T-Mobile touts 'gangbusters' first day of iPhone sales

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46

A friend of mine who is in a regional position with TMobile told me his stores have been "slammed" with customers wanting iPhones. i didn't ask for any particular numbers, but he said they are "ecstatic" about the response so far. Not bad for products that have been out for a while already!

• Reply 22 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Superbass View Post

Wow, hope Apple has enough supply to keep up with all 11 of those customers!

Seriously, if this was the line for a Samsung/HTC/Nokia/Scary Movie 5 launch, you'd all be rolling around laughing at how pathetic it is....

Pathetic is when you're too blind to your own propaganda to realize that people are WAITING IN LINE FOR A SIX MONTH OLD PHONE.

It's not a launch, you useless troll. Shut up.

• Reply 23 of 46
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Exactly how many T-Mobile LTE markets are there that support the iPhone 5?  How many markets are HSPA or HSPA+?  The coverage maps on the T-Mobile website lump 3G and 4G (whatever they mean by 4G) together.

• Reply 24 of 46
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    john.b wrote: »
    Exactly how many T-Mobile LTE markets are there that support the iPhone 5?  How many markets are HSPA or HSPA+?  The coverage maps on the T-Mobile website lump 3G and 4G (whatever they mean by 4G) together.

I think their HSPA+ is quite extensive as they had to really push that in lieu of having a decent spectrum for growing LTE.

As for their LTE it's currently only covering 7 cities: Baltimore, MD; Kansas City, KS; Houston, TX; Las Vegas, NV; Phoenix, AZ; San Jose, CA and Washington D.C. That said, you'll likely hear people defend T-Mobile by saying that they only advertise a market as being covered when they have completely blanketed the entire market. While that is true it really don't give anyone wanting LTE on T-Mobile any info if they not in those 7 cities.

That said, one typically chooses T-Mobile for the cost savings, and for that their '3G' is up to 42Mbps which I'd think is more than adequate for the cost conscience.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Pathetic is when you're too blind to your own propaganda to realize that people are WAITING IN LINE FOR A SIX MONTH OLD PHONE.

It's not a launch, you useless troll. Shut up.

It's not surprising that there were lines because the vast majority of iPhone users on T-mobile were always 1 or 2 models behind so while we may see it as a 6 month old phone they see it as being 6 months ahead of schedule.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

If people are getting 20 + MB a second downloads on T-Mobile HSPC +, why does it matter? I barely get 6 MB downloads on my home broad band Internet, yet I am able to listen to Pandora, stream Netflix, download large files without waiting terribly long, surf the web, etc. Once you get to a certain speed, the speed becomes nothing more than marketing for most people.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think their HSPA+ is quite extensive as they had to really push that in lieu of having a decent spectrum for growing LTE.

As for their LTE it's currently only covering 7 cities: Baltimore, MD; Kansas City, KS; Houston, TX; Las Vegas, NV; Phoenix, AZ; San Jose, CA and Washington D.C. That said, you'll likely hear people defend T-Mobile by saying that they only advertise a market as being covered when they have completely blanketed the entire market. While that is true it really don't give anyone wanting LTE on T-Mobile any info if they not in those 7 cities.

That said, one typically chooses T-Mobile for the cost savings, and for that their '3G' is up to 42Mbps which I'd think is more than adequate for the cost conscience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If people are getting 20 + MB a second downloads on T-Mobile HSPC +, why does it matter? I barely get 6 MB downloads on my home broad band Internet, yet I am able to listen to Pandora, stream Netflix, download large files without waiting terribly long, surf the web, etc. Once you get to a certain speed, the speed becomes nothing more than marketing for most people.

Is it really too much to ask?  Shouldn't people be able to determine what sorts of speeds they should be able to expect from a "money saving" T-Mobile alternative?  Dropping from HSPA to 2G, for example, would be quite a hit to take if their iPhone 5 won't support "normal" 3G.

• Reply 28 of 46

Is it really too much to ask?  Shouldn't people be able to determine what sorts of speeds they should be able to expect from a "money saving" T-Mobile alternative?  Dropping from HSPA to 2G, for example, would be quite a hit to take if their iPhone 5 won't support "normal" 3G.

They don't show where they don't even have '3G" coverage? That's usually a huge drop but as TBell stated going from DC-HSDPAto LTE might not even be noticeable on the iPhone. You may even get faster speeds with HSPA+ than LTE under certain conditions.

