Apple updates Final Cut Pro X, Motion & Compressor in push to win back pro users

Comments

• Reply 41 of 133
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Plenty of time with iTunes and unfortunately plenty of time with many of Adobe's expensive products. I honestly don't get peoples dissatisfaction with iTunes as it is free, and it seems to work pretty well.

Try this:

- Copy your music library to another drive.

- Delete all the files in the iTunes folder.

- Drag your music files back into iTunes.

- Try to figure out why half your songs still have album art and the other half don't.

Lemme know if you want any other sure-fire, guaranteed-to-go sideways things one might reasonably do with their media library.

I don't hate iTunes and continue to use it for reasons that are likely irrelevant to anyone else, but it'll test your patience.

• Reply 42 of 133

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Those who like FCPX say it is fast, productive... and FUN!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACE Enterprizes View Post

Final Cut Pro X IS fast, productive, and fun! 

From Page 16 of the "FCPX Apologists Guide." I don't know if you're supposed to quote it verbatim though... (j/k image)

I ask with zero malice, just genuine curiosity: Dick, do you have some kind of vested interest in more people using FCPX? Why do you go to the trouble of trying to persuade others?

Nope!  I am an Apple fan, satisfied user, shareholder and a customer since 1978.  No one in our family has ever bought a PC.

i used iMovie, outgrew it, moved on to FCP Express, cross graded to FCP 6' then upgraded to FCP 7/FCPS... Then FCPX.

When I see something I like, I tend to evangelize the hell out of it... Out of pride, I guess... And a way of giving something back to a ccompany and industry that have been very good to me.

• Reply 43 of 133
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Quote:

Try this:

Not trying to be snarky here, honestly... but why would one do this?  All I can think of, is that your hard drive is full, and you need to free some space temporarily, and that's your only option...?

• Reply 44 of 133
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Try this:

- Try to figure out why half your songs still have album art and the other half don't.

Lemme know if you want any other sure-fire, guaranteed-to-go sideways things one might reasonably do with their media library.

I don't hate iTunes and continue to use it for reasons that are likely irrelevant to anyone else, but it'll test your patience.

I just did and everything works fine.

That's what i normally do when I have a new mac.

• Reply 45 of 133

Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Not trying to be snarky here, honestly... but why would one do this?  All I can think of, is that your hard drive is full, and you need to free some space temporarily, and that's your only option...?

You probably wouldn't do exactly that, but it's a safe and easy way to demonstrate the seemingly inconsistent way iTunes handles metadata. It exhibits similar foibles with movies and TV shows.

• Reply 46 of 133
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm sure Aperture is waiting for a new update, just like the Logic users are waiting for Logic X.   It seems that they are changing the names and adding a "X" to the end of the product name.

Remember, they might be re-writing everything from scratch. 

I wouldn't freak out.  

People just have to be a little patient.

That was fine advice for a year ago.  :  )  Seriously, Logic users are rolling back to 10.7 or even 10.6.8 if their machines will use it, like crazy because there are serious video and UI bugs where, among other things, the UI lags far behind and doesn't get updated to changes.  A dealkiller.  It's nuts.  This is not a new problem and was not fixed in 10.8.3, at least on my MBP.  Reaper runs great on ML and 10.8.3, no such issue.   Even though it's supposedly related to system level video framework I have no such problem in any other audio program.  I'm not a big Reaper fan but I own it and have moved about half of my music productions and audio mastering over to it from Logic, like many others I have spoken to, and the more I use it the less I think about Logic.    The latest ML update has been a disaster for many Logic users, where it should have been the other way around by now.  

Patience will get you so far, then you need to get your work done.

• Reply 47 of 133

Quote:

What missing features?  I thought Apple addressed all of them, especially with this new update.  What more are there missing? 

I'm not speaking of this moment, but rather the decisions an editor has to make at the product release and the following months.  This latest update is a meaningful one, but doesn't address the position editors were in in, say, Feb 2013.   As far as features that were missing or buggy, unknown if they would be implemented, I mentioned two.  Look it up if you want more.   I'm not bashing FCPX, but it's been playing catch up with critical features.  Will it finish the list?  Who knows.  Maybe.

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I know some people wanted Soundtrack, but most professionals are using ProTools or Logic.  Logic X is supposed to be out this year as it's getting a re-write.  I guess it's probably safe to say that Aperture is getting a re-write and probably going to call it Aperture X.  You know how Apple likes consistent naming.

As someone who dealt with Soundtrack for months because it had some potentially great scripting and batch rendering features, I can say without hesitation that it was a total piece of garbage with a terrible interface that wasted your time and had many functions (including batching and scripting) that were unreliable.  Logic, as I posted elsewhere, has been stumbling badly for many users with new systems.  (I also own a full PTools rig but PT doesn't offline render).  Aperture is great, my main DAM and RAW image editor, but I also own LR, which beats it handily for filters quality in general and some by a lot (noise reduction, others).  I prefer the UI of Aperture so I use it.   But Apple has finally accomplished its goal of lessening its role in pro arts environments.

• Reply 48 of 133

Quote:

[...] People just have to be a little patient.

Fortunately, no they don't. They can say "screw this" and go buy something else.

I will admit though, it's nice to know that even if an OS update causes an Apple "pro" app to quit working, at least my phone lets me easily see what my Facebook friends think of that cat video everyone is so excited about.

• Reply 49 of 133

Why doesn't the UK online Apple Store sell Mac Pro's any more? Is there going to be a replacement?

