Best Buy to give Samsung Apple-esque in-store mini-stores

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by drwam View Post

Wow. Samsung is so creative!

Problem is that they are going to run out of Steve Jobs old ideas eventually.

The other problem is that Apple will run out of them too.

More so Steve's implementation of those ideas.

By the way... the Galaxy S4 already shows that Samsung has nothing.

• Reply 22 of 44
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

What the **** does Samsung have that is unique? The Apple mini stores made sense because Apple's computers ran a completely different OS, as well as having identifiably different aesthetic for the hardware. Samsung needs their own ministore, because...they have phones running the same OS as every other phone out there, and with uninspired build quality than is no better if not worse than everything else out there? There's nothing unique or special about the Samsung brand, besides the ludicrous amount of marketing they shove down people's throats. 

• Reply 23 of 44
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

This should be good for both Companies.  It won't save Best Buy, but it should help a little.

• Reply 24 of 44

Not to pile on, but to echo a few posts above...

I'd rather go into a Walmart than a Best Buy.

I find BB depressing with all the clutter and crappy products.

I understand the need for security, but I find it stifling and it makes me feel uncomfortable. 

I really avoid going to BB. The last I went I looked at TV's but new I was going to buy somewhere else.

BB reminds of Circuit City....ugh! :)

• Reply 25 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Uncannily Applesque = blatant copycat.

Once you get past 'pride' and 'integrity' the world really opens up. All sorts of barriers disappear You are liberated to walk in shame with you head held high.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    drwam wrote: »
    Wow. Samsung is so creative!
    Problem is that they are going to run out of Steve Jobs old ideas eventually.
    The other problem is that Apple will run out of them too.

Nonsense. We all know Apple copied Samsung, back in 1995 when they opened the first "Apple store within CompUSAs". /s
  • Reply 27 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

I really doubt this will help Best Buy very much, ours is empty most of the time.

in the land of BestBuy (the 5 stores on the 494 strip in the Richfield/Bloomington/Eden Prairie/MOA/Edina region).... we see things like this all the time, typically in the appliances section (a Viking stove center, a LG kitchen center, etc.)

The curious thing will be if this rumor is true about centering on the Galaxy S4...  Apple's area just has laptops and desktops and iPads, no phones, no explicit networking (Time Capsule, Airport E*).   And Apple typically has Retail stores nearby (same strip has 2 Apple Stores, and there are 4 more in the Mpls/Stp Area).

Phones sell in comparison to each other.  Maybe in China... where you buy a 'brand' (and BestBuy learned this the hard way), and other 'brand conscious' geo regions... but in BestBuy US, we comparison shop, and to break out an S4 part of the store will likely cause a drop in S4 sales.   Other than NASCAR types, we rarely buy entire suites of products from one brand (I love the couple shopping in the head to toe his and hers M&M Racing outfits, including motorcycle helmets...  I'd hazard to guess the color scheme on the minivan;-).

Eventually, This will have to shift, as 'ecosystems' sell, not components.  But only when Samsung's phones and tablets are uniquely integrated into operating samsung TVs and refrigerators.

• Reply 28 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

The Apple mini stores made sense because Apple's computers ran a completely different OS, as well as having identifiably different aesthetic for the hardware. Samsung needs their own ministore, because...they have phones running the same OS as every other phone out there, and with uninspired build quality than is no better if not worse than everything else out there? There's nothing unique or special about the Samsung brand, besides the ludicrous amount of marketing they shove down people's throats. 

not exactly.  It was less about the 'different OS' and more about the 'same OS' (not loaded with vendor specific helper apps and crapware)

Apple realized that desktops and laptops and 'pro systems'  in the typical bestbuy store were in different parts of the store.  Apple realized that the person who buys an Apple device was committed to an apple device the moment they lingered in front of one... the key sale experience was 'which one'  Showing 8 different computers with the same interface (try doing that with HP, Lenovo, Dell, Insignia, Asus, EMachines), was a key selling point for apple consumers, as it

a) demystified the buying of an apple computer

b) set it apart from the not-so clones 

c) made the buying decision much easier (the hook), in that if you bought one and you later decided you'd rather have a different form factor, you already knew which one you would buy (you'd done your A/B test in the store...

d) upgrades and follow-on purchases are easier... when you needed that laptop for your daughter going to college, you would say, 'I know the white macbook is the one for you, because I almost bought it when I bought the iMac')  .

Apple's MiniStores were a joint agreement between Apple and BestBuy to improve product knowledge of a smaller set of 'Blue Shirts,' (sold what they were told, and were typically just working for the discount) and from apples perspective, to get them far away from the black shirts (Geek Squad), who 'sold what they knew' (and also to get the maintenance contract, which AppleCare obviated).  Apple wanted a 'AppleStore Lite' experience in areas where they couldn't support an Apple Store, and also knew exactly what people hated about BestBuy Technical sales (as BestBuy knew it too... heheheh... that customer centricity study they did in the 2003 timeframe explained to them how much the blueshirts were dispised by just about every type of BestBuy buyer).

