'Sense of crisis' at Samsung could affect patent disputes with Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Samsung's chairman sees a need for a "sense of crisis" at his company, with rumors suggesting a shakeup could be coming in the company's ongoing patent disputes with Apple.

To date, Samsung and Apple have been in adamant opposition against one another in a series of patent infringement suits filed around the world. But that could change after Samsung's Lee Kun-hee recently returned from a three-month trip to Japan and Hawaii, according to The Korea Times.

flattery

Lee has a history of taking lengthy overseas trips before making major changes at Samsung, including new directions for the business and managerial changes. The chairman has been on 20 such trips since 1993.

Sources who spoke with the Korean publication indicated that Samsung's ongoing patent dispute with Apple is one of "several pending issues" that Lee plans to personally consider. Just last week, a judge with the International Trade Commission ruled that Samsung's products are infringing on an Apple patent related to text selection on mobile devices.

As part of its anticipated changes, Samsung may also reportedly seek a way to "cut reliance on its mobile business." Lee met with reporters at Gimpo International Airport upon returning from his three-month sabbatical, where he said he believes Samsung should "always have a sense of crisis," and strive to "run faster and always study to have insights."

Any changes the chairman plans to implement could be announced as soon as Wednesday, when he plans to meet with reporters once again.

Lee's return comes only days after Samsung announced that its profits were up 53 percent year over year in the first three months of 2013 to 8.7 trillion won, or $7.7 billion U.S. The sales, which came ahead of the launch of the company's flagship Galaxy S4, were believed to have been primarily driven by low- and mid-level smartphones.

Separately, a new report from Korea's ETNews on Monday claims that Samsung is working on a smartphone with a large 6.3-inch display. The handset, which would double as a "smart pad," could launch as early as June, the report said.

Samsung, and the rest of the smartphone industry, have been trending toward larger screens in recent years. Apple even followed last year with the iPhone 5 debuting a 4-inch display, though at that size it still remains one of the smaller screen options on the market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    I have an idea for Apple. Want to efficiently manage skus? Add phone capabilities to the LTE iPad mini. BUT!!!

Don't worry about having 2 skus. Just use a lenticular package.

Customer: "I want an iPad mini with Cellular"

Apple Store: "Here you go. Just make sure the top of the box is always closer to your eyes than the bottom"

Next customer: "I want an iPhone max"

Apple Store: "Here you go. Just make sure the bottom of the box is always closer to your eyes than the top"

Next customer: "I can't decide if I want an iPhone max or an iPad mini"

Apple Store: "No worries! You can have both! Just move the box back and forth"

Plus, think of all the "you're holding it wrong" jokes!
  • Reply 2 of 52
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Personally, I have yet to see someone holding one of these behemoths to their ear and talking on it. I don't get it I guess.

• Reply 3 of 52
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Personally, I have yet to see someone holding one of these behemoths to their ear and talking on it. I don't get it I guess.

I think most people use the really big ones as a mini tablet with a data connection with the phone part more there as an emergency than anything else.

• Reply 4 of 52
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    The only 'crisis' they should be having is a crisis of conscience.

All else is bogus. Like the 'sabbatical' in Hawaii.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I don't know what's worse, posting crap about Google, Samsung etc and justifying it belongs here and on the front page cause they are Apple competition (I say out it backpage or even just in forum for those that really care). Or lumping two to three things in one article.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Apple could drive Samesung's innovation more smoothly and reduce the Korean's tensions if it leaked a little more...

• Reply 7 of 52
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    The crisis is coming from their north, not their east....
  • Reply 8 of 52
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I think most people use the really big ones as a mini tablet with a data connection with the phone part more there as an emergency than anything else.

Gotta admit though that Hawaii is a neat destination for a sabbatical. Been there, done that. :)

• Reply 9 of 52
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    Looks like Samsung is reading US history books from the 80's when the huge boom boxes were in vogue. Now those behemoths are seen more as a joke in movies and advertisements. After manufacturers tried making things bigger, they discovered these didn't work so they started making things smaller. Everything is cyclical but some things should never come back....
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Most phones are used for data consumption & texting & when used for phones used while driving connected to cars blue tooth. Main reason Apple has been fighting big phones IMO cannibalization of tablets & possibly APPs working seamlessly on different size screens.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Crisis must be in the air. Samsung commercials saturated my TV last night. One was a carrier commercial implying unlimited data plans require a Samsung device. The only break I saw was an Amazon Fire HD commercial that I originally thought was an Apple commercial because most of it was spent showing off an iPad.

