Foxconn sees 19% decline in sales after 'disappointing' demand for Apple's iPhone

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ralphdaily wrote: »
    Went to the Apple store yesterday and NOBODY was at the iPhone table. The phones were sitting there untouched.
    This takes the prize for 'moronic post of the day.'

I think the poster was already feeling good about him/herself, but now gets a prize to boot. I wish I was more like this poster ¡
  • Reply 62 of 78
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Yup fanbois buy 3-4 iPhones each qtr. how else to explain the record numbers year after year that dwarf the Mac (the original fanboi item) numbers.

...are you being serious?

• Reply 63 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    sol77 wrote: »
    ...are you being serious?

No. Just replying back to morgajerx.
  • Reply 64 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    herbapou wrote: »
    This may be a running gag, only this time there are real YoY declines.

Really? Where's the evidence for that?

All we have is some analyst predicting a YoY decline. But given how bad analysts' predictions about Apple have been for the past decade or so, that's a long way from a 'real' decline.
  • Reply 65 of 78
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Methinks the Reuters "reporter" missed some nuancy stuff from Mr Kuo. Here is Kuo saying that Apple was sending more assembly to Pegatron, middle of last month:

http://www.mactrast.com/2013/03/kuo-apple-will-diversify-iphone-manufacturers/

C'mon AI, make some phone calls or something. Daniel, could you pull the plug on this trough of troll feed?
  • Reply 66 of 78
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

What seems to be undeniable is that the IPhone 5 isn't selling as well as previous versions in Apple's core markets. You could say that it hasn't been perceived as a big enough upgrade versus the 4S to persuade existing customers to switch. I remember someone describing the iPhone 5 as iPhone 4s ii.

I don't think the 5S can get away with being simply the same iPhone 5 design with a bump in specifications. There is genuine demand for an iPhone line-up that offers a range of screen sizes.

What do you mean by iPhone 5 "design" ?

• Reply 67 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    isaidso wrote: »
    What do you mean by iPhone 5 "design" ?

And why hasn't this "genuine demand" that has existed since the original iPhone not made the iPhone the worst selling phone with the lowest profit?
  • Reply 68 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Tim Cook needs to reveal a bit of his "pipeline choke full of great products" to the world.

Your implication being that Apple has never gone this long without a product change before?

Otherwise we will end up the same like last year, when Apple launched 6 major products back to back in the span of a few months.

Your implication being that this is somehow "bad"?

Yeah, it actually was. And in conjunction with starting the dividend at that same time, instead of holding that off for later to help support the stock when most needed.

• Reply 69 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

What seems to be undeniable is that the IPhone 5 isn't selling as well as previous versions in Apple's core markets. You could say that it hasn't been perceived as a big enough upgrade versus the 4S to persuade existing customers to switch. I remember someone describing the iPhone 5 as iPhone 4s ii.

So your friends are idiots. The iPhone 5 is dramatically different than the iPhone 4S.

Regardless, you're just plain wrong. The iPhone 5 has outsold previous versions handily. So your 'undeniable fact' is just plain wrong.

Please. Show me where I can confirm this. I can't tell you how much I want this to be true. Just tell me where I can get that information.

Thanks. (sincere)

• Reply 70 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

What seems to be undeniable is that the IPhone 5 isn't selling as well as previous versions in Apple's core markets.

Citation needed.

You could say that it hasn't been perceived as a big enough upgrade versus the 4S to persuade existing customers to switch.

You could, but you'd be laughed at by anyone who cared enough about the device to know they wanted to buy it.

I remember someone describing the iPhone 5 as iPhone 4s ii.

Take note; that person was an idiot.

There is genuine demand for an iPhone line-up that offers a range of screen sizes.

There is a fabricated demand, you mean.

• Reply 71 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralphdaily View Post

Went to the Apple store yesterday and NOBODY was at the iPhone table. The phones were sitting there untouched.

This takes the prize for 'moronic post of the day.'

