Apple's hiring of ex-Segway robotics expert fuels speculation of 'fantastic' future products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 69
    isn't this the company whereby the owner himself rolls off the cliff with his own segaway...
  • Reply 22 of 69
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wharzhee View Post

isn't this the company whereby the owner himself rolls off the cliff with his own segaway...

I've never tried a Segway, but I'd like to someday.

As for the owner who died, he didn't have anything to do with the development of Segway, he was just some rich guy who had bought the company and had owned it for less than a year before the accident.

I guess the moral of the story is that it's probably not a good idea to ride anything close to the edges of a cliff, including bicycles, cars, Segways etc.

What about automobiles? More than a million people die each year in road related deaths.

When I do eventually get to try a Segway for the first time, I'll be sure to stay away from any cliffs.image

• Reply 23 of 69
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    carthusia wrote: »
    I understand your point, but consider this: a major complication (if not THE major complication) with robotic manufacturing is how humans and robots work together. How will robots perceive and learn human intentions and vice versa are huge conceptual, theoretical and engineering questions. We are far from the point that robots can take over all of the manufacture of an Apple product, so how is safety, efficiency, and QA maximized in a human/robot production milieu?

A major skill and, by extension, objective of Cook as CEO is to maximize product manufacture efficiencies. Project out a decade or two and consider how massive the markets for Apple products will be, especially smaller and harder-to-manufacture portable devices. <span style="line-height:1.231;">Another thing about Cook is that he understands better than anyone on the planet, IMO, that although competitors may be able to copy some of Apple's UI ideas and form factors, it will be very, very difficult for them to copy high-efficiency operational and manufacturing processes that help yield their over-the-top profit margins. Apple's next big thing may not be a product, but very well be a set of revolutionary robot/human manufacturing processes.</span>

This may be what you guess the major automation challenge to be. But it does not reflect reallity.
  • Reply 24 of 69
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member

Tomorrow Samsung publishes pictures of their vision of Segway that happened to be in works for several years.

• Reply 25 of 69
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    I think I read it on AI, but there was an article at some point last year that revealed Jobs' vision for Apple to someday design and build cars. Not that it could be related to this guys experience in robotics. I would love to see an apple designed car.
  • Reply 26 of 69
    j1334 wrote: »
    Factory automation.
    That's the most plausible explanation I've heard!
  • Reply 27 of 69
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Ever since Apple announced the new building, that they were going to keep the current campus and the construction of all the server farms, I have speculated that Apple was going to enter completely new business areas and one primary area would be robotics.

My prediction is that in 15-20 years, Apple's primary business will be robotics.
  • Reply 28 of 69
    duplicate, sorry
  • Reply 29 of 69
    duplicate, sorry
  • Reply 30 of 69
    stelligent wrote: »
    Your wish will come true this year. There is a pretty serious rumor going around (but not here?) that Apple has already approached some former MP users who have switched to Windows.
    It was CNet's April fools joke rumor. AI covered it but then took the post of the main page when the gag was revealed.
  • Reply 31 of 69
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Kamen: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.

Cook: Yes, sir.

Kamen: Are you listening?

Cook: Yes, I am.

Kamen: 'Ginger.'

Cook: Exactly how do you mean?

Kamen: There's a great future in 'Ginger.' Think about it. Will you think about it?

• Reply 32 of 69

Dean Kamen is the Edison of our time. I begged many times for him to speak at our university. Anything coming from his camp is a plus for Apple. And as far as MBPr to Win, my stuff was simple. I wanted a light keyboard with the numbers to the side and a 17in. monitor on a laptop. I didn't care about the weight... that's for the iPad and Nexus. To each their own.

• Reply 33 of 69
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    desuserign wrote: »
    <dd style="line-height:19px;margin-left:1.6em;margin-bottom:.1em;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:13px;">
    <div>Kamen: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.</div>
    <div>Cook: Yes, sir.</div>
    <div>[SIZE=13px]Kamen: [/SIZE]Are you listening?</div>
    <div>[SIZE=13px]Cook: [/SIZE]Yes, I am.</div>
    <div>[SIZE=13px]Kamen: 'Ginger[/SIZE].'</div>
    <div>[SIZE=13px]Cook: [/SIZE]Exactly how do you mean?</div>
    <div>[SIZE=13px]Kamen: [/SIZE]There's a great future in 'Ginger.' Think about it. Will you think about it?</div>
    </dd>

Not what you meant but I'm posting it anyway…. :D

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 34 of 69
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 585member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This may be what you guess the major automation challenge to be. But it does not reflect reallity.

Because you know the reality? I genuinely am curious about your ideas.

• Reply 35 of 69
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Not what you meant but I'm posting it anyway…. image

In truth, I am a person who lives with the condition known as, "Gingervitis!"

• Reply 36 of 69
    stniukstniuk Posts: 90member
    icar, electric cars.
  • Reply 37 of 69
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Cue the rumors. This confirms the iCar. V1.0 single seater
  • Reply 38 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Not yet but in 1000 years it would be all too common.

Nope. In 1000 years if they feel mistreated they will kill the bosses. Skynet overrules Asimov

• Reply 40 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Your wish will come true this year. There is a pretty serious rumor going around (but not here?) that Apple has already approached some former MP users who have switched to Windows.

April fools day joke however Tim Cook himself leaked that something is coming this year. We jut don't know what or when