Study finds little difference between iPhone, Galaxy S III users

Comments

• Reply 41 of 109
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xuselppa View Post

Very few Android owners would switch to the iPhone. It is looked at as more of a toy phone that is limited in what it can do, run by a company that believes it should control every aspect of your digital life and it looks like a stretched turd. On top of that, Google integration and the options provided by Android are key factors in staying with the platform. I believe my phone and tablet should be able to function like a mini PC. Neither the iPad or iPhone can do this without jailbreaking and even then, it is a slow, cumbersome process to find anything.

Nonsense. Maybe that is your reason for using Android and as I said in my previous quote those people do exist along with iHaters, but there is also probably a very large segment that would love to at least try out an iPhone. After all unlike a car, computer, or TV  where you tend to keep it for many years, people upgrade phones every 20 or so months. Very few Android or iPhone users are geeks or power users or read online forums. Your thinking is but a tiny minority of Android users who could easily be tempted to try out an iPhone if their main reason not to buy one was because they thought the screen was too small. Switching phones or even platforms is very easy to do. Importing contacts and other items between Android and iOS is very fast and straightforward now. 

• Reply 42 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I can regurgitate the real life experience of my Android owning friends and myself of which none of us has had a problem with viruses or malware. A uneducated person can inadvertently download an infected app just like someone can invite a trojan into their Mac.

I agree with dasanman. I know alot of friends and family who have an android phones for years but have never had an issue with "malware". You can't stop or fix stupid, lord knows it would be nice in my office.

• Reply 43 of 109
    tailstails Posts: 35member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Who cares about 'what they use it for.' What else would someone use it for other the ones suggested!? There is no data provided on how much (except for some vague generalities like 'several times a day'). Web use statistics tell a completely different story on 'how much.'

I notice that the study is also conspicuously silent on the demographics....... I wonder why.......

Web statistics show a big difference between iOS and Android web usage. Not between S3 users and iPhone 5 users. I'm pretty certain that those flagship handsets from Samsung are being used just as much as any iPhone out there. The crappy ones though are the ones that pull down Android statistics down, they get activated yet aren't being used to do anything.

• Reply 44 of 109
    So I'm kind of an expert in these sorts of things.

Here it goes: they did a study of 500 iPhone users and 500 S3 users. The users volunteered to be monitored. Got that?

If that is so, then what is really being tracked is not the usage patterns of iPhone and S3 users, but instead, the usage patterns of smartphone users who willingly volunteer to be tracked. Got that?

• Reply 45 of 109
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by applesupertramp View Post

Got that?

Nope.

• Reply 46 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

I wonder who paid for this "study" and how they decided which 500 of the tens of millions of iPhone and Galaxy GS III users were average. 

Assuming it was a random sample of each population, 500 is a pretty darn good sample size. http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/Soc_participants.shtml

• Reply 47 of 109
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    sockrolid wrote: »

Are you in denial about Android's malware problem or are you just regurgitating BS you've been led to believe?
    Maybe you could regurgitate this:

"McAfee: Android malware problem getting worse, now most-targeted platform"
    http://www.slashgear.com/mcafee-android-malware-problem-getting-worse-now-most-targeted-platform-24174009/

"Android is a malware cesspool -- and users don't care"
    http://www.infoworld.com/d/mobile-technology/android-malware-cesspool-and-users-dont-care-006

Android malware chart
    http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/android-malware-chart-130307.jpg

The latest versions of Apple iOS and Google Android seem to offer security with both solutions offering Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR), Application Sandboxing, Code Signing, File System Encryption, Mobile Device Management (including Remote Wipe), Protected APIs, Secure Boot Chain.

Apple iOS has several distinct and important advantages;

* Background Processes are managed by strict API guidelines and managed through admission to the App Store to prevent errant applications;
    * Integrated SSL, TLS and VPN support including (default) encryption for default apps such as Calendar, Mail and Safari;
    * No Multiple Abstraction Layers, i.e. Dalvik Virtual Machine on Linux kernel with every abstraction layer providing potential vulnerabilities (every Android app runs within its own virtual machine);
    * Fewer Ports offer fewer potential vulnerabilities especially SD cards; and
    * Software Updates are managed exclusively by Apple allowing security updates to be developed and deployed rapidly
    * No Confusing app Privacy and Security Management

Although none of these vulnerabilities are singularly a massive security threat, the aggregate of the vulnerabilities creates a massive security hole. I believe Google will make every attempt to resolve some of these features but none of the features except the confusing app Privacy and Security Management is resolvable due to supposed market demand or the platform concept.
  • Reply 48 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tails View Post

I'm pretty certain that those flagship handsets from Samsung are being used just as much as any iPhone out there. 

How can you be "pretty certain"? Based on what data?

-----

Add:

Just came across this: within a few weeks of introduction, the iPhone 5 alone bested Galaxy S3 in terms of web traffic volume: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57531285-37/iphone-5-traffic-volume-already-surpasses-samsungs-galaxy-s3/

• Reply 49 of 109
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Nope.

I suspect the poster is alluding to the possibility that the Android users knew they were being tracked for the study and as a result may have specifically retrieved their Samsung Galaxy SIII which was previously powered off and sitting abandoned in home drawers, ... and closets.
  • Reply 50 of 109
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The latest versions of Apple iOS and Google Android offer very good security...

