Rumor: More affordable iPhone will launch alongside Apple's 'iPhone 5S' in July

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Anyone know how much "analysts" make? I can easily read forums and regurgitate as a rumor too... pay me!! Analyst by day, Cocoa dev by night. Sounds win win to me. 

• Reply 22 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I suspect the rumors are based on the fact the existing top iPhones, i.e. 4s and 5 will drop in price on the release of a new model as per usual.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    emig647 wrote: »
    Anyone know how much "analysts" make? I can easily read forums and regurgitate as a rumor too... pay me!! Analyst by day, Cocoa dev by night. Sounds win win to me. 

I've gone back to Ovaltine at night. ;)
  • Reply 24 of 53
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Here's hoping Apple will introduce a redesigned iPhone and not an iPhone 5S.

"iPhone" and "iPhone mini" works for me. Plain & simple:

(A) a 4" screen for the iPhone

(B) a 3,5" screen for the iPhone mini

• Reply 25 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple must deliver a low cost iPhone.

Apple must maintain its high margins.

Which is it, analysts? The alleged low cost iPhone will drive margins down.

Not necessarily: isn't that a price point judgement? They can simply have chosen a less costly set of materials and then charge a relative lot for it and actually have HIGHER margins (which has been written is the case with the iPad mini btw). Less profit per unit, true, but a bigger profit percentage (margin) on each sale as I understand it.

A cup of coffee that you charge a nickel for that costs a penny to make get's you an 80% margin compared to a latte you charge $5 for that costs $4 in materials..... 80% versus 20%.

One reason why I take that calculated  number, alongside "market share" with a heaping tablespoon of salt.

• Reply 26 of 53
    A lower cost Iphone makes no sense. The so called emerging markets are already flooded with low cost phones that are soooo cheap they are disposable. Remember them cheap a** flip phones? They still around folks.
    If Apple goes down that road it will cheapen the brand.
    The Analyst envision a cheap iPhone moving Apple's stock. And that's the trick. Get a cheap a** iPhone, predict it will sell x amount of millions in units and use that to jack up the stock.
    Then what do you do when the effects of a cheap iPhone in those so called emerging markets wears off? Hmmmmmmm.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    slurpy wrote: »
    1. A cheaper phone would not be "lowering their standards". The iPad mini is significantly cheaper than the iPad, yet build quality is still superb. There's room to make a phone below the insane build quality of the iPhone 5, yet still maintaining good quality, by using different materials. They would never compromise the brand by building a piece of shit.  It can be "cheaper" without being "cheap". This concern was articulated for months before the iPad mini, and guess what? It was all unfounded.  Apple did this with the iPod, the iPad, the Mac, and they can do it with the phone. Perhaps it will be instead of selling older models of their phones as they currently do now. 

The iPad mini was smaller and didn't have retina display. There isn't room for a cheap iPhone to shrink and they shouldn't release an iPhone without retina display.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    huffcwhuffcw Posts: 53member

Agree - including this photo is misleading and really has nothing to do with the story.

• Reply 29 of 53

Technical challenge will be if all touchscreen acts like an sensor. Will be a real innovation on mobile fingerprint technology!

Imagine the usability of this!

I don't wanna put my big and fat fingers on an tiny sensor integrated on Home button. :(

• Reply 30 of 53
    Globally, as in not just in the U.S. ::sigh::, Apple likely could add a new (and probably longterm) youth/elder market sector by selling a less expensive iPod Nano-ish iPhone, without taking any sheen off the existing iPhone design and market. Not as if the company will go belly up if 40% profit margins come down to 39. Like many parents, I'm more inclined to get my tween a less expensive nano iPhone than either give over my existing device as a hand-me-down or pay for them to have a new one ... to lose or break. If Apple intros a cheaper iPhone, it would gain new customers in emerging markets; it also would gain new customers in existing markets. Just about anyone would *rather* have the more/most expensive iPhone and probably will when they can afford it, which serves several purposes, all of them good for Apple. The case can be made that the global smartphone market is at the point where Apple ought stop ceding to other manufacturers the $300 entry market segment. iPhones are not luxury products, they are premium products. A lower priced one still is.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    In my opinion, if there are no big-size iPhones out by next year, it means one of two things:

- Apple failed, it should be a penny stock
    - Apple is being "extra-secretive", and doesn't even show its best products to the prying eyes of customers. Wouldn't be secret anymore.

