Rumor: iOS 7 to see significant overhaul, development running behind schedule

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    vorsos wrote: »
    I think they have a disclaimer that news is sorted by when it's "added to Google's index."
    But my Google results have generally been getting worse lately, since it tries to incorporate more 'close enough' results, synonyms of my search terms. Last week I searched for stuff related to TPAC (the Topeka Performing Arts Center) and most of the results were about Tupac Shakur.

I agree. I'm getting tired of carefully crafting search terms and then having it deliver a page that's not even close - and often doesn't even contain some of the terms I provided.

What happened to searching for what I ask for?

Unfortunately, Bing is only slightly better in this regard.
  • Reply 62 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

You forgot:

- Apple is just copying Halo and Metro

It's Holo, not Halo.

http://developer.android.com/design/style/themes.html

• Reply 63 of 91
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorsos View Post

Scaling back on textures and glitz does not require rigorous testing, and I think that's all this rumor adds up to. New features and under the hood improvements are what need rigorous testing. These delays are more likely to be from rewriting iOS in assembly than from a few UI tweaks.

Instead of rewriting in assembly they would be better served using their existing Objective C (and C) experience to write the OS, and use the compiler team to generate the assembly. Would be faster and produce faster code.

I do think that iOS 7 is a big rewrite, under the hood iOS 6 had very little, and the features ( Maps, Passbook, even the phone stuff) were all teams which sat on top of the OS. The API churn was the least ever.

• Reply 64 of 91
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Ok, I can accept OS X 10.9 being late for this.
  • Reply 65 of 91
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I don't think you understand how development works. It's not like every person added wil automatically make the job faster. Every extra person adds inefficiency. You can't just hire willy nilly when you're in a crunch. A balance has to be made, and I think one of Apple's greatest strengths has always been smaller teams, which lessens bearaucracy and increases the pace of progress with decisions made quicker and with a more united team. 

Rationalizations aside, didn't Apple run into the same lack of resources problem before with previous versions of iOS?  What did Apple learn from that previous experience, and what are they doing now to address the issue and prevent it from happening again in the future? Does Apple even think it needs to be addressed?

And what about the public perception that Apple creates by pulling development away from Mac OS?  Didn't that also create a lot of internal conflict within Apple during Forstall's days?

• Reply 66 of 91

A redesign of iOS UI is not a redesign of iOS. I expect iOS and OS X to merge much of their functionality, though not soon -- too difficult and the hardware has not been developed. Keeping the API the same as more functionality is added is far easier than changing the UI since that MUST impact the look and feel of all applications. Apple certainly does not want to double the size of the UI API to accommodate older apps. 

Apple certainly does not want to make the same mistakes as Microsoft whose OS still maintains backward compatibility with DOS from the 1980s, and Windows from the early 1990s. Tricky problems, solutions of which will not make everybody happy. 

• Reply 67 of 91
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

I think they have a disclaimer that news is sorted by when it's "added to Google's index."

But my Google results have generally been getting worse lately, since it tries to incorporate more 'close enough' results, synonyms of my search terms. Last week I searched for stuff related to TPAC (the Topeka Performing Arts Center) and most of the results were about Tupac Shakur.

Prior to a week or two ago when I would do a google news search and sort by date it would sort based on how recently something was added.  When I do a search right now the first item I see is 2 hours old and 8th item is 1 minute old.

• Reply 68 of 91
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    That it's behind is actually a good news since it shows how much work they are putting on it. Some people said iOS7 wouldn't be redesigned. They were wrong. I can't wait, never been so excited about a redesign since Leopard.
  • Reply 69 of 91
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Everyone is correct that throwing more people at something doesn't help, at least if they're new people.  It takes longer to get them integrated into the project than it does for oldtimers to just do the work themselves.  

So no, hiring more people now would not help immediately.  (It'd be good for the future.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Rationalizations aside, didn't Apple run into the same lack of resources problem before with previous versions of iOS?  What did Apple learn from that previous experience, and what are they doing now to address the issue and prevent it from happening again in the future? Does Apple even think it needs to be addressed?

In the past, when Apple has been asked why they pull people from one major project to work on another, Apple has replied that they like operating like a startup... lean and mean.  (Also known as being cheap and overworking people.)

This concept, plus the way that many companies operate these days (as if developers are interchangeable parts) seems to be some kind of mistaken managerial fantasy, if you ask me.

Some intermix of projects is good, but whenever you shift people around from their own projects, things get lost in the shuffle, like deep testing of New Year's Day calendar problems.   At least, this is what I've seen in my 30+ years of experience at companies big and small.

• Reply 70 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

So, if Apple is moving away from rich-texture designs and is opting for simple, then what's the point of a retina display, if the OS won't be taking full advantage of it? I'm not sure what I think of this new direction, but I guess that we'll know soon enough.

