Apple updates Final Cut Pro X, Motion & Compressor in push to win back pro users

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 133

• Reply 122 of 133
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    philboogie wrote: »
    However, I think that all the downside limitations can be resolved, and it would be great to edit directly with your hand.

I just attended a Pro Lab at an Apple Store, using a Macbook Pro they provided. I was pleasantly surprised by the build-in touchpad, so I bought the $70 'standalone' one because 1) I liked it and 2) I've 'hammered' on my Magic Mouse as it wasn't always responding 'correctly'.

Using this Touchpad turned out to be such a great device, and 2) the Pro Lab is such a useful (and free; I'm Dutch) thing I signed up for a Final Cut Pro X Lab. The guy presenting showed be a few gestures in FCP which makes it a given this software really ought to be redesigned for touch. Feels very natural (well, to me).

Ha! I am Dutch: Knauff/Reinke on my mother's side. I agree that the FCPX UI would need to be redesigned for Touch! The Genius behind FCPX is Randy Ubillos. He also designed Adobe Premiere, FCP, iMovie (OSX and iOS) -- so I think it reasonable to think that it could be done.
    And I fully believe OSX & iOS should not be merged because of this difference. The desktop 'as we know it' uses a bitmap screen and a little pointer, moved by a mouse. This is very different from using a touchscreen, interacted with a way larger surface: out finger(s).

The difference will should always be there, so please, no merging. Not that you were implying this, sir, and going way OT. Still, seemed related.

I mostly agree...

What I don't know (and can only imagine) is how a powerful computer/os would perform on a large touch screen. Using iOS on an iPhone and iOS on the iPad is a totally different experience -- and I don't believe that iOS fully exploits the large screen, yet. So I can only extrapolate what a 27" or 30" retina touch display connected to something like the new Mac Pro would be capable of.
  • Reply 123 of 133
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    v5v wrote: »
    [...] it would be great to edit directly with your hand.

Touchscreen video editing would be almost like taking us back to where it all began -- shuttling film back and forth under the cutter with our hands.

That may not be a bad thing...

Without getting too much into it, Michael Cioni described shooting in 5K for delivery in 4K for the movie Girl With Dragon Tattoo. One of the advantages of this was that for the first time (for digital media) they were able to oversample what they shot. That meant that the director could ask the editor to stitch a scene together with shots from different takes -- combining the best individual performances. I can easily visual doing this with your hands... The discussion of 5K for 4K starts at about 13 minutes in...

I like the idea of physical controllers with dedicated knobs and/or buttons per function. That isn't always practical though, since even users of the same software set it up differently and use different plugins. To keep size and cost under control, the designer has to decide which controls to leave out or bury under menus, so affordable devices tend not to be terribly useful while devices that do a good job of it (like the Digidesign D-Command) are priced an order of magnitude beyond my reach. Touchscreens seem like a really good compromise in that they provide the same kind of hands-on intuitive operation as a control surface but with infinite customizability and substantially lower cost.

I agree! How about a 10" (or larger) iPad connected directly to a Mac with a Lightning USB 3 cable?

Graphics Tablet, Custom AV Editing Control Surface... you name it!
  • Reply 124 of 133
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    So I can only extrapolate what a 27" or 30" retina touch display connected to something like the new Mac Pro would be capable of.

"Make the touchscreen 30" and you'll rule videoland."

Actually, that might be too big. But I have seen your video post on that guy behind a really large touchscreen and that indeed seemed to work very well.
  • Reply 125 of 133

I was using Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3 as a hobby editor for months without updating it, on my Mac Mini late 2009 with 8 GB Ram. 

Last week I updated it straight to 10.0.8 and man what a major change that is, not only a huge amount of new features are in, but most important it is much faster and much more stable than before. 

The only regret I have is that I didn't update earlier, a lot of time I could have saved!

• Reply 126 of 133
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post

I was using Final Cut Pro X 10.0.3 as a hobby editor for months without updating it, on my Mac Mini late 2009 with 8 GB Ram. 

