Microsoft roadmap pegs launch of Office for iOS, Android for fall 2014

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The debut of Microsoft's Office suite for mobile devices such as the iPhone and iPad may be later than previously anticipated, with a new report claiming the software is scheduled to debut in late 2014.

The details come from a purported product roadmap obtained by Mary Jo Foley of CNet and published on Wednesday. The alleged details also suggest Microsoft plans to launch a new version of Office for Mac in April of 2014.

Office

The updated versions of Office are revealed in the roadmap as "waves" set to launch across the 2014 calendar year. A source who spoke with Foley said the leaked info was accurate as of at least the start of this year.

The document refers to the project as "Gemini," which is apparently set to include the Metro user interface elements Microsoft has pushed with Windows 8 and Windows Phone. The first product to ship, Gemini Wave 1.0, will be updates for the core apps of Office on Windows: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote.

Then in April of 2014, Gemini Wave 1.5 is expected to bring about Office for Mac, a refresh of Office for Windows RT, support for Perspective Pixels, and a refresh of the suite on Windows Phone.

Finally, The October 2014 Gemini Wave 2.0 is expected to debut Outlook for Windows RT, in addition to the rumored Office for both Apple's iOS, as well as Google's Android platform.

The latest details from Foley contradict a report from late last year that pegged Office for iOS and Android for a mid-2013 launch. There have been indications for some time that a version of Office for iOS is in development, including a purported iPad screenshot that leaked more than a year ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

2014? 

Hey Microsoft, don't rush to much, that seems like a very aggressive timetable. 7 years to get office on iOS, and 2 full years to port an office update from Windows to Mac? Incredible. Either way, they're doing nothing but shooting themselves in the foot. The longer they keep office off iOS, the more than people will realize how utterly irrelevant it's becoming for most people. 

• Reply 2 of 27
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    These page curl ads have to freakin' stop.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

These page curl ads have to freakin' stop.

Not seeing them with AdBlock. Huzzah!

On topic: it is astonishing how long Microsoft has taken to catch on to whole new classes of devices. I suspect that Office will be successful once it's out, though, as IT departments are comfortable with it. On the other hand, they're also increasingly comfortable with Google Apps.

• Reply 4 of 27
    Microsoft will release office only after the third world war ends,it Microsoft's so called crisis
    management.....
  • Reply 5 of 27
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Woah there!  Slow it down!  Steady win's the race!  There's a whole lot of years left in this century!  Why be hasty?

Edit: Maybe I added this up wrong.  2014 is next year, not five years ago, right?

• Reply 6 of 27
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

Why bother?

• Reply 7 of 27
    Too [S][COLOR=orange]muck[/COLOR][/S] much [bloat], Too late!

I certainly hope that Apple takes the opportunity to enhance * iWork and pring feature between the OS X and iOS apps.

* provide the 20% of function that will satisfy 80% of the users.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Too muck [bloat], Too late!

If you believe the anti-iWork crowd, even "late 2014" will be soon enough to destroy iWork on both OS X and iOS…

• Reply 9 of 27
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Theory: Microsoft is late to the game because their plan was to make Office available on Windows 8 tablets only. Now that their tablets have flamed out they are scrambling to port Office to iOS.

• Reply 10 of 27
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Too muck much [bloat], Too late!

I certainly hope that Apple takes the opportunity to enhance * iWork and pring feature between the OS X and iOS apps.

You know what would REALLY increase adoption? If they offered iOS iWork for free. They don't need the revenue from those apps, and I think the effect it would have on increased usage would be well worth it. I see absolutely no reason why they couldn't do it- just another "value added" bullet point for iOS devices. That, and people would then more likely buy the OSX apps if they get used to the iOS ones. 

• Reply 11 of 27
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

I wish everyone would stop referring to this as "Office for iOS" when everyone knows that it will just be *access* to Office 360 (on the web) from an iOS client.  

Microsoft is not making a version of Office for iOS.  

You will not be able to go to the App store and buy a copy of Word for example.  

It's a very important difference.  