/s
  • Reply 32 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Apple must deliver a low cost iPhone.

Apple must maintain its high margins.

Which is it, analysts? The alleged low cost iPhone will drive margins down.

Apple must deliver a low cost iPhone while maintaining high margins?

One solution would be to convince everyone to buy iPhone Classic, like it's 2007 again?

• Reply 33 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Analyst during the compilation phases :p

• Reply 34 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I've gone back to Ovaltine at night. image

Orphan Annie will jump right out of her little brown shoes when she hears that.

On the matter of a cheap iPhone... Were Apple to make a cheap iPhone with a narrower screen width so it would be more the shape of a Hershey bar, they could drive the market to smaller phones and upset the whole phablet trend and Samsung would be left sucking air.

• Reply 35 of 53
    nantosnantos Posts: 9member
    I have had an iphone 3, 4 and 5 but I think this is now a case of "too little too late". they have lost the edge on the software and the hardware is now nothing to write home about.

probably my last Iphone for a while. its so staid.

• Reply 36 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by nantos View Post

they have lost the edge on the software and the hardware is now nothing to write home about.

Absolutely nothing you have said is true in any respect.

Go buy something else.

its so staid.

One less liar, one less problem.

• Reply 37 of 53
    whcirwhcir Posts: 29member
    Instead of saying, "HOW THE FRICK COULD THIS USELESS GIMMICK POSSIBLY BE CONSIDERED A 'MAJOR NEW FEATURE'?!" let's try to think of ways it could be.

I can't think of any.

Where's your imagination? It could be used to authenticate your identity for mobile payments and signing into apps, as well as second factor authentication for websites. And surely Apple would provide an API, so developers could use it in other ways. Think about how it could be used in conjunction with apps that act as control panels to other devices or that use the lightening connector. Unlock your house door with a finger scan on your iPhone. Disable your car alarm. There's a lot of possibilities with some imagination.
  • Reply 38 of 53

Originally Posted by WhciR View Post

Where's your imagination?

Trying to come up with a way of pitching it as a "major new feature". None of that is "major". It's just additions to what is already there.

• Reply 39 of 53
    whcirwhcir Posts: 29member

Trying to come up with a way of pitching it as a "major new feature". None of that is "major". It's just additions to what is already there.

I see what you're saying now. I think that's a matter of perspective and marketing will have a lot in determining whether it's perceived as major or not. If developers jump on board I think it could be major because its a differentiator when compared to other phones.
  • Reply 40 of 53

Originally Posted by WhciR View Post

I think that's a matter of perspective and marketing will have a lot in determining whether it's perceived as major or not.

Right.

I mean, I can definitely see it being big in authentication… of purchases. Maybe PassBook will become the digital wallet I imagined it would have been initially. Take a picture of the UPC/QR code on a product on the shelf (and maybe this will get UPC kicked off products in favor of QR), put it in your shopping cart, walk to where the cash registers used to be (mommy, what's a cashier?), bag your stuff up (leave in a bin what you decided not to buy; the former cashiers now run customer service for people, answering questions and such, as well as returning these items to the proper shelves), confirm your purchase using your fingerprint, and WALK RIGHT OUT OF THE STORE.

When you leave the geofence for that store, your account is automatically billed for the amount. A receipt is sent to your iCloud address under an automatic smart folder "Receipts". 

Of course, this requires tens of millions of retailers to get on board with the system, but it provides them instantaneous feedback as to what products sell best, what they need to buy, quantities, etc. And all this gets passed onto the manufacturer as well, so they will know INSTANTLY if a product is becoming a hit or should be discontinued.

Imagine how much money it will save!

Oh, and from a consumer standpoint, Apple will have made the former actions associated with stealing… legal. It's a neat, tingly feeling—one of suspense and forbiddenness—that customers will latch onto right away due to novelty, so being a part of the system will make retailers more desirable.

Imagine… on one of the windows of nearly every store in the country (heck, it would be proudly displayed on banners at first), right next to all the major credit card logos… would be the Apple logo.

Just have Apple add one cent to every transaction to cover management and power to the back end hardware. Finally the haters will have a real Apple Tax about which to gripe, but they'll make tens of billions. A month.