Google's push Gmail changes surprise new iPhone buyers, Apple store reps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    yensid98: Could you list some good alternatives? I've slowly grown to hate Google, and every move they make nowadays is never in my interests. I happen to use Gmail primarily. I got it when it was still invite only, and I've grown to appreciate Gmail as a service, but lately I've been looking into ways to abandon Google (YouTube will be a lot tougher).
  • Reply 22 of 86
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member

That's the sound of Google gasping for air.

ah well, looks like Gmail is going to be my junk only account from now on.  No big deal.  They think they have everybody hooked.  we'll see.

• Reply 23 of 86
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

Google officially ended its Exchange support on Jan. 30, but the search company has grandfathered in existing users' hardware to continue allowing push email. That means most users will only discover the changes if they get a new iPhone, whether through upgrading, or simply receiving a replacement from Apple.

Actually, they forgot to mention one fact here... This will also become reality with CURRENT hardware if the user decides to perform an iOS factory restore on the device, such as when they perform that function during an iOS update via iTunes to completely nuke and re-load the OS from scratch...

I tried this in my iPhone 5, and even after restoring from a fresh iCloud backup to the original state, my push email is now DEAD on all my Gmail accounts, including the Google Apps accounts I have running on the free subscription.

The "grandfathering" is at the software level and will be removed on existing hardware if you restore the device for any reason. Yet another omission (or lie) from the people that proclaim "Do No Evil"...

Am now officially moving all my accounts to Outlook.com and iCloud, screw you Scroogle!

• Reply 24 of 86
    Google is the new Microsoft

It's the 80s all over again.

Microsoft had their own OS but makes products for both Apple and PC. Slowly Microsoft stops supporting Apple. Eventually you have to use their OS.

Google maps.. gmail.. same stuff all over again. We support everyone!! We support our OS more.. we don't support yours anymore.

As bad a PR problem as Apple maps was it was Apple's best (and only) move. Google maps was generations behind the Android equivalent until Apple decided not to take it anymore.. then suddenly Google maps gets a 3 generation upgrade.

Don't be evil my ass...

• Reply 25 of 86
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

This is a shame because Google's GMail app for iOS is incredibly slow. 

Hopefully this will all be ironed out by the time that I upgrade to the next iPhone. image

• Reply 26 of 86
    sporlosporlo Posts: 143member
    Well I just set up my iCloud email account. No idea why I didn't do it earlier. I didn't realize how simple it would be AND that there is nice, clean archive support. One of the reasons why I liked Gmail was its clean archival system. Now I gotta start changing emails for a million different websites :|
  • Reply 27 of 86
    To get a push "notification" for a Gmail-based account on an affected iOS device you can add your Gmail account(s) to the Gmail app and turn off all notifications for that app except for "Sounds". Then, when you hear the tone, open your regular Mail app and get your new message.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    mactoidmactoid Posts: 112member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carthusia View Post

It remains to be seen if iOS users will give up Google services like GMail and keep Apple hardware.

Seriously?  "Give up Google services"?  You're just going from push to fetch, which I'd already done with my Gmail accounts because "push" is a battery hog. 

There are a lot of places on the net that offer free "throw-away" mail accounts.  Gmail makes me nervous anyway since they essentially "read your mail' to look for opportunities to see you stuff.

• Reply 29 of 86
    winniewinnie Posts: 17member

Simple solution .....switched to my iCloud.com email address.    

Sent out a notice of new email address to my contacts.   Setup vacation reminder in gmail to send a second reminder of new iCloud.com email address.  

Changed by bank and credit cards. 

Took half hour to accomplish above.

now my mail arrives faster than ever on iPhone and iPad.       Within seconds of each other.  

Simple solution. 

• Reply 30 of 86
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

More and more it seems like Google is exposing iOS's Achille's heel-very many iOS users rely on Google apps for core services like email. Google, at will, can handicap those services for iOS users, potentially pushing them even further to Android if they want the full breadth of those services' features. Unfortunately, Apple must allow these Google apps into the App Store or potentially face anti-competition charges.

It remains to be seen if iOS users will give up Google services like GMail and keep Apple hardware. Will they keep using Google's core services and abandon their iPhones because their beloved service is compromised on iOS devices? The more Google can get between iOS users and their hardware, the more the value proposition of iOS and Apple hardware comes into question.

I'm not a sky-is-falling Apple fan, but I do think Apple could use a strategy to defend against these maneuvers. Also, personally, I do not have email pushed to my iPhone, as it drains battery life. But many others, especially Blackberry converts, live and die by push email.

Which is why Apple's move away from Google, with inhouse maps etc, makes absolute sense for anyone who had a shred of insight. Imagine if Google had the ability to cripple every core app in iOS. It's why those screeching that Apple were moving away from Google dependance to "screw their users" or because of "greediness" or an "agenda" were so utterly idiotic.

There is no achille heel, it is to Google's benefit to make their iOS apps as good as possible, iOS users will more likely to stop using their apps o switch to an alternate app if its garbage, before switching over to an Android device. This exchange thing is not iOS exclusive, they are disabling push exchange on anything, so this has nothing to do with iOS itself. 