• Reply 29 of 44
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm glad they put up the big 'Samsung' sign. Customers wouldn't be able to tell the difference from Apple's products simply by looking at the products.

that....was funny! :-)

• Reply 30 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Too bad only the 200 people who still visit Best Buy ghost towns these days will ever see it.

yeah....for BestBuy this is a no brainer....they are probably begging companies to buy floor space from them.....and probably very cheap too! BB continues to lose customers to online sales....

• Reply 31 of 44
    Wow...there are a lot of people commenting on here that really have no clue about what they are saying.

Most of my Best Buy stores in this area see more than 1000 customers per day, 2000 on weekends.

Best Buy is still cheaper than most other stores and if not they price match. They may upsell but the salespeople do not make commission, so if they are recommending a product to you, they may see a reason why it will help you instead of trying to fill their own pockets.

This will be a great addition as Samsung is the current number 2 in tablets and smartphones.
  • Reply 32 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

It won't save Best Buy, but it should help a little......

.... if the revenue from doing it exceeds the costs (since it's not free to do).

• Reply 33 of 44

Quote:

Originally Posted by trvlguy01 View Post

Wow...there are a lot of people commenting on here that really have no clue about what they are saying.

Most of my Best Buy stores in this area see more than 1000 customers per day, 2000 on weekends.

Best Buy is still cheaper than most other stores and if not they price match. They may upsell but the salespeople do not make commission, so if they are recommending a product to you, they may see a reason why it will help you instead of trying to fill their own pockets.

This will be a great addition as Samsung is the current number 2 in tablets and smartphones.

hmmm... most news agencies are saying just the opposite...but your one store might be the exception. But BB will need more than one store....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pf_article_112269.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2012/03/best-buy-to-close-stores-slash-jobs/

http://money.msn.com/investing/why-best-buy-is-destined-to-fail-forbes.aspx

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/best-buy-shrinks-showrooming-persists-804617

• Reply 34 of 44

It'll be the opposite of Apple.

The Apple section at my BB has a few tables to show the products and and three whole aisles of accessories.

Samsung will have ten tables to show off their gazillion different smartphones and tablets in ten sizes and a small panel in the corner with all the accessories.

• Reply 35 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Best Buy needs to do some serious lobbying about sales taxes. People coming in to Best Buy to shop around and then buying it online to save sales taxes must be hurting them a lot.

In all honesty in my case I don't do it because of sales taxes. I simply don't go there any more period. I get free next day or soon there after from Amazon with a far easier and better selection system. My mouse rather than my car, gas and walking. Terrible I know but it's true. I even buy my guitar strings on line now! If all the Amazon stuff had sales tax it wouldn't change my shopping methods one iota. I suspect I am not alone in this paradigm shift.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    In all honesty in my case I don't do it because of sales taxes. I simply don't go there any more period. I get free next day or soon there after from Amazon with a far easier and better selection system. My mouse rather than my car, gas and walking. Terrible I know but it's true. I even buy my guitar strings on line now! If all the Amazon stuff had sales tax it wouldn't change my shopping methods one iota. I suspect I am not alone in this paradigm shift.

Maybe not, but there are plenty of people who DO buy online after shopping at the local stores, so my point is still valid. I never claimed that EVERYONE did that.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 38 of 44
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

I don't, but I assume Apple is doing something, I don't know why BestBuy would agree to it otherwise. I'm sure whatever agreement they have is confidential. But no, I do not know for sure.

I forgot Target and Walmarts have these now too.

You readily admit that you don't know, so your assumptions are not based on any evidence, so therefore your assumptions are about as useful as the countless rumors that are published everyday and presented as fact.

• Reply 39 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Maybe not, but there are plenty of people who DO buy online after shopping at the local stores, so my point is still valid. I never claimed that EVERYONE did that.

I'm sorry that you felt my reply required shouting at me. I don't see where I claimed everyone did anything, one way or the other. I was referring to paradigm shift based on convenience for many rather than tax avoidance. I'm sure there are many reasons, we both mention one.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    In all honesty in my case don't do it because of sales taxes. I simply don't go there any more period. I get free next day or soon there after from Amazon with a far easier and better selection system. My mouse rather than my car, gas and walking. Terrible I know but it's true. I even buy my guitar strings on line now! If all the Amazon stuff had sales tax it wouldn't change my shopping methods one iota. I suspect I am not alone in this paradigm shift.

I find many items on Amazon that even if sales tax was added it would still be less expensive than buying it locally, so no you're not alone and one of the reasons I believe for Amazon being such a Wall Street darling.