13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

When I first got it I was getting atrocious data speeds so I powercycled it and then my speeds started to be acceptible. Than about four hours later i was attempting to download an app and it would not open. So I had to powercycle the phone once again. I also notice that unless I tap really hard on things in the appstore it does not read the touches. I restored the phone last night and I am still getting the issue in the app store where I have to press really hard to get a link to work.

If that were a design issue, you'd be hearing a ton of complaints. The issues you are citing do not appear to be at all common - which suggests that it's an issue with that particular phone. Take it back to the Apple Store (or wherever you got it) and ask for a new one.

Agree, he should take his made-up iPhone back to a simulated Apple Store and exchange it for a pretend iPhone replacement.   image

• Reply 42 of 46

Quote:

Straight Talk doesn't get much press, but they seem to be doing quite well, also. I don't know if it's their presence at Walmart or their no-contract terms and unlimited everything pricing, but I suspect that it's some of both.

The big caveat with StraightTalk is that their terms and conditions specifically exclude tethering (aka, wifi hotspot) usage.  Which is for some of us a BIG attraction to smartphones.  Even though I'm limited to 6GB per month on total data with Verizon, it's adequate to meet all my web-surfing needs at home and allows me to avoid having to pay a cable company for internet.  True, I don't do much streaming at all, and do worry about autoplay adverts using up my data allocation, but for now it works.

From the ST T&C (April 2013):

6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE:  Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging and (iii) Internet browsing and ordinary content Downloads. The Straight Talk Unlimited Plan MAY NOT be used... as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. A person engaged in unauthorized uses may have his/her service throttled and/or terminated....

7. STRAIGHT TALK WIRELESS HOME PHONE UNLIMITED PLANS CANNOT BE USED FOR: (1) access to the Internet, intranets, or other data networks except as the device’s native applications and capabilities permit, or (2) any applications that tether your device to a laptop or personal computer other than for the use of Wireless Sync.

• Reply 43 of 46

Quote:

Straight Talk doesn't get much press, but they seem to be doing quite well, also. I don't know if it's their presence at Walmart or their no-contract terms and unlimited everything pricing, but I suspect that it's some of both. i know I don't like 2 year contracts and the enormous subsidies that the traditional carriers are charging and suspect that lots of others are in the same boat.

Straight Talk will cut you off for streaming content, i.e. YouTube, NetFlix, Pandora, etc.

• Reply 44 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Straight Talk will cut you off for streaming content, i.e. YouTube, NetFlix, Pandora, etc.

Doesn't sound like anyone would use it were that the case. jragosta, care to expound?

• Reply 45 of 46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Doesn't sound like anyone would use it were that the case. jragosta, care to expound?

http://offers.straighttalk.com/st-terms.htm

Quote:

6.    STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE:  Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store.  The Straight Talk Unlimited Plans MAY NOT be used for any other purpose.  Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls; (ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address; (iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections.  This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses may have his/her service terminated without notice or a refund.

• Reply 46 of 46
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

http://offers.straighttalk.com/st-terms.htm

Yeah, you quoted the ToS before. Quoting it again tells me nothing new. That's why I asked for perspective from an actual user of the system.

You'd think that if a person couldn't use freaking YouTube on a telecom's network that this would be more widely known.

"Streaming of audio" is also what you do when you listen to a preview of a song in the iTunes Store. So my service is going to be cut off for that? I don't think so.