Google's push Gmail changes surprise new iPhone buyers, Apple store reps

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86

Another thing to note is the capacity. Google offers ~10 GB and Apple 5 GB.  For those that have/receive TONs upon TONs of emails, gmail will offer more space from that.  However that said, I dont receive that many emails.  Over the 10 years Ive been using Gmail, my space used never went over 2%.  Emails are not that big (unless every email has an attachment, but there are better ways to share stuff most of the time than using attachments) so an single email is like spitting into the ocean when given both Google's and Apple's free capacities.  Now if you use other icloud services (iOS backup, documents, etc with the exception of photostream) i think those also eat into your free 5 GB allotment so that is something else to keep in mind.

• Reply 82 of 86
    r98266r98266 Posts: 12member
    titantiger wrote: »
    Explain this in a little more detail.

Step 1: Create a new Outlook (MSN, Hotmail) account
    Step 2: Sign into your Gmail account
    Step 3: Go to Settings
    Step 4: Forward your mail to your new Outlook account
    Step 5: Sign into your Outlook account
    Step 6: Go to the upper right part of the Screen and click on the Settings Gear
    Step 7: click "More mail settings"
    Step 8: under "Managing your account" click "Your email accounts"
    Step 9: under "Add an email account" click "Add a send-only account"

** You'll have to sign into Google and wait for an email to give Outlook access to send as the Gmail account **

Step 10: after verifying, go back to the page where you added the "Send only" account.
    Step 11: scroll to the bottom of that page and under "Default "From" Address" select your Gmail account.
    Step 12: sign into your Outlook account on your iPhone, iPad and you'll get your Gmail pushed to you AND it will appear as though you're sending mail from it as well.

If I want access to messages I received before I created this account, I just sign onto Gmail on my computer.

As of right now though, I have full push support with my Gmail account via Outlook.
  • Reply 83 of 86
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Google is pretty darn good about telling you how to move data out (or into if that's your preference) of any of their services. Just visit [url=http://www.dataliberation.org/] The Data Liberation Front. [/url]

Surprise. . . It's actually an official Google effort to assist users of Google services in controlling their own data.. As far as I can tell every Google app is listed on the left. Just click on the one you want to "liberate" ,

If only Apple and Microsoft were so transparent and made it so easy.
  • Reply 84 of 86
    Yawn. Who cares?

My GMail account is of secondary utility value at best, serving mainly as an account to validate favourite blogs and sites and similar functions. Nothing in my affairs that is commercial, financial or logistical is directed there, no fear...

I tried enabling push on the standalone GMail app years ago, but wasn't happy with the extra notification badges cluttering my screen and disabled it.

My several legacy iOS devices still have push support for the native Mail app grandfathered in, and still see regular use in many remarkable ways thanks to the excellent Apple and 3rd party apps that have served me so well over the years. Unlocked legally, they also carry SIMs that enable cheap international calls to get around extortionate roaming call and data charges when I travel.

Life is good in my global mobile walled orchard :-)
  • Reply 85 of 86
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Google is pretty darn good about telling you how to move data out (or into if that's your preference) of any of their services. Just visit The Data Liberation Front.

Surprise. . . It's actually an official Google effort to assist users of Google services in controlling their own data.. As far as I can tell every Google app is listed on the left. Just click on the one you want to "liberate" ,

If only Apple and Microsoft were so transparent and made it so easy.
    Well it all looks very nice from a Google Spin POV, but the reality is that that they have already read, analysed, probably sold and definitely stored a copy indefinitely, of the data. Why wouldn't they let you believe you can transfer/liberate this data?
    In terms of value to them it is literally yesterday's news - they have already had their way with it, so on to the next fresh bit of data.

The effect is the same if you simply stop using their services, as I have pretty much done.
  • Reply 86 of 86