Foxconn sees 19% decline in sales after 'disappointing' demand for Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ah, ok got it. Has Foxconn ever commented the cause of production being up or down? I'm assuming they can't say anything that would give too much of an insight into iPhone sales, considering they manufacture for more than just Apple.

In a broken down by client way, not that I recall. And likely not in regards to Apple since they consider that a huge trade secret.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    A bunch of BS, they act like Foxconn only makes Apple product and Apple uses more than one Contract Manufacturer. Foxconn makes products for 100's of company so having a few seeing a few % decline and add up to 19% easily.

Someone is yet again trying to manipulate the stock.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

All public data? To the best of my knowledge there isn't any data for the last quarter that is any less speculative than the above analysis.

Another 2 weeks and we'll know.

Of course.

The public data that I was referring to was from the previous quarter. If the iPhone 5 was breaking records in the previous quarter, it seems unlikely that sales are down more than 19% YoY for the most recent quarter.

• Reply 44 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    A bunch of BS, they act like Foxconn only makes Apple product and Apple uses more than one Contract Manufacturer. Foxconn makes products for 100's of company so having a few seeing a few % decline and add up to 19% easily.

Someone is yet again trying to manipulate the stock.
    At least it's not working....stock up ~$8 so far today.
  • Reply 45 of 78
    retrogusto wrote: »
    Of course.

The public data that I was referring to was from the previous quarter. If the iPhone 5 was breaking records in the previous quarter, it seems unlikely that sales are down more than 19% YoY for the most recent quarter.
    Well that WSJ story from a couple months ago was a total WTF story but everyone reported it as if it was fact. So even things that don't make sense or seem unlikely get reported because the media knows it will generate clicks on their sites.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I warned Cook last year that if he didn't include the flux capacitor there would be a significant drop off in sales in the later quarters.

I rather see the Corbomite case incorporated. (I think we just gave away our ages...)

• Reply 47 of 78
    I said it when the leaked designs of the iphone came out that it was going to lose Apple its mojo. It should have produced something like the HTC One. Whats the fascination of making the phone thinner with chamfered edges when you have to buy a case to prevent it from being damaged. TBH the only thing I really like about my 5 is maps and the flyover feature.

Apple need to raise their game otherwise only the fanbois will be buying their overpriced phones
  • Reply 48 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

Of course.

I don't think the article stated a 19% YoY drop. To me it says that the drop in fiscal q2 2013 from fiscal q1 2013 is greater than the drop in fiscal q2 2012 from fiscal q1 2012 and they were expecting less of a drop or equal.

• Reply 49 of 78
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    The so called "Apple tax" should be forever more known as the "Quality tax" because you always "pay more" for quality but, in return, you always receive more "value". Consumers who cannot distinguish "price" from "value" are forever doomed to be a frustrated lot who lives out their lives surrounded by crap!
  • Reply 50 of 78
    morgajx wrote: »
    I said it when the leaked designs of the iphone came out that it was going to lose Apple its mojo. It should have produced something like the HTC One. Whats the fascination of making the phone thinner with chamfered edges when you have to buy a case to prevent it from being damaged. TBH the only thing I really like about my 5 is maps and the flyover feature.

Apple need to raise their game otherwise only the fanbois will be buying their overpriced phones
    I don't have a case on my iPhone 5. Oh and the HTC One had chamfered edges too.

Gotta love how people except the premise of things without ever questioning their accuracy.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple Go Private! Apple Go Private!

At this point when they announce that, I literally want Tim Cook to walk off the stage flipping the bird to the shareholders.

LOL! I want him to walk off the stage and keep on walking right out the door until he fades into the sunset. 

Not very realistic, AAPL going private.

• Reply 52 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

LOL! I want him to walk off the stage and keep on walking right out the door until he fades into the sunset. 

Not very realistic, AAPL going private.

I think we have to wait until Q1 2014 before passing too much judgement on Cook. If there is a drop from Q1 2013 then, yeah, consider giving him his walking papers. Trouble with that, though, is finding someone who is more capable. Pickings are slim.

• Reply 53 of 78
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Apple is obviously doomed¡ image

This may be a running gag, only this time there are real YoY declines. Apple offer only 1 new model of iphone and it accounts for 70% of its income.  Its a financial timebomb, the risk for investors is huge.

Maybe Apple will diversified its iphone lines and maybe Apple will introduce something new.  Currently Apple needs to do both just to keep its earnings, otherwise its going down like a rock.

• Reply 54 of 78
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

Fanboys and critics crack me up.  To one group it means nothing and to the other it means the stock is doomed.  There is certainly evidentiary value in Foxconn's drop in revenue.  With Apple making up 40-70% of their sales (depending on which source you use) it would be virtually impossible to for Apple to not be part of that decrease and certainly would indicate an increase was out of the question.  However, do we know if the cost per unit dropped? Do we know if Apple started using other suppliers?  Do we know why the holiday quarter came in at 988 billion v 1 T?

One thing we do know is last quarter (the holiday quarter) Foxconn did less in sales (988 billion) than the quarter (1 Trillion) we are using to compare to this quarter so why would that be the case?  Now I dont know if that quarter is historically the strongest for Foxconn as it is for Apple, but if so it would appear any "drop" started prior to this quarter. In my opinion we really need to know how last quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago since we know iPhone sales were at record numbers last quarter and yet that quarter was even lower than the quarter they are comparing this quarter too.

• Reply 55 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Apple offer only 1 new model of iphone and it accounts for 70% of its income.  Its a financial timebomb, the risk for investors is huge.

Why? Have they heard about a little thing called iPad?

• Reply 56 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I don't have a case on my iPhone 5. Oh and the HTC One had chamfered edges too.

Gotta love how people except the premise of things without ever questioning their accuracy.

Rogifan I think you mean accept not except because I do question the accuracy of statements made

Only kidding, no offence meant :)

If Apple had produced the HTC One with IOS it would have fitted in with the look of the mac lineup and would have been a monster seller. That was my point

• Reply 57 of 78
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Why? Have they heard about a little thing called iPad?

If the ipad numbers continu to rise it helps diversified Apple line. But the income % coming out of the iphones is still to high, a major drop on iphones will tank the EPS and Apple valuation could go from undervalue (PE < 15) to horrible (PE will increase because EPS went down because the PE is price/annual EPS).  

Thats the risk with companies on the decline, valuation seems good, invertors often oversell at the first sign of growth deceleration. The ball is in Apple camp, it has to prove it can at the minimum avoid YoY EPS declines. Best scenario we get back to growth, but it wont happen until Apple can prove its still in the game. We need new product cycles and hopefully a new product.

I need a pop on "anything" so I can dump 50% of my LEAPS. This stock is now way to risky for my taste. 

• Reply 58 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    morgajx wrote: »
    I

Yup fanbois buy 3-4 iPhones each qtr. how else to explain the record numbers year after year that dwarf the Mac (the original fanboi item) numbers.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

...I thought Foxconn just manufactured for Apple....

Holy crap!  You're kidding, right?!

ATTN: ALL PEOPLE OF PLANET EARTH....    BEHOLD THE POWER OF THE MEDIA!

(hugs 'n kisses from Mike Daisey)

• Reply 60 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphdaily View Post

Went to the Apple store yesterday and NOBODY was at the iPhone table. The phones were sitting there untouched.

This takes the prize for 'moronic post of the day.'