iPhone 5, Galaxy S4 launch tweets show Apple still has more cachet than Samsung

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not surprised at all. These figures aren't shocking, they merely show the sad reality and the current pathetic state of Android. As Samsung recently found out, there's a big difference between manufacturing and paying for false hype versus the genuine enthusiasm and excitement that happens with many Apple product releases. 

Besides the geekiest and the most mentally disturbed of Fandroids, those few people who are chained in their basements and likes to spend their nights updating to the newest ROM, and the few people who like to spend their days trolling Apple forums which they have no business being on, the average person does not care much about Android. The average Android user is using a phone that is running a very old, outdated and poor performing OS which is barely better than a feature phone.

Fandroids think that innovation is releasing a phone that is .5 inches bigger than the last one. Android has done virtually nothing to advance tech. On the contrary, Android is a hinder to tech advancement, as Android has helped to usher in the era of "the race to the bottom". Most Android tablets are nothing but pollution, cheap pieces of crap that will very soon end up in a huge pile of scrap. If I were one of those bat shit insane environmentalists, I would be very concerned.

Also, the average person buys his phone with no idea what he buys, and that average person buys an Android phone because that's what the carrier guys suggest to him. You're not helping the Apple cause, as usual, by sounding like a raging AAPL-owner looking at stock prices. Not that I can blame you on the latter point.

Edit: Also, please keep in mind that _some_ people cannot afford an iPhone and are pretty happy to have a cheaper solution. Android is, contrary to what you say, a pretty good system, that can run on pretty good hardware, especially in the pure Google iterations ( I don't personally own one of these, but some colleagues do, and they're far from stupid, to say the least).

Comparing bad Android phones to the iPhone and ignoring the good Android phones only show your bias, not a failure in Android, you know?

The problems are the possible infringements, the lack of quality (imho) of the Samsung phones, GSn comprised, the lack of security (balanced with the freedom it enables... and that is pretty important, especially if you take into account that the general public prefers a secure place with lots of policemen and militia to a dangerously free place... history shows that the general public is wrong about that particular point), but Samsung is not Android, and Android is an innovative and interesting system.

• Reply 22 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But the source is PiperJaffray. I think that image says it's from Investing Analysis, not AI, which includes the word launch.

Well, Ai says it's Investing Analytics: http://www.investinganalytics.net/ but I don't quite know who they are :D

• Reply 23 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Also, the average person buys his phone with no idea what he buys, and that average person buys an Android phone because that's what the carrier guys suggest to him. You're not helping the Apple cause, as usual, by sounding like a raging AAPL-owner looking at stock prices. Not that I can blame you on the latter point.

I'm not holding any AAPL at the moment, so that is of no concern to me. And I'm not here to help anybody or to help any particular cause. I just come here to speak my mind, regardless if it's helping somebody or not.

• Reply 24 of 48
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Anybody cooool enough knows that Galaxy S4 owners are raving about their new device in mini-broadway shows instead of on Twitter. Duh. Twitter and the iPhone are soooo off-Broadway.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Meanwhile stock of Apple is still going down...
  • Reply 26 of 48

Self quoting myself, but I just realized that the solution Apple uses on Mountain Lion could work out on Android: having only curated, signed software run on Android, unless the user specifically allows it, which means he knows what he's doing.

Another idea would be to have a self-reinstalling copy of the system and all the data "in the cloud". Not a solution I'd want for myself, but I'm not "the average guy"... Also, I have an iPhone ;)

Quote:

the lack of security (balanced with the freedom it enables... and that is pretty important, especially if you take into account that the general public prefers a secure place with lots of policemen and militia to a dangerously free place... history shows that the general public is wrong about that particular point)

• Reply 27 of 48
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member

Quote:

What I don't get is why this is being compared now when the launch date isn't until April 26th, 2013.

I'm going to venture that "launch" in the case of both the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4 refers to their launch events -  not the sale release date

• Reply 28 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post

Hey, maybe I can buy some of it soon? Hopefully Apple][ will throw his away? Gimme?

• Reply 29 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not holding any AAPL at the moment, so that is of no concern to me. And I'm not here to help anybody or to help any particular cause. I just come here to speak my mind, regardless if it's helping somebody or not.

Good! So do we :D

• Reply 30 of 48
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Android is, contrary to what you say, a pretty good system...

Well, it was the second best system Apple ever created...

• Reply 31 of 48
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    c4rlob wrote: »
    I'm going to venture that "launch" in the case of both the iPhone 5 and Galaxy S4 refers to their launch events -  not the sale release date

That's like saying the manned rocket mission to Mars has already been launched simply by announcing plans for one. At any rate, it's poor wording.
  • Reply 32 of 48

Yeah those 14 to 17 year old pubs can skew some data. My daughter does text/tweet between 60K and 75 thousand a month on her IP5. Me, on the other hand, would have kept my pager if I was into that. When I have a phone, I want to talk to somebody. No lols or OMG, etc. ever 2 seconds. 

• Reply 33 of 48

Quote:

That's like saying the manned rocket mission to Mars has already been launched simply by announcing plans for one. At any rate, it's poor wording.

If it works, it will solve a lot of NASA's funding problems :p

• Reply 34 of 48
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    B
    solipsismx wrote: »
    What I don't get is why this is being compared now when the launch date isn't until April 26th, 2013.

Because it is not comparing launch date data but announcement day data.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I thought the iPhone was uncool.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post

Fortunately Google's stock was down more than Apple's today, so for all those people who give a crap about things that shouldn't matter, that should make them feel a little better. image

• Reply 37 of 48
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Self quoting myself, but I just realized that the solution Apple uses on Mountain Lion could work out on Android: having only curated, signed software run on Android, unless the user specifically allows it, which means he knows what he's doing.
    Another idea would be to have a self-reinstalling copy of the system and all the data "in the cloud". Not a solution I'd want for myself, but I'm not "the average guy"... Also, I have an iPhone ;)
    The Apps in Google Play are still being found to be compromised, so until they vet the Apps it still won't fix the problem.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Anybody cooool enough knows that Galaxy S4 owners are raving about their new device in mini-broadway shows instead of on Twitter. Duh. Twitter and the iPhone are soooo off-Broadway.

Which Galaxy S4 owners would that be?

• Reply 39 of 48
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    igriv wrote: »
    cache->cachet Geez...

Geez fail
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cachet
  • Reply 40 of 48
    solipsismx wrote: »
    c4rlob wrote: »

If poor wording were an issue, many stories on AI would qualify.

You seem to be taking it way too literally. I think it just meant announcement date. The article also uses the word 'debut' -- what do you reckon that means?