I've stated many times before that I think the whole generational naming scheme toward customers is highly flawed. 384kbps is '3G' but we're also suppose to consider anything under LTE as '3G' even though HSPA+ is rated for 168Mbps? That's a difference of 448x between the two and we're suppose to call them all '3G'. I'm not even going to get into how people still call LTE '3G' if it's not LTE Advance. I would much prefer that the phone show a more useful value that is the lowest possible theoretical connection between the device and the tower. For instance, if you have a 42Mbps connection it might say 4x at the top inside of 3G denoting 4x10 = 40, rounded from 42. 100Mbps LTE would be 10x, and so on.
  • Reply 29 of 46

I got one last night but I think I will return it. The grass is not as green as I thought. To be honest this thing is more buggy than my nexus 4 running cyanogen mod 10.1 nightlies. Since I got this iPhone 5 I have had to power cycle it three times. I only power cycled my nexus 4 when I updated it twice a week. The battery life is also pretty bad. Maybe its just me but I can't use an unrelieble device. 

• Reply 30 of 46
    I got one last night but I think I will return it. The grass is not as green as I thought. To be honest this thing is more buggy than my nexus 4 running cyanogen mod 10.1 nightlies. Since I got this iPhone 5 I have had to power cycle it three times. I only power cycled my nexus 4 when I updated it twice a week. The battery life is also pretty bad. Maybe its just me but I can't use an unrelieble device. 

Apparently I'm patient but I don't see how I can be when your comment makes me want to virtually slap you upside the head Gibbs-style for posting what is either complete BS or user error.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

It's one thing to claim you don't like particular functionality, but claiming the iPhone 5 is unstable is a pretty big red flag that you're lying. As for battery life, everyone's mileage may vary but both my wife and I get minimum 2-3 days of life out of a charge - and I'm an above average data user.

• Reply 32 of 46

Quote:

You're funny.image

• Reply 33 of 46

What Kasper thinks we gain as a community by letting this level of sheer idiocy and lying remain is beyond me.

• Reply 34 of 46
    What Kasper thinks we gain as a community by letting this level of sheer idiocy and lying remain is beyond me.

It may not be "idiocy" as there is now evidence that Samsung hires people to talk smack about other companies and their products.

• Reply 35 of 46

It may not be "idiocy" as there is now evidence that Samsung hires people to talk smack about other companies and their products.

That seems like idiocy to me, but hey. image

We know Adobe did it during the fight for Flash in aught eight, and the biggest video game companies pay off people to fake viral marketing on forums. As they also pay off review websites for higher scores, I imagine the same could happen with Samsung and reviews of its products.

• Reply 36 of 46
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Well, not Samsung altogether, but at least the boss of that particular subdivision in Taiwan apparently thought it was a good idea.   Sounds like he's in trouble now.

Maybe he got the idea from the way the mainland Chinese government hired people to talk smack about Apple.

• Reply 37 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

It's one thing to claim you don't like particular functionality, but claiming the iPhone 5 is unstable is a pretty big red flag that you're lying. As for battery life, everyone's mileage may vary but both my wife and I get minimum 2-3 days of life out of a charge - and I'm an above average data user.

When I first got it I was getting atrocious data speeds so I powercycled it and then my speeds started to be acceptible. Than about four hours later i was attempting to download an app and it would not open. So I had to powercycle the phone once again. I also notice that unless I tap really hard on things in the appstore it does not read the touches. I restored the phone last night and I am still getting the issue in the app store where I have to press really hard to get a link to work.

Quote:

There is only one problem with that theory. I been a member on this website for 2 years now and I have been for the most part neutral on arguements. Before you say I am a Samsung drone look at my history. I am willing to accept the fact that I have a defective unit but to just dismiss this as me having a user issue because the iPhone 5 can't have problems is fooling your self.

• Reply 38 of 46

I am willing to accept the fact that I have a defective unit but to just dismiss this as me having a user issue because the iPhone 5 can't have problems is fooling your self.

You can certainly have had a user issue, and you can certainly have received a lemon. That wasn't ever in question.

YOU are dismissing the iPhone 5—as a concept—as defective.

• Reply 39 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You can certainly have had a user issue, and you can certainly have received a lemon. That wasn't ever in question.

YOU are dismissing the iPhone 5—as a concept—as defective.

Ok I have to agree with you here. I am going to return it tomorrow to the t-mobile store I got it from and try it from take two. I still don't think I can use a iPhone as a main phone and I most likely will give this phone to my older sister as a gift and go back to my nexus at the end of the week. I am such a awesome little brother. 

• Reply 40 of 46
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    When I first got it I was getting atrocious data speeds so I powercycled it and then my speeds started to be acceptible. Than about four hours later i was attempting to download an app and it would not open. So I had to powercycle the phone once again. I also notice that unless I tap really hard on things in the appstore it does not read the touches. I restored the phone last night and I am still getting the issue in the app store where I have to press really hard to get a link to work.

If that were a design issue, you'd be hearing a ton of complaints. The issues you are citing do not appear to be at all common - which suggests that it's an issue with that particular phone. Take it back to the Apple Store (or wherever you got it) and ask for a new one.