Apple gov't rep says next two iPhones were designed under Steve Jobs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    razyboy wrote: »
    why don't they just come out with needing to type a password in order to shut the phone off? wouldn't that prevent all iphones from being stolen if the thieves don't know the password to shut the phone down? (and thus the phone is always traceable)

The problem with requiring a password is then what happens when the phone locks up? Sometimes a forced shut down is the only way to resolve a software issue.
  • Reply 42 of 61
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Why would a govt liaison have any idea about future iPhone designs? This DA is just looking national exposure. Idiot.

Read the original article.

The DA asked for help stopping all the thefts, perhaps by adding some kind of software.  

The Apple rep basically stalled by saying that they couldn't do anything right now because their next phones had already been designed even before Cook took over.

• Reply 43 of 61
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">Read the original article.</span>

The DA asked for help stopping all the thefts, perhaps by adding some kind of software.  

The Apple rep basically stalled by saying that they couldn't do anything right now because their next phones had already been designed even before Cook took over.

I still don't buy it. Again, Apple never leaks future designs or indicates there will be new designs.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Yes, that's what they were told.

Thing is, iOS 8 isn't done yet. Neither is iOS 7. And the hardware for both the 7th and 8th iPhones aren't finalized, either.

Know why they were told this? Because Apple doesn't have to add SQUAT to their software that they don't want to. "It's out of my hands" is code for "Who the heck do you think you are?"

• Reply 45 of 61
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

Until such time as Apple can come up with reliable keyed tech (like a thumbprint or voice recognition - color me skeptical), the high volume of theft will not diminish. It will never end. Heck, even with current passwords, I'll bet I can guess most in '1111' tries...

Um how about Apples purchase of Authentec on July 27th, 2012?  One of the best fingerprint scanner companies in the world.  Then after the purchase told all of Authentecs customers that there tech would not be available to them anymore.  It would only be used for Apple.  There scanner is self contained and cant be fooled by dead body parts (like cut off fingers) because of the way it works.  Its actually very new tech and one of the reasons that apple bought the company, the sensor is so small and is self contained that it could be put behind the glass of an iPhone screen or even in the home button.

Here's AI's Article on the tech Apple bought:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/11/new-rumor-points-to-fingerprint-sensor-nfc-e-wallet-in-apples-next-iphone

• Reply 46 of 61
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    There are a lot of weird comments in this thread.

The problem with requiring a password is then what happens when the phone locks up? Sometimes a forced shut down is the only way to resolve a software issue.

I've proposed a version of razyboy request in the past where I've noted your very concern. It would be great if a thief couldn't easily shutdown the phone. What I proposed was the software shutdown requiring a PIN number but the hard reset function (holding down Sleep and Home buttons) would actually do a restart, not just a shutdown. I think this is possible.
  • Reply 47 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Very believable to me. I work for a pretty large organization and they already have road maps for 2016-2017. And that's in the insurance sector.

SJ left a game plan, it isn't hard for me to believe that plan was 2-3 years out.

I work with a cosmetic company and they have a roadmap through 2020. It's pretty complete. Now, like any roadmap it's open to tweaking as time goes on, but there is a plan. I expect Apple's planning while Jobs was alive is a lot like that.

• Reply 48 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Instead, [San Francisco's District Attorney George] Gasc?n said the meeting with Apple?s government liaison Michael Foulkes was "very underwhelming," and added, "he did most of the talking. It was incredible. He would just go on and on, one subject to the next. It was hard to follow. It was almost like someone who?s been trained in the art of doing a lot of talking and saying nothing."

Hello Kettle? This is Pot. You're black.

Odd how a "government liason" might be trained in the art of talking like a politician.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    I call B.S. as well. Apple probably told Gascon this as an excuse not to add the requested functionality to the next few phones. "Oh...we can't do that, they're already designed."

It sounds like something I might say to a client: "Oh..well the roadmap is already locked for this year. We'll consider that enhancement for next year."

Also, I suspect Apple was loathe to even consider any change based on the request of one D.A. from one city. Apple doesn't make products for San Francisco. They make products for the world.

Having said that, while I wouldn't want to have to use a password to shut the phone off (and the battery would eventually run out anyway), it does make sense to have a remote kill switch for which you do have to know the password.

Stolen iPhones are not just a problem in San Francisco. It apparently accounts for most of the crime in the NYC subway system as well.
  • Reply 50 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Know why they were told this? Because Apple doesn't have to add SQUAT to their software that they don't want to. "It's out of my hands" is code for "Who the heck do you think you are?"

Of course.  Everyone, including the DA, knows that the Apple rep was using long-term planning as a smoke screen to cover not implementing anything right away, for whatever real reason they might have.

The only point I was making, is that the DA didn't come up with the story that years of iPhones were planned before Cook took over.   The Apple rep was the one who said that.

Cheers!

• Reply 51 of 61
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »
    Of course.  Everyone, including the DA, knows that the Apple rep was using long-term planning as a smoke screen to cover not implementing anything right away, for whatever real reason they might have.