• Reply 12 of 27

Why are we finger-pointing at Microsoft for not porting Office to iOS, when we would much more reasonably point a finger at Apple for not porting iWork to Android, iOS, and Windows 7 & 8?  It would be a bold, aggressive move for Apple to offer Numbers, Pages, and Keynote on Windows.  I much prefer the iWork applications, and having a cross-platform file format would be terrific.

• Reply 13 of 27

Quote:

Too muck much [bloat], Too late!

I think that tablets force software companies to perfect their apps so that they run smoothly out of the gate. Not really one of Microsoft's strong points. The bloat and the crashing will probably create delays well into 2015 when MS hopes that new processors and expanded drive capacity will make its offering more palatable.

• Reply 14 of 27
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,279member

This desperate attempt to prop up Windows by denying other platforms timely access to Office is costing MS billions of dollars yet appears to be doing very little to prop up Windows. On the other hand, maybe Windows would be doing even worse if MS wasn't doing this -- that would be really pathetic. 

• Reply 15 of 27
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Oops, I read it as Orifice for iOS, Android, but am glad I Ctrl-Cmd-D it:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/23356/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 16 of 27
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

This desperate attempt to prop up Windows by denying other platforms timely access to Office is costing MS billions of dollars yet appears to be doing very little to prop up Windows. On the other hand, maybe Windows would be doing even worse if MS wasn't doing this -- that would be really pathetic. 

Windows will always be a mainstay in enterprise, so I don't understand why they would need to pull a stunt like keeping it off other platforms. Office software is their strength, not operating systems. They should be trying to put Office on every device out there. This could just be an example of Ballmer's "everything goes back to Windows" mentality.

• Reply 17 of 27
    Microsoft, you can hate iOS and Android all you want, fact is, you are leaving money on the table. That's taking care of your shareholders, NOT.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Microsoft, you can hate iOS and Android all you want, fact is, you are leaving money on the table. That's taking care of your shareholders, NOT.

Yet, they're not being sued because of that fact.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    gustav wrote: »
    Windows will always be a mainstay in enterprise, so I don't understand why they would need to pull a stunt like keeping it off other platforms. Office software is their strength, not operating systems. They should be trying to put Office on every device out there. This could just be an example of Ballmer's "everything goes back to Windows" mentality.

Two years ago I wouldn't necessarily argued with the statement, "Windows will always be a mainstay in enterprise," but Apple iPad is beginning to suggest otherwise.

Apple iPad is inarguably more than a simple content consumption application at this point. I have no doubt that we will see significant improvements in iOS 7 as well.

"Office software is their strength, not operating systems." is not a true statement at least not based on market share in personal computing operating systems and server operating systems.

"They should be trying to put Office on every device out there," agreed.

Information Technology professionals that would never have considered Apple previously have had Apple iPads and iPhones foisted onto their networks. The problem is that Microsoft Windows Server doesn't have the Metro user interface. Microsoft Windows 8 is designed primarily with consideration to activities outside the office, Microsoft's traditional strength.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you believe the anti-iWork crowd, even "late 2014" will be soon enough to destroy iWork on both OS X and iOS…

I find those most frustrated with iWork, are those who use it. I've always used iWork, and it's predecessor AppleWorks, since it was known as ClarisWorks 2.1. 

Apple has seriously neglected iWork on OS X, (as it did for long periods with AppleWorks).  iWork 09 => very minor update in '12.  Says it all.

Forget arguments about feature comparison with MS Office. For those using an office suite on both a desktop/laptop and tablet/smartphone - elegant synchronisation is key. And for all its "it just works" reputation, Apple falls flat here. Different file format for iOS version. But even without that, saving to iCloud on the Mac side is anything but seamless. Drag'n'drop' to a browser window is a clumsy and unnecessary step.

The major iOS alternatives Docs-to-Go, QuickOffice and Office2 (the best imho) offer more seamless synchronisation via DropBox or similar.

Get your finger out Apple. But this comes from one of the pro-iWork crowd. It's such a shame as the actual iWork Apps in themselves are so good on OS X and iOS.