Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" display

Comments

• Reply 141 of 166

Wow.

• Reply 142 of 166

What demographic ?!? What about people with failing eyesight ? people who put usually their phone in their jacket or in their purse rather than in a pocket ? people who are mentally past 12 and do not care what strangers in the street think of them or consider cool ... oh well, probably only a few hundred million in the world of these

• Reply 143 of 166
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    topastro wrote: »
    What demographic ?!? What about people with failing eyesight ? people who put usually their phone in their jacket or in their purse rather than in a pocket ? people who are mentally past 12 and do not care what strangers in the street think of them or consider cool ... oh well, probably only a few hundred million in the world of these

Don't forget people who aren't mentally past 12 and feel compelled to read a forum and open an account on a website that is a tribute to a company they clearly despise.
  • Reply 144 of 166
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Don't forget people who aren't mentally past 12 and feel compelled to read a forum and open an account on a website that is a tribute to a company they clearly despise.

In what way does wishing Apple would offer a larger screen size equate to one despising Apple? That is a seriously strange reaction.

• Reply 145 of 166
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

"A tribute to the company"? Just because you are a fanboi, does not mean that some of this can care about what happens to Apple and its products without being in the church ("there is no phone but the iPhone, Steve Jobs rasul iPhone, and Steve Cook is the wali of iPhone"). Jeez.

• Reply 146 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

In what way does wishing Apple would offer a larger screen size equate to one despising Apple? That is a seriously strange reaction.

What next, the abolition of the latin Mass? Oh, wait...

• Reply 147 of 166
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    igriv wrote: »
    "A tribute to the company"? Just because you are a fanboi, does not mean that some of this can care about what happens to Apple and its products without being in the church ("there is no phone but the iPhone, Steve Jobs rasul iPhone, and Steve Cook is the wali of iPhone"). Jeez.

Your fanboy comments are getting out of hand so why don't you cool it with the ad homeniem personal attacks. They currently don't help any valid position you may have once had.
  • Reply 148 of 166
    I guess I'm the only one who wants an iPhone 5" ?
    I want to leave my house with 1 iOS device to send texts, surf the Internet, read & call my people mostly while in my car connected to blue tooth.
  • Reply 149 of 166
    I want to leave my house with 1 iOS device to send texts, surf the Internet, read & call my people mostly while in my car connected to blue tooth.

I personally doubt I'd want one but I can certainly see a market for it.

There are some things to consider. Would they use the same resolution as the 4" thus making it scale easily for developers thereby not affecting the user? At 4.9404", the size that allows them to use the same panels as used with the iPad 3, it's only 264 PPI. Is that enough?

If we folllow Apple's history they could:

1) double the resolution this making it a 528 PPI display (which seems excessive) and disadvantageous to the performance and battery life for the device.

2) They could use the same 326 PPI panels but center the app so there are black borders (like on the iPhone 5 with iPhone 4S apps). This wouldn't be juat a top and bottom border but also one on the sides, and quite extensive.

I'm not sure either would fly at Apple.
  • Reply 150 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

Lots of people want a bigger iPhone. Even having it the same length as the current model, but increasing the width to 4:3 aspect ratio would be a big plus. 

• Reply 151 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I personally doubt I'd want one but I can certainly see a market for it.

There are some things to consider. Would they use the same resolution as the 4" thus making it scale easily for developers thereby not affecting the user? At 4.9404", the size that allows them to use the same panels as used with the iPad 3, it's only 264 PPI. Is that enough?

If we folllow Apple's history they could:

1) double the resolution this making it a 528 PPI display (which seems excessive) and disadvantageous to the performance and battery life for the device.

2) They could use the same 326 PPI panels but center the app so there are black borders (like on the iPhone 5 with iPhone 4S apps). This wouldn't be juat a top and bottom border but also one on the sides, and quite extensive.

I'm not sure either would fly at Apple.

As the processors and graphics cards get faster, I don't see why Apple would not go with a resolution independent rendering model, rendering (as it were) this question moot...

• Reply 152 of 166
    igriv wrote: »
    As the processors and graphics cards get faster, I don't see why Apple would not go with a resolution independent rendering model, rendering (as it were) this question moot...

There are very real reasons why Apple will not make all graphics in an OS vectored. Do you think the latest MBP can handle it yet they did something very different (and smart) with the Retina MBPs.
  • Reply 153 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There are very real reasons why Apple will not make all graphics in an OS vectored. Do you think the latest MBP can handle it yet they did something very different (and smart) with the Retina MBPs.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

What did they do? Notice that whatever they did was only partly smart, since it took a long time for some vendors (including some with a lot of resources) to catch up with the retina-compatible versions of their apps (this would not have been an issue with a resolution independent rendering model). I assume that throwing five megapixels on the screen taxes even modern graphics hardware, but this is going to be a non-issue in a year or two.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 154 of 166
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

…whatever they did was only partly smart, since it took a long time for some vendors (including some with a lot of resources) to catch up with the retina-compatible versions of their apps…

Yep. It's Apple's fault idiot developers are lazy¡ image

(this would not have been an issue with a resolution independent rendering model)

OH REALLY?! YOU KNOW THAT FOR A FACT, DO YOU?! ????

There's no 'incredulous' emoji. That's called 'anguished', so it's close. Really, this is closer to 'anguished'… ????

• Reply 155 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

OH REALLY?! YOU KNOW THAT FOR A FACT, DO YOU?! ????

There's no 'incredulous' emoji. That's called 'anguished', so it's close. Really, this is closer to 'anguished'… ????

Yes, those slackers at Mozilla, Adobe, Twitter. It is Apple's fault to have come out with a device which is difficult to program for (I am very fond of mine, by the way), and as for the second thing, I know because then the developers would have to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. If you really want to disagree, at least say something semi-intelligent to counter my statement. But that may be asking too much of you.

• Reply 156 of 166
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple decided to create a display system that no longer uses the industry-standard display format. For marketing reasons they kept it secret, so developers did not have advance opportunity to adapt. Apple is the only manufacturer to do this and its users are only 10% of the market.

If I'm a manager at a software company whose job is prioritizing work, I'm not sure making my title "Retina Compatible" would be high on the list. Between not feeling particularly inclined to chase Apple's latest unilateral move and there not being a strong business case for fast-tracking something that will only yield returns from a tiny fraction of the market (the fraction of the 10% that own Retina models), I can see this making it to the "when we get around to it" file.

Apple secretly changing its rules for how software runs on its machines is not wrong. Developers who decide not to knock themselves out updating their software to accommodate that change are not lazy. Each side has its own agenda and they don't always coincide.

• Reply 157 of 166
    kikkokikko Posts: 40member

This is an attempt by Samsung to get men into using handbags just to carry their phones. Next thing you know they'll get men to wear dresses and grow out their hair. Won't be too long when everyone who uses a Samsung carries a rolling backpack just for their phones.

• Reply 158 of 166
    I never understand people that moan about Samsung releasing large phones. It is about choice. Instead of Apple's stupid one size fits all policy, Samsung develops phones for everyone. Galaxy Note for creative minds using the S Pen, Galaxy Mega for game players and video watchers and the Galaxy S series for the regular consumer.
  • Reply 159 of 166
    Instead of Apple's stupid one size fits all policy...

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/
  • Reply 160 of 166
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by michaelhall43 View Post

Instead of Apple's stupid one size fits all policy, Samsung develops phones for everyone.

Everyone, including those who can't afford smartphones, those who don't ever want modern software or updates thereto, and those who think having a 5" screen is a good thing.