Rumor: iOS 7 to see significant overhaul, development running behind schedule

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post

More engineers is not always better!

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

I was just going to post something about this. Thanks :)

• Reply 22 of 91
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Just curious what Gruber's track record is?  Since Rene Ritchie is reporting something similar it leads me to believe there's something to this rumor.  Especially since developers haven't heard boo about iOS or OS X yet.  Don't they normally hear about it in Feb/Mar?

• Reply 23 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Doesn't Apple have enough money to hire some more good engineers?

Isn't the reason that Apple is creating a new campus is because of this issue? I thought I read things stating that Apple could not hire enough people because there just isn't enough room where they are currently located!

• Reply 24 of 91
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Delay in iOS 7 may prove costly - it may mean delays in iPhone 6 or whatever if the new hardware has features requiring an updated OS. Hopefully not - Apple has seen significant fall off in iPhone sales prior to new model launches as people hold off purchasing to get the latest.
  • Reply 25 of 91
    I don't trust the team who put together launch pad and stacks and finder to build a better iOS. Sorry if that breaks your fan club rules. Not a fan.
  • Reply 26 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Delay in iOS 7 may prove costly - it may mean delays in iPhone 6 or whatever if the new hardware has features requiring an updated OS. Hopefully not - Apple has seen significant fall off in iPhone sales prior to new model launches as people hold off purchasing to get the latest.

How is delay a problem when no dates have been announced?  The rumored dates we've heard are all over the place.  Plus couldn't the same be said for the competition?  Flagship phones from Samsung and HTC are on pretty predictable schedules.

• Reply 27 of 91
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

"Gruber claims that iOS 7 development is "running behind," prompting OS X 10.9 engineers to be pulled from their work to lend a hand in getting the mobile OS ready in time for launch."

I am curious why this is happening again. It first happened with the development of the original iPhone and iOS causing delays for a Mac OS update Wouldn't you think that Apple with all their billions would hire more engineers in general to handle these inevitable development overloads? Maybe I'm wrong and throwing warm bodies at the problem is not the right way . . . but it seems like something needs to change.

I don't think you understand how development works. It's not like every person added wil automatically make the job faster. Every extra person adds inefficiency. You can't just hire willy nilly when you're in a crunch. A balance has to be made, and I think one of Apple's greatest strengths has always been smaller teams, which lessens bearaucracy and increases the pace of progress with decisions made quicker and with a more united team. 

• Reply 28 of 91
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post

A universal UI needs to be implemented between iOS and OS X. Hopefully sooner than later. This will surely benefit new Apple customers with ease of use and familiarity between the iOS devices and Macs. The experience is too messy right now. Do it right though, Apple, even it if takes time.

Perhaps they are making the iOS 7 UI like  SL 10.6 !  image

• Reply 29 of 91
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So, if Apple is moving away from rich-texture designs and is opting for simple, then what's the point of a retina display, if the OS won't be taking full advantage of it? I'm not sure what I think of this new direction, but I guess that we'll know soon enough.

As for OS X and iOS, I hope that an OS X user sitting on a Mac Pro is not using an iOS desktop in the future. As for me, I haven't upgraded past Snow Leopard yet, and it's not because I don't have 19 dollars.

I love the retina display on my iPhone4.  Oh well only 9 months to go on it's contract and  it's in great shape.

But I could use 32GB.

Yes I'm also still on SL, but Apple not updating SL is starting to become a problem.

I'll probably move beyond SL when I get one of the new very powerful Macs.

• Reply 30 of 91
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

I'm sure iOS 7.0 will borrow from OSX 10.8.  There are many GUI features that can be brought over and will work well on iOS.  Especially if the screen grows in size.

I'm looking forward to iOS 7.0 but we'll see what comes at WWDC in June and then full release in September.

• Reply 31 of 91
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

"Gruber claims that iOS 7 development is "running behind," prompting OS X 10.9 engineers to be pulled from their work to lend a hand in getting the mobile OS ready in time for launch."