Last week I updated it straight to 10.0.8 and man what a major change that is, not only a huge amount of new features are in, but most important it is much faster and much more stable than before. 

The only regret I have is that I didn't update earlier, a lot of time I could have saved!

It is pretty nice in its current version.

Though I have used FCP at work for rather simple stuff (joining clips made in other animation apps), I really started exploring FCPX about two months ago and love it, and it has opened gotten me interested in video again as a free time pursuit.  So much so that I decided to upgrade my video and photo cameras, changing from photo-focused to video-focused.  Gone are a bulky DSLR with a heavy lens that maxed at 250mm and an older vid cam with 60i and a meager 10x lens.  

My new camera is a Sony HX50 (small, portable, 30x optical zoom, 60p full HD).  Of course there were trade-offs, but it is always with me, whereas the DSLR stayed home most of the time.  30x zoom is just not possible on an iPhone.  And for video, I took the plunge and ordered a Canon XA20 with 20x optical zoom and 60p, with the option (in Japan; in the US it is standard) of adding a handle with XLR inputs and better IR).  [Canon doesn't sell the HF G30 in Japan for some reason.]  I like filming birds and would love to finally put together a decent project presenting the birds where I live.  One species in particular is dwindling year by year and I don't know how much longer I will have to film them.  Another species just will not come close enough for a 10x zoom to catch (I've tried asking them but they don't seem to listen image); tests with the HX50 show 20x will work well enough, 30 is even better; will try out digitall zoom soon.  The wireless control also is a boost.

Back to FCPX:

Synchronize clips.  Wow.

Then there is blue/green screen.  This is downright fun and useful.  

Then there are plugins.  Them be fun, man!

• Reply 127 of 133

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

It is pretty nice in its current version.

Though I have used FCP at work for rather simple stuff (joining clips made in other animation apps), I really started exploring FCPX about two months ago and love it, and it has opened gotten me interested in video again as a free time pursuit.  So much so that I decided to upgrade my video and photo cameras, changing from photo-focused to video-focused.  Gone are a bulky DSLR with a heavy lens that maxed at 250mm and an older vid cam with 60i and a meager 10x lens.  

Nice.

But I have to retract a bit my enthusiasism for Final Cut pro X 10.0.8. I ran into some problems with my project. At the start of the project it was snappy and fast as it can be, way faster than with 10.0.3, and more stable, but when I neared the end of the project, it became slower. 

Part of the problem is also that whenever I combine two clips into one an additional clip gets generated in the list, so that at the end of the project I have a 2 hour long clip that I want to export and 11 clips that were generated along the way. Obviously that many clips and the overlaying videoclips used in the project reduced the original snappiness of it. But worse, when I want to export the file as Pro res proxy with about 15 GB as target-size, Final Cut pro X 10.0.8 shows me the beachball and it stays beachballing and doesn't export. On the screen is only shown the information that it prepares the media-clips for export, but then hangs in there. 

Using the activity-manager I saw that Final Cut ProX tried to load the whole project into RAM, eating up all of my 8 GB RAM, before it would export, and the CPU-usage exceeded 100% and then there stands "Final Cut Pro doesn't react".

So obviously Final Cut Pro X 10.0.8 runs into problems when the project gets bigger and more complex. 

• Reply 128 of 133

Update to the problem described in my last posting:

I found a solution: After erasing my whole event-folder, and reimporting a previous version I exported a few days ago, and then doing again the last few editings I was able to export the 2 hour file problemfree and Final Cut Pro X 10.0.8 is again as snappy as it ever was.

So obviously it's not the amount of footage (2 hours), but the file-structuring in the event-window that causes the problem. When there are many clips listed it somehow causes a bug where the same footage from the multiple clips gets crammed into RAM, so that a multitude of 2 hours footage is being processed causing the beachball-experience and the eating up of all of my RAM and more (using disk-swapping).

This is obviously a bug and it hasn't been solved since 10.0.0. 