The only point I was making, is that the DA didn't come up with the story that years of iPhones were planned before Cook took over.   The Apple rep was the one who said that.

Cheers!

So you have the direct quote from the Apple rep?

Then again, why would a politician lie about Apple? /s
  • Reply 52 of 61

I don't know how Apple works internally, but Apple is known to develop products fairly quickly.  For example, the original iPod was developed in 8 months, from the time they assemble the engineers to shipping. And I think it is reasonable to assume the iPad mini was developed from conception to production in less than 1.5 years.  I certainly hope to see Steve Jobs' finger prints in future Apple products, and I agree Job's vision is often 10 years or 20 years ahead of time.   It is just incredible that the products itself were developed 4 years ahead.

• Reply 53 of 61
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    lecorsaire wrote: »
    I don't know how Apple works internally, but Apple is known to develop products fairly quickly.  For example, the original iPod was developed in 8 months, from the time they assemble the engineers to shipping. And I think it is reasonable to assume the iPad mini was developed from conception to production in less than 1.5 years.  I certainly hope to see Steve Jobs' finger prints in future Apple products, and I agree Job's vision is often 10 years or 20 years ahead of time.   It is just incredible that the products itself were developed 4 years ahead.

Evidence? What credible source claims that the iPod went from conception to shipping in 8 months? That's the absolutely unbelievable part.

Read Jobs' biography. The iPad was in the works for at least 5 years - probably more. And I don't doubt that they have products in the lab that will not see the light of day for 5 more years.
  • Reply 54 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

So you have the direct quote from the Apple rep?

Then again, why would a politician lie about Apple? /s

*grin*  Okay, that's true.  We don't have a tape of the direct quote, only what the DA said the Apple rep said.

Of course, if the Apple rep never said it, this entire thread is moot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Read Jobs' biography. The iPad was in the works for at least 5 years - probably more. And I don't doubt that they have products in the lab that will not see the light of day for 5 more years.

Well, depends on what we consider "in the works".   Sure, screwing around with MacOS tablet prototypes had been going on for years.  Capacitive screens and finger UIs and even some case ideas apparently came along in 2005. So did some testing with a clickwheel phone UI. But that was all just general R&D, not work on a shipping product.

The actual production iPhone/iOS project was reportedly done pretty quickly.  Various histories and interviews agree that the shipping iPhone project (Purple 2) didn't ramp up with lots of hardware workers until late 2005, and porting OSX into iOS started at the beginning of 2006.  

So it was just a little over a year from the serious product development decision, to first public demo of iOS on the iPhone.  (Plus another six months after debut for tweaking before sale.)   Remarkable, really.

E.g. Wired - History of the iPhone

• Reply 55 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Evidence? What credible source claims that the iPod went from conception to shipping in 8 months? That's the absolutely unbelievable part.

Check wiki for iPod or Jon Rubinstein

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Rubinstein#Developing_the_iPod

Rubinstein first saw the 1.8 hard disk in Feb. 2001.  The first iPod was released on Oct. 23, 2001, before the holiday season.

• Reply 56 of 61
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    jacodb wrote: »
    Steve Jobs passed away the day AFTER the unveiling of the iPhone 4S.
    I was right!
    Do people really believe smartphones are designed and developed within a few months time? Of course, Apple plans several years ahead of releases.
    Yes most people believe that, I believed that apple started work on its 7th iPhone around the summer of before Steve died, but obviously that must be wrong, I still believe it is within a month of when it is finalized(maybe already done) but also on another topic is the IOS 7 already almost finished in works and the IOS 7.1 already in stage one of development.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    Nah. If they failed to release iTunes 1 month after the one they said they would it wouldn't seem like they do that. Remember the Apple Maps? Yeah, they had aquired the tech company that designed the flyover months before they launched the iPhone 5.

Most likely we'll just get colorful iPhones with iOS 7 that includes more Web OS Style design. Since Jony designs simple things, it's probably just more futuristic and silvery blue.

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/23102/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Something tells me if widgets exist in the next iOS they'll be some size changing elements like assistive touch.
  • Reply 58 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkdefender View Post

Most likely we'll just get colorful iPhones with iOS 7 that includes more Web OS Style design. Since Jony designs simple things, it's probably just more futuristic and silvery blue.

Jon Ive likes to channel Dieter Rams, so I expect a UI with the same philosophy:  black, silver, grey, white... with simple, clean, geometric shapes and outlines.

However, it's well known that blues look futuristic, which is why so many TV/film (and Android) UIs use blue, so you're probably right about that color as well.

• Reply 59 of 61
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by dark defender View Post

…Web OS Style design. 

What does that mean?

• Reply 60 of 61
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    It's a given that the ideas behind iPhone 5 and 5S were planned when Steve was alive, this doesn't mean every conceivable technical was finalised or set in stone for these models! Blind Freddy can already see what the 5S will bring as all the S models before have done.

I think the iPhone 6 will be the first design for which Steve had little input or at the most only vague predictions. Unfortunately, we have to wait for the iPhone 6 to see the direction that Tim wants to take the iPhone.