Facebook to reportedly unveil iOS competitor at April event

Comments

• Reply 61 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

But I thought Android fans preferred stock Android and not these custom skins like Sense, TocuhWiz, etc.

• Reply 62 of 105
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I think it makes sense.
    Using the iOS app I've many times been thinking to myself "yep, this is what the Facebook phone OS will be like".. It doesn't even have to deal with sms, mms, app stores or anything. It's just Facebook.. and they have it all under one roof. It'll probably be free and ad based. *shrug*
  • Reply 63 of 105
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Finally! FacebookOS, with all the stability of windows, the privacy of gmail, and twice the ads as the last half hour of a major sporting event. I for one happily await the twice each morning ritual of tryin to find the new privacy settings.
  • Reply 64 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Because the barriers to entry are very low... and Microsoft's is at its absolute weakest in this market in terms of influence and marketshare. These guys could've just as easily forked Linux to create a Facebook PC OS, but no one would use it because of Windows' near universal dominance there, with Mac OS X grabbing the rest of the non-Windows pie.

Talking about the walking dead aka Microsoft, I am still half expecting Microsoft to throw in the towel and fork Android themselves so as to have any footprint that's measurable on the mobile OS arena.
  • Reply 65 of 105
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    tzeshan wrote: »
    I have an excellent idea.  Apple could modify its iOS to allow customers to customize the UI to whatever they like.  So Facebook can provide not just apps but UIs to its members to modify iPhone/iPad.  Apple will still provide whatever service that Facebook choose to keep.  User can go to Facebook.com to convert his iPhone to Facebook iPhone or to Amazon.com to convert to Amazon iPhone.  When he gets tired he can convert it to other iPhones easily.  

While not dismissing the idea, however much it makes my skin crawl (but that's a personal view from someone who avoids full blown social networking) ... I'd love to sit in on a meeting where Jony Ive is discussing his new concepts for a flatter iOS and OS X when someone suggests this ...
  • Reply 66 of 105
    How many incompatible versions of Android will there be? Google will have to come up with the Android VM for smart phones so users can decide which Android OS to run to execute the app they want.
  • Reply 67 of 105
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

It helps that Netflix collects at least $8 a month from millions of customers.

It sounds like Facebook developing its own mobile OS to finally make some money from its mobile users.

Why do you guys keep saying Facebook doesn't make money from its Mobile customers? All the so called experts called Facebook's Quarter strong because it netted $64 million on 1.6 billion of revenue. It beat market expectations by 40 percent, and 23 percent of it's earnings were from Mobile Advertising, which was up 14 percent in the previous quarter. Check it out.

Further, a forked Mobile OS will stink because it will be based on old versions of Android. I also don't think the amount of users Facebook has is relevant to whether this decision is smart. I have four Facebook accounts. Two for business, and two personal one's I never use. The first one I opened in a fake name just so I could check out stupid photos people would want me to see. 

• Reply 68 of 105
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    r00fus wrote: »
    The "FacePhone" would have one major selling point - you might never have to dial or type an email address again. Hell they could even market it as your social advisor.

Never underestimate the willingness of the public at large to give up vast amounts of their privacy and security for convenience.

100% Agree.

Here in Germany we have some of the most strict personal data privacy laws in the world, that every organization and business must respect... with almost no exceptions.

The German people on the other hand, and especially the "old-enough-to-know-better-and-they-voted-for-these-laws" crowd... is amazing me with their complete acceptance and willful sharing of just about everything in their lives over Facebook. For many, Facebook IS the internet these days.

You would think that I'm against facebook... while i don't use it personally... for many older clients of mine... I think it is the better and SAFER alternative than for example email and clicking through phishing ads, etc.

It's my job... and all you other technically inclined folks with parents, grandparents, etc... to help these people set up a modicum of security on Facebook.

Believe me, it's a heck of a lot easier than trying to reinstall a malware, rooted, virus-infested PeeCee!

Pro Tip: set 'em up with secure settings in Facebook... and then sell 'em an iPad! No-More-Pee-Cee™ 8-)

Added: I stated a year ago that I think Google will eventually stop adding to the Open Source side of the Android project. Well this year almost for sure if the trend of developing Android just adds features for the "F*or*ckers" with no benefit to Google i.e ad revenue.

Considering that Google is hell-bent on cleaning house and focusing, at some point don't they have to consider whether the high cost of developing Android is worth it?
  • Reply 69 of 105
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Weather app will send push notifications of the weather where all your friends are.

*Shake to NOT post* technology.

Deep integration with app and game invitations.

All photos automatically run through latest trending Instagram filters for your convenience.

Facial recognition technology to unlock phone but will only recognize duckfaces. 

OMG WHERE CAN I GET THIS

• Reply 70 of 105
    tzeshan wrote: »
    I have an excellent idea.  Apple could modify its iOS to allow customers to customize the UI to whatever they like.  So Facebook can provide not just apps but UIs to its members to modify iPhone/iPad.  Apple will still provide whatever service that Facebook choose to keep.  User can go to Facebook.com to convert his iPhone to Facebook iPhone or to Amazon.com to convert to Amazon iPhone.  When he gets tired he can convert it to other iPhones easily.  /s

There. Fixed it for ya.
  • Reply 71 of 105
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

While not dismissing the idea, however much it makes my skin crawl (but that's a personal view from someone who avoids full blown social networking) ... I'd love to sit in on a meeting where Jony Ive is discussing his new concepts for a flatter iOS and OS X when someone suggests this ...

This will release two big criticisms of Apple one being too controlling the other being iOS UI have not changed since beginning.  Apple will start giving user CHOICE.  And the responsibility will be the user and companies like Facebook or Amazon, or News Corp, or ...

• Reply 72 of 105
    rogifan wrote: »
    But I thought Android fans preferred stock Android and not these custom skins like Sense, TocuhWiz, etc.

That's only the Android fans. The other 90% of Android users, don't even know what Android is... or even care. Ask Samsung.
  • Reply 73 of 105
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Weather app will send push notifications of the weather where all your friends are.

*Shake to NOT post* technology.

Deep integration with app and game invitations.

All photos automatically run through latest trending Instagram filters for your convenience.

Facial recognition technology to unlock phone but will only recognize duckfaces. 

OMG WHERE CAN I GET THIS

:D Good one... especially "Duck Faces" :p
  • Reply 74 of 105
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    100% Agree.

...For many, Facebook IS the internet these days...

This reminds me of AOL. Back in its day, it was the Internet for all who used it.
  • Reply 75 of 105
    $12/yr subscriptions. That'd likely be way more they need to run operations even after lots of people drop it because they won't pay. Of course, they'd be leaving money on the table from people who might have paid more, and not getting anything from markets where they can't accept payments, and they'd have been better off doing this before going public, and therefore not worried about how a declining subscriber count would affect share price.
  • Reply 76 of 105
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 77 of 105
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Those who sacrifice privacy/security for convenience deserves neither.

Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither and will lose both.

• Reply 78 of 105
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Can I have a Youtube video of that meeting?

• Reply 79 of 105
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Does your skin crawl seeing a Mac running Windows OS?

• Reply 80 of 105
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Hmmm... that would also give new "home" on Android a double meaning.

Exactly, that's why I think it's a new homescreen launcher.

Also, perhaps part of the rumors come from HTC getting an early exclusive with it.  Then Facebook releasing it later to all other devices.

We'll see.