You had me at "both offer very good security".:D

Edit: LOLZ! That made you go back and change what you said about very good security after you were honest and correct in the first place? Now they just offer security, neither one very good. . . :lol:
  • Reply 51 of 109
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    I'd like to see a socioeconomic comparison. I bet it's different.
  • Reply 52 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apres587 View Post

Because you don't care what happens to your Nexus?

No, because it's so much more durable. I must have dropped it a hundred times. Sure there are a bunch of scuffs and cuts around the corners, but nothing is broken and I'm 3 months away from an upgrade. Too much of a sloppy drunk for a fragile phone again.

• Reply 53 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

I'd like to see a socioeconomic comparison. I bet it's different.

High end Android phone costs the same on contracts on average as iPhones. People on the big carriers will pay the same monthly plan fee regardless of whether they have an iPhone, Galaxy S4, or HTC One. The low end models usually start at $199 and go up from there. This has nothing to do with socioeconomics but simple preferences. People will choose an iPhone or Android phone based on their priorities. If they value a large display along with more control and flexibility in adjusting the OS to suit their tastes they will choose Android. If they are APple loyalist and prefer a far simpler but cleaner and easier to use phone experience and maybe prefer the smaller display and maybe some other Apple specific advantages they pick an iPhone. 

If all Android and Apple fans are truly honest, we would all admit there are at least some things we are jealous of on the other platform. Few diehard fans would dare admit that in a forum like this but most reasonable people can see pros and cons to both choices. I for one would like to set my own default app for tasks like my browser or text app for example. On Android there are so many great and free texting apps that offer a ton more options and features than the one built in to the iPhone which is very basic. I would also love to be able to scroll to the bottom of a long webpage quickly that can be a hassle on an iPhone. I miss having Swype as an optional keyboard and a few more. And I am sure many Android owners would appreciate things like no carrier bloatware, generally better battery life, better app quality and faster app updates in general, better copy and paste, a far better calendar where adding appointments is a breeze. 

• Reply 54 of 109
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

How can you be "pretty certain"? Based on what data?

-----

Add:

Just came across this: within a few weeks of introduction, the iPhone 5 alone bested Galaxy S3 in terms of web traffic volume: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57531285-37/iphone-5-traffic-volume-already-surpasses-samsungs-galaxy-s3/

Wishful thinking? Personal bias has a lot to do with how we interpret data that doesn't fit our models.

• Reply 55 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyaleWitCheez1 View Post

Funk The Android. It's just a iPhone with another manufacturer shell on top.

Case closed.

Explain to me how this is true. Have you used an android phone before?

• Reply 56 of 109

Quote:

Who cares about 'what they use it for.' What else would someone use it for other the ones suggested!? There is no data provided on how much (except for some vague generalities like 'several times a day'). Web use statistics tell a completely different story on 'how much.'

I notice that the study is also conspicuously silent on the demographics....... I wonder why.......

I don't think I will ever understand why Apple users always want to be seen as elite. Does demographics really matter, do we want to classify people by what technology they pick?

iOS products are sold at Walmart which has a wide range when it comes to demographics. Being one of the leaders in retail I am sure they would not stock Apple products if only the elite could afford them. If you take current Android phones and the current iPhone price is not an issue, they are all around the same price with or without a contract. 

The elite days are over and that is a good thing because Apple is finding a way to get their products out to everyone. It's a great thing when someone who can not afford a 3k Macbook Pro can still buy a 329.00 iPad mini and get a high quality device. Or get an iPhone 4s for next to nothing with a contract. 

I live in Georgia plenty of people will three teeth on welfare texting with their iPhone 5, hard to tag elite with that vision stuck in my head. 

• Reply 57 of 109
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

I'll agree that the demographic slice of Galaxy SIII v iPhone users are similar, the only thing different is that the Galaxy users are just a little....misguided. image

• Reply 58 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I don't think I will ever understand why Apple users always want to be seen as elite. Does demographics really matter, do we want to classify people by what technology they pick?

Gosh, I should clarify. I have no personal desire to be seen as 'elite'. At a personal level, it does not matter to me one whit.

However, valuation issues interest me deeply, and the demographic characteristics of a company's consumer base matters a heck of a lot there! It also matters for other things, such as ad revenue you can generate, ecosystem revenue you can generate, cross-selling possibilities, the value of customer lists, value of a lifetime customer, etc.

• Reply 59 of 109
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Metal housing that you cover up with a plastic case? Never got that.

Once I got rid of my iPhone 4 (in it's plastic case) and went to my Galaxy Nexus, I stopped using cases.

Yeah, that's what i'm thinking too.  Why cover up a metal case phone with plastic if i like metal.

I need to get rid of my plastic case and buy a metal one.

• Reply 60 of 109

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I live in Georgia plenty of people will three teeth on welfare texting with their iPhone 5, hard to tag elite with that vision stuck in my head. 

What a completely stupid and offensive comment. Let me guess, you are another rust belt transplant that thinks everything was better up north but you still move here by the millions to let us know. If things are so bad here with these toothless hicks why are so many of Georgia's cities rated among the best places to live and why is it among the fastest growing in population while many other states up north are flat or losing population. I am a Georgia native and have lived in other states and countries but chose to come back home because it is a fantastic state to live. I seriously doubt you have ever seen any 3 teethed people ever in your life with the exception of a movie. I agree with your premise that the iPhone is no longer premium or elite since it costs the same as Android phones, but surely you could have used a less insulting example to make your case.