Rumor: More affordable iPhone will launch alongside Apple's 'iPhone 5S' in July

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    whcirwhcir Posts: 29member

Just have Apple add one cent to every transaction to cover management and power to the back end hardware. Finally the haters will have a real Apple Tax about which to gripe, but they'll make tens of billions. A month.

I see most of that happening sooner or later. It's just a mattr of time for retailers to get on the same page instead of pushing in different directions. Retailers are usually not the innovators, but go with what equipment and technologies are offered for sale to them if they provide for advantages they didn't have before. I think Apple can give them that while keeping their investment in new equipment low.

On your last point, I think Apple should become their own payment processor, introduce mobile payment and authentication APIs for apps to use and integrate technology from their recent purchase of an indoor-wifi-mapping company into the APIs and services.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by WhciR View Post

…and integrate technology from their recent purchase of an indoor-wifi-mapping company into the APIs and services.

So that you can not only use Apple Maps to tell you where to go to buy [obscure grocery item], you can use it to find out where in that specific store said item is! I like it.

• Reply 43 of 53
    Absolutely nothing you have said is true in any respect.

Go buy something else.
    One less liar, one less problem.

Nice logical post! As usual. I will take up your suggestion and buy something else the moment i find my iphone even more booring than i do now!
    Seriously... Ios is dated, very dated. Apps were novelty when no one else had them, now most usefull apps are universal so apple cant compete with ios exclusive apps. If truth be toldI use the apps on the iphone less and less. Its now become a phone again, voice and messaging. Even imessage, one of the reasons for me to buy the iphone 5, now has huge competition that works just as well.
    Lets face it Ios needs major revamp and as this wont come with the new phones im ot sure they will be the big sellers apple wants them to be.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    If Apple thinks a 4" screen cheap phone is going to inspire people in Asia they had better think again. I hope they do a 5" phone of some sort because everyone has them here. A cheap phone is also questionable for Asia. They are the prime status symbol for many societies. People was classy upmarket name brands, not "the cheap one".
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Instead of saying, "HOW THE FRICK COULD THIS USELESS GIMMICK POSSIBLY BE CONSIDERED A 'MAJOR NEW FEATURE'?!" let's try to think of ways it could be.

I can't think of any.

I think fingerprint technology to unlock your phone would be a great feature and can be considered major depending on the way it's implemented.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">Like Kuo, White also believes that fingerprint scanning technology will be included with an "iPhone 5S" this year. White believes this functionality will be "the major new feature used to market the iPhone 5S, similar to what Siri was to the iPhone 4S."</span>

Instead of saying, "HOW THE FRICK COULD THIS USELESS GIMMICK POSSIBLY BE CONSIDERED A 'MAJOR NEW FEATURE'?!" let's try to think of ways it could be.

I can't think of any.

I can... just one, tiny little exclusive... It will allow the person carrying the iPhone to seamlessly identify himself to the "system" and make available his credits and/or credit cards to pay for things... anythings...

AIR, there are ~ 500 Million iTunes accounts with active credit cards... even more iTunes accounts without credit cards -- but capable of containing iTunes Store Credits from gift cards, etc.

It's instant gratification in the form of PPP -- Purchasing Power for the People!
  • Reply 47 of 53
    carthusia wrote: »
    anonymouse wrote: »
    I believe they are saying they believe it will be integrated into the home button, as in, you put your thumb on the home button to scan it. "Below" in this case being in reference to the surface of the home button.
    If a fingerprint scanner is at all associated with the home button (dumb idea), a problem may be to disallow unwanted presses of the button when attempting a scan. Maintaining a mechanical home button would perhaps mitigate against an errant press, as some force is needed. If they're going this route, it would be interesting to see how a scanner could be embedded into the current physical key. They are not going with redesigned mechanical home button to solve this problem.

But what about an optical home button? If they go with an optical button, it would be confusing to users if there is no clear prompt in the relevant app to scan a finger? But if that's the case, wouldn't developers already have been made aware of new APIs and other app updates to make use of this feature at launch of iOS 7 and the new iOS devices?

The idea is cool and useful from a security standpoint, I just don't see it happening yet, perhaps 2014. When/if it does happen, I see the sensor being embedded under a portion of the screen, not the home button.

This is the type of feature that developers learn about at announcement time -- not before. This feature unlocks the device and a few system apps like securely paying for things with iTunes Script or Credit Card. Likely, there will be APIs provided to developers at announce that will allow them to accept "virtual" cash or credit cards (in addition to using a cc reader or kb entry). It should be relatively easy for developers to implement this into their existing apps.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    I've gone back to Ovaltine at night. ;)
    Orphan Annie will jump right out of her little brown shoes when she hears that.

On the matter of a cheap iPhone... Were Apple to make a cheap iPhone with a narrower screen width so it would be more the shape of a Hershey bar, they could drive the market to smaller phones and upset the whole phablet trend and Samsung would be left sucking air.

:D Boy... you really are old.... ...You bet'cher Asp!

I'm Buster Brown -- I live in your shoe... That's my dog ???? -- he lives in there too!

Or is it... Half the fun of being goosed is wearing red shoes :???:

Gotta' run... I soiled my BVDs...
  • Reply 49 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    This is the type of feature that developers learn about at announcement time -- not before.

Unless they have a spy on the Board of Directors.

Oh, wait.... 10 months doesn't matter in a fast moving business like the mobile phone business - at least according to the trolls here. /s
  • Reply 50 of 53
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Apple to use a fingerprint scanner when Samsung\Google has been using facial recognition for the last 2 years.

Who's the innovator?

• Reply 51 of 53

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Apple to use a fingerprint scanner when Samsung\Google has been using facial recognition for the last 2 years.

Who's the innovator?

Apple, because if they actually do something like this, not only will they get it right, they'll do it in a way that is meaningful to the customer and isn't a worthless gimmick.

See, you can make posts full of anti-someone crap. I can do it, too. It's all perspective.

• Reply 52 of 53
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple, because if they actually do something like this, not only will they get it right, they'll do it in a way that is meaningful to the customer and isn't a worthless gimmick.

Yet again you misunderstand the meaning of innovation.

Innovation differs from improvement in that innovation refers to the notion of doing something different rather than doing the same thing better.

• Reply 53 of 53

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

…innovation refers to the notion of doing something different…

Thanks for the lesson on something that I already put into practice in the post you quoted.