Analyst says Apple may launch new internet service, 'killer iOS app' after meeting with management

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Is it just me that thinks that monetizing users (who already pay for their hardware... and they're not exactly inexpensive) or developers (who're there to make money, not to make Apple richer) sounds like a Google idea?

Apple already monetizes developers (30% of sales thru App Store, in addition to $99/yr). I am not aware of Google doing more in this regard (difference is negligible, afaik).

Apple also monetizes users for more than hardware - iTunes, App Store.

Google just does it differently. It's not monetization through advertising that makes Google a questionable company. It's the evolution of contextualization technology that has raised the privacy stakes.

• Reply 22 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Well... YES.

For example:

Person A buys a Mac and an iDevice.

Just f*cking give person A itunes Match  and more icloud storage!

Make your best costumers (the ones that are really deep on the ecosystem) to not have to think about those services.

Apple has a history of being less than generous on such fronts. I believe that increasing these "fringe benefits" would be a better use of their cash than dividends (in reality, not a real use of cash but a small dent in their earnings). But that would drive down their quarterly numbers and consequently their stock. So it would be a lose-lose for shareholders and win-win for customers. Currently, in this respect, Apple's dividends program punishes customers to reward shareholders.

• Reply 23 of 52
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    matrix07 wrote: »

I hate Google as much as anyone here but what sounds like a Google idea is just the opposite. Google gives away free service (then mine our dates of course).

I really, really hope you meant "data"
  • Reply 24 of 52
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    entropys wrote: »
    I really, really hope you meant "data"

Damn iPad auto correction. Lol.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Currently, in this respect, Apple's dividends program punishes customers to reward shareholders.

Huh?  How are customers hurt by Apple's dividend program?  Apple have enough money in the bank to pay the current dividend rate for years, they aren't missing any opportunities because of the dividend.

• Reply 26 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    "Eddy Cue is believed to be working to improve existing services like iCloud and Maps"

"Believed" to be working on these services? We know that Apple tends to be coy. But if Huberty came away from the meeting less than 100% sure that Cue is working on improving these services, she is either the most conservative person ever or not listening. In fact, does she have to meet Apple's management team to *know* and not just *believe* that this is happening?

While she hedges on something that is a certainty, she does not hesitate to go along with the rumor of 5S, even though there is no chance Apple would have given her the slightest hint about unannounced hardware.

Katy Huberty publishes reports on her meetings with Apple's Sr Managers at least once a year. Should be easy to compile her track record on this.
    Yeah I scratched my head on that one too. Um, if Eddy isn't working on those things then we have a serious problem in Cuppertino. And is that something we're supposed to be impressed by - someone doing their job?!? Anyway with the recent iMessage outage for some its clear Apple had plenty of work on the services side of things.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Oh great...another crappy internet service from Apple. I can't wait. Maybe they should fix iCloud before they start releasing more stuff like this. 

I agree though...I bet its iRadio or whatever they want to call it. 
    I hate to say it but iRadio doesn't interest me. I currently have Spotify and love it. Never use iTunes. Now if Apple offered something similar to Spotify and it was free (or reduced price) for owners of iDevices/Macs I'd think about it. But for me it would have to offer the ability to play any song on demand and allow for cache so you can listen to stuff when you don't have connectivity. Since I don't see that happening, I'll stick with Spotify.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Why do we need a new Radio service? What could Apple possible add to Pandora and Spotify among others?
  • Reply 29 of 52
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

Why do we need a new Radio service? What could Apple possible add to Pandora and Spotify among others?

A better service, better integration, much larger user base, make artists support services like this (when everyone uses them).

Class.

• Reply 30 of 52
    'Killer'? Sounds like low-margin, nice-to-haves (not must-haves) for Apple. Initiatives like a better cloud and iRadio will hardly move the valuation needle.

I hope Apple is on the verge of announcing some truly killer product, by which I mean hardware.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    In a note to investors on Thursday, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty, who has never been right about any of her previous predictions.

There. Fixed that for you.
  • Reply 32 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a note to investors on Thursday, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty, who has never been right about any of her previous predictions.

There. Fixed that for you.

Ironically, you are wrong about her never being right. But I get your (very light) sense of humor. The dig about very light is not personal. I just find the whole quote-fixing meme questionable - It's not really funny, and serves to mislead others who have not read the original.

• Reply 33 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmusikantow View Post

In 2006/07, many people were asking the same question about mobile phones.

• Reply 34 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Huh?  How are customers hurt by Apple's dividend program?  Apple have enough money in the bank to pay the current dividend rate for years, they aren't missing any opportunities because of the dividend.

It's not an intuitive concept but it's also not rocket science (but apparently some people here are rocket scientists). Give it some thought.

• Reply 35 of 52
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Aren't these analysts under an NDA or something when meting with management, that prevents them from running their mouths like this? I don't get it.

I felt the same. 

• Reply 36 of 52

I hope it isn't a streaming ANYTHING service. All of these streaming services are great, until you reach your data cap and end up with a HUGE bill, or you get throttled beyond being usable. 

The average consumer just can't comprehend that cellular data is NOT an unlimited resource for everyone to hog down all they can eat. Does nobody remember what happened to AT&T? Yeah, they probably could've done a little more to boost their network, but the average user suffered because of the extreme data hogs. I used to easily hit over 5Mbps in my area with AT&T, but that's a thing of the past. It appears they've reduced everyone's data speeds to help spread it out. I'm lucky to break 2-3Mbps now with full signal. 

I hope they announce some sort of better data compression tech as part of iOS 7. That'll help users get more for their data dollars. 

• Reply 37 of 52
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Ironically, you are wrong about her never being right. But I get your (very light) sense of humor. The dig about very light is not personal. I just find the whole quote-fixing meme questionable - It's not really funny, and serves to mislead others who have not read the original.

Pray tell, what significant predictions has she ever made that turned out to be right? (Not the ones where everyone in the world already knew something and she 'predicted' it).
  • Reply 38 of 52

So ... Katy met with management, they provided her no new information about any upcoming products or services other than "we've got some great stuff coming" and she used recent rumors to come up with her predictions?

• Reply 39 of 52
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

We're not saying its radio, but its radio.

Except it's not radio.  

It's a streaming music service, which is actually quite different from radio or even "internet radio."  

• Reply 40 of 52
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

'Killer'? Sounds like low-margin, nice-to-haves (not must-haves) for Apple. Initiatives like a better cloud and iRadio will hardly move the valuation needle.

I hope Apple is on the verge of announcing some truly killer product, by which I mean hardware.

Her "killer app" statement seems to refer to the purported fingerprint reader thing, not the streaming music app.  If it's done correctly, it could easily be at least as big a deal as Siri and have everyone gushing over it.  

Also like Siri, it may not actually work very well and a few months later we might all be wondering why we thought it was so revolutionary, but at the outset, I could see this being a "killer app."