Hey. you gotta cut him some slack.

There was a time when I would walk into an Apple store, and you had to wait in line at a table just to be able to touch one.

It's not like that now. Anyone can see that that's the case.

What does it mean...? We'll find out soon enough.

• Reply 72 of 78
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member
    rogifan wrote: »
    What stats do you have to back this up? Apple doesn't break out sales by model. All we know is 1) in the first weekend of sales the iPhone 5 broke the previous record set by the iPhone 4S, and 2) the ASP last quarter wasn't significantly lower than previous quarters. What factual data points do you have which indicates iPhone sales are soft because Apple doesn't offer a bigger screen size?

None. Because he doesn't have any. Other than some analyst talking out his backside. And making up stories That have no fact or have any facts to back them up.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    isaidso wrote: »
    Hey. you gotta cut him some slack.
    There was a time when I would walk into an Apple store, and you had to wait in line at a table just to be able to touch one.
    It's not like that now. Anyone can see that that's the case.
    What does it mean...? We'll find out soon enough.
    More Apple stores, more iPhone resellers, etc.
  • Reply 74 of 78
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I think we have to wait until Q1 2014 before passing too much judgement on Cook. If there is a drop from Q1 2013 then, yeah, consider giving him his walking papers. Trouble with that, though, is finding someone who is more capable. Pickings are slim.

Wholeheartedly agree with you.

• Reply 75 of 78
    rogifan wrote: »
    No I meant I thought that's all they did for Apple. So, sales of what exactly are down 18%?

Maybe sales of Xbox360 since a new model was announced. Or sales of an random product that is being outdated.

Hmm , this wouldn't be an article if no banker had something to gain from it.
  • Reply 76 of 78
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member

Foxconn manufactures for many companies including:

Acer, Amazon.com, Apple Inc.,  ASRock, Asus, Barnes & Noble, Cisco, Dell, EVGA Corporation, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, IBM, Lenovo, Logitech, Microsoft, MSI, Motorola, Netgear, Nintendo, Nokia, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba, Vizio to name the known companies.

•  

• Total sales were $808.97 billion Taiwan, or $26.96 billion U.S., at Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. Ltd., also known as Foxconn, in the quarter spanning from January to March, according to Reuters. The 19 percent sales decline is blamed mostly on the iPhone by Reuters, yet HP (-22%) and Dell (-14%) have both experienced a major downturn in sales to mention just two of the other companies involved with Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. Ltd., aka Foxconn.

Foxconn hasn't commented in detail on any of this, only Reuters has, so the entire story blaming Apple's iPhone for the sales decline could very easily be and most likely is total BS.

• Reply 77 of 78
    herbapou wrote: »
    This may be a running gag, only this time there are real YoY declines. Apple offer only 1 new model of iphone and it accounts for 70% of its income.  Its a financial timebomb, the risk for investors is huge.

Maybe Apple will diversified its iphone lines and maybe Apple will introduce something new.  Currently Apple needs to do both just to keep its earnings, otherwise its going down like a rock.

The running gag is that people believe this stuff, obviously you do?

An analyst with an ulterior motive tells a story about YoY declines in Foxconn sales? Profits? What is even being said? Can you not realize an agenda?

Foxconn hasn't released their numbers yet..

Apple hasn't released their numbers yet.

Where is the "real" YoY decline? What product? What companies?

Do you believe everything you read about aliens too?

I hope for your own sake you don't invest in the stock market.
  • Reply 78 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    spacepower wrote: »
    Maybe sales of Xbox360 since a new model was announced. Or sales of an random product that is being outdated.

Hmm , this wouldn't be an article if no banker had something to gain from it.
    I've figure it out now. I didn't know that Foxconn treats the devices they manufacture as "sales" for accounting purposes,

Appler's Q2 conference call will reveal all. Until then it would be nice if sites like AI followed Tim Cook's advice of not reading into a single data point and trying to make conclusions off that.