• Reply 50 of 133

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Plenty of time with iTunes and unfortunately plenty of time with many of Adobe's expensive products. I honestly don't get peoples dissatisfaction with iTunes as it is free, and it seems to work pretty well.

Free doesn't make it good. In the case of iTunes, free makes it an app that costs nothing to work moderately okay... Well does not enter into the equation...

• Reply 51 of 133

Quote:

I'm sure Aperture is waiting for a new update, just like the Logic users are waiting for Logic X.   It seems that they are changing the names and adding a "X" to the end of the product name.

Remember, they might be re-writing everything from scratch. 

I wouldn't freak out.  

People just have to be a little patient.

Patience???? Sorry but this has to be the most under-thought statement in regards to Aperture... Apple is bleeding loyal and dedicated Aperture users to Adobe because in truth, LR is miles better... No it doesn't have the file handling capabilities or the Vault feature or the Photostream (consumer crap in my opinion) but what it does have leaves Aperture in the dust...

• Reply 52 of 133
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    dave2012 wrote: »
    Why doesn't the UK online Apple Store sell Mac Pro's any more? Is there going to be a replacement?

They've removed the Mac Pro category from all the European stores because of new safety rules that came into effect early this month. There will be a replacement of some kind but not for another 4-6 months.
  • Reply 53 of 133

Quote:

i used iMovie, outgrew it, moved on to FCP Express,"

That explains a lot. I started on Avid, cutting multi cam shoots for documentaries and scientific studies. I work with teams of people - shooters, editors, sound, graphics, musicians, color timers and others. All on modest budgets with tight deadlines. I really don't have any interest in futzing around with an incomplete feature set, trying to creat workarounds for things that Premiere and Avid do natively. Especially not when everyone else I work with expects things fast and seamlessly.

Apple lost me when the upgraded to less with FCPX. Maybe I'll check back again a couple of years to see if they take the pro market seriously. Maybe I won't

• Reply 54 of 133

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

The did make Aperture updates, but nothing substantial... Where are the lens corrections, brush-in adjustments, etc... 

?  Aperture has had brush-in adjustments for a long time.  Doesn't have pixel editor type behavior, but neither does LR's.  But they've been there for ages.  

I have both and, as I said, give the nod to LR in many ways and wish Apple paid more attention to it, or at least gave the impression of paying attention to it.  But put me in the camp of people who waaay prefer Aperture's workflow to LR's, so it's my main RAW DAM.

• Reply 55 of 133

Thanks Marvin!

>They've removed the Mac Pro category from all the European stores because of new safety rules that came into effect early this month. There will be a replacement >of some kind but not for another 4-6 months.

• Reply 56 of 133
    i used iMovie, outgrew it, moved on to FCP Express,"
    That explains a lot. I started on Avid, cutting multi cam shoots for documentaries and scientific studies. I work with teams of people - shooters, editors, sound, graphics, musicians, color timers and others. All on modest budgets with tight deadlines. I really don't have any interest in futzing around with an incomplete feature set, trying to creat workarounds for things that Premiere and Avid do natively. Especially not when everyone else I work with expects things fast and seamlessly.

Apple lost me when the upgraded to less with FCPX. Maybe I'll check back again a couple of years to see if they take the pro market seriously. Maybe I won't

Yeah.. I am an amateur, or a prosumer at best... Also, I am 73 years old and pretty set in my ways.. so advice from me should be taken for what it's worth to the reader...

Most of the "incomplete feature set" issues have been resolved -- for example FCPX went from no multi-cam to what many say is the best multi-cam implementation available on any NLE?

The speed and productivity gains being claimed [by pros] for FCPX leads one to believe that FCPX is a great tool to address "modest budgets and tight deadlines".

It is interesting that other NLEs are beginning to copy FCPX features like clip skimming...

Maybe, it's time to take another look -- rather than waIt a couple of years.
  • Reply 57 of 133
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Also, I am 73 years old and pretty set in my ways.. so advice from me should be taken for what it's worth to the reader...

What it's worth, at least to me, is a testament to just how utterly wrong the naysayers are. It says, "I, though said to be stereotypically resolute in 'the old-fashioned way of doing things', and thoroughly agreed by others to be beyond my years in learning new things, have taken it upon myself to step out of the light of the familiar and into the darkness of the new. And I have not found it wanting; indeed, I have found it better."

• Reply 58 of 133
    Also, I am 73 years old and pretty set in my ways.. so advice from me should be taken for what it's worth to the reader...

What it's worth, at least to me, is a testament to just how utterly wrong the naysayers are. It says, "I, though said to be stereotypically resolute in 'the old-fashioned way of doing things', and thoroughly agreed by others to be beyond my years in learning new things, have taken it upon myself to step out of the light of the familiar and into the darkness of the new. And I have not found it wanting; indeed, I have found it better."

Yea! TS in 2016!
  • Reply 59 of 133
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Yea! TS in 2016!

Oh dear, I'll have to become invested in the PO forum… 

• Reply 60 of 133

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You have to drop this idea that the only reason people were not adopting FCPX in droves when it was first released was their resistance to a changed interface.

If you do multi camera shoots and software doesn't allow for it, then it sounds like you're suggesting to not shoot that next concert multi cam.  Sorry, you're oversimplifying the entire scenario and working it backwards to suit your opinion.  

There simply isn't any argument that exists for a multi cam shooter to use FCPX before that function was finally, magically included.   It's never been about the interface.  It has always been about function.