I am curious why this is happening again. It first happened with the development of the original iPhone and iOS causing delays for a Mac OS update Wouldn't you think that Apple with all their billions would hire more engineers in general to handle these inevitable development overloads? Maybe I'm wrong and throwing warm bodies at the problem is not the right way . . . but it seems like something needs to change.

The problem with software development, or any development, is that you don't know what problems you will run into until you do. By then, hiring more people and having to ramp them up just gets in the way. Having a way to test early and fix quick, such as the Agile process is going to be the best you have with working through problems. 

• Reply 32 of 91
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

A universal UI needs to be implemented between iOS and OS X. Hopefully sooner than later. This will surely benefit new Apple customers with ease of use and familiarity between the iOS devices and Macs. The experience is too messy right now. Do it right though, Apple, even it if takes time.

I hope not. Sure, using some elements may be good, but universal for different platforms? Or I guess I should ask, such as what? 

• Reply 33 of 91
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    cash907 wrote: »

Ya know Rag, when you try to beat them to it, it becomes sort of a self fulfilling prophecy.

And my only complaint with iOS is that last part you mentioned: It's stale. Not the UI, the OS itself and it's functionality. There is a lot that Android clearly wins at when it comes to innovation, and I would really like to see Apple try some new things and shake it up a bit. You know what I miss about the early days of the iPhone? That "wow" factor. When you pulled one out in public, people instantly cluttered around it because it looked like nothing else out there. The same goes for products like the original iPod, the iPad, heck even the iMac. A friend of mine who works for AT&T corporate has been field testing the new HTC One, and he gets the same reactions when using it in public that I used to with my iPhone. People are excited, ask questions, want to try using it. I don't think Apple has seen anything like that since the 4 was released, and that's sad.

Did you miss the part about living in the real world where you only see people getting excited about new things?

They don't get excited about old familiar things because they're old and familiar, see?

The HTC is interesting because it is a new phone, a nice-looking one for a change. Get it?

The iPhone's operating system is a mature product, and its familiararity makes it easier to use. In fact it gets better with age, like many other things in life.

What is stale is this miserable cliché that you somehow can repeat with a straight face. I wonder how, actually.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by khit View Post

iOS is very good OS. I hope Apple will add widgets in the next OS.

The problems with widgets are it sucks resources like RAM, Battery, CPU, especially if you have several running at the same time.

• Reply 35 of 91
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

No, no, no. User interfaces should be built around the way a user interacts with the system. A single unified UI for mouse/trackpad+keyboard and touch would be a messy disaster that doesn't satisfy either group of users. If you don't believe me, just look at Windows 8!

However, Apple should unify their APIs to make it much easier to port between the two platforms.

• Reply 36 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This is quite possibly the biggest and most important software overhaul in Apple's history. The stakes couldn't be any higher.

Hyperbole much ...?

• Reply 37 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So let's see if I can predict the FUD that's going to come from the usual trolls:

Why bother? No, really. Why?

What you are doing is as tedious as posting "First!" in  a thread.

• Reply 38 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beezlegrunk View Post

Hyperbole much ...?

WWDC will come around and people will be disappointed because the change isn't as massive as the media hype was.

• Reply 39 of 91
    The high-resolution , Retina display, is best suited for text and high resolution images, ie from a camera or on a webpage, it is not about showcasing the OS user interface, which by most definitions should be simple and not distracting

Cheers !
  • Reply 40 of 91
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So, if Apple is moving away from rich-texture designs and is opting for simple, then what's the point of a retina display, if the OS won't be taking full advantage of it? I'm not sure what I think of this new direction, but I guess that we'll know soon enough.

As for OS X and iOS, I hope that an OS X user sitting on a Mac Pro is not using an iOS desktop in the future. As for me, I haven't upgraded past Snow Leopard yet, and it's not because I don't have 19 dollars.

1. Most people I know, including me are doing more with our devices the staring at the UI.

2. Actually the visual difference between Retina display and "normal"- display, is not dependent on the complexity of a Logo/ Symbol.