So for me as a workflow-solution trying to circumvent the bug, I will have to export my edit-footage every once in a while so I have something to fall back upon, when that phenomenon inevitably reappears. Then I'll have to erase the event-folder and starting with a clean slate, reimporting the last exported edit-file and redoing the last few editings and continue from there.

Apple needs to find a way to fix this so that this emergency-workaround is not necessary. I don't think that professional editors will bear with such a bug for long.

• Reply 129 of 133
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Send them some feedback.

I tend to work with short stuff so I would never have run into that one.

• Reply 130 of 133

Got a new XA20 tonight... finally a camera that suits FCPX! 

• Reply 131 of 133
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Got a new XA20 tonight... finally a camera that suits FCPX! 

Enjoy! This might become a turning point in your career. Camera looks great, Vimeo has nice example footage.
  • Reply 132 of 133

But I have to retract a bit my enthusiasism for Final Cut pro X 10.0.8. I ran into some problems with my project. At the start of the project it was snappy and fast as it can be, way faster than with 10.0.3, and more stable, but when I neared the end of the project, it became slower. 

Part of the problem is also that whenever I combine two clips into one an additional clip gets generated in the list, so that at the end of the project I have a 2 hour long clip that I want to export and 11 clips that were generated along the way. Obviously that many clips and the overlaying videoclips used in the project reduced the original snappiness of it. But worse, when I want to export the file as Pro res proxy with about 15 GB as target-size, Final Cut pro X 10.0.8 shows me the beachball and it stays beachballing and doesn't export. On the screen is only shown the information that it prepares the media-clips for export, but then hangs in there. 

Using the activity-manager I saw that Final Cut ProX tried to load the whole project into RAM, eating up all of my 8 GB RAM, before it would export, and the CPU-usage exceeded 100% and then there stands "Final Cut Pro doesn't react".

So obviously Final Cut Pro X 10.0.8 runs into problems when the project gets bigger and more complex. 
    Update to the problem described in my last posting:
    I found a solution: After erasing my whole event-folder, and reimporting a previous version I exported a few days ago, and then doing again the last few editings I was able to export the 2 hour file problemfree and Final Cut Pro X 10.0.8 is again as snappy as it ever was.

So obviously it's not the amount of footage (2 hours), but the file-structuring in the event-window that causes the problem. When there are many clips listed it somehow causes a bug where the same footage from the multiple clips gets crammed into RAM, so that a multitude of 2 hours footage is being processed causing the beachball-experience and the eating up of all of my RAM and more (using disk-swapping).

This is obviously a bug and it hasn't been solved since 10.0.0. 

So for me as a workflow-solution trying to circumvent the bug, I will have to export my edit-footage every once in a while so I have something to fall back upon, when that phenomenon inevitably reappears. Then I'll have to erase the event-folder and starting with a clean slate, reimporting the last exported edit-file and redoing the last few editings and continue from there.

Apple needs to find a way to fix this so that this emergency-workaround is not necessary. I don't think that professional editors will bear with such a bug for long.

Maybe I can help...

Part of the problem is also that whenever I combine two clips into one an additional clip gets generated in the list,

at the end of the project I have a 2 hour long clip that I want to export and 11 clips that were generated along the way.

This indicates to me that you may be attempting to use FCPX "compound clips" as a substitute for FCP7 "nested sequences". You can do this, but it works differently by default -- and can have unexpected results.

I think what you describe as a "bug" may be just FCPX doing what you have told it to do by not having overridden its defaults. One easy way to see what's happening is to show the FCPX Event folder in the finder -- where you can monitor the size and number of clips as you go through the process.

Here's a good discussion about the subject:

[VIDEO]

HTH, Dick
  • Reply 133 of 133

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Enjoy! This might become a turning point in your career. Camera looks great, Vimeo has nice example footage.

Ooh, this baby is nice.  So nice that I ordered the handle and got it today (this brings me up to how the XA20 is sold in the US).  Gotta charge the battery (will buy a 2nd soon once I know my usage needs) and then have some fun with IR tonight!  Now to find a bag for it...

Having too much fun right now. 

Work?  What's that?