt and of course have no time to actually be human and talk to people, remember they have zero social skills

• Reply 33 of 90
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    spacepower wrote: »
    Apple had iDisk (2000) years before Dropbox, ...

2000 years before Dropbox, huh? Hah hah...
    With support built into every Mac and iOS device, ...

Nonsense. Only Macs on OS X 10.8.x or higher have full iCloud functionality. Macs on OS X 10.7 have partial functionality. Macs on 10.6.x have zero iCloud functionality. The same goes for iOS: any device running iOS 5 and earlier has no iCloud functionality.

Not ALL Macs and iPhones can even be upgraded to iCloud functionality.
  • Reply 34 of 90

Please explain to me why I need to see the file system? Its sooooooo 20th century. Please go away like the dinosuars

• Reply 35 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

That's right. My LC II and Performa sure can't get it. 

Or maybe the article only means modern Macs.

• Reply 36 of 90
    paul94544 wrote: »
    That's the beaury of Apple "It just works" unlike all those other services where I have to manage/backup/micro manage it all, but you know those clueless geek losers  just love a command prompt and of course have no time to actually be human and talk to people, remember they have zero social skills

I'm with you on the anti computer geek rant, but Apple's stuff doesn't just work all the time.

It took till the third update of Mountain Lion (3rd bug fix patch) to make the Notes application actually function at all with IMAP servers using mailbox prefixes. Till the latest update a week ago, this was a broken feature for many users. Also, iMessage has a clunky habit of not working as advertised if you turn it off and on on the Mac side (until you delete all existing messages on both sides).

...Also, I have experienced several drag-and-drop scrolling bug behaviors in 10.6.x Finder for years now. There was also the drag-and-drop screen glitches on OS X Lion that were never fixed at all (they made us pay for 10.8 to fix it).

...And the way iOS updates slowly ruin an iPhone's performance, forcing a hardware repurchase. I'm getting pretty disgusted by that issue alone.

Apple makes better stuff than the competition, which works in a much more friendly way than the competition, but it doesn't always JUST WORK. It's just as susceptible to bugs due to needless complexity, and there's still a clear lack of appropriate beta testing, just like in the rest of the industry.

Better design and less monolithic complexity in general makes Apple stuff feel better than Microsoft stuff, but it's still not the ideal the industry should be shooting for.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    That's right. My LC II and Performa sure can't get it. 

Har har. There's a vast difference between your humorous example and "modern." Obviously you know that, but you'd still rather be needlessly argumentative. Or you're of the mindset to describe any computer not on the bleeding edge as "not modern." That's not how it works. Maybe you ride that edge constantly. Most computer users don't. Maybe you're a computer geek obsessed with technology. Most users aren't (any more). I used to be a computer geek, and now I've matured into just another person that wants to get stuff done with my tools, while spending cautiously.
  • Reply 38 of 90

...And the way iOS updates slowly ruin an iPhone's performance, forcing a hardware repurchase. I'm getting pretty disgusted by that issue alone.

Probably because it's not even the case.

…there's still a clear lack of appropriate beta testing, just like in the rest of the industry.

I would say there's a lack of fringe case testing.

• Reply 39 of 90
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

2006 iMac can't run iCloud but a 2006 Windows machine can.

• Reply 40 of 90

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

2006 iMac can't run iCloud but a 2006 Windows machine can.

Still not a modern Mac… 

Modern is what they currently sell.