As for OS X and iOS, I hope that an OS X user sitting on a Mac Pro is not using an iOS desktop in the future. As for me, I haven't upgraded past Snow Leopard yet, and it's not because I don't have 19 dollars.

You are mistaking flat textures with removal of textures altogether. Android is pretty flat, yet it's full of textures. And anyway, even a line looks better (sharper) on retina than on a low res screen.

I'd love to see an OS with white and grey textures.

• Reply 71 of 91

Quote:

Scaling back on textures and glitz does not require rigorous testing, and I think that's all this rumor adds up to. New features and under the hood improvements are what need rigorous testing. These delays are more likely to be from rewriting iOS in assembly than from a few UI tweaks.

They aren't just switching textures obviously, so they need to test the OS. They'll obviously add new features too so that people won't complain.

• Reply 72 of 91
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Apple could just make everyone happy and make iOS theme-able. Then you could choose a flat look, the current look, or even a dark look, or whatever. I don't get why Apple holds the user hostage in the personalization department. Things can be theme-able without ruining consistency and nature of the UI.

• Reply 73 of 91
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I hope removing bitmaps for all that skeuomorphic crap will reduce memory use and CPU waste. I hope they decide to work on efficiency on existing hardware. As is, ios updates being free has been cool but really just a way to encourage people to buy new devices, as each successive ios version is slower and more bloated and make existing devices feel like crap, instead of the fantastic user experience they provided previously.
  • Reply 74 of 91
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

The problem with Themes. 

You lose your brand

Ugly themes come to be seen as the norm

• Reply 75 of 91
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    ruel24 wrote: »
    Apple could just make everyone happy and make iOS theme-able. Then you could choose a flat look, the current look, or even a dark look, or whatever. I don't get why Apple holds the user hostage in the personalization department. Things can be theme-able without ruining consistency and nature of the UI.

No, not really. Plus, it's bloat just to make such a feature. It serves no purpose but for geeks that like to customize to ridiculous levels. All such experiences I've had with other product, such skinning leads to slow GUI responsiveness, poor functionality, bloated memory and storage requirements and tons of needless complexity for bugs to appear.
  • Reply 76 of 91
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

My vote, as far as customization is concerned, is for the default window UI elements to be hardware color coded. Black iPhones get black window dressing, white ones get white. The stock Music app (iOS 6) is a good way to see both right now, with a white browser and black 'now playing' area.

Apple already made the iOS 6 toolbar color change to match the current app's window UI color. They aren't completely averse to my suggested level of... modifiable consistency.

asdasd View Post

Vorsos View Post

These delays are more likely to be from rewriting iOS in assembly than from a few UI tweaks.

Instead of rewriting in assembly they would be better served using their existing Objective C (and C) experience to write the OS, and use the compiler team to generate the assembly. Would be faster and produce faster code.

I know; my assembly example was facetiousness. As in, "These delays are more likely to be from adding a Start menu than from a few UI tweaks."

Haggar View Post

And what about the public perception that Apple creates by pulling development away from Mac OS?  Didn't that also create a lot of internal conflict within Apple during Forstall's days?

I assume that the reorganization that followed Forstall's departure (hardware, software, online services) eases such frequent developer shuffling. That said, I prefer the idea of individuals being intimately familiar with one product's codebase; we would have fewer "overhauls" of iLife and other apps.

ruel24 View Post

asdasd View Post

Ugly themes come to be seen as the norm

Exactly. You might end up with one or two half-decent themes, but the first two theme-able apps I can recall are Firefox and Winamp; I'll bet over 95% of all their themes are just a single giant image that spans the UI. I haven't browsed the iOS jailbreak scene, but does it have any standout themes?

• Reply 77 of 91
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

Quote:

Exactly. You might end up with one or two half-decent themes, but the first two theme-able apps I can recall are Firefox and Winamp; I'll bet over 95% of all their themes are just a single giant image that spans the UI. I haven't browsed the iOS jailbreak scene, but does it have any standout themes?

Reading here

http://www.saurik.com/id/9

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/02/08/best-cydia-themes-winterboard-ios-6/

• Reply 78 of 91
    scadesscades Posts: 35member
    A universal UI needs to be implemented between iOS and OS X. Hopefully sooner than later. This will surely benefit new Apple customers with ease of use and familiarity between the iOS devices and Macs. The experience is too messy right now. Do it right though, Apple, even it if takes time.
  • Reply 79 of 91
    scadesscades Posts: 35member
    No! This is the mistake MS made with Windows 8. The mouse or touchpad-driven interface that is so powerful for a vertical monitor is vastly inefficient for a horizontal, touch-driven hand-held device, and vice-versa.
  • Reply 80 of 91

Steve Jobs would have iOS 7 done by next Tuesday with teams working 24/7. Tim Cook is great but he can't crack the whip like SJ could.

EDIT: /s