Apple's $20M purchase of WiFiSLAM snubs Google's Android for indoor map tech

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by websnap View Post

It's a snub to Android because WiFiSLAM had an android SDK and now they won't. Up until it's sale it was android only (after iOS5) save for the unofficial iOS Jailbreaking that allowed it to work. It's a snub to android because devs had the option to write WiFiSLAM into their apps and now it's gone.

They did the same thing with the fingerprint scanner company too.  After they bought AuthenTec, the made a press release to AuthenTec's customers telling them that after a certain date the technology would no longer be available to them.  That Apple was bringing the tech in house for there use only.

• Reply 43 of 46

I rarely defend Ai per se, but I think it was rightly said. This _was_ imho an useful Google-pawn that they just lost.

Wasn't there another article from last week that mentioned a company "with ties to Google" (but otherwise had nothing officially tied to Google) which turned out to be the guy had just interned at Google for a while? As if anyone living in Silicon Valley hasn't worked at Google, HP, Apple or Intel?
  • Reply 44 of 46
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

PS: I hit my head on the bathroom sink while standing on the toilet to hang a clock. When I came to I had a premonition about an Apple event a week in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

P.S.  You must have a really high sink (or low toilet)

P.P.S.  How can you tell time while seated (or need to know the time while standing)?

P.P.P.S  an iWatch would solve [most] all your problems

P.P.P.P.S. I find it interesting that you were hanging a (presumed) unitasking clock in the bathroom in the first place. 

Over the past 6 months I've been house hunting and probably have been through 40+ homes X 3 bathrooms each.

That's ~120 bathrooms and not a single clock hanging. Incorporated into shaving mirrors and in iHomes, yes, but none hanging on the wall.

Sorry for being off topic but I had to *chime* in on that one. image

• Reply 45 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    P.S. You must have a really high sink (or low toilet)

P.P.S. How can you tell time while seated (or need to know the time while standing)?

P.P.P.P.S. I find it interesting that you were hanging a (presumed) unitasking clock in the bathroom in the first place. 

I guess it was too subtle. I was paraphrasing Doc Brown from Back to the Future.

[VIDEO]

PS: That Kit-Cat Klock is hanging in Doc Brown's house in the movie. Neat little story about this 80 year old iconic clock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit-Cat_Klock
  • Reply 46 of 46
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I guess it was too subtle. I was paraphrasing Doc Brown from Back to the Future.

PS: That Kit-Cat Klock is hanging in Doc Brown's house in the movie. Neat little story about this 80 year old iconic clock: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit-Cat_Klock

As soon as I read Doc Brown, it hit me. It's been a long time since I last watched that one and it's quite coincidental that I posted that particular pic.