• Reply 12 of 52
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Most people spend more time using their smatphone in their hands (texting, emailing, using apps, browsing the web, etc) than speaking on them, so I think it makes sense to have a bigger screen even if it makes you look like a doofus when you do take a call.

• Reply 13 of 52
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Maybe "sense of urgency" is more what he meant (mistranslation)?

• Reply 14 of 52
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member

This could be mostly BS -- just management propaganda designed to motivate employees. 

But it would be more interesting to consider the possibility that he's serious, and to guess at what he sees as Samsung's primary problem. 

I'll guess that he's worried that Samsung's current boom in mobile profits is about as sustainable as Motorola's or Nokia's in years past. And the reason for that worry is that Samsung does not control a platform -- there is no reason for consumers to consistently prefer a Samsung phone to any other Android phone. If Samsung loses a product cycle to another Android manufacturer (Motorola, backed by Google $$, could be a contender, as could any given Chinese firm backed by the Chinese government, could be another), then Samsung could be in trouble. And of course Samsung is in the process of losing its largest customer for semiconductors -- a business that could have been much more reliable over time than mobile. 

But if this is right, what should Samsung do about it? 

I see two options:

(1) fork Android and become a platform company, not just an OEM

(2) take the profits they've made in mobile, reinvest in the rest of the business, and return to being a reliable supplier to companies like Apple instead of competing with companies like Apple. With such a reinvestment, Samsung could displace Intel and TSMC as the premier semiconductor firm in the world. 

Option 1 is probably the riskiest -- the highest upside and downside potentials. 

Option 2 is safer yet still very rewarding. 

So, put another way, Samsung's choice is to either become the next Apple or the next Intel.I have no idea what they'll pick, but I think attempting to displace Intel is the smarter choice.

• Reply 15 of 52
    andre402andre402 Posts: 19member

So it says the chairman has a 3-month hawaii vacation every year (for the last 20 years). Sure one can come up with excuses like "need to make structural changes" to justify the trip. Nothing newsworthy.

• Reply 16 of 52
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    The only 'sense of crisis' Samsung should be concerned about is the one dealing with that little pip-squeak from North Korea who could turn up the temperature at Samsung headquarters a few thousand degrees! Now THAT'S Global Warming!
    /
    /
  • Reply 17 of 52
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    RE: A sense of panic: It's a great thing, especially after good financial news. Keep the level of urgency up. Squeeze every last drop of efficiency out of your organization, scrutinize your investments, question you plan. Kudos.

RE: Posting "news" about Samsung and Google: What Apple news is there to share on this Apple news site? Rumors? Short of that, news about their competitors will do, no? Or would you have this site go dark between product launches?
  • Reply 18 of 52
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Good observation; with all a phone can do these days, the device is rarely used for its primary purpose.

• Reply 19 of 52
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poke View Post

Most people spend more time using their smatphone in their hands (texting, emailing, using apps, browsing the web, etc) than speaking on them, so I think it makes sense to have a bigger screen even if it makes you look like a doofus when you do take a call.

What people seem to be ignoring is that a tablet + iWatch-type front end device solves the "holding a frisbee to your ear" problem. The mini (8 inches diagonal) makes it easy for women to carry the tablet part in their purse...

• Reply 20 of 52
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I hate to say this, but the Asian as bigger sheep than most of the consumers in the US. This smart phone is a whole Asia thing.

Over 10 yrs ago there was the movement in Asia to make things as small as possible, the cellphone were so small they were barely usable. Then Apple came out with a phone which was about the perfect size, it fit well into your hand and did what you wanted. The same is true about the tablet market. Now you have this trend of phones getting bigger since bigger display are obviously better. Just like the tiny phones of 10 yrs ago, which were barely usable as phone, so are these big smart phones. I have seen these phablets in use and they silly watching people hold them up to their head.

Again, if you want to know what matters in technology, watch the kids, most everyone one of them stick their phone in their back pocket and fitting a phone much larger than a iphone does not work.