• Reply 31 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This exchange thing is not iOS exclusive, they are disabling push exchange on anything, so this has nothing to do with iOS itself. 

GMail still pushes to Apple Mail, just not iOS.

• Reply 32 of 86
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    carthusia wrote: »
    More and more it seems like Google is exposing iOS's Achille's heel-very many iOS users rely on Google apps for core services like email. Google, at will, can handicap those services for iOS users, potentially pushing them even further to Android if they want the full breadth of those services' features. Unfortunately, Apple must allow these Google apps into the App Store or potentially face anti-competition charges.

It remains to be seen if iOS users will give up Google services like GMail and keep Apple hardware. Will they keep using Google's core services and abandon their iPhones because their beloved service is compromised on iOS devices? The more Google can get between iOS users and their hardware, the more the value proposition of iOS and Apple hardware comes into question.

I'm not a sky-is-falling Apple fan, but I do think Apple could use a strategy to defend against these maneuvers. Also, personally, I do not have email pushed to my iPhone, as it drains battery life. But many others, especially Blackberry converts, live and die by push email.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    [QUOTE] More and more it seems like Google is exposing iOS's Achille's heel-very many iOS users rely on Google apps for core services like email. Google, at will, can handicap those services for iOS users, potentially pushing them even further to Android if they want the full breadth of those services' features.[/QUOTE]

Funny thing I don't use any Google services At all my wife uses an exchange mail server with her work all this article really means is the Google is dropping Exchange mail server support for iOS Mail unless you want to pay for It. I have my own email provider I wouldn't use Google if it was the last mail provider on the face the planet. You couldn't be more wrong about people not using iOS mail because Google drop exchange service Push mail. This is just googles way of making you pay for something that you shouldn't have to. Most businesses like my wifes push email from there exchange server. My work does as well. Google is just trying to get people to drop iOS mail and use there client so they can advertise you to the world. iOS mail is perfectly capable of using an exchange mail push server and google knows this. Its there choice. lol. A stupid one but there choice.
  • Reply 34 of 86
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    carthusia wrote: »
    More and more it seems like Google is exposing iOS's Achille's heel-very many iOS users rely on Google apps for core services like email.

iCloud sure doesn't exist. Nor do any other e-mail providers.
    Oh... how does iCloud support email for domains? Do tell!

Other services... right... I'll get right on having IT switch our company from gmail to ...something else... so I can still get push mail on my iPhone. I'm sure they will be happy to oblige!

These things have a huge impact, and it is idiotic to think that there are trivial work-arounds. The problem isn't Apple, it is the core of what these "cloud" offerings really are-- a ploy at lock-in.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

I'll get right on having IT switch our company from gmail…

No self-respecting company uses Gmail.

Any company that does use Gmail is small enough for a switch not to matter. Any company large enough for a switch to matter is using something that is actually secure or has their own server for mail.

• Reply 36 of 86
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

More and more it seems like Google is exposing iOS's Achille's heel-very many iOS users rely on Google apps for core services like email. Google, at will, can handicap those services for iOS users, potentially pushing them even further to Android if they want the full breadth of those services' features. 

Apple isn't responsible for Google's decisions about how Google's services operate on competing operating systems. 

Oh, and like I'm really gonna leave an entire platform because of how Gmail works through Apple's own Mail app.      O.o

• Reply 37 of 86
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    I have a gmail address purely because as well as my iPhone an iPad I have an android tablet. However I am trying to get rid of Google as much as possible from my technology. I don't use google as a search engine but use bing or yahoo instead (even on my android tablet), and I have deleted Google maps from my phone and iPad. The only google product that I use regularly is YouTube. As far as I am concerned the quicker apple ditches google from its products the better. Try life without google, you never know you might enjoy it.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member

i use mailbox app, but if i didnt i wouldnt care if i got my spam and amazon order conf's every 15 mins. i dont know any one who uses a regular none google apps email account for important biz stuff anyways

• Reply 39 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post

Google is just trying to get people to drop iOS mail and use there client so they can advertise you to the world. iOS mail is perfectly capable of using an exchange mail push server and google knows this. Its there choice. lol. A stupid one but there choice.

Has anyone stopped to consider that perhaps Google doesn't want to pay Microsoft's licensing fee for Exchange Active Sync which is probably based on number of users if it is like any of Microsoft's other licenses? I wouldn't be surprised if MS is charging $10s of millions to both Google and Apple yearly. Why would anyone want to pay such enormous fees when there is a perfectly good free open source UNIX alternative which is how GMail actually pushes to any client app that supports it, like Apple Mail. Currently iOS Mail does not support IDLE making it incapable of receiving the iMAP push open source protocol Google is using.

Apple will still need Exchange support to satisfy corporate users with their own mail server, but Google apparently does not want to bother with that.

• Reply 40 of 86
    Thankfully I use Yahoo email. And with the shuttering of Reader, Google just gave me the push I needed to disengage with their services other than search. I have some secondary email accounts on Gmail I'm in the process of shutting down and moving to other services that I trust more.

F*** Google and the horse they rode in on.